Non-UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I love Hailey Van Lith's grit but and energy, but given her size and stature, I (a) see much more limited upside potential for her as compared to fellow 2020 PGs Bueckers or Clark; and (b) think Louisville was the worst of her final four options in terms of the likelihood she'll be pushed to grow as a player. I'd love to grab a beer with Jeff Walz any day of the week, but player pusher he is not.

That said, of her purported final four (Louisville, UCLA, Oregon, and Baylor), only one coach (Kim) is really known for really pressing heavily on player development, so it's possible Hailey Van Lith wasn't seeking the kind of coach who really pushes his players (cough cough cough). [And speaking of which, do we know if Hailey Van Lith was not interested in UConn, or UConn not interested in her, or Bueckers simply committed first?]
Hailey Van Lith was definitely my desired fall back to Paige. But when Paige committed early I think that allowed Geno to focus on more front court issues.

Reaction Score
Yes! What a monster class has been for Rutgers. I think the posts that we signed are going to prove to be a lot better than their rankings.
Didn’t I tell you? Lol

Reaction Score
Really nice class for Rutgers. I think Johnson is a little overrated, though she did have a terrific summer on the EYBL circuit.

SC obviously didn’t need a PG. Russell is listed a PG, but won’t she play mostly SG?
Yes, she'll mostly play SG and wing. Could also see her occassionally playing some at the 4 in a small lineup.

I'm fine not getting Johnson. A lot of talent in next year's class, some of which are located in NC and GA, and for the moment, they are also in the mix for Fudd. And of course there's the transfer market. I expect Dawn to at least find a GT PG to take Harris' spot.

Reaction Score
Yes, she'll mostly play SG and wing. Could also see her occassionally playing some at the 4 in a small lineup.

I'm fine not getting Johnson. A lot of talent in next year's class, some of which are located in NC and GA, and for the moment, they are also in the mix for Fudd. And of course there's the transfer market. I expect Dawn to at least find a GT PG to take Harris' spot.
Why would you need a grad transfer pg to take Harris spot when you have Cooke and Henderson who are both PG’s? Maybe one for the future but it’s not an immediate need.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Was her visit a day or days before she announced? I was lurking on twitter and saw something that sort of stated that.

She visited(OV I believe) a couple months ago, I don't know if she paid another visit before she announced though.

Reaction Score
Why would you need a grad transfer pg to take Harris spot when you have Cooke and Henderson who are both PG’s? Maybe one for the future but it’s not an immediate need.
Because Henderson and Cooke will be the starting backcourt next season. Dawn typically plays a lot of 2 pg backcourts. Sometimes there will be three PGs on the court.

Reaction Score
Really nice class for Rutgers. I think Johnson is a little overrated, though she did have a terrific summer on the EYBL circuit.

SC obviously didn’t need a PG. Russell is listed a PG, but won’t she play mostly SG?

Russell is a combo guard so my guess is she will play both for SC. She’s a very good decision maker and she can stretch the defense. I really wanted Johnson but Russell and a Grad transfer would be good for next year.

Reaction Score
Because Henderson and Cooke will be the starting backcourt next season. Dawn typically plays a lot of 2 pg backcourts. Sometimes there will be three PGs on the court.
That’s 2 lol ...Maybe a PG for the future but not a grad transfer and risk some of your other players transferring out. You also got Destiny Littleton and Beal, plus the new recruit. That’s a lot of guards

Reaction Score
I love Hailey Van Lith's grit but and energy, but given her size and stature, I (a) see much more limited upside potential for her as compared to fellow 2020 PGs Bueckers or Clark; and (b) think Louisville was the worst of her final four options in terms of the likelihood she'll be pushed to grow as a player. I'd love to grab a beer with Jeff Walz any day of the week, but player pusher he is not.

That said, of her purported final four (Louisville, UCLA, Oregon, and Baylor), only one coach (Kim) is really known for really pressing heavily on player development, so it's possible Hailey Van Lith wasn't seeking the kind of coach who really pushes his players (cough cough cough). [And speaking of which, do we know if Hailey Van Lith was not interested in UConn, or UConn not interested in her, or Bueckers simply committed first?]
Uh, I really disagree. Walz is better at player development than Graves, Mulkey and Close and I’m not a blind Walz fan. Your point about Van Lith’s limited upside is an interesting one. Her defensive foot speed isn’t the best but she likes defense and is a pit bull. Her body type is a concern. She’s already solid and strong. I wonder if she might continue to thicken up to where it effects her speed and quickness a few years from now. With her build that’s not something one can control. It happens or it doesn’t. Hopefully way overthinking.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That’s 2 lol ...Maybe a PG for the future but not a grad transfer and risk some of your other players transferring out. You also got Destiny Littleton and Beal, plus the new recruit. That’s a lot of guards
And those 2 will need their rest at times during the game. You also have to be prepared for injuries to pop up as well. Littleton and Beal are primarily 2 guards and wings, not natural ball handlers. Yes they could play spot minutes at PG if needed, but that's not an ideal situation.

Reaction Score
That’s funny. Van Lith will be the best player on the team next year.

Either

A) you don’t watch much women’s basketball at all
B) you haven’t watched Balogun, Evans, Konno, Green or Smith much at all
C) you haven’t really watched Hailey Van Lith play against top competition in the summer (school ball or USA is not the top competition)
D) you are really young and follow social media a lot and have bought into Slam magazines poster child Hailey Van Lith persona
E) all or some of the above

Hailey Van Lith will not be the best player on Louisville’s team next year. She may turn out to be a good college player (although I’m skeptical), but Louisville’s best player as a freshman. Hard to imagine

Reaction Score
Louisville’s guards/wings for 20-21:
- Dana Evans
- Seygan Robins
- Elizabeth Balogun
- Mykasa Robinson
- Norika Konno
- Lindsey Duvall
- Kianna Smith
- Nyah Green
- Ahlana Smith
- Merissah Russell
- Hailey Van Lith

I don’t think any other team in the country will have better guard depth. 3-4 deep at every position, many if which were top-30 players.
Does make one wonder where Nyah Green fits. Too early to tell but Russell is a keeper and Kianna Smith will be terrific. Will see a lot of movement between now and next year.

Reaction Score
Either

A) you don’t watch much women’s basketball at all
B) you haven’t watched Balogun, Evans, Konno, Green or Smith much at all
C) you haven’t really watched Hailey Van Lith play against top competition in the summer (school ball or USA is not the top competition)
D) you are really young and follow social media a lot and have bought into Slam magazines poster child Hailey Van Lith persona
E) all or some of the above

Hailey Van Lith will not be the best player on Louisville’s team next year. She may turn out to be a good college player (although I’m skeptical), but Louisville’s best player as a freshman. Hard to imagine
I watch a lot of WCBB. Even every Boston College game I can which is Iike watching the same game over and over.
Never heard of Slam mag.
Don’t follow twitter or Facebook though I have heard of them. Hailey Van Lith is light years skill wise ahead of Dana Evans offensively. Dana is struggling finishing. Dana finds other ways to impact games but that inability to finish off her drives keeps her from being elite. Balogun needs a ton of coaching up in her all around game. She lacks instincts though she’ll be really good in time under Walz. Konno will develop and get better though right now the games a bit too fast. Nyah Smith is overrated and has been since her freshman year at Allen High. Kianna Smith might be there best player with Van Lith if Smith is more aggressive. She has it all. Smith got lost on that Cal team last year. Gottlieb fell in love with Racee Caldwell and Caldwell didn’t come through until the end of the year. I did see Racee hit a game tieing 3 in regulation at home verse Aarion McDonald and Arizona. Very intense. Seats behind the basket. Cal won in OT. PAC 12 is fun to watch.
Also saw UConn beat Cal last year. It was fun hearing the p.a. guy say “basket by Samuelson” silencing the crowd just after Cal would be making a run to stay in it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Uh, I really disagree. Walz is better at player development than Graves, Mulkey and Close and I’m not a blind Walz fan. Your point about Van Lith’s limited upside is an interesting one. Her defensive foot speed isn’t the best but she likes defense and is a pit bull. Her body type is a concern. She’s already solid and strong. I wonder if she might continue to thicken up to where it effects her speed and quickness a few years from now. With her build that’s not something one can control. It happens or it doesn’t. Hopefully way overthinking.
Hailey Van Lith has 'thickened' herself with weightlifting to a much greater extent than most HS girls. And she already has well-developed BB skills. I worry that maybe she has just pushed herself to this point at an early age, but others will catch up and pass her when they get serious about training and skills development in college.

Reaction Score
What evidence do you have the Walz is better at player development than those three coaches?

Reaction Score
What evidence do you have the Walz is better at player development than those three coaches?
Sam Fuehring and Arica Carter were utter disasters their freshman and sophomore years. I had given up on both of them. Walz stayed with them and they worked their tails off and became terrific players. Both drafted and Arica made an opening day roster and Sam is off to a great start playing pro ball in Germany.

Shoni Schimmel- Shoni EASILY could have crashed and burned while in college under the wrong coach. Coming from a unique background that was not an easy transition, Walz kept her on track and she had a GREAT college career. Some bumps but pretty incredible overall.

Angel - Got better every year especially her last two years under Walz. Number 1 overall pick in the draft and has gone on to be a dynamic WNBA player.

Asia Durr - was hampered by a severe groin injury her freshman year and it was no easy task dealing with the disappointing frosh year for her. Walz did not red shirt her and she chose to play through it as best as possible. Her game skyrocketed and Walz helped her live up to all expectations and the #2 pick in the draft.
Antonita Slaughter. An unserious freshman who developed her game into being a Giant killer by her Jr year as part of that team that slayed Griner and Baylor. Slaughter was a 6’1 overachiever that developed into a very good player on both ends her last two years. Including her Sr season when she came back from what was thought to be a career ending medical situation.
Asia Taylor- injury riddled but kept working on her game and stayed with it and despite being the last player drafted, made the WNBA champion Lynx. Took the experience she gained with Walz and has become a bonafide star in the Australian league and never backed down from going after the WNBA now playing in 5 seasons.
Myisha Hines Allen - She came in talented but undisciplined and learned how to work. Walz got the best from her in every aspect and she matured into an impact player and difference maker for the Cards and plays for the WNBA champs Mystics with a great attitude and total belief in her ability. She has grown.
Bianca Dunham - A total project and not rated out of high school with limited experience so very raw but good athletic ability. She now is a two year starter and plays a key leadership role on the team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hailey Van Lith will be a stud in college. Hailey Van Lith will get minutes at Louisville in her freshman year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom