North Dakota St or UConn as is? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

North Dakota St or UConn as is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
ND State draws well because they win.

And because what else is there to do in Fargo?

I was surprised at the number of Black players on the squad. Unlikely any are from within 500 miles of campus.

Reaction Score
Most everyone on here knows the history of ND St and all of their FCS championships.

Would you rather drop down and try and compete for FCS championships or keep trying to tread water as an FBS.

With our highly ranked education and top notch facilities and stadium, why can't we just make the drop and build a dynasty? With an exciting offense and several 10-2 or 11-1 seasons plus playoffs, I think people show up.

My choice is to drop and become the next North Dakota St. (currently on EPSN vs South Dakota St in playoff game)
Why don't you go root for Central Connecticut State. Dropping down means your a quitter and last time I looked UConn isn't a quitter.

Reaction Score
Why don't you go root for Central Connecticut State. Dropping down means your a quitter and last time I looked UConn isn't a quitter.

Thank you for providing the solution Mrs Pasqualoni.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Art has left the Reservation. Being a homer for the admin and finally realizing the imbeciles in charge have no clue what to do next has made him snap

Reaction Score
Look at where NH, RI, and ME are with their football programs. That is where we would be. And it could be argued that is where we are now.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
USA TODAY Sports

Here is where UCONN's money comes from:

2015:
  • Tickets - $9.9M (has been as high as $15M - when we were selling out the Rent)
  • Contributions - $6.7M (actually lower than most years - not sure why)
  • Licensing - $25.5M (all rights - not sure when the BE money is done)
  • Student Fees - $10.2M (counted as part of the $28M subsidy)
  • Subsidy from the school - $17.9M (the actual subsidy)
  • Other - $1.9M
  • Total - $72.2M - 48th in the country
So I don't think we are dead. And while the BE credits from MBB will dry up soon, we did win a title as a member of the AAC as did Louisville so those credits accrue to the conference, so I don't think it will be as bad as some say - meaning it won't go to zero.

To me - the only issue is the $17.9M that we get from the school - if that needs to get curtailed that can hurt. Student fees were over $6M 10 years ago - not suggesting that you can increase them forever, but UCONN is increasingly competitive, meaning the demand is there and the student fees aren't even close to curtailing it.

Bottom line - there might be a few million at risk in these numbers, but we spend more than the following FBS schools with real football programs:
  • $4.5M more than Colorado
  • $7.5M more than Oregon State
  • $10M more than Utah
  • $18M more than Washington State
  • $28M more than Houston
etc.

So I don't want to hear that it is the money - hire the right coaches.

You completely outlined what needs to happen without saying it. UConn needs to stop sponsoring 25+ teams and needs to drop to a number where they can support football at the same level as schools like Houston. It's going to be painful - but that is why people like Benedict make so much money - to deal with difficult decisions and the blow back they create.

Michigan and Ohio State generate almost as much in ticket sales for a single football home game as UConn does across the entire program.

Reaction Score
You completely outlined what needs to happen without saying it. UConn needs to stop sponsoring 25+ teams and needs to drop to a number where they can support football at the same level as schools like Houston. It's going to be painful - but that is why people like Benedict make so much money - to deal with difficult decisions and the blow back they create.

Michigan and Ohio State generate almost as much in ticket sales for a single football home game as UConn does across the entire program.

Perhaps. But until the lack of funding actually becomes a problem (the budget has gone up every single year), can we stop saying it is a problem?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Perhaps. But until the lack of funding actually becomes a problem (the budget has gone up every single year), can we stop saying it is a problem?

They don't have money to fire Diaco. Ergo problemo.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That's not the problem. No G5 coach should have a $5M buyout. Even if they had the money that's a poor use of it.

Well half the reason I don't hate Herbst is because you support her - so we are kind of at dead end here.

Reaction Score
Well half the reason I don't hate Herbst is because you support her - so we are kind of at dead end here.

I mean if Burton came to me with a check I would do it. But not if it hurt future donations.

I still don't know why this was done or who pushed for it, but the contract extension is a disaster. I would imagine that it was WM and Herbst agreed. I can't believe it was her idea.

Reaction Score
I still don't know why this was done or who pushed for it, but the contract extension is a disaster. I would imagine that it was WM and Herbst agreed. I can't believe it was her idea.

THAT is the Pulitzer story if investigated and written.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I mean if Burton came to me with a check I would do it. But not if it hurt future donations.

I guess we had a guy who knew there was an opening where he wanted to be - and being able to claim he locked up his big hire who had momentum (if you were a thousand miles away it might have seemed that way) it played in his interviews. Hopefully Ohio State beats them until they shoot Warde into the sun.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm not even sure its a Jacob's gig - needs to be someone who doesn't GAF,

It will be easy to write 12 months from now when everyone is fired. The scapegoat will be clear.

Reaction Score
My reason for posting is I don't see any other reasonable solution.

We aren't getting invite soon, if ever. So what is everyone'solution?

I'll say it again. With our facilities, education and stadium. we should able to out recruit everyone.

Install a high scoring, spread offense and people will come to see a fun, winning team.
Not fans like me. I had little interest in UConn Football until they went FBS. I used to be a fan, of all teams, BC as they were the only Div 1 team in NE.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Sports Art - your frustration is dead on. However, the notion of dropping down is as smart as retaining Diaco.

The holy grail is P5confererence money. Argument sake you are correct and we never get to a P5 or P4. We are in the AAC- the money will never reach P5 holy grail - but Aresco will make a better contract considering he did the last one under severe duress. Argument sake we get $5 M a year for TV. It's not what we make now, but it is better than the alternative. You probably still have a shot a New Years bowl and can still schedule P5 teams.

Go down to FCS, your best TV will be $500,000 a year - we will operate at a loss and have no shot to protect basketball or anything else. No name team will come to the Rent. Not many fans will show either.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
In the nicest way possible, this thread is pathetic. Yeah lets just give up, that sounds great.

Reaction Score
In the nicest way possible, this thread is pathetic. Yeah lets just give up, that sounds great.

Funny how people read things differently. It's not about giving up, it was a comparison about being a FCS FB champ for 5 years in a row or being stuck in this mess. Being that I'm sure you didn't know ND St's history, I'll give you a pass.

Sorry the men lost.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Funny how people read things differently. It's not about giving up, it was a comparison about being a FCS FB champ for 5 years in a row or being stuck in this mess. Being that I'm sure you didn't know ND St's history, I'll give you a pass.

Sorry the men lost.
Don't be, they're playing with 7 guys.

But cmon man... you really wanna be North Dakota St? We made a Fiesta bowl at one point. Just because it's been a dark period for awhile, doesn't mean there isn't light at the end of the tunnel. If in some magical case we fire Diaco on Jan 1st, you'd still want to go down a level, knowing the new staff can't be any worse than this?

Reaction Score
Don't be, they're playing with 7 guys.

But cmon man... you really wanna be North Dakota St? We made a Fiesta bowl at one point. Just because it's been a dark period for awhile, doesn't mean there isn't light at the end of the tunnel. If in some magical case we fire Diaco on Jan 1st, you'd still want to go down a level, knowing the new staff can't be any worse than this?

You obviously did not read my other posts where I said I'd rather not drop down if I had a choice.

Hardcorehusky was the only one that posted what I asked for and that was "How can we survive this current cluster f'k?"

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
You obviously did not read my other posts where I said I'd rather not drop down if I had a choice.

Hardcorehusky was the only one that posted what I asked for and that was "How can we survive this current cluster f'k?"
I read the OP then commented, my mistake.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Why do I have to keep saying UConn pre FBS is a completely different animal as it is today so please stop comparing the 2.

Everyone else, my first choice is not to do this. Period, end of story. But I still haven't seen an reasonable solutions to the current problem.

For 5 years I've read we need a P5 invite or we are dead. No P5 in our future and no competing for the AAC title anytime soon.

We can live in fantasy land or we can talk about a reasonable end game. That's all I want from here on out.

I'd rather not watch this dumpster fire burn for 5 more years. I remember reading Susan was working on a back up plan if no invite came from the Big 12. Any thoughts on if there is such a thing?

There's no discernible evidence that Suzy is working on a primary plan, let alone a "back up" plan to get us anywhere other than where we currently are. At this point, the plan should be to jettison our clown coach ASAP for the least possible amount of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom