Non-Key Tweets | Page 719 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
They used their connections with The Catholic 7 to join The Big East, and then barely ever stepped foot on the field with any of its football members. After that conference imploded they used their brand value to leverage a generous deal out of The ACC when that group was dealing from a position of weakness. With founding member UMD already out the door, and rumors swirling that other members were looking for homes in other conferences as well, it was easy to capitalize on this uncertainty in order to land an incredibly favorable deal.

This timeline is not accurate even though part of what you suggest is. Syracuse, Pittsburgh, and Notre Dame had all announced their intentions to join the ACC before Jim Delany ever approached UMD. Only Louisville has joined after Maryland announced its departure. Jim Delany approached ACC schools after the announcement by Notre Dame because of his frustration at losing ND forever, and his concern of the vulnerability of Penn State in the future. That was confirmed by several sources.

Maryland was the only interested ACC school, and then he turned back to Rutgers who he had been advised 2 years earlier by consultants not to take. But with the PAC12 scheduling agreement having fallen apart, the BTN was looking other places to add subscribers. Rutgers offered New Jersey as well as a partner for Maryland.

The ACC needed to augment its football brand, and while not ideal the 5 Notre Dame games helped do that by showcasing ND games. ESPN paid about $28 million per year to the ACC extra because of adding those games.

Ultimately The ACC has allowed ND to use them in much the same way they did The Big East. They are a placeholder for all sports not named football. To put it another way, if ND were a girl and The ACC a guy, she would make it clear that they were just friends. The ACC thinks that eventually they can get ND out of the friend zone and into bed with the conference. That said she's been playing this game for a LONG time and is really good at getting everything she wants while giving little in return.

As for the idea of The B1G being concerned about losing Penn State to another conference, I can assure you that the threat was never real. Especially from Penn State's end.(My source is direct conversation with The AD) You had guys like Barry Alvarez and later Jim Delany using it to justify the importance of growing the conference Eastward to its Western Members. "If we don't do this now, this could happen in the future" A little fear mongering to grease the wheels of progress. The real reasons were always three fold. 1) Gain more exposure in major markets. 2)Open recruiting pipelines for East Coast Students & student athletes to attend conference schools. 3)Get The BTN top rate in areas with major cable/satellite subscriber bases. They have been successful in all three pursuits.

Reaction Score
Ultimately The ACC has allowed ND to use them in much the same way they did The Big East. They are a placeholder for all sports not named football. To put it another way, if ND were a girl and The ACC a guy, she would make it clear that they were just friends. The ACC thinks that eventually they can get ND out of the friend zone and into bed with the conference. That said she's been playing this game for a LONG time and is really good at getting everything she wants while giving little in return.

As for the idea of The B1G being concerned about losing Penn State to another conference, I can assure you that the threat was never real. Especially from Penn State's end.(My source is direct conversation with The AD) You had guys like Barry Alvarez and later Jim Delany using it to justify the importance of growing the conference Eastward to its Western Members. "If we don't do this now, this could happen in the future" A little fear mongering to grease the wheels of progress. The real reasons were always three fold. 1) Gain more exposure in major markets. 2)Open recruiting pipelines for East Coast Students & student athletes to attend conference schools. 3)Get The BTN top rate in areas with major cable/satellite subscriber bases. They have been successful in all three pursuits.
You keep saying that the ACC got used by giving ND a placeholder for sports and got nothing out of it. The ACC got 5 annual ND football games and about $28 million per year from ESPN. It is 5 football games that the ACC did not have before and $28 million that the ACC did not have before.

The other sports are fine. Everyone is satisfied. ND has given the ACC NCAA men's basketball tournament credits for each year they have played in the league and bowl revenue for 1 year when they played in the Music City Bowl. ACC didn't share when they played in the Fiesta Bowl. ND has its own contract with the CFP.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You keep saying that the ACC got used by giving ND a placeholder for sports and got nothing out of it. The ACC got 5 annual ND football games and about $28 million per year from ESPN. It is 5 football games that the ACC did not have before and $28 million that the ACC did not have before.

The other sports are fine. Everyone is satisfied. ND has given the ACC NCAA men's basketball tournament credits for each year they have played in the league and bowl revenue for 1 year when they played in the Music City Bowl. ACC didn't share when they played in the Fiesta Bowl. ND has its own contract with the CFP.
Didn't the ACC have to extend their deal to get that $28M? Serious question. I only have a vague recollection of the deal at this point and the answer isn't worth googling.

Reaction Score
Didn't the ACC have to extend their deal to get that $28M? Serious question. I only have a vague recollection of the deal at this point and the answer isn't worth googling.
No. The $28 million started in 2013 when ND joined. It has not been disclosed what the extension rates are.

CL82

Reaction Score
No. The $28 million started in 2013 when ND joined. It has not been disclosed what the extension rates are.
So you are saying that there was not any contemporaneous increase in the term of the deal? It all happen pretty fast ND joining, MD leaving, the GOR, so I may be conflating things.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So you are saying that there was not any contemporaneous increase in the term of the deal?
It was announced that there was an increase in revenue by ESPN starting in 2017, but it was never announced how much it is. But everyone has signed on until 2036-2037 including Notre Dame. There are 3 5 year contract reviews to reset everything. The next one is in 2022. And if the ACC adds 2 or more members, the contract can be renegotiated. But everything right now is working toward launch of the linear channel in 2019 and with outfitting each of the venues for HD video production.

CL82

Reaction Score
It was announced that there was an increase in revenue by ESPN starting in 2017, but it was never announced how much it is. But everyone has signed on until 2036-2037 including Notre Dame.
Isn't that based on the "ACC network" and extension of the GOR?

CL82

Reaction Score
Yeah, that's what I am hazy on. You said that the ACC got $28M from the ESPN for ND joining. I don't remember that or what the overall specifics of the deal.

ESPN is a wily bunch, there are always kickers in the deal. The 'ACC Network deal' included, IIRC, the extension of the GOR and the acquisition of lower tier rights, so it is tough to say what was the quid pro quo. That's why I'm skeptical of the 'we got $28M for ND joining' claim but I don't remember one way of the other.

Reaction Score
Yeah, that's what I am hazy on. You said that the ACC got $28M from the ESPN for ND joining. I don't remember that or what the overall specifics of the deal.

ESPN is a wily bunch, there are always kickers in the deal. The 'ACC Network deal' included, IIRC, the extension of the GOR and the acquisition of lower tier rights, so it is tough to say what was the quid pro quo. That's why I'm skeptical of the 'we got $28M for ND joining' claim but I don't remember one way of the other.

NBC is reportedly paying $15M a year, so $28 seems a bit of a stretch.

NBC extends ND football deal through 2025

Reaction Score
NBC is reportedly paying $15M a year, so $28 seems a bit of a stretch.

NBC extends ND football deal through 2025
The per school payout to ACC members increased close to $2 million per member after the 5 ND football games added and other sports. With 14 members the math isn't complicated.

That $15 million number for ND is before the latest renegotiation. That was a 2005 number as well as an estimate because they don't make public. Most of the speculation I read is saying close to $25 million. So maybe ESPN paid more for 5 games and basketball, etc.

CL82

Reaction Score
The per school payout to ACC members increased close to $2 million per member after the 5 ND football games added and other sports.
Link?

Reaction Score
Best I have is this one, but out of that $56 million for the 3 teams, everyone internally attributed the ND part to about half of it.

ACC: Record $291.7M in revenue for 2013-14

So a market changes and ESPN's willingness to keep the band together drove the price up that year. The following year there was the following text. Still looking for non-assumed ND numbers.

Maryland, which leaves the ACC for the Big Ten on July 1, will have its share withheld until its lawsuit against the league is resolved. The Terps are challenging whether they should pay the $52 million exit fee required by ACC bylaws. The ACC countersued. A mediator has been assigned to try and work out a settlement between the two.

Reaction Score
So a market changes and ESPN's willingness to keep the band together drove the price up that year. The following year there was the following text. Still looking for non-assumed ND numbers.
The next year was rather good as well. Maryland paid $31 million, and the CFP money started to kick in.
ACC reports $100 million increase in total revenue in 2015

There is no official announcement of the ND part of the contract increase. CBS speculated in 2013 for it to be over $1 million per school in this article. But 2014 results show it closer to about $2 million per school. With 14 members, you can do the math.
Notre Dame grows ACC revenue -- more than $1M per school annually

Needless to say, the ACC is getting paid well to be supposedly used by ND and provide a place holder for the non-football sports. No one is complaining.

Reaction Score
I've been trying to do the math for you with actual numbers. I was never very good a math that didn't use numbers.

Reaction Score
I've been trying to do the math for you with actual numbers. I was never very good a math that didn't use numbers.
Half of $56 million is $28 million. $2 million times 14 is $28 million. I can get to the same amount two different ways.

Reaction Score
The next year was rather good as well. Maryland paid $31 million, and the CFP money started to kick in.
ACC reports $100 million increase in total revenue in 2015

There is no official announcement of the ND part of the contract increase. CBS speculated in 2013 for it to be over $1 million per school in this article. But 2014 results show it closer to about $2 million per school. With 14 members, you can do the math.
Notre Dame grows ACC revenue -- more than $1M per school annually

Needless to say, the ACC is getting paid well to be supposedly used by ND and provide a place holder for the non-football sports. No one is complaining.

You can complain or not, but it doesn't change the fact that The ACC is being used by ND. Maybe its a little more gentle than what The Big East got, but used none the less.

The ACC gets a slight bump in pay out + 5 football games divided by 14 members vs. ND receiving a permanent home for all of their non revenue sports, valuable eastern recruiting exposure for both student athletes and students, and access to The ACC's lucrative bowl lineup.

Sure no one is complaining now, but wait until FSU, Clemson, or Miami get passed over for partial member ND come bowl time. Oh and if its for a BCS Game ND will be keeping that bowl money all for themselves. Some partner. Plain and simple y'all got worked.

Reaction Score
You can complain or not, but it doesn't change the fact that The ACC is being used by ND. Maybe its a little more gentle than what The Big East got, but used none the less.

The ACC gets a slight bump in pay out + 5 football games divided by 14 members vs. ND receiving a permanent home for all of their non revenue sports, valuable eastern recruiting exposure for both student athletes and students, and access to The ACC's lucrative bowl lineup.

Sure no one is complaining now, but wait until FSU, Clemson, or Miami get passed over for partial member ND come bowl time. Oh and if its for a BCS Game ND will be keeping that bowl money all for themselves. Some partner. Plain and simple y'all got worked.
The point is that the pay for taking such abuse compensates more than enough for any concerns.

And by the way, ND's contract with the CFP is rather small. They get only $2.58 million per year guaranteed plus a fraction of the $6 million for a playoff game and $4 million for a non-playoff NY6 game. It is nowhere near what the BCS was for ND. They go to great lengths to deprive their own coaches and players an opportunity for conference championships. It's not apparent what they gain or what they lose if they give up independence other than being able to say it's always been that way.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
O crap, we better hope WVU and Kansas don't go to the SEC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom