Non-Key Tweets | Page 630 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
One of the reasons for expansion was supposedly because WV was on an island. There are no other teams in the league anywhere close. So why would the B12 remedy that by inviting another island in BYU? That doesn't make sense. Then again, who ever claimed the B12 ever made logical decisions? (Note - I am not advocating that they take BYU and CSU, before anybody accuses me of that!?)
The trouble is the Big 12 can justify the selection based on whatever suits the narrative they choose. If it is best football available based upon history, they can say BYU. If it is a travel partner for WV with "solid" football, they can justify an invite to Cinn. If it is net value, academics (they pay lip service to this one) and best for a network, Uconn is easy to justify. I guess Houston can be justified by FB potential?

Unfortunately, the decision will probably be the product of political back room horsetrading as opposed to really looking what is best for the league as a whole. Have there ever been any decisions in the past that would give one confidence that a rational decision will be made in this case?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If the ACC GOR is a thing and the B12 GOR is a thing, then I don't see how there will be movement outside what the XII is contemplating. The B1G isn't adding us by ourselves and if the ACC did break apart we'd likely be pushed down the list.

On the ACC side, unless the ACC Network gets off the ground in 2019 and was designed with adding us in mind, then why would they add us. ND isn't joining. If the ACC were thinking of adding Cincy, you know they would not be able to keep quiet about it.

Reaction Score
That's kind of my point. I'm asking what is happening next year? I don't know of anything in particular however, there may be something happening in regard to adding us to the ACC or Big Ten. We are not privy to either of those new agreements and what they contain at this point.

Reaction Score
One thing that sticks with me in all of this is a comment Benedict made in June. When B12 expansion cooled off, he said that the B12 had slowed down on the idea but that it wasn't over with in his opinion. Then he said something to the effect of "even if the B12 doesn't expand, more movement will be happening next year". He had a somewhat sly look on his face when offering that up. Meanwhile, we start hiring people like crazy. What is happening next year? I think therein may be the answer as to why we are very quiet and yet moving at warp speed to improve everything in the athletic department.

I also remember when benedict said that (I believe in an interview with NBC) however he made that statement before the announcement of the ACC Network and extension of ACC GOR. At the time it look like the ACC was very vulnerable and that his statement was likely a reference to the ACC being raided by BIG which would have meant we would receive an invite to the ACC next year if the Big12 didn't work out this year.

At the end of the day though I have confidence in the Athletic Department as well as Herbst. I feel we are doing everything we should be doing to put ourselves in the best position possible if any conference realignment were to occur whether its Big12, ACC, or BIG.

Reaction Score
One of the reasons for expansion was supposedly because WV was on an island. There are no other teams in the league anywhere close. So why would the B12 remedy that by inviting another island in BYU? That doesn't make sense. Then again, who ever claimed the B12 ever made logical decisions? (Note - I am not advocating that they take BYU and CSU, before anybody accuses me of that!?)
I'm sure WVU is more concerned about getting this right than having a local travel partner. As far as expansion, I don't think it matters if it's two, four or zero. I think WVU would be more concerned about conference stability than adding UC. Now if it's determined that UC provides this then great. If not then move on.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Or Louisville.

With Louisville the "stray" bullet is likely fired by the hooker he just left with instructions to bill the Louisville AD.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I think BYU only makes sense in a 4 team scenario OR a 2 team scenario that does not include Cinci/UConn or anyone else out east. The furthest "east" school that can be added with BYU in a 2 school scenario is Houston. If they add Cinci and BYU, they would then have a western island similar to the WVU island they have now.

UConn's only 2 team scenario hope is that Cinci is the other school and that all of this talk about Houston is just political pandering so that opponents can't use any words against them come election season.

UConn and BYU are the two biggest brands by far. One of us has to be added to bring value for the networks. I highly doubt that either ESPN or FOX would be too keen on the idea of paying $30M/yr to a school that doesn't even bring its own (average sized) market.

Reaction Score
One thing that sticks with me in all of this is a comment Benedict made in June. When B12 expansion cooled off, he said that the B12 had slowed down on the idea but that it wasn't over with in his opinion. Then he said something to the effect of "even if the B12 doesn't expand, more movement will be happening next year". He had a somewhat sly look on his face when offering that up. Meanwhile, we start hiring people like crazy. What is happening next year? I think therein may be the answer as to why we are very quiet and yet moving at warp speed to improve everything in the athletic department.

This. It will indeed be a kick in the d*ck if the Big12 expands without us. Especially if they further decimate our wreck of a conference. It will hurt. Bad. I will still be standing proud as a UConn fan, though. Because I love my team. And because I believe we hold a long-term promise of a better (BIGger?) landing spot. I see actions and words from our leadership that hint at this. Maybe I'm just desperate for a light at the end of the tunnel, but this belief keeps me standing.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The kick will be worse than Louisville to the ACC, which was worse than Pitt to the ACC. That said, it will vary in intensity depending on who goes.

Best case: Houston and BYU
Next best: Cinci and BYU
Very bad: Cinci and Houston
Horrific: Cinci, Houston, BYU and UCF
The burning fires of hell: Cinci, Houston, BYU and Memphis.

Losing to Memphis is just unimaginable. It's like being an accomplished professional with 20 years of experience, and advanced degrees from Ivy league schools and being passed over for a promotion by the janitor who doesn't even speak English.

Reaction Score
I also remember when benedict said that (I believe in an interview with NBC) however he made that statement before the announcement of the ACC Network and extension of ACC GOR. At the time it look like the ACC was very vulnerable and that his statement was likely a reference to the ACC being raided by BIG which would have meant we would receive an invite to the ACC next year if the Big12 didn't work out this year.

What are you talking about? The ACC was not in danger of being poached by the B1G in the next year before they signed their extension.

pj

Reaction Score

At the end of the day though I have confidence in the Athletic Department as well as Herbst. I feel we are doing everything we should be doing to put ourselves in the best position possible if any conference realignment were to occur whether its Big12, ACC, or BIG.

B12 expansion cooled off because UConn slowed down negotiations and started talking to other suitors, namely the ACC. If they couldn't get UConn, B12 had to reconsider whether expansion made sense. Also at this time we started seeing more leaks to media that didn't list UConn as a top B12 target. If you can't get something, you claim you don't want it.

Based on Benedict's comments, the ACC timetable to add UConn & Notre Dame is next year.

The timing of the public announcement of the ACC Network is no indication here. It was in the works for a long time and UConn would be a central piece to that network. UConn would have been in discussions with the ACC well before that.

Don't be alarmed if B12 goes for a Cincy/Houston or Cincy/BYU arrangement. Texas pimping for Houston is more plausible when the alternative is BYU. Going to 14 is problematic for them without UConn, who is the 4th after Cincy/BYU/Houston? Memphis would make everybody gag. UCF and USF would alienate ESPN. CSU has a minimal fan base. Maybe Navy as football only?

Reaction Score
The kick will be worse than Louisville to the ACC, which was worse than Pitt to the ACC. That said, it will vary in intensity depending on who goes.

Best case: Houston and BYU
Next best: Cinci and BYU
Very bad: Cinci and Houston
Horrific: Cinci, Houston, BYU and UCF
The burning fires of hell: Cinci, Houston, BYU and Memphis.

Losing to Memphis is just unimaginable. It's like being an accomplished professional with 20 years of experience, and advanced degrees from Ivy league schools and being passed over for a promotion by the janitor who doesn't even speak English.

Wouldn't Cincy/Houston/Memphis/UCF be the absolute worst case?

Reaction Score
Anything not including UConn is the worst case at this point.

But they're not all equally horrible. If B12 went like BYU/CSU (crazy I know) the American would at least be in tact and we'd at least have some of our better football opponents (Cincy, Houston, etc.). Losing Cincy/Houston/Memphis would be absolutely devastating to the American and UConn specifically.

Reaction Score
B12 expansion cooled off because UConn slowed down negotiations and started talking to other suitors, namely the ACC. If they couldn't get UConn, B12 had to reconsider whether expansion made sense. Also at this time we started seeing more leaks to media that didn't list UConn as a top B12 target. If you can't get something, you claim you don't want it.

Based on Benedict's comments, the ACC timetable to add UConn & Notre Dame is next year.

The timing of the public announcement of the ACC Network is no indication here. It was in the works for a long time and UConn would be a central piece to that network. UConn would have been in discussions with the ACC well before that.

Don't be alarmed if B12 goes for a Cincy/Houston or Cincy/BYU arrangement. Texas pimping for Houston is more plausible when the alternative is BYU. Going to 14 is problematic for them without UConn, who is the 4th after Cincy/BYU/Houston? Memphis would make everybody gag. UCF and USF would alienate ESPN. CSU has a minimal fan base. Maybe Navy as football only?

Where can I get some of what you're on right now?

Reaction Score

This all sounds plausible, but where are you getting it? What are you basing these assumptions on? Anything concrete? A hunch based on your read of public comments? Hallucinogens?

Reaction Score

No thank you, I will elect to be alarmed in that scenario.

Reaction Score

Those are some rose colored glasses. If we are not chosen for Big12, it is a terrible outcome. Every decision made should make it obvious that the ACC does not want us

Reaction Score

I've been wondering whatever happened to Baghdad Bob....

Reaction Score
J1qBMjJ.jpg

I'm pretty sure we can use hollowed-out coconuts for basketballs, if that helps.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

If this is true, then the ACC and UConn would have no reason not to announce it when the Big 12 makes its announcement. Indeed, to help preserve UConn from a recruiting perspective, it would be essential, especially if the American looks to be all but dissolved.

So if there is a Big 12 announcement without UConn, and nothing from UConn about the ACC, I will be very alarmed.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Honestly guys, can we put all of this ACC talk to bed already? We are not getting in the ACC. Ever. The ACCN has been launched without us. Adding us would require another team be added too to keep divisions equal. Notre Dame is NOT, I repeat...NOT!..., going to join the ACC any time soon. They have absolutely zero incentive to join since they are doled out a full share of ACCN revenue as a part-time member. They are not going to throw away NBC money, which is 100% theirs, for any good of any conference until the year comes that they miss out on the CFB Playoff. That day might not come for 100 years. Yes, the contract says that if ND joins a conference that it has to be the ACC. But the contract says nothing about ND having to join as a full time member by year 20XX. They can remain Indy for as long as they want. And as long as they get 100% shares of ACCN + NBC money, while remaining in CFB Playoff contention (in their good seasons), they aren't joining any conference.

It's Big 12 or bust here. If we are not devoting 1000% of energy and resources to Big 12 negotiations than we are screwed.

Reaction Score
Honestly guys, can we put all of this ACC talk to bed already? We are not getting in the ACC. Ever. The ACCN has been launched without us. Adding us would require another team be added too to keep divisions equal. Notre Dame is NOT, I repeat...NOT!..., going to join the ACC any time soon. They have absolutely zero incentive to join since they are doled out a full share of ACCN revenue as a part-time member. They are not going to throw away NBC money, which is 100% theirs, for any good of any conference until the year comes that they miss out on the CFB Playoff. That day might not come for 100 years. Yes, the contract says that if ND joins a conference that it has to be the ACC. But the contract says nothing about ND having to join as a full time member by year 20XX. They can remain Indy for as long as they want. And as long as they get 100% shares of ACCN + NBC money, while remaining in CFB Playoff contention (in their good seasons), they aren't joining any conference.

It's Big 12 or bust here. If we are not devoting 1000% of energy and resources to Big 12 negotiations than we are screwed.

Makes me wish they'd beaten Stanford last year, because I think they still would have been left out. Might have changed the calculus for them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom