Non-Key Tweets | Page 868 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
It does. The B12 will make the announcement about conference realignment when the plan is finalized. The plan won't be finalized until the PAC deal is done. Once the PAC deal is done, the B12 will know whether they can convince a PAC school to join us or not. If they can, they announce UCONN and PAC School X. If not, they weigh the pros and cons of adding UCONN and a hoops-only school or waiting to see if they can add UCONN and another P5 school at a later point. Time is on their side. They know 1) we are the primary target for our market, which they want to add, 2) we are the best hoops add to solidify their status as the premier hoops league, and 3) we are not going to the PAC, B10, ACC, or SEC.
With all due respect (and no, unlike Ricky Bobby I'm not going to follow that with an insult), you still haven't told me why if UConn adds value they wouldn't have added UConn now and filled the last slot later. What did they gain, if we add value, but not pulling the trigger on us now?

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
It might not topple the tower, but do you think any of the Pac 12 schools will stick behind in a 9 team league when they can just muscle us out of our Big 12 spot?
Because they like being in a culturally similar academically elite institution. Athletics aren't everything. In a situation where the PAC media deal is 15% less than the Big 12, most people will stick around. Colorado is the one in a unique spot, due to previous ties, football ambition, etc.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So if we're that important to the Big XII, the reason that they didn't bring us in by June 30, instead of waiting an additional year, would be what exactly? It taking us makes them more money, why would they wait to see what Colorado would do (or for any other event)?
Because they'd rather announce the full expansion plan then pick up schools in pieces?

Reaction Score
It does. The B12 will make the announcement about conference realignment when the plan is finalized. The plan won't be finalized until the PAC deal is done. Once the PAC deal is done, the B12 will know whether they can convince a PAC school to join us or not. If they can, they announce UCONN and PAC School X. If not, they weigh the pros and cons of adding UCONN and a hoops-only school or waiting to see if they can add UCONN and another P5 school at a later point. Time is on their side. They know 1) we are the primary target for our market, which they want to add, 2) we are the best hoops add to solidify their status as the premier hoops league, and 3) we are not going to the PAC, B10, ACC, or SEC.
Remember too that Yormack is reported to want a northeast/New York presence. The B12 has actually wanted that for some time. If you want that, who are your options? Rutgers. Temple, Army, Syracuse, Buffalo, UConn and maybe UMass. Rutgers isn’t leaving the B10. Syracuse can’t leave the ACC. UB, Temple and UMass are non-starters. We bring nationally relevant basketball, womens basketball and baseball programs, a football team with an upside if nothing else.

Reaction Score
Because they'd rather announce the full expansion plan then pick up schools in pieces?
People keep saying that, but why is that in the XII's interest? Let's take a different example. I've decided it will be good for my firm to hire two more litigation partners (notwithstanding that I hate litigators). One of them is immediately available and would bring value to my firm. I have a second one identified who I'm also convinced would bring value, maybe even more than the first, but he's waiting to see if his current firm gives him a big raise and keeps getting stalled when he tries to get an answer. And he keeps stalling me. I also have a backup plan if this second partner won't join me, but the backup plan wouldn't be nearly as valuable as either of the first two options, and maybe I need to do more diligence and make sure I want him.

O.K., now since I'm slow, please explain to me why the uncertainty as to whether I can get the second litigator (and what I would do if the second turns me down) would keep me from hiring the first immediately, since the first one would add value today?

Reaction Score
If we add value, why would they delay upon realizing that value? Does that make sense?
I think your take makes perfect sense. However rushing into expansion appears to have occurred several times in the past without intended results (re ACC). Yormark has been in his current role only since august of last year. It appears his approach is very different and would need time to assess the current situation and develop a plan with the member schools.

CL82

Reaction Score
People keep saying that, but why is that in the XII's interest? Let's take a different example. I've decided it will be good for my firm to hire two more litigation partners (notwithstanding that I hate litigators). One of them is immediately available and would bring value to my firm. I have a second one identified who I'm also convinced would bring value, maybe even more than the first, but he's waiting to see if his current firm gives him a big raise and keeps getting stalled when he tries to get an answer. And he keeps stalling me. I also have a backup plan if this second partner won't join me, but the backup plan wouldn't be nearly as valuable as either of the first two options, and maybe I need to do more diligence and make sure I want him.

O.K., now since I'm slow, please explain to me why the uncertainty as to whether I can get the second litigator (and what I would do if the second turns me down) would keep me from hiring the first immediately, since the first one would add value today?
So, in your mind your decision to hire two more litigators is essentially the same thing to conference realignment? If not, it's kind of a silly analogy, no?

Reaction Score
So, in your mind your decision to hire two more litigators is essentially the same thing to conference realignment? If not, it's kind of a silly analogy, no?
Expanding a business is expanding a business. Of course there are differences in any two situations, but again -- if adding a person, member, piece of equipment or anything else brings you value today, why would you not act on it today, but instead put it off until a second thing that adds value can be accomplished?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

BL,

Let's look at your employee example as if the general belief were similar to Switzerland's law on pets where the requirement is that you have to hire in pairs. Would you announce the hiring of one, putting him in position of giving notice now, to start in a few weeks while also waiting at least a month before you can expect an answer from the other candidate, not knowing when, and not being fully confident if he would end up with your firm?

There is no law on this but I imagine that it is pretty safe to say the B-12 would prefer not going through a season with an odd number of members.

I don't know where we stand right now but I don't see how anyone could use that nothing has been announced yet as proof that nothing will be announced.

Reaction Score

I’ll try.

Yormark has 12 ADs, 12 Presidents and hundreds of Trustees and donors he needs to bring along the journey. He’s presented his expansion plans to a subset of them. He’s gotten consensus agreement on that plan from that diverse audience. If the consensus plan is to move on multiple schools then he can’t just go ahead and add us. Not very transformational adding a hoops heavy school.

So if he tried to do that he’d lose all credibility since that’s not the agreed upon plan and the next time he went back to the well he’d get a whole bunch of pushback.

Reaction Score

Your first litigator starts working for you immediately. UConn wouldn't start working (playing) for the Big 12 for one (possibly football) or two years. So what value would UConn be adding immediately? Are you talking about, say, public relations value?

Reaction Score

If hiring one or two of these potential litigators would directly impact the work schedules, travel schedules and day to day functions of the entire firm, then you probably do not want to add one until you are sure it’s only one if at all possible. I think the Big XII would prefer two, with one being us, and a second being a PAC team. When they’re sure, they announce the one or two additions, not before.

Reaction Score
BL,

Let's look at your employee example as if the general belief were similar to Switzerland's law on pets where the requirement is that you have to hire in pairs. Would you announce the hiring of one, putting him in position of giving notice now, to start in a few weeks while also waiting at least a month before you can expect an answer from the other candidate, not knowing when, and not being fully confident if he would end up with your firm?

There is no law on this but I imagine that it is pretty safe to say the B-12 would prefer not going through a season with an odd number of members.

I don't know where we stand right now but I don't see how anyone could use that nothing has been announced yet as proof that nothing will be announced.
I have no idea what you are talking about with respect to Switzerland so I'll ignore it. Sorry.

Is it plausible to see why the Big XII would prefer any even number of members? Of course it is. But it has gone througha period with an odd number and, more importantly, the premise I was challenging is THAT UCONN BRINGS VALUE TO THE BIG XII TODAY. Not that UConn would bring value to the Big XII only if without adding us they are stuck on an odd number. So I go back to my original point -- if doing something adds value, you do it. You don't wait for something else that would also add value if it occurs.

Reaction Score
Your first litigator starts working for you immediately. UConn wouldn't start working (playing) for the Big 12 for one (possibly football) or two years. So what value would UConn be adding immediately? Are you talking about, say, public relations value?
I am fairly certain that, by not bringing us in by 6/30, they have to wait one entire full season before they can get us in.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Conference Realignment is not analogous to hiring two partners to a firm. The Big XII has. Game plan. Integrate its 4 new members now and then announce additions. The Pac 12 TV contract could have made it easier to pick off Colorado. But it has been delayed again. UConn is part of the Northeast expansion if you believe Yormark. For conferences and universities, it is easier to get all the ducks in a row and then make the announcement. I read a while back that Yormark said the next additions are for the 2031 contract, not the 2026 contract. If we can join early and get pro rata, better for UConn. However, to add value, we need to be a member for a few years and weave that UConn magic.

Reaction Score
I’ll try.

Yormark has 12 ADs, 12 Presidents and hundreds of Trustees and donors he needs to bring along the journey. He’s presented his expansion plans to a subset of them. He’s gotten consensus agreement on that plan from that diverse audience. If the consensus plan is to move on multiple schools then he can’t just go ahead and add us. Not very transformational adding a hoops heavy school.

So if he tried to do that he’d lose all credibility since that’s not the agreed upon plan and the next time he went back to the well he’d get a whole bunch of pushback.
And, there's this little ole issue of pleasing/getting buy in from your media partners on any and all conference additions.

CL82

Reaction Score
Expanding a business is expanding a business. Of course there are differences in any two situations, but again -- if adding a person, member, piece of equipment or anything else brings you value today, why would you not act on it today, but instead put it off until a second thing that adds value can be accomplished?
Lol, c'mon Biz. Your handle is business lawyer. You know there's a huge difference between hiring a couple of people in a private company and the addition of members to association of multiple public entities for which public relations (perception management) is a principal goal. Your analogy is the equivalent of "I go to the store to get milk and eggs, but they're all out of milk. Why should I deny myself eggs?" Not exactly applicable.

[SMH, laughing]

Reaction Score
Lol, c'mon Biz. Your handle is business lawyer. You know there's a huge difference between hiring a couple of people in a private company and the addition of members to association of multiple public entities for which public relations (perception management) is a principal goal. Your analogy is the equivalent of "I go to the store to get milk and eggs, but they're all out of milk. Why should I deny myself eggs?" Not exactly applicable.

[SMH, laughing]
That's a fair characterization. And it makes my point. So I'll say this and stop -- if we truly added value to the Big XII, and the Big XII realized that, there is no good reason they wouldn't take us. Among other things, it might make the Four Corner Schools realize that there might only be a spot for 3 of them and they didn't want to be the last one to ask.

I hope we get in. It is in the interests of the university and the athletic department. But this thought that we're worth $50M a year if we're paired with Colorado, but not otherwise, is not rational.

Reaction Score
That's a fair characterization. And it makes my point. So I'll say this and stop -- if we truly added value to the Big XII, and the Big XII realized that, there is no good reason they wouldn't take us. Among other things, it might make the Four Corner Schools realize that there might only be a spot for 3 of them and they didn't want to be the last one to ask.

I hope we get in. It is in the interests of the university and the athletic department. But this thought that we're worth $50M a year if we're paired with Colorado, but not otherwise, is not rational.
Don’t think anyone is saying that. Think it’s about making a splash and doing so in a way consistent w whatever the agreed upon plan is. Making a one off announcement about adding UConn is clearly not part of that plan which is why nothing has been announced. Doesn’t mean we don’t get in but may mean there’s a broader strategy at play

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom