Non-UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 53 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I really have no idea what she'd be thinking. I was just pointing out that she'll be in a position to go wherever she's most comfortable with no concerns of whether DeBerry or any other big is there. Her potential ceiling is higher than any other post in the country IF she picks the right coach.
I didn't ask you what she was thinking. I didn't ask you if you knew where she would go to play college basketball. I asked you if you thought she would choose UConn. A simple question that only requires your opinion.

Reaction Score
I don’t think we get both if that’s the case. They’re both listed as a Post. If we don’t get Betts we’ll be all in on Watkins and vice versa.
We have offered Betts, Watkins ,Oldcre, and Del Rosario. I would be surprised if we don't get Watkins since we have been on her since middle school and she is the local girl. Boston will be in her final year and we have no other 5 on the roster because Feagin is definitely a 4. So I would not be surprised if we take 2 post in that class.

Reaction Score
Why do you think that? She'd have 1 year overlap with Boston and their stellar 2019 class as likely title favorites. The next year she takes over as the starting center who pairs well with Feagin and has 3 years with their loaded 2021 class. I just looked her up and her birthday is in October, so she'd be eligible to declare after her junior year with the class of Rivers/Feagin. Dawn has done a great job with forwards/posts to like Wilson/Coates/MHH. I'd think SC is one of the favorites if she's wanting to get playing time and win titles.

I believe if we are able to secure one of her 5 officials then we will have a shot. There is a 5 star local girl that we have been on since she was in middle school in the same class that I am more optimistic about. I would love to get her and Betts. We will see if SC recruiting reach has extended that far out West.

Reaction Score
We have offered Betts, Watkins ,Oldcre, and Del Rosario. I would be surprised if we don't get Watkins since we have been on her since middle school and she is the local girl. Boston will be in her final year and we have no other 5 on the roster because Feagin is definitely a 4. So I would not be surprised if we take 2 post in that class.

Can you imagine how mad everyone will be if we get the top 2 posts in Watkins and Betts?? Would love both but I’ll be thrilled to get either. I feel the same with Watkins. I think we have a better shot with her than Betts. I really like Del Rosario in the 2023 class though.

Reaction Score
Can you imagine how mad everyone will be if we get the top 2 posts in Watkins and Betts?? Would love both but I’ll be thrilled to get either. I feel the same with Watkins. I think we have a better shot with her than Betts. I really like Del Rosario in the 2023 class though.

Well that is even better. I was putting Del Rosario in the 2022 class for some reason. I like her as well.

Reaction Score
I didn't ask you what she was thinking. I didn't ask you if you knew where she would go to play college basketball. I asked you if you thought she would choose UConn. A simple question that only requires your opinion.
I don't have enough information about this kid to have an opinion on whether she'll choose UConn. I don't just guess.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

As much as I like Betts, I think we take Watkins in 2022 (You don't let local players like her get away) and go HARD for Del Rosario in 2023. Making Betts' top 10 is a surprise because I didn't know there was mutual interest between the two.. but I know for a fact there's a lot of interest between SC and Del Rosario.

Reaction Score
I don't have enough information about this kid to have an opinion on whether she'll choose UConn. I don't just guess.
How about a feeling ?
Do you do feelings ?

Reaction Score
Betts is No 1. Brady is No 2 and Nnagi, 8th is listed as a F but is a post.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Anything is possible but, I would be very surprised if she chooses UConn. Betts split time at center with DeBerry on the USA u17 team.
That is very misleading. Betts was the superior player at USA basketball U16. Betts started every game and was a dominant rebounder for the tournament. DeDerry played the fewest minutes of any player on the US roster. I'd say the opposite- If Betts does not choose UCONN it will likely have nothing to do with DeBerry being there.

Reaction Score
Betts is No 1. Brady is No 2 and Nnagi, 8th is listed as a F but is a post.

Betts is listed as the #1 Post and Watkins the #2 Post per Hoopgurlz.

Reaction Score
Ashlyn Watkins is the #3 post, behind Lauren Betts and Isuneh Brady.
29570173-15BC-4E00-A359-D7EEA5CE28B3.jpeg

Reaction Score
That is very misleading. Betts was the superior player at USA basketball U16. Betts started every game and was a dominant rebounder for the tournament. DeDerry played the fewest minutes of any player on the US roster. I'd say the opposite- If Betts does not choose UCONN it will likely have nothing to do with DeBerry being there.
Betts may choose UConn, but I don't think she will. DeBerry, the #5 recruit in 2021, will have had a year's experience at UConn already. I don't see freshman Betts taking the starting position from her in Betts' first year.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that Betts doesn't have more potential. I'm not even saying that DeBerry is the better player right now. I just think that the one year experience will give DeBerry enough of a head start to win the starting position in Betts' first year, should Betts choose to go to UConn.
That's one factor, another is "Ice" Brady. "Ice" is the #2 recruit in 2022 and can also play center (even Hoopgurlz lists her as a post player).
I'll ask you the same question that I asked another Boneyarder (Who chose not to answer it).
Do you think that Betts will be playing basketball for UConn ?

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Betts may choose UConn, but I don't think she will. DeBerry, the #5 recruit in 2021, will have had a year's experience at UConn already. I don't see freshman Betts taking the starting position from her in Betts' first year.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that Betts doesn't have more potential. I'm not even saying that DeBerry is the better player right now. I just think that the one year experience will give DeBerry enough of a head start to win the starting position in Betts' first year, should Betts choose to go to UConn.
That's one factor, another is "Ice" Brady. "Ice" is the #2 recruit in 2022 and can also play center (even Hoopgurlz lists her as a post player).
I'll ask you the same question that I asked another Boneyarder (Who chose not to answer it).
I think if she were to decide today she would stay on the west coast. In 18 to 24 months she will begin to weigh relationships, academics, coaching, family issues so no one knows. Look at the sequence she recorded for teams of interest:
Arizona State Sun Devils, Stanford Cardinal, UCLA Bruins, Uconn Huskies, Notre Dame Fighting Irish, Louisville Cardinals, Baylor Bears, Oregon Ducks, South Carolina Gamecocks

It appears she is a west coast lean at this time. I would guess it can come down to Stanford and Oregon.

Reaction Score

Not on the HGlz listings in Connecticut? Brady is the clear No 2. Do they post different rankings in S Car? :rolleyes:

1​
Lauren Betts
98​
NoneP6-7Grandview H.S. (CO)
2​
Isuneh Brady
98​
UConnP6-3Cathedral Catholic H.S. (CA)

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I think if she were to decide today she would stay on the west coast. In 18 to 24 months she will begin to weigh relationships, academics, coaching, family issues so no one knows. Look at the sequence she recorded for teams of interest:
Arizona State Sun Devils, Stanford Cardinal, UCLA Bruins, Uconn Huskies, Notre Dame Fighting Irish, Louisville Cardinals, Baylor Bears, Oregon Ducks, South Carolina Gamecocks

It appears she is a west coast lean at this time. I would guess it can come down to Stanford and Oregon.
West coast lean? Five of her nine are either Midwest, South, or East.

Reaction Score

Not on the HGlz listings in Connecticut? Brady is the clear No 2. Do they post different rankings in S Car? :rolleyes:

1​
Lauren Betts
98​
NoneP6-7Grandview H.S. (CO)
2​
Isuneh Brady
98​
UConnP6-3Cathedral Catholic H.S. (CA)

I made the OP before I realized Brady was listed as a Post and @DaBball cleared it up for me yesterday.... but my original point stands in regards to Betts and Watkins....

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't know. I still think you are missing many points some from that "other poster" to which you refer. Point #1: Betts is the number 1 player in the class and a post player and is 6'7". UCONN has never not been involved with the #1 player-since I can't remember when.
Point #2 Brady and Deberry are not number 1 and both can play alongside Betts.
Point #3 it is way early. Betts just announced her top 9 and UCONN is still in it. It would be stupid for UCONN to not be involved with her at this point.
Point #4. Both DeBerry and Brady are today only VERBAL commitments to UCONN.

Reaction Score
I made the OP before I realized Brady was listed as a Post and @DaBball cleared it up for me yesterday.... but my original point stands in regards to Betts and Watkins....

I have no knowledge of Watkins or even Betts other than her height. But Nnagi plays for Bueckers' team and I have watched her for 2 years and she may be listed as a forward but she is a post, and a very good one. It seems to me that a lot of HS posts don't want to be stuck playing in the paint and list themselves as forwards to tell the world that they have other skills. Both DeBerry and Lattimore are listed as forwards.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

I have no knowledge of Watkins or even Betts other than her height. But Nnagi plays for Bueckers' team and I have watched her for 2 years and she may be listed as a forward but she is a post, and a very good one. It seems to me that a lot of HS posts don't want to be stuck playing in the paint and list themselves as forwards to tell the world that they have other skills. Both DeBerry and Lattimore are listed as forwards.
The positions these players are currently playing in HS is irrelevant because ESPN position designation are based on "college position projections". Since both DeBerry and Brady are committed to UCONN ESPN is projecting that Brady will be the post player and DeBerry will play forward. Of course Geno may have other ideas. Right now ESPN is project Maya Nnaji as a forward which is subject to change depending on where she ends going.

Reaction Score
I don't know. I still think you are missing many points some from that "other poster" to which you refer. Point #1: Betts is the number 1 player in the class and a post player and is 6'7". UCONN has never not been involved with the #1 player-since I can't remember when.
Point #2 Brady and Deberry are not number 1 and both can play alongside Betts.
Point #3 it is way early. Betts just announced her top 9 and UCONN is still in it. It would be stupid for UCONN to not be involved with her at this point.
Point #4. Both DeBerry and Brady are today only VERBAL commitments to UCONN.

Now this is novel, a logjam in the paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom