Non-Key Tweets | Page 991 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
All these Big 12 people with no sense thinking we should accept a Hoop only offer in that thread a morons. Stay out of the corn belt unless they offer football.
One of the issues is UConn football has no rivalries games except for UMass. The main reason is not being Division I for a very long period and Big East falling apart.

Reaction Score
Go back to the corn country message board.
I was just explaining one of the reasons why I think UConn has not been picked to move to P4. Need to start building a winning tradition. It is difficult since UConn is a great Basketball school with no traditions in football. There is no reason why UConn could not be the best team in New England. Unfortunately college football in New England is just not religiously followed like other parts of the country.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I was just explaining one of the reasons why I think UConn has not been picked to move to P4. Need to start building a winning tradition. It is difficult since UConn is a great Basketball school with no traditions in football. There is no reason why UConn could not be the best team in New England. Unfortunately college football in New England is just not religiously followed like other parts of the country.
UConn has been playing football since 1896. They've won 26 conference championships, including two in the big east which was a major conference prior to the bring raided by ACC. They have been to BCS bowl game.

Thank you for your interest in Connecticut football.

Reaction Score

Nobody cares about your opinion or reasons here.

You can’t explain anything to us. It’s like not having asthma and telling someone who has asthma what it is like.

Stop talking.

Reaction Score
UConn has been playing football since 1896. They've won 26 conference championships, including two in the big east which was a major conference prior to the bring raided by ACC. They have been to BCS bowl game.

Thank you for your interest in Connecticut football.
Again who are UConn’s football rivalries? Most of UConn history dating back to 1896 is at the FCS level. UConn has a great basketball history but you need to be realistic that UConn does not have a storied football history. In CT Yale has a storied football history prior to deciding to move down to FCS level. No matter what the P2 does I believe UConn will continue to have a great basketball programs and compete at the highest levels.

Reaction Score
Again who are UConn’s football rivalries? Most of UConn history dating back to 1896 is at the FCS level. UConn has a great basketball history but you need to be realistic that UConn does not have a storied football history. In CT Yale has a storied football history prior to deciding to move down to FCS level. No matter what the P2 does I believe UConn will continue to have a great basketball programs and compete at the highest levels.

There wasn't FCS in 1896.

You are not telling us anything we don't know already.

We lost a conference and then we uprooted the program to save basketball because the AAC was a disaster for us. When you have a center of gravity that has delivered and is still delivering then you protect that center of gravity at all costs.

These threads are over a decade old.

You should stop explaining to us things that we have talked about 600 times since 2010.

There is no earthly way short of 10s of millions of dollars that we would accept a hoop only invite to some flyover state conference.

Reaction Score

We lost a conference and then we uprooted the program to save basketball because the AAC was a disaster for us. When you have a center of gravity that has delivered and is still delivering then you protect that center of gravity at all costs.

You should stop explaining to us things that we have talked about 600 times since 2010.

There is no earthly way short of 10s of millions of dollars that we would accept a hoop only invite to some flyover state conference.
No idea what you’re talking about. Why would UConn leave Big East for another conference that would be for basketball only? That would make zero sense.

Reaction Score

In what way was the AAC a disaster for UConn? It seems to me that you guys didn't hang around the conference long enough for it to have any impact on you, one way or another. And, if it was a disaster for UConn, then why was it beneficial for the other members that moved up to P4?

Reaction Score
In what way was the AAC a disaster for UConn? It seems to me that you guys didn't hang around the conference long enough for it to have any impact on you, one way or another. And, if it was a disaster for UConn, then why was it beneficial for the other members that moved up to P4?
The AAC as a conference was an upgrade for every school except UConn (and I guess USF). The conference tanked fan engagement because no one cared at all about the other teams in the conference. We had just lost Power conference standing to be with a bunch of CUSA schools. We lost local rivalries to be a major geographic outlier. On the basketball side at least, multiple recruits said they were interested in playing in the Big East once we made the move back. Hurley was obviously a better coach, but the AAC was still handcuffing recruiting. Recruits didn't want to go to a school that was a geographic outlier in a subpar conference.

Reaction Score

It was a basketball disaster in that our opponents de energized the fanbase.

Football is 100% on UConn. That was a missed opportunity that we botched.

The Big East has been a boon for UConn for both the fans and in recruiting.

Reaction Score
The AAC as a conference was an upgrade for every school except UConn (and I guess USF). The conference tanked fan engagement because no one cared at all about the other teams in the conference. We had just lost Power conference standing to be with a bunch of CUSA schools. We lost local rivalries to be a major geographic outlier. On the basketball side at least, multiple recruits said they were interested in playing in the Big East once we made the move back. Hurley was obviously a better coach, but the AAC was still handcuffing recruiting. Recruits didn't want to go to a school that was a geographic outlier in a subpar conference.

Cincy too.

Cincy and UCF made lemonade with lemons.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

We were the northern outpost in a southern mid-major league. We had no rivals, travel for non-football was brutal, and the fanbase did not know or care about UConn's opponents. UConn got cut off from NY/NJ for basketball recruiting. It was a horror show. The program did a 180 as soon as it announced it was joining the Big East. Also, Auriemma HATED the AAC.

It would have been a lot easier to be a football independent 12 years ago than it is now, and we could have used that window to manage the football program more effectively to improve its media presence in the northeast.

At this point, I assume anyone that says the AAC was not a catastrophe for UConn athletics is just trolling.

Reaction Score
Thats a chicken or egg
College football pretty much started in New England and Ct with a then population of 1million built the biggest stadium in the world because of the interest .
Those banner carrying schools left the sport and the fans were orphaned . Connecticut has among the most passionate sports fans in the world maybe a bit too extreme at times If there was a successful big time football team in the state that myth will fall by the wayside
You need a reason to create interest . I remember a time when the experts said a professional football team won’t survive in New England.

Reaction Score
We were the northern outpost in a southern mid-major league. We had no rivals, travel for non-football was brutal, and the fanbase did not know or care about UConn's opponents. UConn got cut off from NY/NJ for basketball recruiting. It was a horror show. The program did a 180 as soon as it announced it was joining the Big East. Also, Auriemma HATED the AAC.

It would have been a lot easier to be a football independent 12 years ago than it is now, and we could have used that window to manage the football program more effectively to improve its media presence in the northeast.

At this point, I assume anyone that says the AAC was not a catastrophe for UConn athletics is just trolling.
This is what scares me if we joined the big 12

Reaction Score
Unlike the AAC, I believe there are more teams in the Big 12 that UConn fans would love to see come to Connecticut. Such as Kansas, Arizona, West Virgina, Cincinnati, Arizona State, and Houston. Were there that many in the AAC that interested the fans? I know people are going to say they don't like losing playing at MSG, but would a move say to the Big 12 hurt basketball and just help football? Just asking for a friend!

Reaction Score
Thats a chicken or egg
College football pretty much started in New England and Ct with a then population of 1million built the biggest stadium in the world because of the interest .
Those banner carrying schools left the sport and the fans were orphaned . Connecticut has among the most passionate sports fans in the world maybe a bit too extreme at times If there was a successful big time football team in the state that myth will fall by the wayside
You need a reason to create interest . I remember a time when the experts said a professional football team won’t survive in New England.

His take is UConn needs to win more. Absolutely brilliant.

Reaction Score
One of the issues is UConn football has no rivalries games except for UMass. The main reason is not being Division I for a very long period and Big East falling apart.
It has much more to do with the Ivy League “de-emphasizing “ football in the 1950s. The major public universities did not feel they could play major football when the Ivies did not. Only the 2 Catholics schools, BC and Holy Cross, tried to play at the University Division as it was then called. Though the lines were much less clear in those days. Many thought had the Yankee Conference pursued major football it had potential to be at least a MAC and likely better. UMass, UConn and New Hampshire were all considered schools with upside potential.

Reaction Score

I think we had coaching issues when we needed to be stable. Ollie was hot, then tailed off horribly. Roster was a joke. Decent recruiting but weak team construction.
Then we had Diaco and HCRE which killed football. UConn was also doing everything on the cheap.
Had Memphis and UConn pulled their weight in BB the league could have been decent.
Not saying UConn’s time in AAC was successful but suggesting the issues were AAC and not UConn is a lie.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom