Non-Key Tweets | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We should have a poll question posted: Which idea is more bat- crazy- 1) Expanding the Rent when there is no demand 2) Going independent in Football
I guess I'm bat- crazy. Expand the stadium. Do it. It takes away another criticism people have when discussing UConn's inclusion. Rutgers and Cincy have done it (although Cincy had more demand).

Reaction Score
No timeframe, just makes the absolute most sense to lock up NYC and DC. The B1G would add a basketball power in UCONN and in UVA they get another top flight school while simultaneously destabilizing the ACC.
That would also be a win for Cinci since it would be called to back-fill UVA. Or could it be ODU?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Going Independent in football would be imposing a death penalty on ourselves. Warde is having a difficult time as it is with OOC scheduling and we are still playing under the old scheduling rules. Once it changes, we will go back to Yankee Conference schedules.

Honestly, is anyone really worried about basketball? We just won a friggin' NC as a member of the AAC. We can schedule OOC opponents at the snap of a finger. Moving from the AAC to the Big East would give us an additional $3M/yr. Sure. But it also permenantly locks out of the P5 model and an additional $15-30M/yr. And for what? So we can schedule almighty Providence, Seton Hall and DePaul types??? Ridiculous.

Reaction Score
Question: How many P5 teams would be willing to play a game against ND in November? How about away games?

Answer: Nearly all of them

Now substitute UConn for ND.

Answer: Almost none.

This is why Uconn can't go independent in FB as we'd be playing a less than AAC quality schedule.

I hear you but if we got 5 games against ACC, we would have more P5 games in a season than we do now. We could maybe score one more P5 game and back fill with AAC, MWC, BYU, Army we might have a better schedule. Of course its all a strawman because I recognize the ACC has not offered us that deal. Nothing to see here.

Reaction Score
Agreed. The inability of fans to see that $5MM a year is a bigger number than $2MM a year blows my mind.
What happens when Providence blocks us from coming back to the Big East because they want to remain New Englands team for that conference? Then what? The A-10?

Reaction Score
Question: How many P5 teams would be willing to play a game against ND in November? How about away games?

Answer: Nearly all of them

Now substitute UConn for ND.

Answer: Almost none.

This is why Uconn can't go independent in FB as we'd be playing a less than AAC quality schedule.
Exactly! I htink most people would agree that BYU at this point is considered a higher 'get' than UConn. Here's BYU's November schedule: @Middle Tenn, UNLV, Savannah State, @Cal. Ours would be lucky to be that good. Our current schedule, with UCF and Cincy in November is superior.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
We should have a poll question posted: Which idea is more bat- crazy- 1) Expanding the Rent when there is no demand 2) Going independent in Football
#2, by process of elimination, because expanding Rentschler Field is not exactly BSC.

Reaction Score
Exactly, if we don't land in a P5 league then to me I would kill fball or return to FCS, what is really the point.

I guess the question is how long do we wait for a date to the prom or that phone call??

Agreed. The inability of fans to see that $5MM a year is a bigger number than $2MM a year blows my mind.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
freescooter said:
Exactly! I htink most people would agree that BYU at this point is considered a higher 'get' than UConn. Here's BYU's November schedule: @Middle Tenn, UNLV, Savannah State, @Cal. Ours would be lucky to be that good. Our current schedule, with UCF and Cincy in November is superior.

I also think people a deluding themselves in thinking there is a future in a non-FB league if we drop FB? The AAC would be out and then where. The BE isn't taking us. It's A-10 or MAC and really what's the point then?

We can't turn back time, we are a FB playing school and need to start acting like it.

Reaction Score
I also think people a deluding themselves in thinking there is a future in a non-FB league if we drop FB? The AAC would be out and then where. The BE isn't taking us. It's A-10 or MAC and really what's the point then?

We can't turn back time, we are a FB playing school and need to start acting like it.
Just imagine where UCONN would be if it hadn't made the jump to FBS when it did. UCONN is in a much better place than it would have been. Thankfully.

Reaction Score

Right. And why pray tell would we even want to go back to the Big East? It is not the Big East of old. It is just a collection of mid-sized urban schools of varying levels of commitment.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

The BE would take us in heartbeat if we dropped FB. It makes no sense for us but they would do it in a nano second.

Reaction Score
Eventually all these non P5 conferences are going to fall off the wayside and be unable to compete. It's going to happen. I'm talking about basketball. Joining the BE doesn't save the program.

Reaction Score
The BE would take us in heartbeadropped FB. It makes no sense for us but they would do it in a nano second.
I disagree ,they don't want to compete with a state flag ship much larger in size than their model. They hated us for our co-opting of their Casa.
They would take us only if it meant their survival. See ACC takes Louisville.
Their preference is UConn dead, same as our Former ACC brethren.
They actually thought we were and have remained extremely silent since the NC.
I have no use for them or our former brethren in the ACC.
We have few options at this time .
Actually the best is to pursue the course were on in the AAC
Improve our football ,continue BB dominance,and get some of our lacking metrics up to standard. If we fail at least we went down swinging. If we succeeed we will enter a P5 conference as a competitor.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Eventually all these non P5 conferences are going to fall off the wayside and be unable to compete. It's going to happen. I'm talking about basketball. Joining the BE doesn't save the program.

But staying in the AAC does?

If UConn wants more money now, UConn should join the Big East and go football independent.

If UConn wants to protect its basketball program long-term in case the Big 10 or ACC don't invite UConn, UConn should join the Big East and go football independent.

If UConn wants to encourage the ACC and Big 10 to make a move, UConn should join the Big East and go football independent.

If UConn wants a TV partner that will support it, UConn should join the Big East and go football independent.

The only rational reason to stay in the current league is the old Big East exit fee payouts, and those will end in just a few years. Joining the Big East is so overwhelmingly obvious to anyone who thinks about the strategic implications, or can add, that my biggest concern is that UConn has already asked to join and been turned down.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
nelsonmuntz said:

If UConn wants more money now, UConn should join the Big East and go football independent.

If UConn wants to protect its basketball program long-term in case the Big 10 or ACC don't invite UConn, UConn should join the Big East and go football independent.

If UConn wants to encourage the ACC and Big 10 to make a move, UConn should join the Big East and go football independent.

If UConn wants a TV partner that will support it, UConn should join the Big East and go football independent.

The only rational reason to stay in the current league is the old Big East exit fee payouts, and those will end in just a few years. Joining the Big East is so overwhelmingly obvious to anyone who thinks about the strategic implications, or can add, that my biggest concern is that UConn has already asked to join and been turned down.

The AAC has a small chance to crack the glass ceiling so long as access to the playoffs/BCS bowl games remains viable. In truth, the profile of the programs isn't much different from the BE if you take away the names. Is UCF this year any different from Louisville on the field the year before or WV before that? No.

Consistently play and beat top teams and it can work out.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Nelson has never once gave us what in his mind would be a feasible 12 game FBS schedule as an Indy.

Central Connecticut State (home)
New Mexico State (away)
Idaho (away)
Army (away)
UMass (home)
Buffalo (away)
UNC (Meadowlands)
Kent State (home)
New Mexico State (home)
Idaho (home)
Louisiana-Monroe (away)
FIU (home)

This would be a typical schedule, with a typical home slate in bold.

Total lost revenue: 8 million
Total revenue gained from Big East Conference: -4 million for at least the next three years, then MAYBE +1 million for the two years after that

Net total loss: 12 million to 7 million

Indy....great pick!

SubbaBub

Reaction Score

The TV deal is short term, BE irrelevance is forever. Like jumping off of a raft into a bottle cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom