not looking good for xrm.. :-) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

not looking good for xrm.. :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Kid is a class act. We all knew the chances of landing him were slim once he cancelled his visit. Let's not under estimate the push of his parents. He spent the majority of the early part of his announcement thanking his mom and dad. I wish him well. I don't know what Leonard can do for him but at least he's going to get to compete in the ACC and either stand up or stand off.

Reaction Score
I'll wish XRM luck and keep an eye on his career but my guess is he will be a pretty good player who doesn't make it to the league. fSU doesn't exactly pimp out ready made NBA players, good luck to the kid but I've seen this story play out before.

Reaction Score
I'll wish XRM luck and keep an eye on his career but my guess is he will be a pretty good player who doesn't make it to the league. fSU doesn't exactly pimp out ready made NBA players, good luck to the kid but I've seen this story play out before.
Until Ollie sends someone successful into the pros, his track record isn't as good as Hamilton's. It's coaches, not schools, that matter on this front. Dean Smith put a bunch of great players into the NBA; Matt Doherty didn't. John Thompson put a bunch of great players into the league; Craig Escherick didn't. You know, that's just how it goes.

With a new coach, with no experience, we start further down than we did before. It's not as if we start at the bottom--UConn's tradition, facilities (soon), NBA connections, etc. do matter some.

We also are in a time where 18 year olds (born in 1994), only remember a time where we are the best program. Since they were 5 (when I first really remember things), UConn has 3 titles; UNC, Florida, and Duke 2; Kansas, Syracuse, MSU, Maryland, UK 1. We look good in their eyes; but I'm sure some are wary. And we can't really tout NCAA success as strongly until we prove we produce more.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
What I hate most about the 7-month contract is that it gives everyone something to bitch about 24-7. Be prepared: according to a number of people, every time we don't sign a guy it's gonna be because Manuel gave Ollie a 7-month contract.

Reaction Score
It is well documented how other major programs used "negative" recruiting against UCONN in regards to Calhoun's age/health over the past few years. In my opinion, the 7 month contract does little to change that on a national scene and until this "cloud" is lifted, until recruits have clarity it will affect the program and its ability to land top recruits.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Kevin Ollie could have had a 200-year contract and this kid was never, ever, ever going to come to UConn.

This was a time sink from the jump.

Reaction Score
This is a classic case of someone somewhere on this board thinking we were landing a kid when there was little chance. My failing memory is littered with kids that I read about for months- I know what they eat for breakfast- who their friends are and what they are tweeting then they go away. These are not failures- they are pipe dreams.

It's fun to talk about players but as Bazz and DD proved- most of the time we have no idea whatsoever what the staff is doing or who their realistic targets are- offers are one thing - real interest them is another entirely.

Reaction Score
so where were you guys to tell us UConn had no chance during the initial stages of his recruitment? when he talked glowingly about Ollie and said it would be really special if he was named head coach? Easy for ya'll to say UConn had no chance after he cancelled the visit and committs to FSU, but I guess it wasn't to easy to do the same when he gave positive quotes about Ollie, or initially cut his list down to 3 with UConn still included. I don't remember seeing the "UConn never had a chance" sentiment posted then...

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
so where were you guys to tell us UConn had no chance during the initial stages of his recruitment? when he talked glowingly about Ollie and said it would be really special if he was named head coach? Easy for ya'll to say UConn had no chance after he cancelled the visit and committs to FSU, but I guess it wasn't to easy to do the same when he gave positive quotes about Ollie, or initially cut his list down to 3 with UConn still included. I don't remember seeing the "UConn never had a chance" sentiment posted then...

"Special" if he was named head coach, not interim head coach. There's a difference.

Reaction Score
Maybe XRM will turn into KO's Perry Carter....we did fine after he ended up at Ohio State

Curiouser
Reaction Score
What I hate most about the 7-month contract is that it gives everyone something to bitch about 24-7. Be prepared: according to a number of people, every time we don't sign a guy it's gonna be because Manuel gave Ollie a 7-month contract.
What I hate most about the 7-month contract is that it gives potential recruits a built-in concern about whether the guy who is recruiting them will be their coach if they choose to come here.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
You can't prove a negative, I get that, but don't even bother trying to convince me that the length of Ollie's contract was a but for cause of XRM choosing FSU over us. It wasn't.

So far, the only undisputed fact is that Facey and Samuel are sticking with UConn despite their coach having the worst contract in the history of college athletics.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
You can't prove a negative, I get that, but don't even bother trying to convince me that the length of Ollie's contract was a but for cause of XRM choosing FSU over us. It wasn't.

So far, the only undisputed fact is that Facey and Samuel are sticking with UConn despite their coach having the worst contract in the history of college athletics.
Not suggesting proving a negative or trying to convince you of anything. I understand that you don't have a problem with the contract and don't think anyone else should care that we have an interim head coach. I never said it figured in XRM's decision--although I am humored by how certain so many of you are now that fishy has boldly predicted certain death after the internment.

I was just responding to your comment that you are most bothered by the fact that the contract bothers others here. I think it's interesting that that bothers you more than the fact that current UConn players, former UConn players, college coaches, NBA coaches and pretty much every person who actually has experience in the game/business all think it sucks and is a significant impediment.

But, hey, some guys on an internet message board who would have preferred Shaka Smart or Brad Stevens don't think it's an issue, so I'm sure it's probably not.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
No, by that I meant that I realize it's unfair for me to say "prove that XRM didn't care about the contract length" because odds are we'll never get that kind of candor from a recruit.

"I understand that you don't have a problem with the contract and don't think anyone else should care that we have an interim head coach." Two mischaracterizations in one sentence. First, I don't like the contract. I've said that about a million times. Second, as I've also said a million times, any recruit (or family) who is worried about Ollie's contract will be worried about Ollie's coaching. I don't think we'll lose a single recruit in the time Manuel takes to make a decision to extend.

I think it's a lot of sound & fury for one recruiting cycle. The fact that everyone thinks a bunch of people think it's unfair doesn't mean more than it will have a negative impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom