Notre Dame (1) @ Tennessee - 1/24/19 | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Notre Dame (1) @ Tennessee - 1/24/19

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I realize this is a quote from the article, not your words. How many years does it take? How many should she be given? This is her seventh season. The shadow of Pat's legacy is always going to loom large, but she's now had several recruiting classes go thru. It is her program now.

Agree with you.... 25 plus years as assistant coach.... sitting next to the best... then training wheels as head coach while she filled in for Pat now in 7th year as official head coach... gets good players ... HS All Americans... and has developed none to be college All Americans.... she deserves the criticism she gets...

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Minor point. Notice how Notre Dame shot and scored with less than ten seconds left? Can anyone remember UConn ending a game with this large a lead and not dribbling out the clock?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Orangutan, we're being facetious here. I can't speak for everyone, but I fully expect ND to rip TN a new one, and win by at least 15-20 points (or more). Tennessee is in a tailspin right now, and ND is NOT the team to try and pull out of it against. The timing of THIS game could not be worse for TN. ND will enter this game like a shark smelling blood, and will react accordingly. I think it's going to get ugly real fast. Of course I'll be watching.

I know you understand the posture of the BY (and UConn Nation) with respect to these two programs. Neither of them should expect an invite to any UConn tea parties or social functions. :cool:

Post script - A 77-62 fifteen point win for the Irish. That was an easy call. Everyone here in the yard saw that run-a-way freight train coming.

"The Irish, after trailing by three points at the half, spurted past the reeling Lady Vols behind the hot shooting of senior guard Arike Ogunbowale for a 77-62 victory in a once festive Thompson-Boling Arena that was anything but festive by game's end. :(

Tennessee (12-7) lost for the sixth straight time, which hasn't happened since the Lady Vols started 0-6 in 1970, which was before the Summitt era. It was also Tennessee's fourth straight loss at home, and the Lady Vols are now suddenly in danger of not even making the NCAA tournament after 37 straight appearances.

Just like it has done ever since its 89-71 loss to UConn on Dec. 2, Notre Dame (19-1) was too explosive for Tennessee to keep up. Ogunbowale, after shooting just 2-of-8 from the field in the first half, poured in 16 points in the third quarter to trigger a 19-2 second-half run for the Irish, who have won all 12 games during their winning streak by at least 14 points.

Ogunbowale, the hero of last season's national championship game, finished with 28 points. Junior guard Jackie Young posted the seventh triple-double in Notre Dame history with 16 points, 12 rebounds and 10 assists."

Reaction Score
Has anyone else noticed the Notre Dame women's basketball schedule at their home page? The schedule goes through the conference tournament and through the NCAA tournament to the Final Four. The Tennessee schedule does also. I guess they plan to meet again in the national championship. The UCONN site, as usual, only goes to the end of the regular season. I guess we're doomed.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Minor point. Notice how Notre Dame shot and scored with less than ten seconds left? Can anyone remember UConn ending a game with this large a lead and not dribbling out the clock?

For one thing, if you check the replay, Young scores that last basket with 10.3 on the clock. :cool:

More seriously, ND got the rebound with 21 seconds left and Tennessee trapped the ballhandler. If they had backed off, ND probably would have run out the clock.

Tenn was still playing D, so ND kept playing offense. I guess ND didn't have to shoot off the baseline out-of-bounds, but those BLOB plays pretty much always lead to an immediate shot.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Has anyone else noticed the Notre Dame women's basketball schedule at their home page? The schedule goes through the conference tournament and through the NCAA tournament to the Final Four. The Tennessee schedule does also. I guess they plan to meet again in the national championship. The UCONN site, as usual, only goes to the end of the regular season. I guess we're doomed.

Mississippi State also goes to the Final Four. I guess the National Championship will have to be a Triple Threat match. Wait, NC State's also goes to the National Championship game. I guess it's a Fatal Four Way.

I'll have to consult Vince McMahon and Triple H on the rules. If I look at enough team's schedules, we can probably upgrade this to a Six Pack Challenge. :D

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
The LSU game will be very interesting, but they should stomp Florida and Vandy

Yeah, they should...but maybe they won't.
It's been a regular feature of UTenn teams under Holly,
that they make a brave (usually losing) effort against high rated teams, then go back to a disorganized sleepwalker state against lesser competition.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Tennessee's Warlick stands her ground, stands by Lady Vols

Notre Dame coach Muffet McGraw sounded like a believer, especially if the Lady Vols can get Jackson back in the lineup soon.

"They are a dangerous team, and they are young," McGraw said. "They are growing and learning and not quitting, and there's a lot to build on."

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Mississippi State also goes to the Final Four. I guess the National Championship will have to be a Triple Threat match. Wait, NC State's also goes to the National Championship game. I guess it's a Fatal Four Way.

I'll have to consult Vince McMahon and Triple H on the rules. If I look at enough team's schedules, we can probably upgrade this to a Six Pack Challenge. :D

Duke does the same thing......wait.. well... we used to. Just checked and it now only goes to the ACC tournament. I guess they updated it :oops:

wait.... thats just the web version.... the pdf version has the national championship listed.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Zaay Green was the best player on the court in the first half. She's looked really good this year attacking the basket and hitting midrange jumpers. Definitely one of the better freshmen in the country. Rennia Davis has been bad as of late but she was outstanding as a freshman. Find a coach that clicks with her better and she'll be a star. If Holly continues to coach and Rennia stays, she'll follow in the same footsteps as Bashaara Graves and several others who regressed during their time at Tennessee.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Posted just for grins (or something)...

8CF91309-2B8B-4245-866D-F5F9A3A6EF09.jpeg

Reaction Score
I'm perfectly happy if the Delusionals fire Holly, hire Nikki Fargas, and sink even farther.

She isn't a bad coach but she has been a trash recruiter at LSU and has had a lot of issues with suspensions, transfers, and turnover in assistant coaches. Most people in BR want her gone. Every time it looked like we were turning the corner, a player is kicked off the team or is transferring.

Reaction Score
I've watched TN for the last several years and I see much of what I saw at the end of the Summit era: a team with very talented players who have athleticism but lack consistent shooters with seemingly no half court offensive discipline or scheme. Defense and rebounding were always TN trademarks yet the recent years have shown defensive lapses when it comes to 3 point shots and fast breaks. Pat's teams slipped a little her last few years and we all know why. I believe that's the only reason Holly has been allowed to stick this long, the program was in a small decline before she even had job on a permanent basis.

I went back an forth for a couple of years of the Warlick era because UT played games where they actually looked pretty good and even some of the head scratching loses were close contests where a smaller number of turnovers or a couple of additional made baskets would have turned a L into a W.

The writing is now on the wall however that this is simply the LVs as long as Warlick is their coach. Personally I believe she should be reassigned in the athletic department and a new coach be hired to turn the program back around. It will take anyone a couple of years to right the ship no matter who gets hired. Warlick seems like a good person who loves UT. it's up the UT administration to decide if they let her remain as head coach, terminate her or let her have another role if she chooses. I am now totally convinced though UT will continue to decline slowly and steadily as long as the status quo remains.

Reaction Score
My observations of the game. TN played disciplined ball in the first half and through most of the third quarter. Panic set in in the fourth quarter when ND started to pull away.

If TN had anyone who could consistently shoot the ball they would be a much more dangerous team.

Reaction Score
Things are seriously not as what they used to be on VolNation. I remember where high profile game threads warranted 40+ pages of in game chats. Sad to see only 10 pages for this high profile game. :(

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Tennessee plays LSU Sunday at home, would be sad if we ruin their losing streak
You have to be rooting for LSU as it might hasten your way out of Purgatory! If Nikki wins with strong x’s And o’s maybe Fulmer hires her!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Tennessee's Warlick stands her ground, stands by Lady Vols

Notre Dame coach Muffet McGraw sounded like a believer, especially if the Lady Vols can get Jackson back in the lineup soon.

"They are a dangerous team, and they are young," McGraw said. "They are growing and learning and not quitting, and there's a lot to build on."
For ONCE I FULLY ENDORSE A MUFFET QUOTE! Hopefully Fulmer hears this and gives Holly another extension....please, please, please as my birthday is coming up:cool:

Reaction Score
Critics: Back Up Off Coach Holly Warlick, Now.

"While many are questioning the direction of Warlick's reign as head coach, the public needs to ask itself if it has truly ever permitted her tenure to grow legs of its own. With the cloud of Coach Summitt forever hanging over the Lady Vols arena, the language and social media rage of orange-blooded fans of UT and critics reveals that they are still not prepared or willing to explore the new era without looking back and referring to "what used to be"."

Critics: Back Up Off Coach Holly Warlick, Now.

What I did not like about this article is the inference that people should let up on criticizing Warlick because she's a female coach. I call bullspit- I can remember the same level of criticism when Bill Guthridge(sp?) replaced Dean Smith @UNC and performed as badly as Tar Heels head coach as Warlick is performing as Lady Volunteers' head coach. He too was a basketball coaching legend's top assistant & hand picked successor and he too failed to maintain a winning tradition. In his case he was replaced but Warlick should get to stay on? And not be criticized for her failure to continue Tennessee's winning tradition? Just because she's female ? So much for equality....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom