Notre Dame vs Louisville - 3/04/18 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Notre Dame vs Louisville - 3/04/18

Reaction Score
Congrats to Louisville. For Winning the ACC Tournament, you'll get Baylor in your region.
If Baylor is in Louisville Region, you know ESPN and others will be talking about the Previous Upset and Baylor will be looking for Payback.

Will we ever know what Jeff said to Muffet?
Baylor eliminated Cards by 33 points last year in Sweet 16. Payback time? I doubt it.

Reaction Score
Interesting that there have been no comments on the physical aspect of the "handshake" between the two. MM clearly wanted to do the perfunctory "drive by" handshake and even though she was at least a stride past him, he didn't release the handshake and literally pulled her back almost turning her around. He kept the grip so he could lean over and say whatever he said. That clearly irritated MM and as he finally let go of her and then turned away, she grabbed his arm as if to say "What did you say?"

Pretty classless on Walz's part in my opinion. Can't blame him for being upset at MM's earlier comments about Durr, but he had lots of other opportunities to respond and picked exactly the wrong time and manner to get it off his chest. Hardly the gracious winner.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Interesting that there have been no comments on the physical aspect of the "handshake" between the two. MM clearly wanted to do the perfunctory "drive by" handshake and even though she was at least a stride past him, he didn't release the handshake and literally pulled her back almost turning her around. He kept the grip so he could lean over and say whatever he said. That clearly irritated MM and as he finally let go of her and then turned away, she grabbed his arm as if to say "What did you say?"

Pretty classless on Walz's part in my opinion. Can't blame him for being upset at MM's earlier comments about Durr, but he had lots of other opportunities to respond and picked exactly the wrong time and manner to get it off his chest. Hardly the gracious winner.

I commented on it! I need some credit here :)

I wouldn't pick either coach to give classes on class.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Me too.

So what were the words between Walz and McGraw? Seemed Walz was the initiator? Maybe he did not like Muffet giving an icy handshake?

Reaction Score
Louisville's first conference tournament championship since 1993 (Metro conf).
And with that auto bid, the Cards played a then-unheralded team in the NCAAs.

(Last time UConn didnt make the Sweet 16.)

Reaction Score
I wouldn't pick either coach to give classes on class.

Here's how supportive McGraw was about Jewell Loyd declaring early for the draft.

“It’s just mind-blowing that anyone would choose to leave early,” McGraw said. “It’s a really bad decision for women especially to try and leave early. They’re not going to make the money that men make.”

Self-serving viewpoint instead of being supportive of a player's decision. Not classy.

JS

Reaction Score
His first comment: "I think they know Asia Durr's name now" possibly suggests the issue?
Right.

Q. I wanted to ask the players, what it feels like to snag this title away from Notre Dame, but just a quick question for Coach, first. Anything you want to share about your post game handshake with Muffet?
JEFF WALZ: No, I just wanted to make sure she knew who Asia Durr was. The comment that she felt Arike should have been Player of the Year because she had more rebounds, more assists, which is fine, but at least, instead of saying "the other player that won," just have the common courtesy to say her name. So I just wanted to make sure she knew who Asia was. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. You know, I'm going to stand up for my player.

Everybody has an opinion of who they thought should have won this or should have won that, and that's okay. But I just would much rather have someone say, hey, instead of the other player, just at least have the respect to say their name, that's all.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Wasn't sure but at the end of the FSU game yesterday Muffet was talking to one of her players so that it looked like she didn't shake hands with the FSU coach. I wasn't sure if it was intentional or not. Do those two coaches have issues?

It wasnt intentional..... They shook hands afterwards... as the handshake line was finished... Muffett stopped Semau

Reaction Score
Right.

Q. I wanted to ask the players, what it feels like to snag this title away from Notre Dame, but just a quick question for Coach, first. Anything you want to share about your post game handshake with Muffet?
JEFF WALZ: No, I just wanted to make sure she knew who Asia Durr was. The comment that she felt Arike should have been Player of the Year because she had more rebounds, more assists, which is fine, but at least, instead of saying "the other player that won," just have the common courtesy to say her name. So I just wanted to make sure she knew who Asia was. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. You know, I'm going to stand up for my player.

Everybody has an opinion of who they thought should have won this or should have won that, and that's okay. But I just would much rather have someone say, hey, instead of the other player, just at least have the respect to say their name, that's all.

Spot on Coach Waltz

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I have my fingers crossed for a strong attendance showing. I hate seeing good games with a half filled arena! Let us know.

7,424 was the official attendance. Highest attended championship game since 2014. Not too bad for a game in central NC between a team from KY and one from Indiana. Great mix of ages and races and genders. Sat next to a 90 year old grandmother from upstate NY...... in front of me were two college aged females ...... on the other side were a 30 something year old family with two youngsters in tow.

Reaction Score
Muffet didn't mention her by name? My my tisk tisk... hey for years we have seen from Coach P.... #23 not Maya..... # x not player y by name....

she wants her player promoted for POY fine.... Jeff sticks up for his player fine....

but this today.... just seems to show Jeff as an idiot..... .

Reaction Score
Right.

"What's my name?!?!"

upload_2018-3-4_17-51-22.png

Reaction Score
Here's how supportive McGraw was about Jewell Loyd declaring early for the draft.

Self-serving viewpoint instead of being supportive of a player's decision. Not classy.

ND coaches in all sports regularly say things like that. Anything that compromises the #1 graduation rate (across all sports) is a no-no.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Not one of her better days. But I think her frequent mentions of "the nail" would make for a pretty good drinking game.

So you would consider me lucky not to have to listen to her do the games this weekend? :rolleyes:

I don't mind her really..... and I have no idea what "the nail" is

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
ND coaches in all sports regularly say things like that. Anything that compromises the #1 graduation rate (across all sports) is a no-no.
So, did you get permission from McGraws Bench to come on the BY and shill for ND?:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I don’t think she was worried about the graduation rate or how much money Jewell was going to make in the WNBA.

Isn't the tendency to leave college early one of the reason's Geno called the men's game a "joke" a few years ago?

So, did you get permission from McGraws Bench to come on the BY and shill for ND?:rolleyes:

I post in the other BY forums all the time but I don't post as much on this forum. I didn't realize Walz enjoyed a favorable reputation here? Raising an issue like this with an opposing coach during a handshake is simply unprofessional. The whole thing is much ado about nothing, imo.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom