Non-UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 50 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Baylor fans were very high on her.

Her recruitment went quickly. I don't think it was very long ago she popped up on OSU's radar. She's a '22, so fairly early commitment from her.

Reaction Score
Blacklock is an elite shooter. Still working on other parts of her game. She suffered a serious knee injury earlier this month. The injury will keep her from playing her Junior season. That injury [and recent recruiting developments re Ashlon Jackson] substantially impacted her recruiting and decision to commit early to secure a spot at a preferred program.

Reaction Score
Why Blacklock chose Oregon State....

(side note - for her to help lead her team to 2 consecutive state championships as a freshman and sophomore, especially in a state with the talent pool and size of Texas, is pretty impressive)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why Blacklock chose Oregon State....

(side note - for her to help lead her team to 2 consecutive state championships as a freshman and sophomore, especially in a state with the talent pool and size of Texas, is pretty impressive)

Blacklock is a nice recruit but I wouldn’t too much stock in her high school results. She plays in TAPPS Division 4 [Texas Association of Private & Parochial Schools]. Texas doesn’t allow public and private schools to compete together. Public schools compete in UIL in 6 divisions, private schools have 2 main leagues [one being TAPPS which competes in 6 divisions]. The competition level in TAPPS Division 4 is very weak. Texas has a ton of great talent, but largely it will be found in UIL Divisions 5 and 6. There are occasional talented players in TAPPS or UIL Divisions 1-4, but not an overall talent pool.

If you want to see footage of Blacklock against good competition, find games for her Team Lex Breeze summer ball [the old West Texas Elite]. 17U Team Lex Breeze

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What recent developments?

She has made that transition from “which programs did I like growing up” to “this choice will impact the rest of my life, I have many aspects to consider”. Like most astute recruits, she is seeing education, proximity to family, fit, lifestyle, etc. in a much clearer way as she progresses in the process.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She has made that transition from “which programs did I like growing up” to “this choice will impact the rest of my life, I have many aspects to consider”. Like most astute recruits, she is seeing education, proximity to family, fit, lifestyle, etc. in a much clearer way as she progresses in the process.
Break this down for us. What does that (fit, lifestyle, and education) mean in terms of UCONN? We already knew she grew up liking UCONN. We already knew UCONN is not in proximity to family like say Baylor or Texas.

Reaction Score
Break this down for us. What does that (fit, lifestyle, and education) mean in terms of UCONN? We already knew she grew up liking UCONN. We already knew UCONN is not in proximity to family like say Baylor or Texas.
Probably minutes would be a factor. Since 2019, at the guard position, UConn has added Makurat, Muhl, Bueckers, Poffenbarger, Ducharne, and potentially Fudd, while Baylor has added Oliver, Owens, and Andrews.

Baylor provides a lot of openings at her position, while UConn is pretty stacked.

Reaction Score

Not school specific. Simply understanding that recruiting conversations have moved from “grew up liking” to a more detailed discussion of practical particulars [location, playing style, majors, family attending/seeing games, relationships with coaches/players/recruits]. Probably true of anyone who has ever picked a college.....folks fantasize about certain universities growing up but take a far more practical approach when picking which school to attend. Jackson is playing for SA Finest and Ray Caldwell & Team emphasize a very holistic [my terminology not theirs] approach to recruiting.

Reaction Score
CocoHusky....in fairness should also mention that the current recruits are all the guinea pigs in the experiment of summer teams [and their recruiting mentoring] relearning about peacefully coexisting with Texas HS coaches under the Straight Line Recruiting Initiative. STRAIGHT LINE RECRUITING | thsca

Basketball doesn’t have the degree of “bad blood” that is so common between high school coaches and Summer team coaches in soccer, softball, baseball, etc. That said, if a football or men’s basketball coach finds that they are unwelcome at a certain high school because a coach in another sport ran recruiting through a summer league coach rather than through the high school coach in that sport], stuff will hit the fan.

The THSCA is “all in” about reclaiming their role in recruiting. Recruits are caught in the middle.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Don't understand all the beating around the bush. Nothing wrong with being direct and to the point.

From Baylor message board:

On a positive note, Baylor's position with Ashlon Jackson has improved tremendously. Remember that she is a Louisiana native (lived there until 7th grade). Some coach at Baylor WBB seems to have the magic touch with key Louisiana recruits. Jackson is very tight with her Mom.....recruit the Mom. See "your baby" play all the time. Don't send her thousands of miles away where you never see one another. Play at home with elite talent. UConn has tons of guards in their 2020 & 2021 recruiting classes.

I believe there were statements from Ashlon Jackson a while back that UConn was her childhood favorite, or something on that front. I know I've seen photos of her wearing collegiate apparel from schools far from her home in Texas, like North Carolina Tar Heels. So, attending school far from home was not an issue for her.

What someone seems to be alluding to is that Ashlon has changed her priorities as they pertain to recruiting, and staying close to home might now be more important than playing basketball for her childhood favorite. Whether that is accurate, and coming directly from Ashlon or only from her club coaches is unclear.

Reaction Score
Blacklock is a nice recruit but I wouldn’t too much stock in her high school results. She plays in TAPPS Division 4 [Texas Association of Private & Parochial Schools]. Texas doesn’t allow public and private schools to compete together. Public schools compete in UIL in 6 divisions, private schools have 2 main leagues [one being TAPPS which competes in 6 divisions]. The competition level in TAPPS Division 4 is very weak. Texas has a ton of great talent, but largely it will be found in UIL Divisions 5 and 6. There are occasional talented players in TAPPS or UIL Divisions 1-4, but not an overall talent pool.

If you want to see footage of Blacklock against good competition, find games for her Team Lex Breeze summer ball [the old West Texas Elite]. 17U Team Lex Breeze
I put stock in OSU Coaches ability to recruit players that fit OSU's culture, as well, as style of play. Watching her highlight video, this kid is special (on the court). Even given the level of competition. Taylor Jones also played for a smaller school with supposedly lesser competition in the state of TX. OSU Coaches hit a home run with Taylor Jones.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
CocoHusky....in fairness should also mention that the current recruits are all the guinea pigs in the experiment of summer teams [and their recruiting mentoring] relearning about peacefully coexisting with Texas HS coaches under the Straight Line Recruiting Initiative. STRAIGHT LINE RECRUITING | thsca

Basketball doesn’t have the degree of “bad blood” that is so common between high school coaches and Summer team coaches in soccer, softball, baseball, etc. That said, if a football or men’s basketball coach finds that they are unwelcome at a certain high school because a coach in another sport ran recruiting through a summer league coach rather than through the high school coach in that sport], stuff will hit the fan.

The THSCA is “all in” about reclaiming their role in recruiting. Recruits are caught in the middle.
Thanks. I hate to sound parochial here-I am parochial (UCONN) just hate to sound that way. Texas sounds like a mess. I'm only interested in the Texas recruits that are considering UCONN. To the best of your knowledge is Ashlon Jackson still considering UCONN?

Reaction Score
I put stock in OSU Coaches ability to recruit players that fit OSU's culture, as well, as style of play. Watching her highlight video, this kid is special (on the court). Even given the level of competition. Taylor Jones also played for a smaller school with supposedly lesser competition in the state of TX. OSU Coaches hit a home run with Taylor Jones.
The parallels between Adlee Blacklock and Taylor Jones are striking in many ways. Taylor went a bit under the radar in recruiting due to a knee injury in high school and now Adlee has injured her's. In an interview, Taylor said she had already decided a year earlier she wanted to go to OSU, but just did not announce it early (but Adlee did :) ). You are right...if Adlee continues on the same path as Taylor...look out!

Reaction Score
Damiya Hagemann, ESPN #5 PG, is still out there...lists interests in six or so programs...including Michigan State (she is from Detroit)

Reaction Score
Thanks. I hate to sound parochial here-I am parochial (UCONN) just hate to sound that way. Texas sounds like a mess. I'm only interested in the Texas recruits that are considering UCONN. To the best of your knowledge is Ashlon Jackson still considering UCONN?

Actually, the changes pushed by the THSCA have had a positive impact. It has forced many of the unscrupulous “advisors” out of business and is pushing the more extremist club coaches to work with high school programs instead of undercutting them.

Not going to speak for Ashlon Jackson. But it is my impression that her coaches are all about “the process“ and starting at Square 1 for decision making. While not universal, I think that most of the players on SA Finest are very methodical about their choices and work the process slowly [Sammie Wagner being an obvious exception since she starting getting offers in 6th or 7th grade]. Both Jackson and Carleigh Wenzel seem to be in the “adding info“ rather than “reducing options” portion of the process. That leads me to believe that every team [including UConn] is an option.

A rather intense topic of debate at Summer events has been whether Covid will speed up or slow down the recruiting process for Top 2022 recruits. Even more interesting to me is how One Time Transfer changes impact recruiting. The days of roster “gaps” at Top 25 programs may be over. Parents/players demanding substantial freshman year playing time may be in for a rude awakening.

Reaction Score
Sedonia Prince will be the one of the top four players in the Pac-12 this year. (save this post to prove me wrong)

Reaction Score
Sedonia Prince will be the one of the top four players in the Pac-12 this year. (save this post to prove me wrong)
and simply predicting the performance of an existing team member is a post about recruiting because.....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom