Notre Dame inadvertently shows how difficult 87 straight is | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Notre Dame inadvertently shows how difficult 87 straight is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I added some color. Anyone can find her presser on Youtube, and watch/listen to it again. I read her body language, listened to every word that came out of her mouth, and read between the lines. You're right, she did not say "verbatim" that she had lost respect for Geno, but it sounded that way to ME!!! You don't say the things she said about anyone you respect. I'm very comfortable with my understanding of what she said, and what she meant during that presser.

I do agree with you - and I think MM went over-the-top. Listen to around the 2:20 mark. And before that Muffett did speak at one time that UCONN and ND were civil and had respect. Then when you hear her comments at 2:15 onward while taking in her past comment on the below link in which she stated that they previously had respect for one another - I don't see how anyone can't follow your line of reasoning that she did lose respect for Geno. A couple of comments from Muffett on the link below: ". . . I think she (Summitt) role-modeled how to be gracious in victory as well as defeat. . . . And I think the game and sportsmanship has lost a lot when we lost her (Summit)."

I agree with you and Gus - when you put up quotes it should be. Or very, very close.

I feel so compelled to go off on Muffett and The University of Dame at this moment -- but not worth it. I don't hate Muffett. I probably would if she beat us more because then imo she'd rub our nose in it for a little bit. It's not worth posting as of today a possible future imaginary fight between UCONN/Geno and ND/Muffett. More interesting topics to discuss but I believe we have a coach at ND that truly hates us which is okay as long as we can keep her/them at bay.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I added some color. Anyone can find her presser on Youtube, and watch/listen to it again. I read her body language, listened to every word that came out of her mouth, and read between the lines. You're right, she did not say "verbatim" that she had lost respect for Geno, but it sounded that way to ME!!! You don't say the things she said about anyone you respect. I'm very comfortable with my understanding of what she said, and what she meant during that presser.

I guess we all live in an alternate reality sometimes.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Some questions:

1. How are the duties divided among the ND asst coaches? I guess Ivey is heavily involved in recruiting. How about post players and guard development?

Yes, Ivey is the Recruiting Coordinator. She coaches the guards (Allen, Johnson, Ogunbowale, Patberg). Beth Cunningham coaches the wings (Young, Mabrey, Boley). Carol Owens coaches the posts (Turner, Westbeld, Nelson, Thompson).

Reaction Score
I guess we all live in an alternate reality sometimes.
I guess I am missing something here. easttexastrash, are you saying that Carnac's post and his perception is so far off that it is an alternate reality? We all heard what she said. What was your understanding of what she meant? Since I am following this thread I want to get a clear view of each posters position.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I do agree with you - and I think MM went over-the-top. Listen to around the 2:20 mark. And before that Muffett did speak at one time that UCONN and ND were civil and had respect. Then when you hear her comments at 2:15 onward while taking in her past comment on the below link in which she stated that they previously had respect for one another - I don't see how anyone can't follow your line of reasoning that she did lose respect for Geno. A couple of comments from Muffett on the link below: ". . . I think she (Summitt) role-modeled how to be gracious in victory as well as defeat. . . . And I think the game and sportsmanship has lost a lot when we lost her (Summit)."

I agree with you and Gus - when you put up quotes it should be. Or very, very close.

I feel so compelled to go off on Muffett and The University of Dame at this moment -- but not worth it. I don't hate Muffett. I probably would if she beat us more because then imo she'd rub our nose in it for a little bit. It's not worth posting as of today a possible future imaginary fight between UCONN/Geno and ND/Muffett. More interesting topics to discuss but I believe we have a coach at ND that truly hates us which is okay as long as we can keep her/them at bay.

To be clear to everyone, this is from April 2014 when UConn was going for their 9th NC and MM makes mention to PT Summitt no longer coaching. While I have irritation issues with MM, I do believe further discussions on the rivalry occurred after this came out. I thought they did a renewal of the series of home/home games so it was reconciled to some degree which I am sure some of the other BYers can give further clarity on.

Reaction Score
I have the same amazement regarding Lou and I also reflect on what could have led anyone to think that she has the warrior gene and wanted to diversify her game so much. At HS, she was an incredible shooter and good passer but I dont think she had any real desire to play inside and get her nose bloody.

I guess the most tangible clue was the fact that she chose UConn over Stanford where her sisters played thereby displaying a very deep courage to push out of her comfort zone and we are very grateful for that decision. Keep this trajectory and I think she can be NPOY

As an aside, I vaguely recall CGA relaying his discussion with DT regarding the number she would wear as a Husky and, iirc, she wanted 0 or 00. Coach said What kind of number that? and she ends up with Babe Ruth's #. Lou's wearing Bird's. I think that says something about her intentions.

Reaction Score
To be clear to everyone, this is from April 2014 when UConn was going for their 9th NC and MM makes mention to PT Summitt no longer coaching. While I have irritation issues with MM, I do believe further discussions on the rivalry occurred after this came out. I thought they did a renewal of the series of home/home games so it was reconciled to some degree which I am sure some of the other BYers can give further clarity on.

This was at its peak. In 2014 season this was the season in which they were both undefeated and Muffett went off the deep end. She may have continued in 2015 a bit. But if I recall before the game started Geno and Muffett shared a laugh on the court and from what I understand they met during an AAU game and she said something to the effect that she may have gone too far.

In 2015 she was still hostile but nothing like 2014, right?

UCONNHUSKIES.COM :: University of Connecticut Huskies Official Athletic Site :: Women's Basketball

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I guess I am missing something here. easttexastrash, are you saying that Carnac's post and his perception is so far off that it is an alternate reality? We all heard what she said. What was your understanding of what she meant? Since I am following this thread I want to get a clear view of each posters position.

My point was that a lot of "reading between the lines" was presented as factual information.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
My point was that a lot of "reading between the lines" was presented as factual information.

ET, don't let my mis-use of quotation marks confuse you. I have not forgotten Muffet's tirades 2 year's ago during the NCAA finals, when she deliberately went off on Geno during several press conferences, saying that "the civility has been lost at the top of WCBB". She sounds like she has lost all respect for, and has no use for Geno. I think we can all remember his answer to her comments.

Don't lose sight of the forest for the trees. You are more hung up on my mis-use of quotaion marks that the jest of my comment. Whether she actually said it verbatim or not, she lost respect for the man, and I don't particularly care for her. THAT is what I was attempting to convey.

I don't get hung up on people mis-use of words, spelling or grammar. I see it all the time. Everyone that posts here is not college educated. Most folks do the best they can. I've never tried to correct another grown person on any thread I've been on. It's not my place to do so. I'm not the grammar police. I'm more interested in understanding their take or comment.

I could not care less if their comment is grammatically correct or not. I'm not that critical of other people. I have no problem accepting others for who or what they are. They don't have to fit in MY box to be accepted. I also disagree with your notion that "we all live in an alternate reality sometimes", we don't. I certainly don't! I'm still very comfortable with my understanding of what she said, and what she meant.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
ET, don't let my mis-use of quotation marks confuse you. I have not forgotten Muffet's tirades 2 year's ago during the NCAA finals, when she deliberately went off on Geno during several press conferences, saying that "the civility has been lost at the top of WCBB". She sounds like she has lost all respect for, and has no use for Geno. I think we can all remember his answer to her comments.

Don't lose sight of the forest for the trees. You are more hung up on my mis-use of quotaion marks that the jest of my comment. Whether she actually said it verbatim or not, she lost respect for the man, and I don't particularly care for her. THAT is what I was attempting to convey.

I don't get hung up on people mis-use of words, spelling or grammar. I see it all the time. Everyone that posts here is not college educated. Most folks do the best they can. I've never tried to correct another grown person on any thread I've been on. It's not my place to do so. I'm not the grammar police. I'm more interested in understanding their take or comment.

I could not care less if their comment is grammatically correct or not. I'm not that critical of other people. I have no problem accepting others for who or what they are. They don't have to fit in MY box to be accepted. I also disagree with your notion that "we all live in an alternate reality sometimes", we don't. I certainly don't! I'm still very comfortable with my understanding of what she said, and what she meant.
But ... quotation marks are a very exact thing - they mean that this is exactly what was said, not a paraphrase or a further exposition of what was meant, and to misuse them in that way is misleading. It is not the same as a misspelling or misuse of a word or incorrect grammar because the use of the quotes is like swearing on a bible - it is saying this is the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
I agree on the gist of your statement, but I agree very much with ETT on having an issue with the use of quotes. I personally attribute that whole two week period to Muffett ranging out of her depth - she has never been great with media relations and she tried to take Geno on at his own game with disastrous results. I never felt it was malicious, just awkward and inept.

I know that sounds a little pedantic re quotation marks, but we are in an age where opinions have been substituted for facts, and repeating lies often enough gets them accepted as truth. I applaud those who stick up for standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom