North Dakota St or UConn as is? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

North Dakota St or UConn as is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Whatever we averaged at Memorial Stadium in Holtz's last season when we went to the I-AA playoffs is about what you can expect at the FCS level, and only if we win most of our games.

So you are comparing trailers, crappy small stadium, no facilities to speak of and a non top 20 university to today's UConn? Um...ok

Look guys, I would love to stay at the FBS level but PP and Diaco have dug a hole we can't get out of (in the AAC) in my opinion.

We can't make it on AAC money and we are not getting a P5 invite. So what is the answer.?

I'm tired of dreaming for something that ain't coming. Even a great coach and winning the AAC won't save us.

Reaction Score
Most everyone on here knows the history of ND St and all of their FCS championships.

Would you rather drop down and try and compete for FCS championships or keep trying to tread water as an FBS.

With our highly ranked education and top notch facilities and stadium, why can't we just make the drop and build a dynasty? With an exciting offense and several 10-2 or 11-1 seasons plus playoffs, I think people show up.

My choice is to drop and become the next North Dakota St. (currently on EPSN vs South Dakota St in playoff game)
Art trolling us? Or maybe he was up all night and needs to get off the sauce? Wtf is this thread? Really??

Reaction Score
So you are comparing trailers, crappy small stadium, no facilities to speak of and a non top 20 university to today's UConn? Um...ok

Look guys, I would love to stay at the FBS level but PP and Diaco have dug a hole we can't get out of (in the AAC) in my opinion.

We can't make it on AAC money and we are not getting a P5 invite. So what is the answer.?

I'm tired of dreaming for something that ain't coming. Even a great coach and winning the AAC won't save us.
Head bang

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

No, I'm comparing playing an FBS schedule to an FCS schedule. You do realize you're talking about going back to playing teams like New Hampshire, Maine and Delaware? We just drew what most folks eyeballed as way less than 10,000 for a game vs FBS Tulane. Do you really think facilities and academic stature have anything to do with attendance? They sure didn't against Tulane.

Reaction Score
Art trolling us? Or maybe he was up all night and needs to get off the sauce? Wtf is this thread? Really??

Definetly no sauce. Did not start as troll but then I felt a wave of Palatine come over me.

I have come to the realization we are screwed. I no longer think about the "invite". I am burned out waiting for things to change.

Like I said, great coach and winning AAC does not save us. So why should I have hope?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The school would drop football all together before going back to FCS.

Out of curiosity what do you think every program in the old CUSA, current MW or current MAC is doing? It's not P5 or nothing.

Reaction Score
Everyone on this board. Or anyone or somebody or whoever.

Is that the only thing you picked up on?

I was asking in relation to who you think we should be able to out-recruit. I'm pretty sure it is not "everyone".

Also - it seems as if you are saying that BECAUSE we are no good in this G5 conference, and we will never get a P5 invite, that we should play FCS ball, because we would be good at it - even though we weren't every very good at it when that's where we were.

I'm really not following you.

Reaction Score
Can we just spend some fracking money and bring in a capable FBS level coaching staff for once?? Having a G5 leading AD budget does absolutely zero good if we can't crack the top third in the AAC in football coach salary.

It isn't can't. We picked the wrong guy, and then picked the wrong guy again.

Texas wasn't bad because they didn't spend money.

It also isn't like we went after higher profile coaches than Diaco and were turned down because of money. We will know if the money is an issue after Diaco is gone and Benedict refuses to spend the appropriate amount of money on a new staff. And if he goes on the cheap, you know that isn't because he thinks spending money on football is stupid.

Reaction Score
I was asking in relation to who you think we should be able to out-recruit. I'm pretty sure it is not "everyone".

Also - it seems as if you are saying that BECAUSE we are no good in this G5 conference, and we will never get a P5 invite, that we should play FCS ball, because we would be good at it - even though we weren't every very good at it when that's where we were.

I'm really not following you.

When we were there, we had none of what we have now.

Who has the facilities, education and stadium?

Let me be clear. If I thought we had a chance to be something, staying where we are, I'd say stay.

But no one has shown me how to survive where we are at.

Are we going to bump us student costs to $40 mill to keep us a float? Nope. So then how?

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Most everyone on here knows the history of ND St and all of their FCS championships.

Would you rather drop down and try and compete for FCS championships or keep trying to tread water as an FBS.

With our highly ranked education and top notch facilities and stadium, why can't we just make the drop and build a dynasty? With an exciting offense and several 10-2 or 11-1 seasons plus playoffs, I think people show up.

My choice is to drop and become the next North Dakota St. (currently on EPSN vs South Dakota St in playoff game)
Wow, just threw up in my mouth a little. F FCS. It sucks. I have no issue driving down from Boston for BCS games, even while we're in the American. I am never driving down to see an FCS game. It is the college minors\ leagues. We are UConn. We are not the minor leagues. Would rather drop football altogether and that is something I'd never vote for.

Reaction Score
When we were there, we had none of what we have now.

Who has the facilities, education and stadium?

Let me be clear. If I thought we had a chance to be something, staying where we are, I'd say stay.

But no one has shown me how to survive where we are at.

Are we going to bump us student costs to $40 mill to keep us a float? Nope. So then how?

If your argument is that we have better facilities than most of the FCS so relative to other FCS schools we should have a recruiting advantage? Yes, I agree.

BUT, we would still have to hire a competent coaching staff. And THIS staff, with THESE players, wouldn't have made the FCS playoffs either. So you still have to get that right.

I'm struggling to understand why everyone thinks it is impossible to build a good team for the money that we are spending when other AAC/MAC teams do it every year.

Reaction Score
If your argument is that we have better facilities than most of the FCS so relative to other FCS schools we should have a recruiting advantage? Yes, I agree.

BUT, we would still have to hire a competent coaching staff. And THIS staff, with THESE players, wouldn't have made the FCS playoffs either. So you still have to get that right.

I'm struggling to understand why everyone thinks it is impossible to build a good team for the money that we are spending when other AAC/MAC teams do it every year.

Fair point about what MAC teams do. For the past 5 years on the CR board, all I kept reading was we are dead with AAC money.

So then, are we or are we not dead with AAC money?

That is what has caused me to think this way.

Reaction Score
Fair point about what MAC teams do. For the past 5 years on the CR board, all I kept reading was we are dead with AAC money.

So then, are we or are we not dead with AAC money?

That is what has caused me to think this way.

USA TODAY Sports

Here is where UCONN's money comes from:

2015:
  • Tickets - $9.9M (has been as high as $15M - when we were selling out the Rent)
  • Contributions - $6.7M (actually lower than most years - not sure why)
  • Licensing - $25.5M (all rights - not sure when the BE money is done)
  • Student Fees - $10.2M (counted as part of the $28M subsidy)
  • Subsidy from the school - $17.9M (the actual subsidy)
  • Other - $1.9M
  • Total - $72.2M - 48th in the country
So I don't think we are dead. And while the BE credits from MBB will dry up soon, we did win a title as a member of the AAC as did Louisville so those credits accrue to the conference, so I don't think it will be as bad as some say - meaning it won't go to zero.

To me - the only issue is the $17.9M that we get from the school - if that needs to get curtailed that can hurt. Student fees were over $6M 10 years ago - not suggesting that you can increase them forever, but UCONN is increasingly competitive, meaning the demand is there and the student fees aren't even close to curtailing it.

Bottom line - there might be a few million at risk in these numbers, but we spend more than the following FBS schools with real football programs:
  • $4.5M more than Colorado
  • $7.5M more than Oregon State
  • $10M more than Utah
  • $18M more than Washington State
  • $28M more than Houston
etc.

So I don't want to hear that it is the money - hire the right coaches.

Reaction Score
USA TODAY Sports

Here is where UCONN's money comes from:

2015:
  • Tickets - $9.9M (has been as high as $15M - when we were selling out the Rent)
  • Contributions - $6.7M (actually lower than most years - not sure why)
  • Licensing - $25.5M (all rights - not sure when the BE money is done)
  • Student Fees - $10.2M (counted as part of the $28M subsidy)
  • Subsidy from the school - $17.9M (the actual subsidy)
  • Other - $1.9M
  • Total - $72.2M - 48th in the country
So I don't think we are dead. And while the BE credits from MBB will dry up soon, we did win a title as a member of the AAC as did Louisville so those credits accrue to the conference, so I don't think it will be as bad as some say - meaning it won't go to zero.

To me - the only issue is the $17.9M that we get from the school - if that needs to get curtailed that can hurt. Student fees were over $6M 10 years ago - not suggesting that you can increase them forever, but UCONN is increasingly competitive, meaning the demand is there and the student fees aren't even close to curtailing it.

Bottom line - there might be a few million at risk in these numbers, but we spend more than the following FBS schools with real football programs:
  • $4.5M more than Colorado
  • $7.5M more than Oregon State
  • $10M more than Utah
  • $18M more than Washington State
  • $28M more than Houston
etc.

So I don't want to hear that it is the money - hire the right coaches.

Not sure where you got $17 mill from student subsidies because I remember $27 mill being the number.

UConn Subsidies For Sports Teams, Programs Rank Third In Nation

Reaction Score
If we dropped down to FCS I can guarantee you that in 5 years I wouldn't be able to name 4 players on the team.

Jesus with this stuff.

Easy Jimmy. Just a conversation.

To be clear, my initial post was to be the next ND St, if we dropped to FCS, not just drop.

Probably should have said "Would you rather have been a UConn FB fan the past 6 years or a ND St FB fan".

They certainly have had more fun.

I still don't know how we survive with barely above MAC money, again because for literally years, I've heard we can't.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score

No. No one in the state legislature is going to support an FCS team, no matter how good they are. Funding would plummet, and UCOnn would forever play in front of crowds that maxed out at 18k (not that that is far off from the current situation).

Reaction Score

What lousy idea!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So UConn was FCS (I-AA) you may have noticed they didn't set the world on fire.

About the last thing that wins at the FCS level is academics. That might be the biggest dead end in the world.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Art, you don't like my posts, I hate yours. But tou are so wrong on this.
If we drop to 1-aa not only won't I buy tickets or donate, I may tell folks I went to Central

Reaction Score
So UConn was FCS (I-AA) you may have noticed they didn't set the world on fire.

About the last thing that wins at the FCS level is academics. That might be the biggest dead end in the world.

Why do I have to keep saying UConn pre FBS is a completely different animal as it is today so please stop comparing the 2.

Everyone else, my first choice is not to do this. Period, end of story. But I still haven't seen an reasonable solutions to the current problem.

For 5 years I've read we need a P5 invite or we are dead. No P5 in our future and no competing for the AAC title anytime soon.

We can live in fantasy land or we can talk about a reasonable end game. That's all I want from here on out.

I'd rather not watch this dumpster fire burn for 5 more years. I remember reading Susan was working on a back up plan if no invite came from the Big 12. Any thoughts on if there is such a thing?

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
This is really what you'd choose? You'd have plenty of room to spread out. 5k in a 40k stadium is not enticing. ND State draws well because they win. Kids go there because they win.
Thank you captain obvious

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Why do I have to keep saying UConn pre FBS is a completely different animal as it is today so please stop comparing the 2.

Everyone else, my first choice is not to do this. Period, end of story. But I still haven't seen an reasonable solutions to the current problem.

For 5 years I've read we need a P5 invite or we are dead. No P5 in our future and no competing for the AAC title anytime soon.

We can live in fantasy land or we can talk about a reasonable end game. That's all I want from here on out.

I'd rather not watch this dumpster fire burn for 5 more years. I remember reading Susan was working on a back up plan if no invite came from the Big 12. Any thoughts on if there is such a thing?

I get your point. I'm not attacing it.

I don't think dropping down makes UConn a huge magnet for players.

If you aren't willing to bend the acadamic standards for FBS - you need to go even lower for FCS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom