Notre Dame inadvertently shows how difficult 87 straight is | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Notre Dame inadvertently shows how difficult 87 straight is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With the ND loss and South Carolina's loss thrown in, I have to agree with a poster who said "We have reached parity in WBB." Yes, every one is equaling fighting to join UConn in the final four. Last year, didn't we have three new teams expand the group of title contenders. Oh yea, all the others-- Cudda been a contender. That's cause UConn is the Champion for now. Seems like we might get a few new teams to contend this year again. Florida State and Kansas State are two new dangerous teams--relatively speaking.
On another issue, last year we had three teams with the "Character" to win as JordyG said. Washington, Syracuse and Oregon State had the character to overcome odds and make the illusive final four. I might call JordyG's "Character"--mental toughness, strong Belief, or iron mind-set, or relentless pursuit of perfection, or Hungriest team, or positive expectancy, or plain old wantsitmore. One word.
I know what you are saying JordG. And I have to agree that "Character" is less obvious in many endeavors of life these days. Not just basketball. Those few who have character in high doses usually succeed at a higher rate--IMHO. That's in basketball or life in general.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I keep seeing K-State being listed as a "dangerous" team. I just don't see this one. I know they played UCONN pretty well but Baylor ran roughshod over the Wildcats and could have beaten them by 40 - 50 had Kim not given the bench almost 50% of the playing time. Not that it is a bad bench.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
"the civility has been lost at the top of WCBB, and that she really lost respect for, and has no use for Geno".

I remember her saying that the civility had been lost, but I don't remember her saying that she has lost resepect for and has no use for Geno. Is that an actual quote or are you adding some color to her comment?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Certainly though the Baylor game is a prime example of my premise, as was the Maryland game.

Maybe I read that wrong, but it sounds like you just said that Baylor and Maryland are lacking in character.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I keep seeing K-State being listed as a "dangerous" team. I just don't see this one. I know they played UCONN pretty well but Baylor ran roughshod over the Wildcats and could have beaten them by 40 - 50 had Kim not given the bench almost 50% of the playing time. Not that it is a bad bench.
Baylor should beat them easily, though I suspect the return match-up on their home court may be a little tighter - while Baylor has generally risen above the pack in terms of their road performance, a lot of lesser teams really struggle on the road, especially teams on the rise. It is a learning curve that I remember Baylor going through early in the Griner years - figuring out that consistency regardless of location, getting a travel routine down.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Rocky, you know the Irish have no love for us. They would revel like it was 11:59 pm (and the ball was descending) on new year's eve, if we were to lose a game. So pardon me if I do a jig for a moment, and raise a toast to North Carolina State for a job well done. :) I don't like to hold on to grudges BUT.........I have not forgotten Muffet's tirades 2 year's ago during the NCAA finals, when she deliberately went off on Geno during several press conferences, saying that "the civility has been lost at the top of WCBB, and that she really lost respect for, and has no use for Geno". I think we can all remember his answer to her comments.

She put the spotlight on herself (which may have been her intent), and it back fired on her. I remember Doris Burke making it a point to reference her remarks during the TV broadcast, totally disagreeing with her, saying that Geno (and staff) has been cordial and gracious every time she has encountered him. Sorry, it may take me a few more years to get THAT memory out of my consciousness. Right now, I'm a happy man, hoping for more ND losses...soon! :cool:

I, too, would do a jig over ND's loss, but my jig muscles were to so rom all my jigging over the Maryland results. :p

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Baylor should beat them easily, though I suspect the return match-up on their home court may be a little tighter - while Baylor has generally risen above the pack in terms of their road performance, a lot of lesser teams really struggle on the road, especially teams on the rise. It is a learning curve that I remember Baylor going through early in the Griner years - figuring out that consistency regardless of location, getting a travel routine down.

Well, their two best players are seniors, so if they curve anymore they will be curving right into graduation. It's not as if this is a team lead by a bunch of underclassmen.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Wow!!!!! A UConn win, and a Notre Dame loss (to an unranked team). It doesn't get any better than THAT!!!!! :D
Thank goodness. We can finally drop Norte Dame to a more deserving ranking. I still am confused as to how they lost to UCONN at home and didn't drop ANY.

I presume MD won't drop any, either.
ETT, I believe that Baylor is the #2 team in the country. I believe that they were dropped by the pollmeisters after their loss to UCONN because UCONN was suspect off their graduation losses, and Baylor's loss coming just after a suspect UCONN performance against a suspect team(FSU) . FSU has shown they are a good team, and with each UCONN victory there is less if any of the punishment like that meted out to Baylor for UCONN's more recent vanquished opponents. I posted back then that Baylor was #2, and that neither team should be punished for scheduling UCONN.

As a relative newcomer, I am happy to see you and other out-of-towners supporting the BY dialog. Like those very rare immigrants to Tristan da Cunha, you improve the bloodlines here.
upload_2016-12-31_11-51-56.png

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
ETT, I believe that Baylor is the #2 team in the country. I believe that they were dropped by the pollmeisters after their loss to UCONN because UCONN was suspect off their graduation losses, and Baylor's loss coming just after a suspect UCONN performance against a suspect team(FSU) . FSU has shown they are a good team, and with each UCONN victory there is less if any of the punishment like that meted out to Baylor for UCONN's more recent vanquished opponents. I posted back then that Baylor was #2, and that neither team should be punished for scheduling UCONN.

As a relative newcomer, I am happy to see you and other out-of-towners supporting the BY dialog. Like those very rare immigrants to Tristan da Cunha, you improve the bloodlines here.
. View attachment 18134

Thanks for the kind words.

And I think you are 100% correct that Baylor was punished more by the pollsters because Baylor was expected, by many, to win that game, not knowing how good UCONN really is. So when Baylor lost to UCONN it looked like a "bad" loss for Baylor, as if there is ever a bad loss to UCONN. By the time Notre Dame and Maryland played UCONN, UCONN was the favorite so a loss by those two teams didn't seem like a "bad" loss.

Reaction Score
Some questions:

1. How are the duties divided among the ND asst coaches? I guess Ivey is heavily involved in recruiting. How about post players and guard development?
2. Before the 2016-17 season started, Tara made a comment about the UConn team - how surprised she would be if the team goes beyond a certain point in the NCAA tournament. I cannot recall it. Please help. She might have been responding to some questions put to her by the media.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Maybe I read that wrong, but it sounds like you just said that Baylor and Maryland are lacking in character.
For that one game both were beaten not by talent but by grit. By determination. By a willingness to sell out. UConn just wanted THAT ONE GAME more. It wasn't a lack of character on Baylor or Maryland's part AT ALL. Not what I meant. It's just that UConn had more, and still does. Don't forget. I from the start have said Baylor is the best team UConn has seen this year and will see all year. I have said their talent level exceeds everyone else. That was me.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
For that one game both were beaten not by talent but by grit. By determination. By a willingness to sell out. UConn just wanted THAT ONE GAME more. It wasn't a lack of character on Baylor or Maryland's part AT ALL. Not what I meant. It's just that UConn had more, and still does. Don't forget. I from the start have said Baylor is the best team UConn has seen this year and will see all year. I have said their talent level exceeds everyone else. That was me.

I agree that UCONN had more grit and wanted the game more. I think Baylor came in overconfident and got their tails spanked as a result. I am hopeful that everyone is right and that playing UCONN in the regular season will make Baylor a better team that is more prepared the next go-round.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I agree that UCONN had more grit and wanted the game more. I think Baylor came in overconfident and got their tails spanked as a result. I am hopeful that everyone is right and that playing UCONN in the regular season will make Baylor a better team that is more prepared the next go-round.
We spoke of this before. I think Mulkey's decision to finally stop playing powderpuffs AND playing almost everything in Waco is the best move she's ever made. IF UConn makes it to the FF, Baylor will be waiting, I'm sure.

I don't think Baylor came in overconfident. They came in appropriately confident, and that's the first step in beating an Auriemma led squad. Most teams walk in thinking doomed from the start. That was, again, to Mulkey's credit. As I've said to you before, I've been critical of Mulkey's on court behavior and sometimes questionable on court decisions. I think they've cost her teams points and games. I've said to you she's a world class recruiter and a very good, not great coach. But my respect for Mulkey as a person and basketball mind has grown beyond old proportions. I've said she's the type of person I wouldn't mind being in a foxhole with. I still believe that. I also have respect for Karen Aston, another fine person.

Yet when you and I watch these UConn players, both of us have to agree we've never quite seen a team so willing to walk the razor's edge with a shrug. Looking at Lou, did Geno know this young lady had it in her, or was he just willing to annex that talent and roll the dice? Clearly he knew Gabby and Collier were competitors and would scrap to the end. But Lou? I don't think even her parents thought she had this Minotaur within her lying within that California maze. But it's there. For Baylor to beat this steadily improving and young UConn team it will take a team effort of Baylor ladies willing to sell out just as much. That's going to be a hard job for Mulkey with such a deep, young, talented team that has faced only one real challenge, not the multitude that UConn has faced. I know you think she can do it. I think she'd better do it now or next year all is lost.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If Connecticut and Maryland meet in the Final Four, Lou will not be throwing up into a bucket, and unless the referees lose their glasses again, Napheesa will not foul out. The fouls on her two blocks were ridiculous. She should have had only three fouls. Her foul trouble and Lou being sick took away at least 10 points from UConn.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I remember her saying that the civility had been lost, but I don't remember her saying that she has lost resepect for and has no use for Geno. Is that an actual quote or are you adding some color to her comment?

That's the way it sounded to me. She was dead serious when she said it. How did it sound to you? How much respect do you think she had for Geno at that moment? Sounds like she lost what ever she had for him to me. You don't emasculate someone in public (during a press conference) that you respect. That's how I see it. You may see it differently.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
That's the way it sounded to me. She was dead serious when she said it. How did it sound to you? How much respect do you think she had for Geno at that moment? Sounds like she lost what ever she had for him to me. You don't emasculate someone in public (during a press conference) that you respect. That's how I see it. You may see it differently.
Carnac: You put the words in quotes, which means you were directly quoting her. What it sounded like--what you infer--is one thing; what she literally said is another. It's not a matter of someone else seeing things differently.

Reaction Score
Went and googled the war of words , Muffet said while in the big east and having beat UCONN several times she never felt ND got the respect from UCONN

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
We spoke of this before. I think Mulkey's decision to finally stop playing powderpuffs AND playing almost everything in Waco is the best move she's ever made. IF UConn makes it to the FF, Baylor will be waiting, I'm sure.

I don't think Baylor came in overconfident. They came in appropriately confident, and that's the first step in beating an Auriemma led squad. Most teams walk in thinking doomed from the start. That was, again, to Mulkey's credit. As I've said to you before, I've been critical of Mulkey's on court behavior and sometimes questionable on court decisions. I think they've cost her teams points and games. I've said to you she's a world class recruiter and a very good, not great coach. But my respect for Mulkey as a person and basketball mind has grown beyond old proportions. I've said she's the type of person I wouldn't mind being in a foxhole with. I still believe that. I also have respect for Karen Aston, another fine person.

Yet when you and I watch these UConn players, both of us have to agree we've never quite seen a team so willing to walk the razor's edge with a shrug. Looking at Lou, did Geno know this young lady had it in her, or was he just willing to annex that talent and roll the dice? Clearly he knew Gabby and Collier were competitors and would scrap to the end. But Lou? I don't think even her parents thought she had this Minotaur within her lying within that California maze. But it's there. For Baylor to beat this steadily improving and young UConn team it will take a team effort of Baylor ladies willing to sell out just as much. That's going to be a hard job for Mulkey with such a deep, young, talented team that has faced only one real challenge, not the multitude that UConn has faced. I know you think she can do it. I think she'd better do it now or next year all is lost.

I have the same amazement regarding Lou and I also reflect on what could have led anyone to think that she has the warrior gene and wanted to diversify her game so much. At HS, she was an incredible shooter and good passer but I dont think she had any real desire to play inside and get her nose bloody.

I guess the most tangible clue was the fact that she chose UConn over Stanford where her sisters played thereby displaying a very deep courage to push out of her comfort zone and we are very grateful for that decision. Keep this trajectory and I think she can be NPOY

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Went and googled the war of words , Muffet said while in the big east and having beat UCONN several times she never felt ND got the respect from UCONN

Sounds like the circle of life. When Geno came on the scene and ripped the heart out of Pat Summit and Tennessee, I am sure she was not very complementary. That is human nature. Nobody that high on top wants to be beaten. Just natural competition. It is one thing if she was on the other side of the country but sharing the Big East, you better have your game face on.

Besides, the real competition was not conference play but tournament play and we dominated when it really mattered.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I remember her saying that the civility had been lost, but I don't remember her saying that she has lost respect for and has no use for Geno. Is that an actual quote or are you adding some color to her comment?

I added some color. Anyone can find her presser on Youtube, and watch/listen to it again. I read her body language, listened to every word that came out of her mouth, and read between the lines. You're right, she did not say "verbatim" that she had lost respect for Geno, but it sounded that way to ME!!! You don't say the things she said about anyone you respect. I'm very comfortable with my understanding of what she said, and what she meant during that presser.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Carnac: You put the words in quotes, which means you were directly quoting her. What it sounded like--what you infer--is one thing; what she literally said is another. It's not a matter of someone else seeing things differently.

Thanks Gus, I got it. I'll be more careful with my quotation marks in the future.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
As an addendum, I've also seen many teams with lesser all around talent and the lesser character win because they've had the transcendent player such as the Jordan team's vs the Celtic team's. But again, that's hardly all things being equal. I think I'm coming over as a jerk. In the long view your experience totally trumps mine, so I'll agree to your opinion over mine. And have a good New Year.
JordyG, I did not take exception to your reply and enjoy the dialogue! Thank you though for the thoughtful afterthought. In NDs case, I don't think they are as well coached. I also think MM does her team no favors in touting Turner and Allen as the top players yet seeing them come up woefully short in critical situations. Think how Geno handled D or Stewie during their run. He was always very hard on them in the press when they deserved it and did "promote" them as MM has done. Happy New Year's BYers!!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If Connecticut and Maryland meet in the Final Four, Lou will not be throwing up into a bucket, and unless the referees lose their glasses again, Napheesa will not foul out. The fouls on her two blocks were ridiculous. She should have had only three fouls. Her foul trouble and Lou being sick took away at least 10 points from UConn.
I saw the game in person and watched the replay later that night. I agree that at least 2 fouls on Pheesa were bogus.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Thanks for looking that up, good job! It shows where her angst may be coming from. On the same note though, when ND was beating UConn 7 of 8 games, they won ZERO NCs so why is UConn to be worried? MM last won in 2001 so the drought may be causing some dehydration issues in her mind!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Maryland looked way better in a loss to UConn than Notre Dame looked in their loss to the Huskies... I think Maryland actually ran out of time, they were gaining momentum as the game ended..

That was entirely the (lack of) Collier effect. When she got back in the game late she scored in seconds. Foul trouble is the only thing that can beat this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom