Notre Dame inadvertently shows how difficult 87 straight is | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Notre Dame inadvertently shows how difficult 87 straight is

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Notre Dame is not particularly athletic, not particularly quick; their world's best point can get passive and their world-class post, is slightly unmotivated...a world class BB body...some how the wiring between her ears doesn't allow her to compete...say, at the level that a Katie Lou did last night.

A pretty damning commentary about a good but not great team.
Maybe not even very good.

JordyG

Reaction Score
No doubt Maryland played great, but I would offer that the fourth quarter was more a product of UConn running out of the allowable number of fouls, rather than Maryland "running out of time". At the very least, many of those 4thQ Maryland layups would have been contested had Williams and Collier not been in serious foul trouble.... and the final winning margin might have been quite different.
I think there were any number of reasons the score was as close as it was. All the adversity was on the blue side of the court: Any number of sick players, foul trouble, a short bench, and fatigue at the end of the game. Take away any of these four and the win would've been double digits. Although Maryland is a good team that played well, I believe some of us have given them too much credit when it comes to the rankings. I think Baylor beats these guys on a neutral court.

Reaction Score
Surprisingly, Notre Dame just isn't as good this year. They don't have the depth they did a year ago since they traded out Cable/Mabrey/Huffman for Young/Boley/Patberg who are not ready to contribute in high level basketball games. Turner looks about the same as she did a year ago--which in her defense, she was rehabbing the entire off season, but she still isn't as polished or aggressive as she should be. They really don't have any depth for her unless you count Kristina Nelson, who has cost points for ND so far this year. Besides that, you have Mabrey 2.0 who is good, Allen who has been good, and Ogunbowale who can be terrific, but she is best suited as a spark plug rather than a go to scorer.

I've been all about Notre Dame the last several years and really thought this was their best chance for a title, but I've been underwhelmed in games I've seen this year. They still could win the ACC and go on to make another Final Four, but I have a lot less confidence in this year's squad compared to the previous 5 versions.

NOTRE DAME is a deep talented team. If Geno was their coach, they'd be number one AND undefeated. They have so many horses, the barn can't hold them all. That said, Muffet has to take charge, stop baking cookies and kick their talented butts. Allen should be the primary quarterback, the true point guard, dishing to Agunbawale, Maybry, and the emerging freshmen. The loss to NCstate could be their wakeup call or they could choose to wait, but they need to get Arike off the dribble and let Allen find the open shooters of which they have too many to count. I would be happy to have Muffet remain clueless, and lose early in the tournament so as not to see them again because, on paper, they are a sleeping giant.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
No doubt Maryland played great, but I would offer that the fourth quarter was more a product of UConn running out of the allowable number of fouls, rather than Maryland "running out of time". At the very least, many of those 4thQ Maryland layups would have been contested had Williams and Collier not been in serious foul trouble.... and the final winning margin might have been quite different.

I posted a comment earlier in the week eluding to this very dynamic. This was not UConn's first rodeo this season. They've already played very good top ranked teams, and have faced adversity in the first 11 games. That experience allowed them the comfort of not panicking, keeping their poise, and playing their way through a very tight and highly contested game. Because of this, Maryland was not able to break their will or resolve.

You're not afraid of entering a pitch black room if you were in there a moment ago when the lights were on. As a species, we don't like the dark (the unknown), we don't like to be in situations that we are not in control of. We always fear the worst when we hear bad news, or when a friend/loved one is missing.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I am really surprised that it took this long for UCONN fans, who are very informed and intelligent basketball fans, to see that ND was overrated. I think that having faced them and having lost to them quite a few times that the performance of the past teams was somehow transferred to the opinion of this year's team.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Hey, remember, ND (according to MM) has the best point guard and the best post player in the nation! And didn't they have one of the best recruiting classes this year?

That's why I love the yard. Some of you guys don't miss (or forget) anything. Nothing gets by you. I remember MM saying that too. Perhaps she was off her medication when she made that statement. :eek:
When one steps out on a limb, one must be very careful not to go beyond a certain point, otherwise a horrific fate may befall you. :confused:

Carnac

Reaction Score
I am really surprised that it took this long for UCONN fans, who are very informed and intelligent basketball fans, to see that ND was overrated. I think that having faced them and having lost to them quite a few times that the performance of the past teams was somehow transferred to the opinion of this year's team.

Hi ET, Happy holidays to you and yours.

Don't be surprised. Some of us are like the late "Will Rogers". Remember what he said: "All I know is what I read in the newspapers". Our version of that is: All we know is what we read here in the BONEYARD. :) Thank goodness we have a multitude of people all across the country contributing articles, stories, videos, opinions and other assorted comments to the yard.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The ND board today was hypercritical of the team. If I closed my eyes, I would swear I was on VolNation. Just sayin...

Carnac

Reaction Score
The ND board today was hypercritical of the team. If I closed my eyes, I would swear I was on VolNation. Just sayin...

Notre Dame Nation can tolerate a lot of things, BUT..............one thing they cannot/will not tolerate is a loss, especially to an unranked team of (supposedly) lesser talent. :mad:

Reaction Score
Hey, remember, ND (according to MM) has the best point guard and the best post player in the nation! And didn't they have one of the best recruiting classes this year?
It is not nice to fib during Lent about other teams.
Don't know if you can get a dispensation after Xmas

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Wow!!!!! A UConn win, and a Notre Dame loss (to an unranked team). It doesn't get any better than THAT!!!!! :D

Bad, bad Carnac ... bad! HeHe. I have been wondering over the course of the last 3 recruiting cycles what Muffet was doing. ND has gotten less athletic/slower. Strange recruiting decisions IMO, but maybe she just could not get who/what she really wanted. It is only one game, but a problem with a loss like this is what it does to your opponents, not to mention the creeping doubt in your players.

Reaction Score
I thought they were too highly ranked. Where was the improvement from last year? They lost whatever leadership they had so where would it come from this year? Young talent and experience that doesn't step up at crunch time. I can't see their AA playing knocking down crucial shots between running to the sideline to fill the barf bucket. That's leadership! How much longer do we have to hear about 8 McDonalds All Americans. If the talent is so superior why doesn't it transfer to game time.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think ND has earned that 'respect' over the last 7 or so years. MM has succeeded in replacing some seriously good players each year without losing their grove - including last year after Jewell jumped to the WNBA. Compared to the earlier losses, the losses coming into this season didn't seem that significant and the recruits and players returning from injury seemed more than adequate to keep the team rolling. I think there are a number of people that are surprised that they are struggling as much as they are. As there are a number of people who expected Baylor to beat Uconn, and Uconn to end December with 2 or 3 losses.

Most of us probably haven't watched many minutes of ND (or Baylor, or MD) except for the 40 minutes against Uconn and that can be a distorting window on a team. Uconn plays a different kind of defense from pretty much anyone else and it can make teams and individual players look a lot worse than they actual are. We check box scores and maybe read a few articles about specific games, but that only tells you so much with the spotty OOC that teams play. Conference games will give us all a better handle on teams because they should in general be more competitive.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

More than one person on the board had already observed that ND was underachieving this year (i.e., not playing like the #2 team in the country). More than one person had opined that Baylor should be ranked ahead of ND. But I don't think anyone, yourself included, predicted a NC State victory.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Bad, bad Carnac ... bad! HeHe. I have been wondering over the course of the last 3 recruiting cycles what Muffet was doing. ND has gotten less athletic/slower. Strange recruiting decisions IMO, but maybe she just could not get who/what she really wanted. It is only one game, but a problem with a loss like this is what it does to your opponents, not to mention the creeping doubt in your players.

Rocky, you know the Irish have no love for us. They would revel like it was 11:59 pm (and the ball was descending) on new year's eve, if we were to lose a game. So pardon me if I do a jig for a moment, and raise a toast to North Carolina State for a job well done. :) I don't like to hold on to grudges BUT.............................I have not forgotten Muffet's tirades 2 year's ago during the NCAA finals, when she deliberately went off on Geno during several press conferences, saying that "the civility has been lost at the top of WCBB, and that she really lost respect for, and has no use for Geno". I think we can all remember his answer to her comments.

She put the spotlight on herself (which may have been her intent), and it back fired on her. I remember Doris Burke making it a point to reference her remarks during the TV broadcast, totally disagreeing with her, saying that Geno (and staff) has been cordial and gracious every time she has encountered him. Sorry, it may take me a few more years to get THAT memory out of my consciousness. Right now, I'm a happy man, hoping for more ND losses..................soon! :cool:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Rocky, you know the Irish have no love for us. They would revel like it was 11:59 pm (and the ball was descending) on new year's eve, if we were to lose a game. So pardon me if I do a jig for a moment, and raise a toast to North Carolina State for a job well done. :) I don't like to hold on to grudges BUT.........I have not forgotten Muffet's tirades 2 year's ago during the NCAA finals, when she deliberately went off on Geno during several press conferences, saying that "the civility has been lost at the top of WCBB, and that she really lost respect for, and has no use for Geno". I think we can all remember his answer to her comments.

She put the spotlight on herself (which may have been her intent), and it back fired on her. I remember Doris Burke making it a point to reference her remarks during the TV broadcast, totally disagreeing with her, saying that Geno (and staff) has been cordial and gracious every time she has encountered him. Sorry, it may take me a few more years to get THAT memory out of my consciousness. Right now, I'm a happy man, hoping for more ND losses...soon! :cool:

I'm sorry, but our time is up for today. ;) Made me laugh. I share your Schadenfreude and relish anything that brings pain to the Mother Sourpuss for the reasons you mentioned. Doris's partner in the booth was perhaps even more pointed in calling Muffet out. Still, this loss could be the Arse Kicking ND needs to get with it and be a threat come NCAAs time.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
We are supposed to be magnanimous when winning however when it comes to MM and her sense of entitlement for her and her program, watching them stumble does force me to crack a smile. I do think both her AA's are overrated. Turner just seems to come up small in big spots. Mabry had a big game last night though while the rest of the team seemed to be out of sync. Remember that is a team with 8 HS AAs on it. I think MW chose wisely!

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
NOTRE DAME is a deep talented team. If Geno was their coach, they'd be number one AND undefeated. They have so many horses, the barn can't hold them all. That said, Muffet has to take charge, stop baking cookies and kick their talented butts. Allen should be the primary quarterback, the true point guard, dishing to Agunbawale, Maybry, and the emerging freshmen. The loss to NCstate could be their wakeup call or they could choose to wait, but they need to get Arike off the dribble and let Allen find the open shooters of which they have too many to count. I would be happy to have Muffet remain clueless, and lose early in the tournament so as not to see them again because, on paper, they are a sleeping giant.

I don't think it's likely Gene has them as the #1 team at this point in the year if he coaches them starting at the beginning of year. Notre Dame's struggles are due to incoming freshmen taking time to adjust to the college game, and Turner not being an improved player from a year ago. Having Geno wouldn't change that.

And Muffett is far from clueless. She has established herself as the clear #2 coach in the country behind Geno with her ability to develop players and put together teams that play great basketball. Rocky start, but don't count her out. I still think Notre Dame makes their 6th Final Four in seven seasons, but I also think UCONN wins their 5th straight title.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
When teams of equal talent hit the field or court, with coaches of virtually equal measure, for me, it almost always comes down to character. Who wants it more, and what are they willing to do to win.

I respect you and your team more than any other in CBB, men or women's. The numbers you've quoted clearly show exemplary assist to FG numbers.
Having coach HS kids for 20+ years I politely disagree that it comes down to character. There have been plenty of "poor" character teams that have won championships. Considering Geno recruited virtually all of those kids on ND, I think their character is pretty strong. I just think ND coaching staff has more work to do for them to utilize their skills as a team. They are similar to adjusting your coaching to your players like Geno is doing this year.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Me, as a UConn fan did think ND was overrated and am usually dumbfounded at both the writers and other coaches who continually vote them higher even when the results don't warrant it. Just a bit of research by them would show ND to be #7-9 rank.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Having coach HS kids for 20+ years I politely disagree that it comes down to character. There have been plenty of "poor" character teams that have won championships. Considering Geno recruited virtually all of those kids on ND, I think their character is pretty strong. I just think ND coaching staff has more work to do for them to utilize their skills as a team. They are similar to adjusting your coaching to your players like Geno is doing this year.
Well considering my conceit: teams of equal talent with coaches of virtually equal measure, basically all things being equal, then from what I've experienced I may be wrong. I don't think so. I've also seen many teams with a lack of character win championships. But those teams won because of more talent, bad coaching decisions, poor refereeing, bad bounces, injuries etc. But that is not all things being equal. That is something else tipping the scales. Please if you will, name a championship team that won under my auspices that had the lesser character? No one says this ND team is lacking in character, and I certainly didn't say they lost because of it. Certainly though the Baylor game is a prime example of my premise, as was the Maryland game. So, I too must politely, and respectfully, considering your coaching experience dwarfs mine, disagree.

JordyG

Reaction Score
As an addendum, I've also seen many teams with lesser all around talent and the lesser character win because they've had the transcendent player such as the Jordan team's vs the Celtic team's. But again, that's hardly all things being equal. I think I'm coming over as a jerk. In the long view your experience totally trumps mine, so I'll agree to your opinion over mine. And have a good New Year.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Me, as a UConn fan did think ND was overrated and am usually dumbfounded at both the writers and other coaches who continually vote them higher even when the results don't warrant it. Just a bit of research by them would show ND to be #7-9 rank.

I join in your amazement and bewilderment. The same rating system or criteria they used to rank UConn #6, they should have used for ND. Clearly, they WERE NOT the #1 team in the country they were thought to be in the preseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom