Non-Key Tweets | Page 849 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
There is little to no connection between athletic conference and research funding. Faculty collaborates with anyone and everyone that will help them get more research funding. Look at all these nomad schools that improving greatly in research:

USF
Cincinnati
UAB
Houston

etc.

Those teams have been changing conference non-stop and it hasn't hurt their research funding at all.
Agreed.

Reaction Score
The Pac-12 messed up. They are a more valuable property than the Big 12 even with the time zone disadvantage on a fair playing field.
I disagree. The numbers say the Big 12 is a more valuable media property than the Pac 12. Look at the conference football and basketball championships:

Football:
Big 12: Kansas State vs TCU 9.41 million viewers
Pac 12: Utah vs USC 5.97 million viewers

Basketball:
Big 12: Kansas vs Texas Tech 2.48 million
Pac 12: Arizona vs UCLA. 1.30 million

The Big 12, with schools that are remaining in the Big 12, crushed the Pac 12 TV conference championship ratings which included their top football brand (USC) and top basketball brand (UCLA) that are leaving the Pac 12.

Reaction Score

This is why UConn needs to get into the B12. B12 gets it, and Brett Yormark is a forward thinking making genius with his plans. In order to build a true coast to coast conference, you can't not be involved in the East Coast.

B12 has some time until 2031 (next TV deal) to establish itself as the true national number 1 basketball conference, which is why they need to get UConn now to set the flag in the area. By then, B12 should be ready to pick off teams they want from the ACC once FSU and Clemson leave the conference.

Reaction Score
On the surface the research funding totals are hundreds of millions and the athletics revenues are tens of millions. But it is far more complex than that as the connection between research funding and an athletic affiliation is unclear. Personally I would be surprised if there was any connection at all. But if there is, that may be one of the dirty little secrets out there, the elephant in the room that no one talks about. I am skeptical. I suspect we are talking about institutional image.
The PAC just lost 2 of their top research institutions.

Reaction Score
You might be right, but nobody thinks of Cincinatti or Morgantown as being on the east coast.

and these teams do not capture the NYC market that Yormark covets.
Bingo. The Big12 isn't getting any east coast attention without us. That's a huge market left unserved. UCF doesn't intrigue anyone outside of alums and a few people in Orlando and Cincy is a great, midwestern program. WVU has some pull in the east, largely because they get a nice handful of students from NJ, CT, MD and PA, but it isn't an east coast school and it certainly isn't pulling in much interest in NYC, Hartford, Providence and Boston.

UConn offers the opportunity for the B12 to accomplish a few things:

1. Get on the east coast's radar in football and basketball.

2. Provide another fairly nearby partner for UCF and WVU.

3. Allow the B12 to strengthen the basketball they covet by adding a blueblood and accessing the deep pool of talent in the Northeast prep system.

4. UConn gives the B12 a similar reach in the Northeast to the ACC and B10 in one easy move, yet they get to do it with the biggest brand in the Northeast after Penn State. Rutgers, Cuse and BC aren't even close to competing with us on a national stage at this point. UConn is one Jim Mora away from dominating major sports in the Northeast.

Reaction Score
I think “forward thinking” is a clear signal that most of the PAC content will not be on linear TV.

While that may be the future, being the guinea pig is never a good thing
Being a fast follower is usually the smarter strategy compared to being the early adopter. Unless you have a high margin business based on a large installed base of your products (such as spare parts and overhaul services). Then you have the revenue stream to support the expense of early adoption as well as the necessity to defend your dominant market position.

In this case the PAC 12 has neither of those things. They are throwing a Hail Mary. If it does not work out they are done. My guess is that this is their only option.

Reaction Score
Gonna get paid in crypto as well
Gonna be interesting to see what the PAC deal is. Probably lower amount of linear than they have now/more streaming, low baseline monies, perhaps some sweeteners based on ratings, advertising dollars, subscriber numbers, relenting to Thursday and or Friday games, the streaming partner leveraging the PAC Network infrastructure, etc.

Reaction Score
I think “forward thinking” is a clear signal that most of the PAC content will not be on linear TV.

While that may be the future, being the guinea pig is never a good thing

It occurred to me that “forward thinking” may not take place in a straight line and it may require taking into account the curvature of the earth.

Reaction Score
Forward thinking is good. Most of the PAC12 probably spent the weekend doing a lot of forward thinking.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Beginning to end, this is the most useless thread I've ever seen.

As ridiculous as this thread is, there have been much, much worse in the history of the Boneyard, or even the CR board.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom