Non-Key Tweets | Page 571 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
On a boneyard thread? Hyperbole? I won't believe it!

It's probably pretty rare. Most of the stuff you read people actually believe.

I don't actually think getting passed over is better than joining - I was just making light of how screwed up they are.

Hopefully that helps clear things up for some.

Reaction Score
It's called hyperbole. Writers sometimes use it to make a point.
Do you really think I missed the hyperbole,? I may suck as a writer but not as a reader .I find It sometimes is best to ignore the device and to use it as a straight line . It's also a very effective method in responding to sarcastic posts. Especially of someone who is obviously angry.
My posts always have a degree of Sarcasm , but I try desperately to disguise it.

The bottom line is our situations is maybe not quite the lose - lose /H
we wanted to portray but it is more like
lose - meh/S

Reaction Score
It's probably pretty rare. Most of the stuff you read people actually believe.

I don't actually think getting passed over is better than joining - I was just making light of how screwed up they are.

Hopefully that helps clear things up for some.

In CR, one can not let perfect become the enemy of the good. We've been in the gulag for 5 god d... years and it sucks. I am amazed we have persevered as well as we have. It is a testament to our greatness as a university. Just give us a P-5 milieu in the Big 12 and watch us thrive.

Reaction Score
I think in general the Northeast doesn't care much about college football. Which is a dual thing in a sense. The actual product is terrible. College football is awful, hard to watch it's so bad.

But the tailgate and atmosphere might be the best in sports. Being in B12 and having tailgates would be phenomenal. Imagine even having a game against Texas Tech at the Rent. That would be great.

NYC DMA isn't college football friendly...I know..I live and work in it. It IS college basketball friendly. The reason it is basketball friendly..NYC has always been and always will be a basketball Mecca on the eastern seaboard. Pro sports run the show here...college football is popular by alumni bases that work and live in the DMA. I'll give you another one...take a look at Hockey East rosters and see how many kids come from the NYC DMA (there are a bunch)...yet college hockey doesn't even register here. But the Rangers and Islanders dominate the market...they even push the Devils to an after thought here. But what is know here in the NYC DMA is this...if the area it serves has a college team that belongs to a conference that has a network..you get a premium subscriber rate. I fully know that if UConn gets into the B-12 and somehow the B-12 schools end up getting Texas to move on converting the LHN to a B12N my FIOS bill is gonna go up...just like it went up when RU joined the B-1o.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think in general the Northeast doesn't care much about college football. Which is a dual thing in a sense. The actual product is terrible. College football is awful, hard to watch it's so bad.

But the tailgate and atmosphere might be the best in sports. Being in B12 and having tailgates would be phenomenal. Imagine even having a game against Texas Tech at the Rent. That would be great.

Having seen a bunch of teams that are better than Texas Tech at the Rent it's not that hard to wrap my head around.

Reaction Score
:rolleyes:
Everyone else has already given up, I'm not going bother any further as you don't seem paticularly interested in doing anything other than wheel spinning.

But hey you have a good day now.
Wouldn't be spinning wheels if you'd answer the question directly, but you have a good day too.

Reaction Score

I think the whole "northeast doesn't care about college football" thing is a catch 22. Before just recently, none of the schools in the northeast were in elite college football conferences. They weren't playing against big opponents and didn't get elite recruits.
The schools that are now in those conferences are either doing well or, I think, will do well eventually. Look at Penn State. Ignore BC because they're just generally a POS in all regards.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
I think Flug is right - and it sort of shows how broken the Big 12 is.

The right move is to add 2 - Cinci and UConn and try to build
up the league's value to survive at the next negotiation.

Instead they will probably add 4 and completely screw it up because these fools can't make what is really a simple decision. Because Kansas should have Houston in their league so Texas can build a campus near them - that's some solid decision making.

The only thing worse than being passed over by this league... is being in this league.

You almost nailed it. The only thing worse than being in this league would be to be passed over by this league.

Reaction Score
I think you are wrong here.

Unlike the Big 10 and Rutgers, the ACC should not get an in-market rate for NYC as Syracuse is not part of the NYC TV market. The actual Syracuse TV market is very small, so an ACC Network may only have a small in-market footprint in NY state. Maybe the ACC can push into adjacent TV markets like Buffalo and Albany and push for in-market rates there, but that is unclear. Obviously, all of NY would probably get an ACC Network, but mostly at the out of market rate. Delaney of the Big 10 understood media markets, which is why he grabbed Rutgers and Maryland and caught the ACC flat footed. As we all now know, Rutgers was the golden goose of conference networks.

If the ACC wanted to push for an in-market rate in NYC, or at least a higher out-of-market rate, they would probably need UConn. So, yes, UConn would be a valuable asset for an ACC Network. In fact, having UConn in the ACC might also get a higher rate in most of New England.

I believe this is an interesting time for UConn, the Big 10, and the ACC. UConn with Rutgers and Penn St would mean NYC is clearly a Big 10 market. The ACC with Syracuse, UConn, and Notre Dame would have a strong foothold in NYC. Seems logical that something should happen.

Yes I think you are on to something, take New England - if a cable suscriber can choose between ACCn (with Cuse or BCU), or B1G 10 (with RU) or Big 12 (with UConn) I got to think CT, Mass, VT, ME, and RI choose UConn and Big 12. In NYC its up in the air, but if subscribers have the choice its RU (Big 10), closely followed by UConn (Big 12) . The ACCn doesn't hold a candle.

Hmmmm.

But then again if all UConn can get at a home game is 28,000 then that's a very sad story, no matter what we think. The UVA and Navy games at least should be close to sell outs, or we really belong somewhere else..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
they say what airport?

He said out of Waterbury. I have no idea if it's legit but I saw the tweet from Flug that Herbst would be taking a trip and I got that email from my coworker and figured I'd pass it along.

Reaction Score
Great time for the former poster (think his handle was "Its for Real" or something), who seemed like a very credible source to pontificate on Big 12 expansion and UConn (or has he been let go from espn)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How connected is Greg Swaim? His latest tweets don't look good for us.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yes I think you are on to something, take New England - if a cable suscriber can choose between ACCn (with Cuse or BCU), or B1G 10 (with RU) or Big 12 (with UConn) I got to think CT, Mass, VT, ME, and RI choose UConn and Big 12. In NYC its up in the air, but if subscribers have the choice its RU (Big 10), closely followed by UConn (Big 12) . The ACCn doesn't hold a candle.

Hmmmm.

But then again if all UConn can get at a home game is 28,000 then that's a very sad story, no matter what we think. The UVA and Navy games at least should be close to sell outs, or we really belong somewhere else..

In this fantasy land that doesn't exist the ACCN with Duke, Carolina and Syracuse basketball would win in any kind of vote in NYC.

Reaction Score
Think t+2 or t+3 if the Big 12 does expand: UC and UConn don't do much in the long run. UC, UConn, UH, and BYU/Navy/Boise does make for a better conference in 4 years - no questions asked. If UT and Okahoma want to leave it still is a darn good conference.

Reaction Score
Well done. I feel like I am taking crazy pills every time I come across someone saying some nonsense about Cincinnati having such great Fortune 500 support. At the top of this list is the company that has donated the land (and continues to donate land) so that UConn can build a football stadium in the heart of the state, right off a major highway artery. But yeah, Cincinnati has 1 Fortune 500 company that apparently has a few hundred employees that went to UC.

Missing from this list? ESPN/Disney. They're the ones who are shelling out $1B to add 4 additional schools.
No. Missing from that list is GE which can go pound sand.

Reaction Score
In this fantasy land that doesn't exist the ACCN with Duke, Carolina and Syracuse basketball would win in any kind of vote in NYC.
Cuse is becoming a non-entity in NYC...LI is a different story

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Think t+2 or t+3 if the Big 12 does expand: UC and UConn don't do much in the long run. UC, UConn, UH, and BYU/Navy/Boise does make for a better conference in 4 years - no questions asked. If UT and Okahoma want to leave it still is a darn good conference.

You do realize anybody else you'd add now would be there in the future right?

You let the other schools battle over the ensuing years and skim the cream.

Reaction Score

Compared with Uconn in the B1g - I think the UConn, MSU , Indiana tOSU at the Garden would show Uconn's draw.

Yes Duke, UNC, and Cuse is somewhat strong, but a BIG 12 with UConn, Kansas , UT, and the Oklahomas' would be almost competitive 60/40 ACC. So we are an important pawn in the game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom