North Dakota St or UConn as is? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

North Dakota St or UConn as is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Funny how people read things differently. It's not about giving up, it was a comparison about being a FCS FB champ for 5 years in a row or being stuck in this mess. Being that I'm sure you didn't know ND St's history, I'll give you a pass.

Sorry the men lost.

Are you suggesting that the comparison is based on UCONN winning five FCS championships in a row, like that's just automatically going to happen at some point if we give up playing FBS and drop down to FCS? If so, that's nuts because we'll all be long dead before it happens, if ever. Besides, even if and when it did happen, most FCS teams that have that kind of run of success (i.e. Appalachian State) usually decide to upgrade to FBS because the lower division no longer offers them any challenge. So, even if UCONN dominated FCS football for years, we'd probably just end up right back in the FBS.

In reality, there won't be any FBS/FCS divide in another 10 years or so, because the P5 conferences will split and form their own association. That way they'll no longer have to share the BB money with over 200 DI schools they can leave behind. If UCONN isn't in a P5 by then, we're gonna get left behind along with the Villanovas and Georgetowns of college sports.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
That's not the problem. No G5 coach should have a $5M buyout. Even if they had the money that's a poor use of it.
If I had a loose 6 mil, I might spend 5 there...

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
1. Appalachian St. 6 149,366 24,894
2. Montana 7 170,660 24,380
3. James Madison 7 147,076 21,011
4. Southern U. 5 100,536 20,107
5. Yale 6 99,045 19,809
6. Montana St. 6 118,222 19,704
7. North Dak St. 9 167,600 18,622
TEAM # GAMES TOTAL AVERAGE

Attendance 2013 stats. Surprising Yale does so well with no post season interest. I doubt UConn would be top 25 for attendance. I guess you have to ask yourself if 18-20,0000 is "people showing up" and if you would be excited by FCS competition. The answer to both of those questions for me is no. FBS P-conference or fly fishing.

EDIT: 30,000 +?! Thats delusional. App State can't break 25k but we would? Not likely.

Pick a year Yale doesn't host Harvard, and you'll answer your question as to how. That game skews their average in a major way.

eg 2015: 2015 Yale Bulldogs football team - Wikipedia

52,126 :)

Reaction Score
If we were in a P5 and losing the answer would be let us find a coach that can get us wins. Our situation is that we are outside and trying to get in any one of the P5. And we are losing miserably. And the conf which was so scorned with the utmost of contempt has turned out to be too competitive for us. We have a false sense of who and what we can be. The solution- we have fired more coaches than some people change underpants. Diaco may go tomorrow, but so will the next guy after him. I read here that some of the hottest coaches out there were once pacing our sidelines. Perhaps our problems lie elsewhere. See all the NE schools (including RU, etc)-- they are all now 'once upon a time places.' How much more time? If Diaco goes after next year, how long does the incoming coach have to bring 'happy days' to Storrs? How many cons. seasons of 6-4 or better- because 5-5 for 2 seasons would not do- or what? In our situation would we get someone who would not want a 3-5 year deal?

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
The only four sports I care about:

1) I was a UConn BB fan for 22 years and they rewarded me with a national championship.
2) I was a New England Patriot fan for 26 years and they rewarded me with a Super Bowl championship.
3) I was a Chicago Cub fan for 50 years and they rewarded me with a World Series championship.
4) I've been a UConn FB fan for 39 years and they will reward me at some point.

No retreat. Full steam ahead.

I believe.

Reaction Score
I've already been rewarded. Without UConn FB, I never would have met sportsart!

You know I've sat behind you for years watching you Coachcap and sometimes Pudge and I have to say, they put you to shame on 3rd down. :)

Reaction Score
There's no discernible evidence that Suzy is working on a primary plan, let alone a "back up" plan to get us anywhere other than where we currently are. At this point, the plan should be to jettison our clown coach ASAP for the least possible amount of money.

Uconn has a medical school correct? I imagine that they have cadavers there correct? Diaco drives a car yes? I imagine that car has a trunk yes? I'm just asking questions here, not making suggestions, but how bad do you all want to get rid of this clown?;)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You know I've sat behind you for years watching you Coachcap and sometimes Pudge and I have to say, they put you to shame on 3rd down. :)
That's what Diaco has done to me. I've always stood and yelled. The people behind me never stand and my attitude has always been 'em. But this year, I pretty much just yelled.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'd only support going to FCS if UConn was admitted to the Ivy League. That would be worth it to the school. Aside from that, stay the course and do better at this level.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'd only support going to FCS if UConn was admitted to the Ivy League. That would be worth it to the school. Aside from that, stay the course and do better at this level.
If we revert to FCS, I'll revert to my FCS fandom level. Maybe a game or two, every couple of years.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If we revert to FCS, I'll revert to my FCS fandom level. Maybe a game or two, every couple of years.

Ironically, if it was Ivy league, I'd probably go to several road games @ Harvard and Brown for sure. I certainly went to the Yale - UConn game back in the day. But aside from Ivy...and the prestige that comes with it, moving to FCS make no sense at all.

Reaction Score
This is purely and simply about hiring the right coach. With all the movement in the league there are opportunities to move up or down (well not much downward space for us right now) Moving back to fcs isn't a real option. Doing it and drawing 30000 is a fantasy. If we do that we can bulldoze the Rent and build a 10,000 seat venue on campus and be done with it.

And Art, you forgot about moving hoops to the Big East.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
We'd prob have to like remove the top deck from The Rent or something.... Place would always be an empty concrete coffin... Oh wait...

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
We could be like Memphis and tarp off half the stadium and report attendance like tarp is people.
Yeah... the way I see it we're only a matter of time away from this at the rate season tickets and general interest in this program is headed. Honestly, I'm sure they'd take whatever extra revenue they can gain from the advertising dollars.

A few other examples:

at Rice...
primary.jpg

at Northwestern...
screen_shot_2013-08-19_at_10.08.36_pm.0.png

Last edited by a moderator:

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Rice is another cautionary tale for us. They used to be in a power conference, the SWC. Their stadium seats 75,000. There are still about 55 - 60,000 seats available, even with the end zone seats covered with tarps.

They're lucky if they get actual attendance of 5,000 at their games as a C-USA team. Imagine what that looks like in their cavernous stadium.

At least the Rent only seats 40,000. 5,000 looks like a whole lot more people in a 40,000 seat stadium than it does in a 75,000 seat one, but that definitely doesn't make it a good thing. That's where we're headed if our administration doesn't get their collective heads out of their asses. It's high time for them to terminate our clueless head coach and his merry band of know-nothing assistant coach cronies.

We will likely be playing games at the Rent with the entire upper deck tarped over pretty damn soon if the UCONN administration doesn't fix this mess. Think about what that will look like on TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom