Non-UConn Recruiting Information | Page 151 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn Recruiting Information

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
2020 6’3” Center Isobel Anstey from Australia is also on an OV this weekend. You might remember her from the U19 championship game where she had a double double against the likes of Boston, Egbo, and Belibi. She’s very good.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Thanks DaBall.
We Irish fans and those on McGraw's Bench have been aware of Keegan and her older sister, Daly, for a number of years because they attend nearby St. Joseph's High School and Keegan played for an AAU team affiliated with Skylar Diggins-Smith. While she's had a good ranking at PN (#25, ahead of verbal commit Alli Campbell), there has never been that much mutual interest between the Irish and Keegan.

As brought up, she's had interest and offers from several D1 programs. In fact, I thought DePaul was a likely destination, But apparently, she decided to go to another religous-affiliated school located in the middle of a city -- just one that is at the DII level.

Still, I wasn't certain what was going on. However, we got some solid input from nd67 on McGraw's Bench:
"1. Her (older) sister,Daly, transferred to Rockhurst from
Mt.StMary’s (so they'll get a chance to play with one another)
2. Another teammate and friend from
SkyDiggs,AAU team, is also there.
3. Sullivan family is very Roman Catholic and academic
minded.
4. Keegan just didn’t want the D1
lifestyle and pressure."

So, it seems like this was -- to paraphrase the late, great Warren Zevon -- a decision to go "looking for the next best thing." If so, all power and best of luck to Keegan, Daly and the Sullivans.

Reaction Score
2020 6’3” Center Isobel Anstey from Australia is also on an OV this weekend. You might remember her from the U19 championship game where she had a double double against the likes of Boston, Egbo, and Belibi. She’s very good.
Is she a true post or does she play a combo of center and power forward? Where else is she considering?
Thanks.

Reaction Score
Where else is she considering?
Thanks.

She goes by Izzy on social media (twitter, instagram) so some articles will refer to her as Isobel and others as Izzy.

A quick check of who she is following on IG reveals:

Teams / Coaches
UCLA (HC Cori Close and @uclawbb).
South Carolina (@gamecockwbb)
Clemson (@clemsonwbb)
Michigan (HC Toyelle Wilson)
TCU (@tcuwbb)

From mavs.com dated 28 Sep 2018: (Chris) Anstey .... has this to say about his 17-year old daughter (Izzy). “I know that one of the schools that’s recruiting my daughter (to play basketball) is TCU. And I think she’ll probably get a visit later on in the year.

Though Anneli Maley (fellow Aussie) joined but then left TCU last year.

In addition to following numerous Aussie players and several USA U19 players (Boston, Belibi and Hailey Van Lith) she follows Nika Muhl. Perhaps they met at the NBA Academy last year?

Reaction Score
Is she a true post or does she play a combo of center and power forward? Where else is she considering?
Thanks.

In the games I’ve seen her play in she was in mostly at Center so I’m thinking that’s her primary position. Not sure of the other schools she’s considering but she does follow UCLA, TCU, and Michigan on social media.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Nice photo of Angel.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Muffet and ND coaching staff attended an open gym in Murfreesboro (Riverdale HS) and then had a home visit with Alasia Hayes. ND's Beth Morgan Cunningham (left in group picture) is now overseeing recruiting for Irish , while new assistant Michaela Mabrey (right) will also be heavily involved in that area. She'll also oversee PGs. (Tip of the hat to The Bench's MPG for this...)

Hayes and Deja Kelly have official visits scheduled to ND Sept. 27th to Sept. 29th. There are, of course, other suitors for their enrollments: Hayes has visited Michigan (credit to Raoul) and Kelly was in Minnesota this week (another tip to MPG).

Caitlin Clark and Maddy Westbeld take their OV's to South Bend Oct. 11th-13th. Will keep eyes open for where else Irish coaching staff pops up in the next few weeks.

Last edited:

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Anyone have any recruiting info on 2020 Deyona Gaston out of Pearland, TX? I thought I read somewhere that Louisville was under consideration; other than that, I've read nothing about her recruitment, visits, etc.

Reaction Score
This is a good get for coach Q. Listed as a 6'2" guard, ranked HG #11 class of 2020. Other finalists were Florida St, Louisville, Miss St, and SMU.

Very good get. Very smooth game. She is the second highly rated guard for Syracuse this year. If I remember correctly didn’t they get a couple of very good point/combo guards last year?

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Very good get. Very smooth game. She is the second highly rated guard for Syracuse this year. If I remember correctly didn’t they get a couple of very good point/combo guards last year?

Good memory. As a matter of fact, they got three of them, the highest-rated of whom was Alisha Lewis, at #35. alisha-lewis

And 2018's top recruit, forward Emily Engstler, will only be a junior.

Q had been making a splash overseas for a few years, but now there's a distinct domestic recruiting push going on for the Orange.

Reaction Score
Good memory. As a matter of fact, they got three of them, the highest-rated of whom was Alisha Lewis, at #35. alisha-lewis

And 2018's top recruit, forward Emily Engstler, will only be a junior.

Q had been making a splash overseas for a few years, but now there's a distinct domestic recruiting push going on for the Orange.
They did lose Kadiatou Sissoko, who, like Priscilla, was a 6-2 G ranked #11 in her class, to Minnesota.

I like Digna Strautmane’s game a lot as well, she is another 6-2 G/F.

A season with Mangakahia, Strautmane, Williams, and Lewis could be a very good team.

They’re gunning for the nation’s #1 class if they add Reese and Cardoso, though that appears unlikely.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I do not get why Syracuse and coach Q are so attractive. Funky 3 pt launch offense and helter skelter trap defense and playing to tiny crowds. :confused::confused::confused:

Reaction Score
I do not get why Syracuse and coach Q are so attractive. Funky 3 pt launch offense and helter skelter trap defense and playing to tiny crowds. :confused::confused::confused:
From Miss Williams herself:

Williams, a 6-foot-2 shooting guard, canceled her remaining visits after spending the weekend in Syracuse, crediting head coach Quentin Hillsman, who is entering his 14th season at the helm, with a major part of her recruitment.

"Coach Hillsman has been recruiting me for the last couple of years. I built a relationship with him," she said. "I got to know the head coach and I felt that he is the one that is deciding my playing time, my scholarship and how to play me."

Williams, who had also drawn interest from Mississippi State, Louisville, Florida State and Southern Methodist, said she hadn't spoken with Syracuse's assistant coaches until her visit."

It sounds like she was impressed that Hillsman was recruiting himself. Similar to what Bueckers said about Geno.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Savannah Samuel chooses Oregon State over West Virginia and Alabama:

Sounds like she's a bit raw but very athletic. Maybe Rueck will tweak his defensive philosophy a bit when he has Samuel and Goforth roaming around on the perimeter. Both long, lanky and athletic, he could opt for a more aggressive and pressuring style. With a ton of length waiting in the key for anyone that makes it past the first line of defense.

Reaction Score
Sounds like she's a bit raw but very athletic. Maybe Rueck will tweak his defensive philosophy a bit when he has Samuel and Goforth roaming around on the perimeter. Both long, lanky and athletic, he could opt for a more aggressive and pressuring style. With a ton of length waiting in the key for anyone that makes it past the first line of defense.
SS is not ranked, but i trust Rueck and Company. I agree, it looks like he is going for more athletic guards, even if unranked. ORST still needs a PG in 2020. If they don't get one, they MUST get one in 2021 who may or will have to start as a freshman.

UPDATE: SS is ranked 57th by ASGR, but is unranked by ESPN and unlisted by Prospects Nation.

Another announcement:

WBB Commit: Savannah Samuel commits to Rueck and Beavs

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Anyone have any recruiting info on 2020 Deyona Gaston out of Pearland, TX? I thought I read somewhere that Louisville was under consideration; other than that, I've read nothing about her recruitment, visits, etc.

You'll read that about 95% of high school players.

Reaction Score
Savannah Samuel chooses Oregon State over West Virginia and Alabama:

There seems to be a common thread to many of the past Oregon State commits, a very strong foundation in their religion/faith. This is just one other reason why I believe OSU will remain on Hailey Van Lith's list as Hailey Van Lith pares it to a final few universities.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
There seems to be a common thread to many of the past Oregon State commits

Another common theme is that they seem to pick up commits shortly after official visits fairly frequently.

Reaction Score
Another common theme is that they seem to pick up commits shortly after official visits fairly frequently.
Yes, I was at OSU this past weekend for the football game, and the weather was spectacular, and the campus in full presentation mode. I saw a few of the WBB players and knew that Savannah was visiting. The coaches know, ahead of time, that their kids will close the deal, and OSU doesn't bring kids on official visits without first knowing they are the right kids for 4-years, and, there being a very high probability of getting a commit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger