Northeastern Postgame Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Northeastern Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
I am very impressed. I loved the offensive flow and pace. Nika, we all love that rascal. She is just that player that may not have tons of talent. Won't shoot the lights out. Won't dazzle you with fancy handles. She just gives you 100% EFFORT all the time and great leadership. When she hit that 3 ball to start the game, I got goosebumps. I love it when she shoots and if those shots are falling, just one more threat out there. I just love it when we have multiple scoring options. The team is practically lethal then. Way to go, Nika!!

Aaliyah- Very impressive. She just seems so much more comfortable out there compared to last season. Just more assertive. Her free throw shooting is much improved. As Alicia Keys sang "that girl on fire"!

Lou-OMG!! Love her!! She out there taking charges like a boss! Her court vision is off the charts. And her comfort level is perfect for the program. She is so chill but got that streak in her. And I honestly believe that she could less if she started or came off the bench. She is going to be a force out there.

Dorka- So glad she stayed. Such a huge talent. She is ready for Texas. She just has that determined look about her. Much like Aaliyah. They both seem very focused and intentional out there.

Azzi- What more needs to be said for this young lady? I just love her poise out there. Her shot was not following from 3-point range, but she was a beast in the mid-range.

Aubrey- OMG! Like Lou, Aubrey just brings so much to the team. We definitely missed her last year. Her ability to play the passing lanes, grab rebounds, and be active on the offensive and defensive ends of the court is impressive.

Ayanna- We never have to ask that question about toughness or who is going to be that body in the post. Ayanna ain't playing around in that paint area. She wants the contact. I can not wait to see the battle between Ayanna and Anessah Morrow on the glass.

Ines- I think she can run the team now. Not for long stretches of time but in time, I think she could hold the fort down if foul trouble happens to one of the guards and primary ball handlers out there. In this game, we really didn't get to see much of her but hopefully as the season progress, she gets more time out there. She just goes about her task; spread the ball around, if a lane is available go in for the layup. She doesn't force the action. Of course, we have a small sample size to go one, but I trust her out there.

Save the best for last, my girl Amari- This game, she was more active in the post. Looking to post up more. Her timing was off on some of her passes which created some turnovers. I just like the fact that when she is at the high post and she fronts or reverse pivots, she has that mindset of seeing one of her teammates being over played and there is space, if only for a second or two, she is going to thread that frigging needle with a pass. Oh, she is going make a few of those passes. I ain't mad at her for trying. Amari had a decent showing out there. Glad that coach got her out there. Hopefully this won't be the last time we see her getting playing time out there. Keep working hard, Amari, if you ever check out the Yard during your downtime. :)

Before the season started, I was worried about facing Texas before the season. Not knowing a lot about what we have. To be honest, still don't know what we have going into this matchup with Texas. I do know that what I have seen so far, my worries are lessen. I see multiple scoring options. Players not afraid to step up when another player is struggling. And I see some players that have grown from last year and want all the smoke, especially in the paint. If our girls can handle the physicality and pressure that Texas is going to bring, we are going to be okay and shock some people.

Let's Go, Huskies!

Reaction Score
For those bemoaning playing a 7 person rotation in a blowout - what? This was the 2nd game of the year - the first against a D1 team. How do you expect the team to get the playing time and experience to make the starting squad run like a finely tuned machine? The front line players also need minutes to learn to play well together. Be patient. There will be plenty of time for the second 5 to refine their game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For those bemoaning playing a 7 person rotation in a blowout - what? This was the 2nd game of the year - the first again a D1 team. How do you expect the team to get the playing time and experience to make the starting squad run like a finely tuned machine? The front line players also need minutes to learn to play well together. Be patient. There will be plenty of time for the second 5 to refine their game.

It's a 12 woman roster and 3 players are injured. Not many other minutes to give out other than the 7 that played.

Lou and Muhl were great. That backcourt is STACKED when Paige and Ducharme come back.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I watched the game in person and just finished reading through this thread. Here are some points that I don't think have been fully made:
  • In two games, it is very clear to me that Aubrey is playing in a guard/wing role, not in a front court role. And I think that is where she belongs, particularly now that she has a credible jump shot. She really isn't big enough or burly enough to play in the paint regularly, despite her leaping ability. She can still get a lot of rebounds, especially those long ones that go outside the paint.
  • Sorry to say this, but I give net negative marks to Amari on last night's game. One pretty hook shot doesn't offset 4 turnovers in 10 minutes, especially when your sole rebound results in a foul. She just isn't strong enough, and doesn't react quickly enough on the boards, to hang on to rebounds or to pull down contested rebounds. I don't think she can be considered part of the front court rotation at this point.
  • Given that reality, UConn's front court rotation is not deep at all: Dorka, Aaliyah, and Ayanna. Ayanna seems to be VERY foul-prone, which is predictable for a freshman trying to play physically. She fouled out of last night's game in a mere 13 minutes. Even if that is not going to prove typical, Geno still needs a fourth inside player, and it ain't Amari. Assuming that "the old Caroline" comes back pretty soon, I think it will be her. She has shown that she is versatile enough to fill that role.
  • Dorka is not nearly as strong a rebounder as Aaliyah or Ayanna (or as Liv was last year). She got stymied under the basket by smaller and less skilled defenders last night. That is an area where her game needs to improve during this year.
  • It looks to me as if Ines has already earned more minutes, and should see them soon. She plays both ends of the floor with poise and without histrionics, but with alertness to loose balls and open teammates. Unfortunately, I think Nika will commit enough fouls to open up minutes for Ines. I think that is a better option than moving Azzi over to PG.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
On Lou’s defense: she does extraordinary things, like getting in the passing lanes and working the press, can even take a charge. Her weaker side seems to be face up defense in the half court set. An opponent can get her to turn her hips too soon. That said, her D is not worse than KML, who was perhaps better fundamentally, but lacked Lou’s foot speed.

On Azzi’s offense: she’s shown us awesome perimeter shooting and an awesome ability to take the ball to the rim. What we haven’t seen much yet this season is her pull up jumper. This means we have more revelations to look forward to.

On team D: i really felt for Derin Erdogan. She was overwhelmed by the pressure from Azzi Nika and Lou. This had to be a really frustrating game for her.
An honest and true observation. We loved KML, but her defense was suspect. :eek: Lou's defense will improve as the season wears on. She knows the areas she needs to improve in.

Reaction Score
It may very well be way too much to ask of Patterson at this very early stage of her career but she has the most important attributes to post defense; she has size and strength, is athletic with good feet and plays an absolutely fearless, hard, hustling game.
If Patterson fouls out against a softy like Northeastern, it's going to be hard for her to stay on the court against a far more aggressive and athletic team like Texas...........it will be a major learning experience that will really help her for the rest of the season

Carnac

Reaction Score
I am very impressed. I loved the offensive flow and pace. Nika, we all love that rascal. She is just that player that may not have tons of talent. Won't shoot the lights out. Won't dazzle you with fancy handles. She just gives you 100% EFFORT all the time and great leadership. When she hit that 3 ball to start the game, I got goosebumps. I love it when she shoots and if those shots are falling, just one more threat out there. I just love it when we have multiple scoring options. The team is practically lethal then. Way to go, Nika!!

Aaliyah- Very impressive. She just seems so much more comfortable out there compared to last season. Just more assertive. Her free throw shooting is much improved. As Alicia Keys sang "that girl on fire"!

Lou-OMG!! Love her!! She out there taking charges like a boss! Her court vision is off the charts. And her comfort level is perfect for the program. She is so chill but got that streak in her. And I honestly believe that she could less if she started or came off the bench. She is going to be a force out there.

Dorka- So glad she stayed. Such a huge talent. She is ready for Texas. She just has that determined look about her. Much like Aaliyah. They both seem very focused and intentional out there.

Azzi- What more needs to be said for this young lady? I just love her poise out there. Her shot was not following from 3-point range, but she was a beast in the mid-range.

Aubrey- OMG! Like Lou, Aubrey just brings so much to the team. We definitely missed her last year. Her ability to play the passing lanes, grab rebounds, and be active on the offensive and defensive ends of the court is impressive.

Ayanna- We never have to ask that question about toughness or who is going to be that body in the post. Ayanna ain't playing around in that paint area. She wants the contact. I can not wait to see the battle between Ayanna and Anessah Morrow on the glass.

Ines- I think she can run the team now. Not for long stretches of time but in time, I think she could hold the fort down if foul trouble happens to one of the guards and primary ball handlers out there. In this game, we really didn't get to see much of her but hopefully as the season progress, she gets more time out there. She just goes about her task; spread the ball around, if a lane is available go in for the layup. She doesn't force the action. Of course, we have a small sample size to go one, but I trust her out there.

Save the best for last, my girl Amari- This game, she was more active in the post. Looking to post up more. Her timing was off on some of her passes which created some turnovers. I just like the fact that when she is at the high post and she fronts or reverse pivots, she has that mindset of seeing one of her teammates being over played and there is space, if only for a second or two, she is going to thread that frigging needle with a pass. Oh, she is going make a few of those passes. I ain't mad at her for trying. Amari had a decent showing out there. Glad that coach got her out there. Hopefully this won't be the last time we see her getting playing time out there. Keep working hard, Amari, if you ever check out the Yard during your downtime. :)

Before the season started, I was worried about facing Texas before the season. Not knowing a lot about what we have. To be honest, still don't know what we have going into this matchup with Texas. I do know that what I have seen so far, my worries are lessen. I see multiple scoring options. Players not afraid to step up when another player is struggling. And I see some players that have grown from last year and want all the smoke, especially in the paint. If our girls can handle the physicality and pressure that Texas is going to bring, we are going to be okay and shock some people.

Let's Go, Huskies!
Great post Mr. Bean!!! :D

Reaction Score
It's a 12 woman roster and 3 players are injured. Not many other minutes to give out other than the 7 that played.

Lou and Muhl were great. That backcourt is STACKED when Paige and Ducharme come back.
The roster has 12 but 2 are out for the season so only 10 active players. I have to assume Caroline will return soon. Paige is not in the conversation for THIS year. I'll worry about next year when it comes. That leaves 5 starters who need minutes together as I stated. It then leaves 5 others that will also need minutes. As the rotation develops some will get more and more time and the rest will get their time as the year progresses. I don't think we actually disagree in any of this except for the Paige reference for this year.

Reaction Score
If Patterson fouls out against a softy like Northeastern, it's going to be hard for her to stay on the court against a far more aggressive and athletic team like Texas...........it will be a major learning experience that will really help her for the rest of the season
I agree, a very valid point and was the impetus for my “asking too much” caveat.

Reaction Score
I’m old, I worry….plenty of weapons on this years team, sharp shooters, sharp passers. I still don’t see the player that will be able to stop the dominant big from getting the rebound or basket at the crucial time. Perhaps given this teams athleticism we will be able to blitzkreig our way to a win most games. Still I worry.
How many teams have the super dominant big that is going to control outcome of the game vs another elite team?

Carnac

Reaction Score
It's early in the season. Ayanna will adjust to play at this level. She will be fine. That's why I'm glad we're playing two top-ten teams early in the schedule. I expect UConn to look good and dominate lower/unranked lesser talented teams. I want to see them against teams as talented, big, and experienced as they are. THAT sir is how you can judge a team's true potential and proficiency. How do they stack up against the BIG boys? :eek:

Carnac

Reaction Score
I agree, a very valid point and was the impetus for my “asking too much” caveat.
Littlemin, sometimes you have to take some of the comments made here "tongue-in-cheek." :confused:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Freshmen fouling out early - very early - in the season is hardly a new phenomenon, especially post players. There’s a learning curve that includes adjusting to the speed of the game. Aaliyah was a chronic foul machine early in her career, too

Reaction Score
For those bemoaning playing a 7 person rotation in a blowout - what? This was the 2nd game of the year - the first against a D1 team. How do you expect the team to get the playing time and experience to make the starting squad run like a finely tuned machine? The front line players also need minutes to learn to play well together. Be patient. There will be plenty of time for the second 5 to refine their game.
Playing your best is always the best way to go. In the tight NCAA games nearly all the NCAA elite teams during tight games play their best and have a short bench. It's nice to fantasize that everyone eats but in fact the super player(s) take most of the plate. This wearing down by using a long bench is a myth. It's why you see in the NCAA late rounds the elite coaches don't do it vs playing their elite. The actual wearing down is having the elite players getting to the other team's bench.

Two very positive players for me are Edwards and Griffin. In the exhibition game - Edwards made a move early when she was left of the lane faked going left and went so quickly to her right across the lane -- (without walking!!) fro an easy layup, I was like wow - that was so so so quick for someone her size!! And it's so good to see Aubrey back.

I can't wait for Edwards (and when Patterson has more experience) to go at it with Morrow this year.

And Dorka just looks smoother and even bigger though a lot could be the competition and then there was also Liv - her size.

And Please please Ducharme come back!!

Reaction Score
I watched the game in person and just finished reading through this thread. Here are some points that I don't think have been fully made:
  • In two games, it is very clear to me that Aubrey is playing in a guard/wing role, not in a front court role. And I think that is where she belongs, particularly now that she has a credible jump shot. She really isn't big enough or burly enough to play in the paint regularly, despite her leaping ability. She can still get a lot of rebounds, especially those long ones that go outside the paint.
  • Sorry to say this, but I give net negative marks to Amari on last night's game. One pretty hook shot doesn't offset 4 turnovers in 10 minutes, especially when your sole rebound results in a foul. She just isn't strong enough, and doesn't react quickly enough on the boards, to hang on to rebounds or to pull down contested rebounds. I don't think she can be considered part of the front court rotation at this point.
  • Given that reality, UConn's front court rotation is not deep at all: Dorka, Aaliyah, and Ayanna. Ayanna seems to be VERY foul-prone, which is predictable for a freshman trying to play physically. She fouled out of last night's game in a mere 13 minutes. Even if that is not going to prove typical, Geno still needs a fourth inside player, and it ain't Amari. Assuming that "the old Caroline" comes back pretty soon, I think it will be her. She has shown that she is versatile enough to fill that role.
  • Dorka is not nearly as strong a rebounder as Aaliyah or Ayanna (or as Liv was last year). She got stymied under the basket by smaller and less skilled defenders last night. That is an area where her game needs to improve during this year.
  • It looks to me as if Ines has already earned more minutes, and should see them soon. She plays both ends of the floor with poise and without histrionics, but with alertness to loose balls and open teammates. Unfortunately, I think Nika will commit enough fouls to open up minutes for Ines. I think that is a better option than moving Azzi over to PG.
On the money. This is where the loss of Brady will really hurt. If the good ball movement can be sustained against good teams, Brady would've been a real weapon at the high post with her shooting and passing, not to mention her rebounding and 5 fouls to use.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
It's early in the season. Ayanna will adjust to play at this level. She will be fine. That's why I'm glad we're playing two top-ten teams early in the schedule. I expect UConn to look good and dominate lower/unranked lesser talented teams. I want to see them against teams as talented, big, and experienced as they are. THAT sir is how you can judge a team's true potential and proficiency. How do they stack up against the BIG boys? :eek:
'How do they stack up against the BIG boys?'
cable on the fritz again? u should get starlink.
max snark alert warning. incoming.

this guys undies are too tight at the seat.

really should be the fergie, or zhavia tunes, but u know, time and place an all that. certainly, the girls team would understand those.
and why do all those under the boardwalk and shimmy cocoa pops singers always sound like jerry lewis?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The only ominous feature was that we played just seven players, essentially. DeBerry and Ines came in for a few meaningless minutes toward the end. But our starters and two off the bench played heavy minutes in what was a blowout. This is when one hopes that the starters are sent to the bench to rest. I recall that Maya used to play barely 20 minutes per game, relaxing for the rest of it on the bench.
It became really obvious to me how short of a bench we have right now when Patterson fouled out. We were forced to have two starters in to close the game.

Caroline coming back will be great, because I foresee her being a 25-30 mpg player. That will help give more rest to Azzi, Lou, and Nika.

Deberry playing the 4th quarters of “blowout” games will be a big help to keep Dorka and Aaliyah fresh late in the season. It will also give her time to get more comfortable this year, as we will likely need her next season.

Reaction Score
Freshmen fouling out early - very early - in the season is hardly a new phenomenon, especially post players. There’s a learning curve that includes adjusting to the speed of the game. Aaliyah was a chronic foul machine early in her career, too
Interestingly enough, there have been 22 performances where a Uconn player has fouled out from the 2014/15 season through last year. Over our last 8 seasons, we’ve averaged 2.75 foul outs per season, as a team. A really cool stat to emphasize how the program has taught defense without fouling, and showcases the depth we’ve had.

Two times in those 8 years, 2018/19 and 2015/16, we had no players foul out for the full season. 2018/19 is particularly impressive, as we had 5 players average over 31.3 mpg. Impressive that the team, led by Samuelson and Collier as seniors, learned how to keep themselves on the court.

Reaction Score
On the money. This is where the loss of Brady will really hurt. If the good ball movement can be sustained against good teams, Brady would've been a real weapon at the high post with her shooting and passing, not to mention her rebounding and 5 fouls to use.
I think that if Brady had remained healthy, UConn would have had a really good chance of winning an NC..........her ability to score from anywhere on the court and her muscle on the boards will be sorely missed.......

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Keep in mind that Lou will be gone when Paige comes back. Unfortunately! Anyone else wish Lou could stay another year?? :)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Those are pretty high expectations for someone that’s never played a college game and never had that kind of pressure. Freshmen are notoriously unreliable

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom