Notre Dame vs Louisville - 3/04/18 | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Notre Dame vs Louisville - 3/04/18

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Isn't the tendency to leave college early one of the reason's Geno called the men's game a "joke" a few years ago?

I post in the other BY forums all the time but I don't post as much on this forum. I didn't realize Walz enjoyed a favorable reputation here? Raising an issue like this with an opposing coach during a handshake is simply unprofessional. The whole thing is contrived, imo.
Actually being passive aggressive in a press comference and not referencing another outstanding young woman by name is unprofessional. At least he had the guts to say it to her face. So your “qualifying” ND behavior as altruistic is not going to cut it here as maybe on the other BY threads because here, we are an actual rival of “that other school”. See what I did there?

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
So you would consider me lucky not to have to listen to her do the games this weekend? :rolleyes:

I don't mind her really..... and I have no idea what "the nail" is
I'm kind of neutral on her, but I didn't think this was as good as some other times I've heard her. The nail is a nail right at the center of the free throw line. She's been referring to it a lot this year. (I hadn't heard of it either)

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Yeah that's kind of rough--she definitely could have phrased that better. Can't blame Walz for standing up for his player...it makes sense too since McGraw was caught off guard by the comment and said, "what" to Jeff. Guessing Muffet didn't think anything of the comment when she made it. I think she's a great coach but she can have a bit of a sore loser streak to her.

I didn't think anything of what she said when when I read it either. At the same time, I can see why Walz didn't like it. Much ado about nothing as far as I'm concerned. Both coaches advocating for their player, as it should be.

And yes I don't think Muffet is too happy about Louisville getting the best of ND this year. At the same time, Walz is reveling in finally beating ND.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
upload_2018-3-5_1-18-53.png

Lol she looks like she's about to throw down.

Reaction Score
For me the Coach of the Year is Vic Schaefer regardless of what any other team does. Being undefeated tops what ND and Louisville has done. I'll agree ND has accomplished a lot considering the injuries they've had.
Being undefeated tops everything?...that means Geno should be COY!

Reaction Score
There is clearly prior animosity between Coach McGraw and Coach Walz, as evidenced by the cursory, dismissive handshake. She wanted no part of him, or congratulating him. And this is separate and apart from the friction between them over the perceived Durr slight. Will be an interesting rivalry to watch if Louisville can sustain its recent run of success in recruiting.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I didn't think anything of what she said when when I read it either. At the same time, I can see why Walz didn't like it. Much ado about nothing as far as I'm concerned. Both coaches advocating for their player, as it should be.

And yes I don't think Muffet is too happy about Louisville getting the best of ND this year. At the same time, Walz is reveling in finally beating ND.

I agree. I didn't think much about Muffet's quote when I first read it but reading it again yesterday I can see why Jeff was upset. As Jeff said, it's fine to advocate for your player but show some respect by at least referring to Durr by her name instead of "her" or "the person that won." As for whether the post-game handshake line was the best time and place to raise it, I'm not sure. Maybe Jeff could have taken to twitter like Muffet did a few years ago when it came to Coach P and referencing players by their uniform numbers:

Muffet McGraw ‏@MuffetMcGraw 5h
Darn, knew we forgot something on our trip this past weekend..note to self: remember to pack "Hello, my name is...stickers for #21,11 &15

I generally prefer the direct approach.

Edit: Thinking about this more this morning, the interaction had the feel of an ambush. Cameras rolling, Muffet not expecting more than a handshake and "good game" comment. Muffet needed to hear from Jeff directly but not at that moment.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
For me the Coach of the Year is Vic Schaefer regardless of what any other team does. Being undefeated tops what ND and Louisville has done. I'll agree ND has accomplished a lot considering the injuries they've had.

Oops.

Reaction Score
I agree. I didn't think much about Muffet's quote when I first read it but reading it again yesterday I can see why Jeff was upset. As Jeff said, it's fine to advocate for your player but show some respect by at least referring to Durr by her name instead of "her" or "the person that won." As for whether the post-game handshake line was the best time and place to raise it, I'm not sure. Maybe Jeff could have taken to twitter like Muffet did a few years ago when it came to Coach P and referencing players by their uniform numbers:

Darn, knew we forgot something on our trip this past weekend..note to self: remember to pack "Hello, my name is...stickers for #21,11 &15

Edit: Thinking about this more this morning, the interaction had the feel of an ambush. Cameras rolling, Muffet not expecting more than a handshake and "good game" comment. Muffet needed to hear from Jeff directly but not at that moment.

It was an ambush. Your team just won their first ACC tournament and you choose to be classless and petty on national tv and make it about your hurt feelings. Small man syndrome. Pick up the phone if you don’t like what she said.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score

So with you on this. Will be interesting if this is taken up by the administration due to the particular climate and the fact that he had her arm and wouldn't let go.

Reaction Score
It was an ambush. Your team just won their first ACC tournament and you choose to be classless and petty on national tv and make it about your hurt feelings. Small man syndrome. Pick up the phone if you don’t like what she said.
I'm sure ND will be waiting for the meeting next year when they are going to a) return their four leading starters b) plug Turner back into the lineup, plus get the Freshman Vaughn back and c) get a couple of McD AA guards that can actually give them depth more than 7 players. They should feel proud for their effort, but next year it looks like ND will take back the crown.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure. Maybe Jeff could have taken to twitter like Muffet did a few years ago when it came to Coach P and referencing players by their uniform numbers:

I’m pretty sure McGraw has done the same thing, maybe just not as frequently that it’s known as her thing to do. I don’t see the big deal. There’s a reason why there are numbers on the jerseys in the first place... makes the players easier to identify. So if McCallie is referring to opposing players as their numbers in the huddles and does the same thing in the press conference immediately afterwards, it’s just a force of habit thing or how she remembers the players instead of a deliberate show of disrespect. McGraw’s tweet is different. She had time to think about what she was tweeting. She knew the name of the player who was named ACC Player of the Year, but she chose not promote this player in her tweet. Say her name, say her name. Who’s that player who went 2-0 against ND this year?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I’m pretty sure McGraw has done the same thing, maybe just not as frequently that it’s known as her thing to do. I don’t see the big deal. There’s a reason why there are numbers on the jerseys in the first place... makes the players easier to identify. So if McCallie is referring to opposing players as their numbers in the huddles and does the same thing in the press conference immediately afterwards, it’s just a force of habit thing or how she remembers the players instead of a deliberate show of disrespect. McGraw’s tweet is different. She had time to think about what she was tweeting. She knew the name of the player who was named ACC Player of the Year, but she chose not promote this player in her tweet. Say her name, say her name. Who’s that player who went 2-0 against ND this year?

We first noticed McCallie referring to players by their #s back when Maya played. She would refer to Maya as #23. I recall hearing the explanation was that she didn't want her players to be too caught up in an opponent's name, reputation, etc. I'm sure her players were convinced that #23 for UConn was nothing special.

If she thinks that works with her players then fine. But carrying over that practice when talking to the media is dehumanizing, disrespectful and weird. If you forget a player's name at that moment, fine. But McCallie does it because she wants to do it. Call them by their names. These are 18-22 year old women.

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
McGraw’s tweet is different. She had time to think about what she was tweeting. She knew the name of the player who was named ACC Player of the Year, but she chose not promote this player in her tweet. Say her name, say her name. Who’s that player who went 2-0 against ND this year?

She didn't make the tweet. The tweet was made by a local reporter who was quoting her. And, of course, she was only 1-0 against ND this year at the time the comments were made.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Part of the big deal is that these are some of the same kids that these coaches were recruiting in HS so these coaches surely know thier names. When a kid that you were recruiting lights you up suddenly you forget her name? Asia Durr final choices came down to Duke, ND and Louisville. If these coaches know there names no need to use anything else.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score

"But some time long ago, a player or a coach noticed the nail or the hole and started using it to refine free throws. The tradition of using "the nail" has been passed down to generations of basketball players. But when and how that tradition started, nobody seems to know."

When I played rec league ball in elementary and middle school, our coach didn't share this secret with us. No wonder I was so terrible at making free throws! Is it too later for a do-over???

Reaction Score
I don’t think she was worried about the graduation rate or how much money Jewell was going to make in the WNBA.
Jewell leaving early cost Muffett big the next season. Sure they still dominated the lowly overrated ACC but it hurt any chance at UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom