Northeastern Postgame Thread | The Boneyard

Northeastern Postgame Thread

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Northeastern game:
  • Fast start tonight for the Huskies, and they really never let up. Love the fact that Nika buried a 3 to open the game. Lots of good ball and player movement on offense. Lots of relentless ball pressure on defense.
  • Aaliyah is becoming the player we all thought she would be after her freshman season. She is really active at both ends of the court. She’s making better decisions on the court. Her offensive repertoire has expanded significantly and she’s even giving Azzi a run for her money as the best FT shooter on the team. :rolleyes:
  • Speaking of Azzi, her 0/7 start from the arc before finally knocking one down was a bit of a shock, but it forced her to find another way to impact the game. She did so by effectively attacking the basket time after time.
  • We’ve all been hearing that Aubrey is a better shooter this season. Tonight we got to witness it. Aubrey knocked down her first two shots: a midrange jumper and a 3, and followed that with a couple nice drives to the basket. It’s all about confidence!!!
  • Nika continues to be the driving force for this team, and a pain in the ass for opponents. If I were an opposing player, I would absolutely, positively HATE playing against her……
  • Some nice things from Amari tonight including a left-handed hook shot and a Steph Dolson blindside screen. :eek: I even liked her block & intentional foul.
  • So far so good. Monday night at Gampel will be UConn’s first big test of the season. Many basketball pundits have downplayed UConn’s chances to earn #12 this year, or even reach another FF. I personally expect the Huskies will make a very loud statement vs the Longhorns on Monday night. LET’S GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Northeastern game:
  • Fast start tonight for the Huskies, and they really never let up. Love the fact that Nika buried a 3 to open the game. Lots of good ball and player movement on offense. Lots of relentless ball pressure on defense.
  • Aaliyah is becoming the player we all thought she would be after her freshman season. She is really active at both ends of the court. She’s making better decisions on the court. Her offensive repertoire has expanded significantly and she’s even giving Azzi a run for her money as the best FT shooter on the team. :rolleyes:
  • Speaking of Azzi, her 0/7 start from the arc before finally knocking one down was a bit of a shock, but it forced her to find another way to impact the game. She did so by effectively attacking the basket time after time.
  • We’ve all been hearing that Aubrey is a better shooter this season. Tonight we got to witness it. Aubrey knocked down her first two shots: a midrange jumper and a 3, and followed that with a couple nice drives to the basket. It’s all about confidence!!!
  • Nika continues to be the driving force for this team, and a pain in the ass for opponents. If I were an opposing player, I would absolutely, positively HATE playing against her……
  • Some nice things from Amari tonight including a left-handed hook shot and a Steph Dolson blindside screen. :eek: I even liked her block & intentional foul.
  • So far so good. Monday night at Gampel will be UConn’s first big test of the season. Many basketball pundits have downplayed UConn’s chances to earn #12 this year, or even reach another FF. I personally expect the Huskies will make a very loud statement vs the Longhorns on Monday night. LET’S GO HUSKIES!!!
Ameri showed some GRIT. A tech Foul can be bad or to show who you are. Patterson, is a Frosh, so I'll give her credit even for the early foul trouble and minimal scoring. Dorka too--she finally came around in the second half. LOU, is all Geno hope and said she was. IneS needs the USA Div one time, I have great hope for her. I agree, I've played against Nika type of players--I wanted to lay them out on the floor, but respect them I did, as I do Nika. Thank you Geno for Ameri I think you saw a light bulb turn on in her head tonight. Score rebound defend lose her kool all what I want from a "big". Maybe the numbers weren't huge but they showed up in the stats never-the -less. Good practice game for the team, good teaching game for the Coaches.

Reaction Score
Like coach said Monday will be a test for our offense which I think looked sloppy at times. I am happy with how things are progressing. I think Dorka needs to be better finishing in the post, Nika needs to stop fouling and make more solid passes. She does mostly but she has moments of laziness and that won’t be good in the big games. Lou got beat alot off the dribble. Her feet are terribly slow on defense. She is an elite scorer but she looks like she could be a defensive liability when we play the elite teams that are quick with the ball. I wanna see more of Ines, I can tell she will be good by the way she moves and she has really quick feet and passes the ball really solidly. Looks a little nervous but that will pass. I like what I see from her and I think it’s just a matter of time.

Reaction Score
It’s always great to see the players at the start of the season. Normally, the first few games showcase the individual players and their skills, with team play lagging behind. This year, this team looks like a TEAM. Team play is ahead of where they usually are at the the beginning of the season.

Enjoyed the individual defense.

Such a joy seeing Aubrey playing. I loved seeing her move from the 3 point line to the basket in a flash.

Good free throw shooting and making bunnies.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
--NE did not take their beating timidly. They were aggressive. Maybe too aggessive at times.
--There were few games last year where there as many deflections and blocks as tonight. Geno's point of emphasis with defense is paying off.
--Amari has to find another spot on offense. She forces too many passes from the high post. Love her playing time though.
--Look for Edwards to have a big game Monday night. She is playing with confidence and is not afraid of the big moments.
--I am not worried in the slightest about the 3 point %. Few of the shots were forced. They just didn't fall.
--Geno obviously enjoying this team is weird to watch.
--I guess I have to accept the fact that the days of quality officiating are over.

Reaction Score
I have to reassess my opinion of this team. BOY! DO WE HAVE A TEAM OR NOT. Texas is in for a big surprise on the 14th. Every body contributed , even Amari, free throws! We are a juggernaut! Our defense was superb ,Nika was at her best, the whole team was a defensive wall. I was amazed. GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
Will summarize my comments - Damn! Great Game! Will let other posters comment on the offensive and defensive parts, but overall this game achieved all Top 3 and other goals I hoped UConn would achieve. Loved watching Griffin on offense and defense but could also comment positively on every other player.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom