Northeastern to fully open in fall | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Northeastern to fully open in fall

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
This is an interesting take on the future of higher education.

Reaction Score
You guys are funny. Why spend a year taking on-line classes if that's not what you want to do? You can do other things besides traveling for your gap year.
Exactly, the reason a kid would take a gap year isn't in order to find himself by backpacking through Europe, it would be to avoid paying $50k for the University of Pheonix experience.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
It's incredibly strange we haven't been planning everyrhing this entire time around the peopls the virus is killing.
View attachment 54327

sigh - correlation / causation

the people being killed have a double whammy of susceptible age/condition AND being in a high-touch, confined space. We can fix the latter for everyone, so why wouldn't we?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Good. The majority of liberal arts colleges should go broke because they make stupid amounts of money off of majors like “Eastern English Art in 1800” and “Don’t Hurt My Feelings 101.”
Those aren't actual majors.

Reaction Score
The amount of college debt in this country is criminal, along with the absolutely useless majors schools offer in which you're only qualified to work at Enterprise Rent-a-car.
Come on now, every year the NCAA runs a ton of ads about how great it is that so many student athletes work at Enterprise. Isn’t that a dream job of some sort?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Going to be ironic when 55 year old philosophy professors from the 80's and 90's is delivering food to your door as they schlep for Uber eats because they are out of a job. Bunch of ivory tower tweed jacket with elbow patch people are going to be looking for work.

Reaction Score
JC coached NU before UConn. Had an All-American / NBA in Reggie Louis. NU is in Colonial now. It's a large school, so why has hoops never re-ignited there? Looks like they'll be playing this season - if rest of conference follows?

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Until you can meet girls, go to parties, and generally run wild, online learning will never replace a conventional campus.
I'm kind of agnostic toward the article. I just hadn't considered some of his observations and projections. I do think that higher education in the US is over priced and due for a correction. I also believe that something very strange(like full time online classes) can become the norm over time if there is no alternative. I think it is wise of these schools to get the kids back on campus asap if for nothing else than their own viability.

Reaction Score
Going to be ironic when 55 year old philosophy professors...Bunch of ivory tower tweed jacket with elbow patch people are going to be looking for work.

Literally my professor. Tried to fail me because I missed the 2 days of class before finals due to an out of town job interview, which I had told him about on the first day of the semester. Had to formally take it all the way up the board.

But yay! Gen Ed. Requirements costing 4k a course!

(Irony: self explored philosophy is truly a key to life)

Reaction Score
Literally my professor. Tried to fail me because I missed the 2 days of class before finals due to an out of town job interview, which I had told him about on the first day of the semester. Had to formally take it all the way up the board.

But yay! Gen Ed. Requirements costing 4k a course!

(Irony: self explored philosophy is truly a key to life)

I had a jackass like that too. I was on an out-of-town interview, and the clown actually by chance called on me on class. Po'ed I wasn't there.

Reaction Score
It's incredibly strange we haven't been planning everyrhing this entire time around the peopls the virus is killing.
View attachment 54327

80,000 died of seasonal flu in the 2017-18 season and we didn't shut down the economy. Yet, knowing this virus is deadly but mainly among the elderly with underlying health conditions, the politicians are doing CYA at extraordinary levels for this virus. They say they're taking bold action to protect the people yet the data shows those actions are seriously flawed and ruining the lives of those most vulnerable.

The Chairman of the Federal Reserve said last week, 40% of the job losses to date are people in households earning less than $40,000 per year. While those who've lost their jobs can't pay their rent or their car loans or afford child care for their kids who've been forced home by the shutdown of the schools, the politicians can say what a great job they're doing keeping people safe.........no matter how unlikely the working age and school age people are to have a serious outcome from the virus.

As long as the political leaders and government employees are ALL getting fully paid while 20-30% of the rest of the people are out of work, they don't have to face the realities that are devastating to so many and have no clue about the level of stress and distress so many are facing.

Reaction Score
Scary for higher education if he’s right.
I don't think he is very wrong. I think a lot of small non-elite privates and some directional public institutions will be shuttered in the next decade or so.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
80,000 died of seasonal flu in the 2017-18 season and we didn't shut down the economy. Yet, knowing this virus is deadly but mainly among the elderly with underlying health conditions, the politicians are doing CYA at extraordinary levels for this virus. They say they're taking bold action to protect the people yet the data shows those actions are seriously flawed and ruining the lives of those most vulnerable.
I know it’s a tough situation either way, flu is not apples to apples though. What would the flu rates have been in 2017-2018 if we were on lockdown? Flu numbers are technically for a 12 month period. If “only” 500 people die per day through the end of the year, we’d be looking at 2.5 the deaths in 3/4 of the time period. And that’s with the restrictions.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

And before you say it, no these aren't long term high paying jobs but think about the savings/benefits of working compared to online school. Even if you assume they work 9 months and 30 hours a week at a minimum wage job before things are "back to normal" and they're not needed that's about $10K earned. Is it crazy to think that's a better option than paying $40K for online classes for a year (or even semester)?

As usually the answer is, it depends.

Giving up a year of earning power by skipping a year of school has serious long term financial repercussions (I.e retirement).

But if they use that 10k toward future tuition, or put half in a Roth and the rest towards tuition, or say half in a Roth and half to pay for some community college classes so they don’t fall too far behind, you could probably make it work. I’m just less optimistic about what it will he like out there for these kids when you have adults who also need the work right now when many of their employers don’t make it after this (such as restaurants).

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Scary for higher education if he’s right.

An industry which is set up to meet the needs of its customers need not be scared. Those universities which are scared know they haven't been aligned with their supposed mission.

Reaction Score
I don't think he is very wrong. I think a lot of small non-elite privates and some directional public institutions will be shuttered in the next decade or so.
That's already been happening. Many small non-elite private colleges have gone out of business the last few years and many are teetering on the edge. I'm sure this pandemic hasn't helped those that were already teetering.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
As usually the answer is, it depends.

Giving up a year of earning power by skipping a year of school has serious long term financial repercussions (I.e retirement).

But if they use that 10k toward future tuition, or put half in a Roth and the rest towards tuition, or say half in a Roth and half to pay for some community college classes so they don’t fall too far behind, you could probably make it work. I’m just less optimistic about what it will he like out there for these kids when you have adults who also need the work right now when many of their employers don’t make it after this (such as restaurants).

Son just graduated HS and got hired on a few weeks ago delivering pizza. He has yet to make less than $20/hr combined between base pay, tips and reimbursement for mileage.
Not a bad gig for a summer job.

Companies are definitely hiring.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Son just graduated HS and got hired on a few weeks ago delivering pizza. He has yet to make less than $20/hr combined between base pay, tips and reimbursement for mileage.
Not a bad gig for a summer job.

Companies are definitely hiring.

Is it worth giving up a year of income making and retirement contributions. That’s a real question. No one is going to care even 5 years form now if the first year virtual or not. You made it. You got the degree. You’re an alum of X school.

Reaction Score
Is it worth giving up a year of income making and retirement contributions. That’s a real question. No one is going to care even 5 years form now if the first year virtual or not. You made it. You got the degree. You’re an alum of X school.
Not everything in life has to be analyzed through small differences in dollars and cents. Does everyone always take the highest salaried job offer? There are always other factors in play. You're marginalizing a student's feelings on what he or she wants to do. My son chose a small liberal arts school because that is where he felt most comfortable. He shouldn't be forced to take on-line classes if he doesn't want to.

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom