Non-Key Tweets | Page 817 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I imagine that the P-12 was a bit surprised when the USC-UCLA to the B1G was announced.

I know that the ACC was blindsided when they lost Maryland .

The B1G doesn't leak information and they've never rushed into a move.

Yes, logically, adding Oregon and Washington at some point makes a lit of sense and if I were to bet, I would bet that it will happen. I really don't see why the B1G wouldn't wait on this for quite a few years (as they have done with past expansions) asrushing gives them zero benefit.

I know that those on the outside (us included) would love answers sooner rather than later. The B1G has no need to be anxious about this. They'll take their sweet time and move when they feel it is time to move.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I imagine that the P-12 was a bit surprised when the USC-UCLA to the B1G was announced.

I know that the ACC was blindsided when they lost Maryland .

The B1G doesn't leak information and they've never rushed into a move.

Yes, logically, adding Oregon and Washington at some point makes a lit of sense and if I were to bet, I would bet that it will happen. I really don't see why the B1G wouldn't wait on this for quite a few years (as they have done with past expansions) asrushing gives them zero benefit.

I know that those on the outside (us included) would love answers sooner rather than later. The B1G has no need to be anxious about this. They'll take their sweet time and move when they feel it is time to move.
The west coast is different from the last 4 brought in. The travel distances for PSU, Nebraska, Maryland and Rutgers were not a huge deal. Sure Nebraska to Rutgers or Maryland was a hike and going to Happy Valley isn’t easy but the travel to the west coast is a different animal. To make it work, they need a couple of other schools to make it work travel wise.

Oregon and Washington still leaves room to get to 20 or 24 from the SE when they become available.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The west coast is different from the last 4 brought in. The travel distances for PSU, Nebraska, Maryland and Rutgers were not a huge deal. Sure Nebraska to Rutgers or Maryland was a hike and going to Happy Valley isn’t easy but the travel to the west coast is a different animal. To make it work, they need a couple of other schools to make it work travel wise.

Oregon and Washington still leaves room to get to 20 or 24 from the SE when they become available.
I agree and I've said from the minute USC-UCLA was announced that the B1G wasn't going to leave them on an Island indefinitely. I image that by year two or three of the two LA schools in the conference we will hear about further expansion with west coast schools.

That the GOR runs another 15 years (which will postpone eastern expansion for about a decade) aids the B1G in being patient. I still believe that they will eventually add four west coast schools (Stanford and Cal as the remaining two) but this won't happen until they see a finish line with ND (I still see this as the one piece the B1G believes they absolutely must add).

The main point of my post however was that the moron who tweets as if he has some real information is just making some semi-educated guesses and passing it off as legitimate information in a grab for attention.

Reaction Score
SW AIM SHOW@GSw aim
Aware some things are happening behind the scenes today, with the handwriting on the wall that @Kliavkoff's "Hail Mary" has fallen well short, both monetarily and for linear viewing. It's all over but the crying for a majority of the #Pac12, so let the weeping commence!!

SW AIM SHOW@GSw aim · 48m
May know more about #B1G's plans this week for the #Ducks and #UDub. Not out of the question they add #Stanford and the #CalBears also.

SW AIM SHOW@GSw aim · 41m
The other big issue with the #Pac12 and @AppleTVPlus is to recoup their investment, Apple will need a longer contract than @Kliavkoff can do because the #Ducks and #UDub don't want a longterm GOR, nor do most of the rest. #BearDown #Buffs

Reaction Score
SW AIM SHOW@GSw aim · 5h
BREAKING: All ten remaining #Pac12 school Presidents and AD's are now aware there is virtually no chance they'll get near the #Big12's $31.7 million, nor will they near the 50% linear broadcasts demanded from @Kliavkoff. In fact, it'll be MUCH closer to 100% streaming with Apple.

SW AIM SHOW@GSw aim · 2h
Talking to @ESPN and @FOXSports
personnel, asking them what additions would bring additional income to #Pac12 member schools. The reason they haven't offered many of them is that each current P12 school would lose even more money. Just waiting for the funeral now.

Reaction Score
SW AIM SHOW@GSw aim · 5h
BREAKING: All ten remaining #Pac12 school Presidents and AD's are now aware there is virtually no chance they'll get near the #Big12's $31.7 million, nor will they near the 50% linear broadcasts demanded from @Kliavkoff. In fact, it'll be MUCH closer to 100% streaming with Apple.

SW AIM SHOW@GSw aim · 2h
personnel, asking them what additions would bring additional income to #Pac12 member schools. The reason they haven't offered many of them is that each current P12 school would lose even more money. Just waiting for the funeral now.
That's the opposite of what the chancellor of the University of Colorado Boulder, Phil DiStefano said. On Friday, he said “there’s a very good possibility” the next deal will bring in per-school revenues ranking third among the Power 5 conferences, ahead of the Big 12 and Atlantic Coast conferences.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
That's the opposite of what the chancellor of the University of Colorado Boulder, Phil DiStefano said. On Friday, he said “there’s a very good possibility” the next deal will bring in per-school revenues ranking third among the Power 5 conferences, ahead of the Big 12 and Atlantic Coast conferences.

On its face, a comment by a university chancellor carries more weight than some guy living in his mom's basement.

That being said "there's a very good possibility" leaves plenty of wiggle room to explain after an event doesn't come to fruition.

Reaction Score

Normally I would agree with you 100%. But when it comes o conference realignment I think both chancellors and basement dwellers are equally non-reliable.

Reaction Score
SW AIM SHOW@GSw aim · 5h

SW AIM SHOW@GSw aim · 2h
Someone needed to be told that San Diego State and SMU didn't bring more to the table than the remaining Pac schools do? It should be readily apparent to all.

Reaction Score
Someone needed to be told that San Diego State and SMU didn't bring more to the table than the remaining Pac schools do? It should be readily apparent to all.
I just find it hard to believe there is no Pac-12 in California below Stanford in Palo Alto. Talk about market share untapped.

Reaction Score
I just find it hard to believe there is no Pac-12 in California below Stanford in Palo Alto. Talk about market share untapped.

Despite the geographical nearness, San Diego State generates no interest in greater LA. Given San Diego's penchant for participating in sports rather than being great spectators, having spent a lot of time in San Diego, San Diego doesn't care much for spectator sports generally. That's not to say SDSU doesn't have their fans, but it doesn't bring a large market with it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Despite the geographical nearness, San Diego State generates no interest in greater LA. Given San Diego's penchant for participating in sports rather than being great spectators, having spent a lot of time in San Diego, San Diego doesn't care much for spectator sports generally. That's not to say SDSU doesn't have their fans, but it doesn't bring a large market with it.
Then again, neither did Rutgers.

Reaction Score
Then again, neither did Rutgers.

The term “bring a market” is stupid because it has no set definition. The real question was how many cable boxes do you bring and how many actual eyeballs do you bring. To the extent it cared about college sports, San Diego had always been PAC however many territory and doesn’t add cable boxes (to the extent that matters any more). And without any data, so if I’m wrong and someone has data so be it, I would guess RU brings more eyeballs than SD State as well.

Reaction Score
The term “bring a market” is stupid because it has no set definition. The real question was how many cable boxes do you bring and how many actual eyeballs do you bring. To the extent it cared about college sports, San Diego had always been PAC however many territory and doesn’t add cable boxes (to the extent that matters any more). And without any data, so if I’m wrong and someone has data so be it, I would guess RU brings more eyeballs than SD State as well.
Rutgers addition made sense for The B1G when it happened, and it still does now. The conference couldn't ignore the massive Land Grant University contiguous not only to a conference member, but to the NYC TV Market. The creation of the B1G Network took it from future possibility to absolute certainty. Their AAU Status got the rubber stamp from the academic wonks in charge.

Rutgers history of athletics prior to the B1G has been mostly trash with periods of mediocrity. Other than football, which has rode the struggle bus since joining the conference, they have greatly improved from their historical performance. Sports like Lacrosse, M/W Soccer, M Basketball and a few others have been competitive. They will never be the USC of The East as Rutgers Al once predicted, but they are slowly becoming serviceable in most sports outside of football.

Rutgers alone is not going to drive viewership. However, Rutgers playing Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin etc. will. San Diego State does not have that luxury because outside of the rare event like playing in The Final Four, no one on the west coast would care to see Cal play San Diego State or Oregon play SMU. This is doubly true as a part of a streaming package.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The term “bring a market” is stupid because it has no set definition.
True, but then again, it was your phrase, not mine.
The real question was how many cable boxes do you bring and how many actual eyeballs do you bring.
In the case of the Rutgers addition, it was just the former. I agree with you at some point in the future, if not now, the latter will become important as well.
And without any data, so if I’m wrong and someone has data so be it, I would guess RU brings more eyeballs than SD State as well.
debatable.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The real question was how many cable boxes do you bring and how many actual eyeballs do you bring.

Definitely the former. The Big Ten didn't (and still doesn't) care about eyeballs actually watching their product. They care about carriage fees. New York City is a pro sports town, but there are nearly 19,000,000 pairs of eyes in the NYC Metro Area, plus another 5-6 million outside of North Jersey. The Big Ten doesn't care if they are watching BTN. So long as it is on the most popular tier, they are golden.

Reaction Score
Definitely the former. The Big Ten didn't (and still doesn't) care about eyeballs actually watching their product. They care about carriage fees. New York City is a pro sports town, but there are nearly 19,000,000 pairs of eyes in the NYC Metro Area, plus another 5-6 million outside of North Jersey. The Big Ten doesn't care if they are watching BTN. So long as it is on the most popular tier, they are golden.
But carraige fees are not unrelated to eyeballs. No cable company is paying a network good money for something none of its subscribers will watch anyway.

Reaction Score
I am not positive that the old "in market" vs "out of market" differentiation for cable boxes will extend into the future. With more streaming.

Eventually, it will be the numbers watching that count.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
But carraige fees are not unrelated to eyeballs. No cable company is paying a network good money for something none of its subscribers will watch anyway.
The relationship is just indirect enough to matter. It only takes one service with in the market, DirecTV for example, to include BTN on a popular tier for them all to follow suit. What do they care anyhow? The cost eventually gets past onto the subscriber whether they watch or not. I hardly watch any channel from 1100 to 1199 (including E-Say, N-eay, N-eay and it's competitors), but I certainly pay for them.

Reaction Score
And another element is how many alumns you activate by playing games and holding events near them so they can donate for the first time/increase their donation level; think how many B1G alums live within an hour or so of Rutgers and Maryland. That has to be a gift that'll keep on giving.

Reaction Score
That was the ESPN strategy in bundling...and why you can get the ACCN on DTV, Dish, Comcast, etc....paid whether watched or not.

Business of Sports...Jon Wilner

Note: The ACC Network is expected to have full distribution for the entirety of FY23. We have assigned a $4 million bump to each school’s distribution based, in large part, on added Comcast subscribers within the footprint. Generally speaking, each in-market cable home is worth about $1 per month to a conference network; Xfinity has a massive presence in Pennsylvania, Georgia and Florida.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And another element is how many alumns you activate by playing games and holding events near them so they can donate for the first time/increase their donation level; think how many B1G alums live within an hour or so of Rutgers and Maryland. That has to be a gift that'll keep on giving.

Exactly. Which is why USC and UCLA admins will love playing games at Rutgers and Maryland, while the casual sports fan scoffs and laughs.

Reaction Score
flying across the country might be good for usc and ucla..but it ain’t to good for the players snd coach's

Reaction Score
flying across the country might be good for usc and ucla..but it ain’t to good for the players snd coach's
You’re 100% correct. And guess what? No one cares what is good for the players and coaches. Administrators and coaches want their money, the universities want their exposure and prestige and the public just wants games on the air. Not a single person will not watch a MIchigan — USC football game because they don’t think it’s fair players have to fly that far.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom