Non-Key Tweets | Page 695 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
If we (the Big10) go to 16, I don't think you will be included. I personally think you should be, but I don't get to make those decisions. If it's 16 with Oklahoma as #15, Kansas or Texas would be #16. If it's more than 16, you will be a Big10 member, IMO.

If the B1G can pick-off OU as #15 and goes to 16, then I agree that it will be between Kansas and UConn for #16 assuming Texas has no interest at that time. OU's football value and support from Nebraska & others will outweigh its Academic rank. Kansas likely gets in over UConn as it is AAU (though UConn ranks higher academically), its basketball blueblood status (though UConn has more titles and has the women's team), and as it serves as a landbridge to OU and potentially Texas (B1G should have taken Missouri) which outweighs UConn's stronger market access to the NYC and Boston markets. If the B1G goes to 20, which I believe is the goal, Texas is #17, UConn is #18 and then the question is if ND would be attracted to a conference stretching from NYC to Houston and jump ship as #19. #20 is a question.

As for OK St, I think they have a shot at the SEC based on their deep pocked donor, and decent football and basketball pedigree and as if the ACC stays together, OK State is one of the few viable candidates to get the SEC t0 16 along with whoever is the best of the rest in Texas, maybe TCU?

Reaction Score
The very idea that the most important thing the the President of the University of Connecticut should be judged on is conference realignment is so far beyond stupid that there is nothing more to say.

Imagine if the University had 30 million per year to spend on academics rather than boosting an athletic department that is bleeding money. Sorry, but those athletic departments that got the lifeline are far more sustainable today. And, there are plenty of schools that need no subsidies. How much longer do you really think tax payers will want to fund Uconn athletics at a P5 level playing in a mid major conference? I guess the President of Houston and (former) at Cincy must be pretty dumb, because they sure seem to think conference realignment is pretty damn important for their schools finances. Only an idiot doesn't understand that money matters.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
If the B1G can pick-off OU as #15 and goes to 16, then I agree that it will be between Kansas and UConn for #16 assuming Texas has no interest at that time. OU's football value and support from Nebraska & others will outweigh its Academic rank. Kansas likely gets in over UConn as it is AAU (though UConn ranks higher academically), its basketball blueblood status (though UConn has more titles and has the women's team), and as it serves as a landbridge to OU and potentially Texas (B1G should have taken Missouri) which outweighs UConn's stronger market access to the NYC and Boston markets. If the B1G goes to 20, which I believe is the goal, Texas is #17, UConn is #18 and then the question is if ND would be attracted to a conference stretching from NYC to Houston and jump ship as #19. #20 is a question.

How the hell can we be the next in line for all these conferences yet never get in? The more I think about it the more I think we are never going to be respected regardless of all of our national championships because we have not been at the big boy table since the dawn of time.... that is the only rationale reason that schools like BC, SU, Wake Forest, NC St., Iowa St., Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, etc... are considered P5 and we are not.

Reaction Score
Tim Montemayor ‏@TheMontyShow · Sep 26
I'm told #OU & #Texas spent considerable time trying 2 find common ground this weekend on #BIGXIIExpansion nothing new but will keep talking

I am also told it remains more likely expansion does not happen #BIGXII

There is a feeling among #BIGXII Members that the process has gone on too long, mainly because #Texas and #OU can't get along

Members in favor of expansion have been pushing #Texas and #OU to find a compromise to keep the conference alive. #BIGXII

My sources in TV again confirm #BYU is "a lock" with #OU & #Texas debating #Houston V #Cincinnati ...GOR not a factor if...

...there is no expansion. I am told there is a plan in place to "jump ship" from #BIGXII involving current Texas schools, BYU and Houston.

My source said: GOR is great in theory but no one is willing to spend the time and effort to lose...impossible win in court #BIGXII

Not expanding would represent a growth cap for members in brand & revenue Tough to argue GOR when circumstances have changed significantly

Pete Thamel‏@SIPeteThamel
Sources: Oklahoma's change of heart on Big 12 expansion may change everything.

Tim Montemayor ‏@TheMontyShow · Sep 27
Tim Montemayor Retweeted Pete Thamel
Reported this last week.

Sources have told me for weeks that #OU was the biggest road block to expansion. I tweeted last week #Boren had broken off talks with Texas

#OU & #Texas were working together on a surface level but Texas broke any trust by creating a group to leave the #BIGXII if expansion failed

Anyone reporting invites were close was never in the loop because there is no agreement among membership on who to invite #BIGXII

StevO‏@StevO_1960
@TheMontyShow
Why would Texas leave and lose the LHN? Where would the "group" go?

Because their brand is worth a significant amount of revenue, much more than any #BIGXII model offers.

StevO‏@StevO_1960
@TheMontyShow
Don't see how their "brand" will create more revenue than the LHN? Is your belief that the Texas 4, BYU and UH go to the PAC12

I do not use belief I've been told there is a plan for several current #BIGXII teams + BYU & Houston to join an existing major conference

Reaction Score
OSU to the B1G with OU? Thanks but no thanks, Delaney walks on that w/o any hesitation. The B1G will not repeat the mistakes of the past (made by other conferences) which include taking two schools covering the same state, particularly in small states. No matter the politics of Oklahoma or T Boon's $, B1G has the leverage as they have the club and the club doesn't need OU that badly.

If Delaney could get Oklahoma, Kansas and Texas for sure, and all he has to do is accept Oklahoma State, he's taking that deal. Yeah the Big Ten presidents probably don't care to have Oklahoma State, but if it gets them those three schools, they'll do it. That said, I think they would try to get Oklahoma without Oklahoma State. But if it's to a point where taking both gets them all four of those, they're gonna do that IMHO.

Reaction Score
GREG S W A I M SHOW ‏@G S waim · 6h6 hours ago
The latest #Big12Expansion theory is that after interviews TV partners offered #Big12 more money not to expand. We may know on October 17th.

Rjtim‏@Raiderfan1960
@G S waim neurotic! Not sure now that BYU would be better off staying out.

GREG S W A I M SHOW ‏@G S waim · 2h2 hours ago
Agree wholeheartedly, and want my alma mater, #OKState, to get out of the #Big12 asap.

Reaction Score
I just can't see Delany taking Texas as anything other than asn an equal partner. That means no Texas power plays and no LHN.

I could see Texas becoming an "equal" partner immediately... In consideration of all that work they put into LHN, immediately being vested in BTN; no charge.

Never mind that little piece of the contract that says it all belongs in ESPN; they'll figure it out.

Reaction Score
My dream scenario if everything falls apart for the Big 12...

I don't think 4x16 works because it leaves current P5 teams and/or Notre Dame out of the mix. Ken Starr and Baylor were about to take anybody and everybody to court to stop the Big 12 from imploding last time around and getting left out of the "new" landscape. No university currently in the P5 is going to simply take getting cut out sitting down. That's why I like 4x18 - you get everybody already P5 plus ND, BYU and a few other good additions like, ahem, UConn. Each division is 9 teams, so you get 4 home, 4 away in-division and 2-3 rotating cross-division games. Yes, the divisions in the new landscape are more akin to what old school conferences used to be...you won't see your cross-division teams all that often but let's be real - in the current SEC and B1G, you already don't play cross-division teams all that often. Old school divisions are the far superior setup - this just gets back to that under a broader, money-printing conference umbrella. Each of the 4 CCG's between the 8 division winners is the playoff quarterfinals. Easy peasy. Just not sure you incorporate OOC schedule...divisions probably determined only by conference record...maybe OOC plays a part in seeding the 4 semi-finalists or something.

KU, OU and UT to the B1G to cement their western wing and UConn to put finishing touches on the eastern wing.

B1G WEST
Kansas
Illinois
Iowa
Minnesota
Nebraska
Northwestern
Oklahoma
Texas
Wisconsin

B1G EAST
Indiana
Maryland
Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Penn State
Purdue
Rutgers
UConn

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If Delaney could get Oklahoma, Kansas and Texas for sure, and all he has to do is accept Oklahoma State, he's taking that deal. Yeah the Big Ten presidents probably don't care to have Oklahoma State, but if it gets them those three schools, they'll do it. That said, I think they would try to get Oklahoma without Oklahoma State. But if it's to a point where taking both gets them all four of those, they're gonna do that IMHO.

Maybe, but he's not giving in on that point easily. I think Delaney would much prefer UConn to OSU and even ISU to OSU.
My guess is that OU's only real obligation won't be to bring OSU with them, but to find a tolerable landing spot for them. If OSU can get an SEC invite, OU is going to be free to go where they want.

That said, I don't think Texas is going to the B1G. I'd say the Pac or even ACC are more likely.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
GREG S W A I M SHOW ‏@G S · 6h6 hours ago
The latest #Big12Expansion theory is that after interviews TV partners offered #Big12 more money not to expand. We may know on October 17th.

Rjtim‏@Raiderfan1960
@G S neurotic! Not sure now that BYU would be better off staying out.

GREG S W A I M SHOW ‏@G S · 2h2 hours ago
Agree wholeheartedly, and want my alma mater, #OKState, to get out of the #Big12 asap.

The math on this doesn't work at all for the networks. There is very little incentive to pay the Big 12 not to expand.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The math on this doesn't work at all for the networks. There is very little incentive to pay the Big 12 not to expand.
Not without a GOR extension that Texas and OU would never agree to.

Reaction Score
Maybe, but he's not giving in on that point easily. I think Delaney would much prefer UConn to OSU and even ISU to OSU.
My guess is that OU's only real obligation won't be to bring OSU with them, but to find a tolerable landing spot for them. If OSU can get an SEC invite, OU is going to be free to go where they want.

That said, I don't think Texas is going to the B1G. I'd say the Pac or even ACC are more likely.

It won't be the Pac-12. It will be the Big Ten or ACC. I'd lay a lot of money on it being the Big Ten.

I definitely agree the Big Ten would prefer UConn to OSU in a vacuum, but realignment isn't in a vacuum so they'll do what they have to do to land the big prize(s). That said, I've been saying I think UConn ends up in the Big Ten for a while and I still believe that. I personally feel OSU will be given quarters in the SEC, but if Oklahoma holds firm on them joining, the Big Ten won't risk it.

Reaction Score
I definitely agree the Big Ten would prefer UConn to OSU in a vacuum, but realignment isn't in a vacuum so they'll do what they have to do to land the big prize(s). That said, I've been saying I think UConn ends up in the Big Ten for a while and I still believe that. I personally feel OSU will be given quarters in the SEC, but if Oklahoma holds firm on them joining, the Big Ten won't risk it.

They don't have to take either, though.

UConn isn't getting into the B1G unless we join the AAU or go to the football playoff, maybe both.

Reaction Score

As for OK St, I think they have a shot at the SEC based on their deep pocked donor, and decent football and basketball pedigree and as if the ACC stays together, OK State is one of the few viable candidates to get the SEC t0 16 along with whoever is the best of the rest in Texas, maybe TCU?
I think this is pie in the sky. We are always going to be the bridesmaid, always on the short list. We just can't bring enough overall value - $ talk.

Reaction Score
They don't have to take either, though.

UConn isn't getting into the B1G unless we join the AAU or go to the football playoff, maybe both.

If they have a chance to land Oklahoma, Texas and Kansas, they almost have to take one of those two if we're assuming the ACC is off-limits. I mean, unless Notre Dame wiggles loose in 2025 from the ACC, there really aren't any other options. Who else would the Big Ten take? Iowa State? Cincinnati? Texas Tech? Kansas State? I promise it won't be any of those schools. They would absolutely have to take another because they're not stopping at 17. So AAU or not, UConn would very much be in play.

Reaction Score
II mean, unless Notre Dame wiggles loose in 2025 from the ACC, there really aren't any other options.
Another season like this year and ND may be in the ACC for FB soon. They are playing just for a "bowl" now. Not a playoff bowl, not a primo New Years Day or NY Eve bowl but just a "bowl". No Orange bowl, and no Orlando bowl because with 3 losses and probably at least 1 or 2 more on the schedule, they will be at least 2 games behind the #2 and probably the #3ACC team (FSU, Ville, Clemson, UNC and VT all have very good chances to be 2 games up on ND at season end W/L). No chance to move up in the ACC standings even though they play 5 of them this year since since they don't belong to the conference.

Cue the ND posters to tell me I am wrong.

Reaction Score
If they have a chance to land Oklahoma, Texas and Kansas, they almost have to take one of those two if we're assuming the ACC is off-limits.

This is building hypotheticals on top of hypotheticals. They can stop at Oklahoma and Texas if that were to happen, and if they don't get both, then they can add Kansas (or whomever, I know they are land grant and AAU but they were like 57th in the WSJ what's your sports team worth and the largest market in the state is 65th).

Reaction Score
This is building hypotheticals on top of hypotheticals. They can stop at Oklahoma and Texas if that were to happen, and if they don't get both, then they can add Kansas (or whomever, I know they are land grant and AAU but they were like 57th in the WSJ what's your sports team worth and the largest market in the state is 65th).

KU's home market is the entire Kansas City metro area which is 33rd.

That WSJ quote is for football programs only (where we ranked 57th in football in the latest WSJ report for football based on 2015). Our basketball program ranks 2nd nationally in value at almost three times our football brand's worth and combining the two major revenue sports would see us rank much, much higher in total net value than 57th.
MO-AA124_WSD8_NS_20160331170743.jpg

I'm not saying I disagree with your premise but there is significant reason to believe (albeit not guaranteed) that the B1G will look strongly at KU should the ACC be off the table (which it seems it is). Our $1.85 billion endowment would keep us very much competitive with the figures for many of the current B1G schools as well.

I'm sure UConn would likewise receive strong consideration.

Reaction Score
Polite Kansas rebuttal

I apologize, the headline didn't say football, just "college sports" so I assumed, but you're right. The combined numbers put KU, OK St, and KSt all around the same general area of 350-400 million (and probably low 20's, high 30's combined ranking). The B1G would definitely look at KU and those schools, but there is no impetus on them to take any members past 16 with the obvious conference revenue generators (TX and OK) already acquired.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
KU's home market is the entire Kansas City metro area which is 33rd.

That WSJ quote is for football programs only (where we ranked 57th in football in the latest WSJ report for football based on 2015). Our basketball program ranks 2nd nationally in value at almost three times our football brand's worth and combining the two major revenue sports would see us rank much, much higher in total net value than 57th.
MO-AA124_WSD8_NS_20160331170743.jpg

I'm not saying I disagree with your premise but there is significant reason to believe (albeit not guaranteed) that the B1G will look strongly at KU should the ACC be off the table (which it seems it is). Our $1.85 billion endowment would keep us very much competitive with the figures for many of the current B1G schools as well.

I'm sure UConn would likewise receive strong consideration.
Receiving strong consideration is what we do.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom