Northeastern to fully open in fall | The Boneyard

Northeastern to fully open in fall

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I think much of this talk is being driven by financial reasons. Some schools just can't give up the money without some dire financial consequences. If they go to on-line classes they will lose all the room and board revenue (mostly room since board can be a variable cost) and may lose a lot of students who will take the semester off and some freshmen will take a gap year.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I think much of this talk is being driven by financial reasons. Some schools just can't give up the money without some dire financial consequences. If they go to on-line classes they will lose all the room and board revenue (mostly room since board can be a variable cost) and may lose a lot of students who will take the semester off and some freshmen will take a gap year.

A gap year doing why exactly?

That’s the thing. You aren’t doing any of the ridiculous things to “find yourself” during a medical pandemic like this.

So why not start your education?

Reaction Score

For the 14% of private schools, these are no doubt huge concerns. For the 86% of the market that is made of public schools, they are trying to figure out what to do with huge cutbacks (30% cuts) and the prospect of not having their big moneymakers (foreign students) return. That's in addition to students who pay their way through college by holding jobs with a lot of hours. If these students can't work, they can't afford apartments and food.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We have a friend whose son is finishing his junior year. They did a video session with a college counselor who basically said his class is screwed. Tons of this year's seniors are accepted to their schools of choice, but they'll defer (because it isn't worth the money, or not the experience they wanted, to attend remotely) or they'll reapply next year so there will be more kids applying for less spots.

My kids aren't college age yet, but this seemed to make sense to me. You keep hearing about how bad this is for the seniors not getting their senior year of activities, but maybe the junior class is just as impacted.

the Q

Reaction Score
We have a friend whose son is finishing his junior year. They did a video session with a college counselor who basically said his class is screwed. Tons of this year's seniors are accepted to their schools of choice, but they'll defer (because it isn't worth the money, or not the experience they wanted, to attend remotely) or they'll reapply next year so there will be more kids applying for less spots.

My kids aren't college age yet, but this seemed to make sense to me. You keep hearing about how bad this is for the seniors not getting their senior year of activities, but maybe the junior class is just as impacted.

That would mean those kids on the waitlists should suck it up and get into a better school this year. No?

Because they’d get buried next year.

Reaction Score
That would mean those kids on the waitlists should suck it up and get into a better school this year. No?

Because they’d get buried next year.
Yep. Interesting thing is most juniors haven’t taken their SAT yet so gonna be weird how all of this sorts out.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Yeah I’m gonna take a year to travel Europe! Oh wait...

Reaction Score

This is good to know. I have a son who is also finishing his junior year of high school.
He wants to play football at the D3 level.
I hope this doesn't make it more difficult for him.

Reaction Score
they could be following the data too. The graph below is from the MA Dept of Public Health. Updated as of May 12th. MA has has 0 COVID deaths under age 20 and a total of 5 under age 30. The mortality rate per 100k is 0% according to the MA DPH. Appears that several months into this, folks under age 30 are in good shape. Of course they are importing kids from other states so don’t know what the analysis is on that.
DBE0AF8D-045D-4191-A14C-E618FB73E975.png

Reaction Score
they could be following the data too. The graph below is from the MA Dept of Public Health. Updated as of May 12th. MA has has 0 COVID deaths under age 20 and a total of 5 under age 30. The mortality rate per 100k is 0% according to the MA DPH. Appears that several months into this, folks under age 30 are in good shape. Of course they are importing kids from other states so don’t know what the analysis is on that.
View attachment 54324
It's like that everywhere. Nursing homes are now getting an even higher percentage of overall deaths.

the Q

Reaction Score
You guys are funny. Why spend a year taking on-line classes if that's not what you want to do? You can do other things besides traveling for your gap year.

My only point is if things stay like this, what are you doing?

Honestly.

Not working. Not gaining experience. You’re stuck at home social distancing.

If you weren’t, wouldn’t you be on campus?

Reaction Score
My only point is if things stay like this, what are you doing?

Honestly.

Not working. Not gaining experience. You’re stuck at home social distancing.

If you weren’t, wouldn’t you be on campus?
Working. There are jobs out there right now, aren't there?

None of us control whether a student can be on campus.

And I'm taking donations if you want to kick in some money for my son to do something he really doesn't want to do. If it's free then maybe I'll make him do it. Lol

Reaction Score
A gap year doing why exactly?

That’s the thing. You aren’t doing any of the ridiculous things to “find yourself” during a medical pandemic like this.

So why not start your education?
The problem is most parents don’t want to spend 60,000 on courses taught online. If campus is not open most kids will not go and the schools will go completely broke.

Reaction Score
What company is gonn hire an 18 year old and to do what work remotely, exactly? Serious question
I agree. But who said anything about working remotely? Some kids' parents have good connections.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What company is gonn hire an 18 year old and to do what work remotely, exactly? Serious question

And before you say it, no these aren't long term high paying jobs but think about the savings/benefits of working compared to online school. Even if you assume they work 9 months and 30 hours a week at a minimum wage job before things are "back to normal" and they're not needed that's about $10K earned. Is it crazy to think that's a better option than paying $40K for online classes for a year (or even semester)?

Reaction Score
Since I'm out of work, I'm thinking of going back to school for a Master's. Oh wait.....Damn, I can't even do that when I finally have the time now.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
The problem is most parents don’t want to spend 60,000 on courses taught online. If campus is not open most kids will not go and the schools will go completely broke.
Good. The majority of liberal arts colleges should go broke because they make stupid amounts of money off of majors like “Eastern English Art in 1800” and “Don’t Hurt My Feelings 101.”

Reaction Score
The amount of college debt in this country is criminal, along with the absolutely useless majors schools offer in which you're only qualified to work at Enterprise Rent-a-car.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom