Non-Key Tweets | Page 691 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 1h1 hour ago
What happened to all the talk of the Big 12 adding 4?

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 3h3 hours ago
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17612297/where-do-things-stand-big-12-expansion-talks… Article from Jake Trotter today mirrors the comments made yesterday from our OU Contacts. EXP not looking good.

John Jay Miller ‏@John_Jay_Miller 42m42 minutes ago
@flugempire You and Trotter must have same sources.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 32m32 minutes ago
@John_Jay_Miller Not drinking from same cup... ....but from same water fountain is highly probable.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
As much as I think the day to day whipsawing of momentum is all fiction, I do not think it would a bad thing for us if pure chaos were introduced to the Big 12 decision mix.

We look like plan C for the Big 12. If some refuse to vote for plan A and some refuse to vote for plan B, then either nothing happens or they throw up their hands and settle for plan C.

Reaction Score
As much as I think the day to day whipsawing of momentum is all fiction, I do not think it would a bad thing for us if pure chaos were introduced to the Big 12 decision mix.

We look like plan C for the Big 12. If some refuse to vote for plan A and some refuse to vote for plan B, then either nothing happens or they throw up their hands and settle for plan C.
Or if they blow up the whole expansion thing and the conference moves towards dissolving, that would also benefit us.

Reaction Score

The Big 12 doesn't seem to be too good at compromising and coming to mutually agreeable terms.

The problem is, the 2 most influential players in the Big 12 don't appear to care whether the conference lives or dies. Normally there'd be some incentive to get some sort of expansion done to ensure survival, which would open the door to a "Plan C". But that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Reaction Score
Which is why I been saying forever that if B12 expand without UConn, we need to take the lead and form a nationwide FB only conference with big markets to maximize the next TV deal. We can park our other sports in the BE while keeping our T3 rights. That's the best way to maximize TV dollars.

If the FB only conference can sign a deal with Twitter or Google with new user viewing experience, it can maximize TV dollars and draw in new viewers.

BE tier 3 is all owned by Fox.

Maybe Atlantic 10 instead?

Reaction Score
The Big 12 doesn't seem to be too good at compromising and coming to mutually agreeable terms.

The problem is, the 2 most influential players in the Big 12 don't appear to care whether the conference lives or dies. Normally there'd be some incentive to get some sort of expansion done to ensure survival, which would open the door to a "Plan C". But that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Oh, Texas and Oklahoma care. Texas wants to keep the XII together as long as it is owned by U Texas for the benefit of U Texas. Oklahoma wants to keep the XII together as long as the Sooners gets equal treatment as the Long Horns. And thus the problem...

Reaction Score
Oh, Texas and Oklahoma care. Texas wants to keep the XII together as long as it is owned by U Texas for the benefit of U Texas. Oklahoma wants to keep the XII together as long as the Sooners gets equal treatment as the Long Horns. And thus the problem...
Definitely agree on Texas, they have a sweetheart deal in the B12 and want to keep that. Not sure I agree on OU because while they've got a nice deal in the B12, they're still 1A to Texas and could get a similar setup and deal in a league like the B1G or SEC if the invite came.

Reaction Score
Definitely agree on Texas, they have a sweetheart deal in the B12 and want to keep that. Not sure I agree on OU because while they've got a nice deal in the B12, they're still 1A to Texas and could get a similar setup and deal in a league like the B1G or SEC if the invite came.

OU in any other league would be an equal partner. IMO Texas will either stay in the B12 or go independent. Much like ND they want to have their way. ND can stay independent for football because they are ND. Texas has the same mindset but I don't think they have the brand to go national.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
OU in any other league would be an equal partner. IMO Texas will either stay in the B12 or go independent. Much like ND they want to have their way. ND can stay independent for football because they are ND. Texas has the same mindset but I don't think they have the brand to go national.
They absolutely have the brand to go national. The question is would they want an ND-type deal with the ACC and not have control over other schools.

Reaction Score
They absolutely have the brand to go national. The question is would they want an ND-type deal with the ACC and not have control over other schools.

I don't understand how Texas can go national. I have never known a UT fan. I'm sure they have tons of fans, I just don't get it. The UT presence on the east coast seems nonexistent, whereas ND has loads of Irish fans in every city. My grandfather was an ND fan because he was a proud Irishman and for no other reason.

Reaction Score
BE tier 3 is all owned by Fox.

Maybe Atlantic 10 instead?

Atlantic 10 would be OK. The key is we need to keep our tier-3 rights. The national FB only conference should get decent dollars from the likes of Twitter, Apple TV or Google. Those are dying for content and that league would be a good fit. If Atlantic 10 is willing to let us keep tier 3 rights, then it's A10 then. They would love to take our basketball programs.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Atlantic 10 would be OK. The key is we need to keep our tier-3 rights. The national FB only conference should get decent dollars from the likes of Twitter, Apple TV or Google. Those are dying for content and that league would be a good fit. If Atlantic 10 is willing to let us keep tier 3 rights, then it's A10 then. They would love to take our basketball programs.
Puke. The A-10. Yay, we can play George Mason and UMass in b-ball, said no one ever. Nothing screams mid-major like playing in the A-10.

Reaction Score
I agree, ND and probably USC are maybe the only true national brands with Alabama, Michigan and Ohio State in the next group. ND is gradually eroding, they aren't relevant on the field against elite teams that recruit any kid, regardless of grades, background, etc. Made the BCS final a few years ago because of their stature and were embarrassed.

I don't understand how Texas can go national. I have never known a UT fan. I'm sure they have tons of fans, I just don't get it. The UT presence on the east coast seems nonexistent, whereas ND has loads of Irish fans in every city. My grandfather was an ND fan because he was a proud Irishman and for no other reason.

Reaction Score
I agree, ND and probably USC are maybe the only true national brands with Alabama, Michigan and Ohio State in the next group. ND is gradually eroding, they aren't relevant on the field against elite teams that recruit any kid, regardless of grades, background, etc. Made the BCS final a few years ago because of their stature and were embarrassed.
agreed with everything you said and would even go a step further to say USC is now in the second group and will fall even further if they continue to hire AD's just because they're former Trojan stars.

Reaction Score
Just a random thought.

i do not think the majority of ACC fans in fb would be pleased with UL winning the conference. Play it forward, a UL champ in the playoffs, compared with Clemson, FSU, VT, or UNC will mean nothing.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

You can tell Apple TV, Google and Twitter are dying for mediocre college football games - based on the fact they have never bid on them and have no way to actually produce a telecast.

Saying Apple TV is looking for college football games to televise is like saying Roku is - that doesn't even make sense if you actually know what Apple TV is.

Reaction Score

Yeah no. There is only one program in America that has the brand to be national and that's ND. Texas is not ND. I don't care how much of a dumb a** investment ESPN made in their school, nobody outside of the state of Texas cares about the program. I live in the Northeast and have traveled all over America for work. I have never met an alum or even a fan of Texas outside of that state. Their profile has been greatly exaggerated because of ESPN's attempt to exploit Texas Cable subscribers.

If they want ridiculous money they can go to The B1G. If they want to maintain control they should stay in the new SWC. The rest of the conferences have too many obstacles to overcome either with geography, academics, or cultural fit. In the end I think they stay put regardless of if anyone else someday leaves.

Reaction Score
UT may not have the national brand now but they do have the platform via ESPN to become one if that is what they decide. They won't have a problem finding schools to play & their fan base travels well so putting together a national schedule won't be a problem

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

If we can't get 'decent dollars' from ESPN, and we can't, how are we going to get it from people who aren't actually in the business of producing and distributing sports content?

Fox Sports 1 can't get people to look three channels north of ESPN to find a game and yet we're going to convince people to use three remotes, their cell phone and a little black box in order to see our games?

There's no pot of gold for us in streaming. There's just not.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
If we can't get 'decent dollars' from ESPN, and we can't, how are we going to get it from people who aren't actually in the business of producing and distributing sports content?

Fox Sports 1 can't get people to look three channels north of ESPN to find a game and yet we're going to convince people to use three remotes, their cell phone and a little black box in order to see our games?

Ask Pudge.

Reaction Score

I thought that streaming could have a very good affect on CR for UConn, eventually, if we make it that far down the road to where the masses are streaming and GOR's are ending. It should create a la carte viewership. Would this not essentially impede conferences from taking schools like Rutgers for carriage fees of cable boxes? If viewers in NJ have to a choose and pay rather than the BTN being added to every box, who will to pay to watch Rutgers continually loose? Apply that same rule to 20 other programs. People will pay to watch winners or at least colleges that try to win - looking at you BC. Am I off on this?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Do you realize how old this post makes you sound?

Reaction Score
UT may not have the national brand now but they do have the platform via ESPN to become one if that is what they decide. They won't have a problem finding schools to play & their fan base travels well so putting together a national schedule won't be a problem

Sure if they don't mind playing New Mexico State and Army when every other school of note is playing conference games. Independence worked when there were lots of them out there. Now? Even ND has to schedule a few clunkers just to fill their schedule. God forbid OU tells them to pound sand and goes to The SEC and starts regularly playing A&M and Arkansas, you know Texas's actual rivals, while the Horns are playing New Mexico State, Army, and UTSA in November.

Reaction Score

Any school that has content people want to watch will make "gold" in streaming. You are drastically underestimating how TV is going to change which is strange because its' been going on for a couple of years now. Schools like UConn, ISU, etc who have real fans who want to watch games will always be valuable even without a big football resume.

Your statement reads like "There's no way people will buy water in plastic bottles" "No way they will use a phone instead of a camera, computer, and GPS", "No way people will share cars", etc...

Millennials are a whole different breed and they are going to be running the show here shortly.

Reaction Score

Well if it's P5 or bust, the clock is winding down.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom