Non-Key Tweets | Page 693 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
From A BYU board...OU-Texas rumors from a show host..."The Monty Show"

Monty unloads on Big12 expansion situation (BamaCoug) - CougarBoard.com

If we are not in, then I vote for B12 implosion.
Tim Montemayor @TheMontyShow
...there is no expansion. I am told there is a plan in place to "jump ship" from #BIGXII involving current Texas schools, BYU and Houston.

6:30 PM - 26 Sep 2016

Tim Montemayor @TheMontyShow
My source said: GOR is great in theory but no one is willing to spend the time and effort to lose...impossible win in court#BIGXII

6:31 PM - 26 Sep 2

So the plan presumably would be to replace UT and OU with Houston and BYU when the two leave at the end of the GOR in 2025. Frankly, that sounds rather plausible.

Reaction Score
Longhorns Announce Schedule Change for Future Football Games

>>AUSTIN - The University of Texas announced it has changed its schedule for its future matchup with the University of Central Florida at UCF's request.UT Athletics said the Longhorns game against UCF will be played Sept. 9, 2023 instead of Sept. 9, 2017. In its place, UT announced it will host San Jose State University on Sept. 9, 2017<<

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

So the plan presumably would be to replace UT and OU with Houston and BYU when the two leave at the end of the GOR in 2025. Frankly, that sounds rather plausible.

And the Big 12 would continue to have 10 teams? Good luck on your next TV contract Big XII. :D

Reaction Score
So let me get this straight, Texas, TCU, TTU, Houston, BYU will jump ship together and......do what? Form a five-team conference? Join the Pac-17?

Reaction Score

Something tells me the other 8 B12 schools wouldn't be so hunky dory about that and would start looking for new homes. UT and OU are the only two entities holding that conference together.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
And the Big 12 would continue to have 10 teams? Good luck on your next TV contract Big XII. :D

Yep, it would leave them with that footprint which is undersized compared to the other power conferences...however, no need to decide on the other new schools today. They can wait on that until 2022 or so. Of course they risk losing some of the remaining chess pieces like UConn, but I think its clear that how they wish to play it. Besides, there is always the chance UT and OU don't leave and the GOR is extended in 2025.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
So let me get this straight, Texas, TCU, TTU, Houston, BYU will jump ship together and.do what? Form a five-team conference? Join the Pac-17?
I presume all stay except for OU and UT. ISU, OKST, KS and KS st have no place to go.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yep, it would leave them with that footprint which is undersized compared to the other power conferences...however, no need to decide on the other new schools today. They can wait on that until 2022 or so. Of course they risk losing some of the remaining chess pieces like UConn, but I think its clear that how they wish to play it. Besides, there is always the chance UT and OU don't leave and the GOR is extended in 2025.

It's incredibly stupid for two reasons. One, they get a ton of money if they add schools now. Two, bringing in the schools now will cause them to appear to be normal, full fledged P5 programs when OU and UT leave and the TV deal is renegotiated. In their model, they get less money now, and less money later as those schools will be perceived as less valuable "G5".

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
It's incredibly stupid for two reasons. One, they get a ton of money if they add schools now. Two, bringing in the schools now will cause them to appear to be normal, full fledged P5 programs when OU and UT leave and the TV deal is renegotiated. In their model, they get less money now, and less money later as those schools will be perceived as less valuable "G5".

Thats not news to me. I'm just extrapolating on what seems like incredible resistance to the B12 expansion happening today and/or tomorrow. If UT wont extend the GOR and the factions cant come to terms on the 2 or 4 school expansion, then isn't preparing for a conf w/o UT and OU a logical next step for the remaining schools? So yes, it seems the 10 squabbling schools are at an impasse which will cost them dearly today and squander the chance to groom 2 or 4 schools for a better media deal in 2025.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The Little XIII becomes a G5 conference. Only Texas and OH have any football appeal outside their regional markets. The Big Ten will show interest in Kansas, primarily for Basketball, but the others (especially the remaining Lone Star State institutions) are screwed to the floorboards.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The Little XIII becomes a G5 conference. Only Texas and OH have any football appeal outside their regional markets. The Big Ten will show interest in Kansas, primarily for Basketball, but the others (especially the remaining Lone Star State institutions) are screwed to the floorboards.

I'm sure the little 8 deep down inside recognize their diminutive status. Unfortunately for them, mom and dad are fighting and neither will agree about having kids and whether their marriage should last beyond 2025. Seems like given all the connections made between the schools over the past 6 months it would be only natural to have cloud talk about who would replace mom and dad. BYU and Houston aren't going anywhere anytime soon under and ordinary circumstances, might as well whisper a thumbs up as members in waiting for 2026.

Yes, that new media deal will be a big step back. What choice do they have?

Reaction Score
Ask Pudge.

I'm not very smaht.

My partner & I just played golf with his 25 year reunion posse from Harvard Business School. Several made money selling out Cable & Media companies all over the world (and gifted 90% of their HBS class total this renunion). There's Capital available. I don't think we know what the technology is going to be. I simply don't think ESPN has locked this sport up for the next 20 years as some of you posture; I think there are some long term contracts that have been done recently (hmm ESPN) that control these conferences with assets that aren't that broadly valuable; and you have US (and Houston, UCF, USF, etc) ... making less than $2m per year.

The golf was far more enlightening on this subject than I posted.

Reaction Score
It's a SUNY, so unfortunately not you'd have to be a resident of NY.

IS this a joke>?

Nope. Syracuse University is not a SUNY. They have a small component SUNY directly adjacent to campus (SUNY Forestry); but, they are not a PUBLIC.

This has always been a key element in the discussion of Northeastern Power 5 for me. Neither Syracuse nor Boston College are Public; they are essentially zipcode fanbases with little regional appeal. That's far more true of BC than Syracuse. Syracuse has a smattering of influence in Albany & Buffalo ... and a good size in Rochester. NYC? They share with many; I would say they are top 4 and we are right near them in Branding today. Public Schools, in the long run, are far more feasible as Power 5 full fledged Programs. Football would develop over time at UConn and Buffalo. I think the "tradition" that has long been a key component in College Football is not that strong for either BC or Syracuse. Jumping in front of us as BC did was a survival motive. Apparently, they were far more prescient than our AD at that time. Of course, they are not a dismal sports product in many ways.

Buffalo? Read their MasterPlan. UBuffalo is pushing to grow significantly; they have a dynamic president; and once again, they have their future now blocked by the timing of the FBS evolution.

Reaction Score
I presume all stay except for OU and UT. ISU, OKST, KS and KS st have no place to go.
I would think a few of those might try to seek other options, including TT and OSU using political power to stick with their counterpart. A Big 12 minus UT and OU, and potentially TTU and OSU is on the fast track to Group of 6 status.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I would think a few of those might try to seek other options, including TT and OSU using political power to stick with their counterpart. A Big 12 minus UT and OU, and potentially TTU and OSU is on the fast track to Group of 6 status.

Given the financial requirements necessary to carry your own weight in the power conferences, I don't see how OSU or TTU have a snowball's chance anywhere else unless they are willing to take a permanent discount on the % share of the conference haul. OSU and TTU have relatively little media value. The cable boxes, download potential and target audience demographics for advertisers are just not there.

Reaction Score
IS this a joke>?

Nope. Syracuse University is not a SUNY. They have a small component SUNY directly adjacent to campus (SUNY Forestry); but, they are not a PUBLIC.

This has always been a key element in the discussion of Northeastern Power 5 for me. Neither Syracuse nor Boston College are Public; they are essentially zipcode fanbases with little regional appeal. That's far more true of BC than Syracuse. Syracuse has a smattering of influence in Albany & Buffalo ... and a good size in Rochester. NYC? They share with many; I would say they are top 4 and we are right near them in Branding today. Public Schools, in the long run, are far more feasible as Power 5 full fledged Programs. Football would develop over time at UConn and Buffalo. I think the "tradition" that has long been a key component in College Football is not that strong for either BC or Syracuse. Jumping in front of us as BC did was a survival motive. Apparently, they were far more prescient than our AD at that time. Of course, they are not a dismal sports product in many ways.

Buffalo? Read their MasterPlan. UBuffalo is pushing to grow significantly; they have a dynamic president; and once again, they have their future now blocked by the timing of the FBS evolution.

Yes, it was 100% a joke.

Calling Syracuse a SUNY is the fastest way to get under an Orange fans skin.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Given the financial requirements necessary to carry your own weight in the power conferences, I don't see how OSU or TTU have a snowball's chance anywhere else unless they are willing to take a permanent discount on the % share of the conference haul. OSU and TTU have relatively little media value. The cable boxes, download potential and target audience demographics for advertisers are just not there.

The only way I see OSU or TTU getting into a P5 conference is as a tag along with UT. The Big10 wants UT and if they have to take one of the littles then it may be a possibility. Do I think it will happen? No, but it's their only chance.

Reaction Score
And this is why I don't understand the people who say that a certain school will always be there, why add them now. Or that no available school is worth the money. The whole idea is that the schools that are added will improve with a stronger schedule and more money. Boren said it himself when they had the teleconference announcing expansion:

"One of the things that was interesting to me today in the consultants' presentations and a look back at the history of expansion in other conferences and what's happened to some of those schools that have joined other conferences. There's been a high level of improvement in those schools, from the time that they joined the conferences.
It strengthened their own schedule; it strengthened their own ability to compete. And competition is always very beneficial to any institution. It makes us better.
And I think what we find, is very interesting to find is that some of the schools we found that even in our own conference I suppose you'd have to say, if you're being honest, some of the schools, we had high expectations for them when they came into the conference but they've exceeded their expectations in many cases in terms of their competitiveness after they have been a member of this conference playing other members of the conference, competing with them. Competition is good for all of us, and we're looking at those schools that are not only have arrived competitively but have a huge potential to improve their competitive capabilities, too, by becoming members of our conference".

Reaction Score
Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN 9h9 hours ago
Can confirm report, via sources, by @SIPeteThamel that Oklahoma, Boren now negative on Big 12 expansion, a potential game - changer.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 9h9 hours ago
Again..what our OU Contacts said last week and we tweeted out.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 8h8 hours ago
Oklahoma will have multiple suitors...
And from EVERYTHING what we've been told from BTM the Big Ten will target Oklahoma for Expansion.

@Expansion_Crush
Yes..PAC and SEC have items which could resonate with OU leadership better than B10 advantages.
OU has multiple suitors

RedDirtSport ‏@RedDirtSport · 8h8 hours ago
Boren's pushing 76. Dudes not handing off on this to his successor regardless of the consequences

@RedDirtSport
With the exception of total B12 implosion I don't see pathway of an earlier exit ramp for OU.

Most Big 12 bloggers/writers believe OU is not a future target for B10 EXP due to not being AAU.
They will be proven wrong.
Buckle up.

Chris E. ‏@shrump1976gmail · 8h8 hours ago
@flugempire
what about OU not being AAU?

Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire
@shrump1976gmail
A hurdle...not a wall.
The biggest hurdle for OU to become member of B10 is SEC and PAC targeting Oklahoma as well.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 6h6 hours ago
@UCBearcat92 @Expansion_Crush @shrump1976gmail
Actually BTM believes biggest hurdle is OU may not want slow buy-in into BTN vs quick ECN

But there is great interest from Western B1G to add Oklahoma....HUGE.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 5h5 hours ago
Lots of B12 articles coming out in last 48 hours about how OU is now against Expansion
From OU Contacts 5 days ago:
Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire Sep 22
BTM:OU Contacts "Expect Oklahoma to vote against UC/UH package. Expect Oklahoma to walk away from any 2016 resolution."

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 23m23 minutes ago
All the sounds that you are now hearing....what do they sound like to you?
I would suggest....
Death rattle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Big 12 Conference

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN 9h9 hours ago
Can confirm report, via sources, by @SIPeteThamel that Oklahoma, Boren now negative on Big 12 expansion, a potential game - changer.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 9h9 hours ago
Again..what our OU Contacts said last week and we tweeted out.

Oklahoma will have multiple suitors...
And from EVERYTHING what we've been told from BTM the Big Ten will target Oklahoma for Expansion.

@Expansion_Crush
Yes..PAC and SEC have items which could resonate with OU leadership better than B10 advantages.
OU has multiple suitors

RedDirtSport ‏@RedDirtSport · 8h8 hours ago
Boren's pushing 76. Dudes not handing off on this to his successor regardless of the consequences

@RedDirtSport
With the exception of total B12 implosion I don't see pathway of an earlier exit ramp for OU.

Most Big 12 bloggers/writers believe OU is not a future target for B10 EXP due to not being AAU.
They will be proven wrong.
Buckle up.

Chris E. ‏@shrump1976gmail · 8h8 hours ago
@flugempire
what about OU not being AAU?

Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire
@shrump1976gmail
A hurdle...not a wall.
The biggest hurdle for OU to become member of B10 is SEC and PAC targeting Oklahoma as well.

Actually BTM believes biggest hurdle is OU may not want slow buy-in into BTN vs quick ECN

But there is great interest from Western B1G to add Oklahoma....HUGE.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 5h5 hours ago
Lots of B12 articles coming out in last 48 hours about how OU is now against Expansion
From OU Contacts 5 days ago:
Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire Sep 22
BTM:OU Contacts "Expect Oklahoma to vote against UC/UH package. Expect Oklahoma to walk away from any 2016 resolution."

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 23m23 minutes ago
All the sounds that you are now hearing....what do they sound like to you?
I would suggest....
Death rattle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Big 12 Conference
The only scenario where we are screwed is if OU goes to the B1G. We likely won't be 16; that would probably go to Kansas.
If OU goes to the Pac-12 (likely with Ok St.), we are probably headed to B1G with Kansas.
If OU goes to the SEC (likely with Ok St. or Kansas), we probably join the new Big 12.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom