Non-Key Tweets | Page 542 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
rian DavisVerified account‏@BDavisAAS
Asked if the Baylor scandal hurts Big 12 expansion, Bowlsby said, "It doesn't seem to make us any less popular."

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 56m56 minutes ago
Greg Flugaur Retweeted Brian Davis

https://mobile.twitter.com/BDavisAAS/status/738135758339342337… Typical Bowlsby statement.....correct answer but to a different question. Very odd.

Jason WilliamsVerified account‏@jwilliamscincy
Castiglione: Expansion "is something I'll reserve answering until tomorrow."

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 28m28 minutes ago
Greg Flugaur Retweeted Jason Williams

https://mobile.twitter.com/jwilliamscincy/status/738143514496618498… Now this will have value.

Castiglione: Data from consultants will drive decision.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 27m27 minutes ago

https://mobile.twitter.com/jwilliamscincy/status/738143678040932352… If you've been paying attention... ....well.....here we go.

Texas AD Mike Perrin now up. "I'm personally not for expansion for expansion sake."

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 22m22 minutes ago

https://mobile.twitter.com/jwilliamscincy/status/738145423597043713… Nobody is Mike.

Jake TrotterVerified account‏@Jake_Trotter
Texas AD Mike Perrin on potential expansion: "I think the prudent thing for us to do as a conference is stay where we are."

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 17m17 minutes ago
Greg Flugaur Retweeted Jake Trotter

https://mobile.twitter.com/Jake_Trotter/status/738146448940765185… Texas is/will continue to play hardball. Data presented this week will be hurdle to Texas's wishes. B12 Cival War

Joseph DuarteVerified account‏@Joseph_Duarte
Texas AD Mike Perrin: “I don’t think the Big 12 has to do anything right now.'

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 12m12 minutes ago
Greg Flugaur Retweeted Joseph Duarte

https://mobile.twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/738147694032490497… The gulf between OU & UT is comparable to the size of our Solar System. Staggering.

Perrin: "If there was a move, it'd have to keep us whole" (Translation: It might take more than $15M/yr for Texas to give up Longhorn Net)

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 10m10 minutes ago

https://mobile.twitter.com/jwilliamscincy/status/738148271063867392… Part of Texas Hard Ball negotiations.

Joseph DuarteVerified account‏@Joseph_Duarte
Sounds like UT AD Perrin has eliminated UConn. 'It’s tough to play West Virginia a lot … would be tough to play someone similar like that.'

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 8m8 minutes ago
Greg Flugaur Retweeted Joseph Duarte

https://mobile.twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/738152812845010946… I think this statement from UT AD is more about not wanting to invite another school without easy airport access.

junglehusky ‏@junglehusky 6m6 minutes ago
@flugempire plus they could throw their weight around to be in B12West division.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 4m4 minutes ago
@junglehusky Yes UT would be B12 West Some of these statements from AD's & Presidents are about taking hard line positions for negotiations

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 5s5 seconds ago
Everybody needs to chill. Today is bluster to claim positions Data in next 2 days will give some people at the table a pair of Aces.

Russell Steinberg ‏@Russ_Steinberg 10m10 minutes ago
Russell Steinberg Retweeted Greg Flugaur

Which UConn has, just as much, if not more than any other school

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 2m2 minutes ago
@Russ_Steinberg That is my point. I don't think UT AD was talking about difficulties of getting to the East in general. Not talking UCONN

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 4h4 hours ago
Only an inciting event could cause the B12 to add a G5 school now.

Jeff Cobb ‏@Jeffery_Cobb 4h4 hours agoWest Virginia, USA
@theDudeofWV I think TCU, WVU and Louisville should be counting their lucky stars. Those 3 are the last G5 schools to make the P5 cut.

Eric Ruby ‏@hoorayforeric 2h2 hours ago
@Jeffery_Cobb @theDudeofWV WVU wasn't G5, ever.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 1h1 hour ago
@hoorayforeric @Jeffery_Cobb The Big East was a BCS conference so WVU was never G5.

Jeff Cobb ‏@Jeffery_Cobb 51m51 minutes agoWest Virginia, USA
@hoorayforeric @theDudeofWV technically, terms "G5" & "P5" didn't even exist when the last big realignment took place. But my point remains

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Duarte actually responded to Flugar

He's probably right that this is more about UT's anti-expansion stance than anything... Perrin just throwing out excuses.

Reaction Score
Bluevod ‏@Bluevodreal May 31
confirms ACC is in trouble. ESPN and FOX no to BIG12N means No to ACCN.

Joe ‏@MgoArsenal 1h1 hour ago
@Bluevodreal SI doesn't seem to agree. Re: ACCN
Could the Big 12 have a conference title game in 2016?

Bluevod ‏@Bluevodreal 55m55 minutes ago
@MgoArsenal interesting... I was not aware how long ESPN was on the hook for longhorn network. Horrible deal bleeding cash. ACCN I doubt it.

Joe ‏@MgoArsenal 25m25 minutes ago
@Bluevodreal 2031 is a long time away.

Reaction Score
Jason Williams Verified account 
‏@jwilliamscincy
Perrin: "If there was a move, it'd have to keep us whole" (Translation: It might take more than $15M/yr for Texas to give up Longhorn Net)

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 1h1 hour ago
Part of Texas Hard Ball negotiations.

Joseph Duarte Verified account 
‏@Joseph_Duarte
Sounds like UT AD Perrin has eliminated UConn. 'It’s tough to play West Virginia a lot … would be tough to play someone similar like that.'

I think this statement from UT AD is more about not wanting to invite another school without easy airport access.

Russell Steinberg ‏@Russ_Steinberg · 1h1 hour ago

Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire
@Russ_Steinberg
That is my point.
I don't think UT AD was talking about difficulties of getting to the East in general.
Not talking UCONN

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 58m58 minutes ago
@junglehusky
Yes UT would be B12 West
Some of these statements from AD's & Presidents are about taking hard line positions for negotiations

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 55m55 minutes ago
Everybody needs to chill.
Today is bluster to claim positions
Data in next 2 days will give some people at the table a pair of Aces.

Reaction Score
In all this people still say Warde was a great AD. Amazing. We had a limited window of opportunity and he was overmatched.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
In all this people still say Warde was a great AD. Amazing. We had a limited window of opportunity and he was overmatched.
Timing is everything.

Reaction Score
Joseph Duarte Verified account 
‏@Joseph_Duarte

I think this statement from UT AD is more about not wanting to invite another school without easy airport access.

Russell Steinberg ‏@Russ_Steinberg · 1h1 hour ago

Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire
@Russ_Steinberg
That is my point.
I don't think UT AD was talking about difficulties of getting to the East in general.
Not talking UCONN

Question: What Big 12 expansion candidate has difficult airport access?
Answer: None.

Question: Then why is Flugempire interpreting Perrin's statement to mean difficult airport access?
Answer: [crickets]

Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 5m5 minutes ago
Big 12 could earn an additional $1 billion by expanding

Give haircuts to those new members...and you have Texas made "whole"=LHN $

Again...data will be giving out Ace's

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 5m5 minutes ago
As I said earlier tonight....everyone chill on UT AD words.Texas will take hard stand for negotiations within Conference on B12 Reform.

Reaction Score
I can't express in proper context how many LOL's I want to type in response to the idea the Big 12 is sweating the 'death penalty' for Baylor. I mean seriously... did he really, actually type that? The death penalty hasn't been used in three decades and it's not coming back...ever. The NCAA will never go back down that path. No commissioner or athletic director is seriously concerned about that being an option. Seriously, that post by him would be laughed out of the room by anyone in the know.

He's said many crazy things. That might be his craziest.

Reaction Score
So... let's reassess some of these tweets in light of Mike Perrin's comments last night.

MH ver and Christopher Lambert both said Texas is onboard with expansion. That does not seem to be true.

MH ver and Christopher Lambert both subsequently said expansion talks have stalled because Texas prefers unrealistic P5 candidates over G5 candidate. That could be true.

MH ver said Texas supports Houston. That does not seem to be true.

MH ver talked about a B12/ACC network. There is no evidence yet to lend any credibility to that.

Greg Flugaur insists Texas is simply playing hardball. That may be true.

I think we can probably take Perrin at his word up to a point because everything he said really is in the best interest of Texas.... on the front end.

I think Texas really does prefer to stay in the Big 12, keep the LHN and play most opponents close to home and in their own timezone.

Threats - even the threat of OU leaving - probably can't influence Texas because with its bigger fanbase and AAU status, Texas could probably join the Sooners (if not take their place) anywhere OU decides to go.

But if there's a way to make even more money, expand its brand, come out looking like the good guy and secure its comfortable Big 12 home by locking OU into an even longer GOR, then Texas will do it.

That's why I'm a Texas fan on a UConn board. The only way Texas expands its brand is through UConn's in-network area. You're the future of the Big 12. Right now we're just making sausage.

Reaction Score
So... let's reassess some of these tweets in light of Mike Perrin's comments last night.

MH ver and Christopher Lambert both said Texas is onboard with expansion. That does not seem to be true.

MH ver and Christopher Lambert both subsequently said expansion talks have stalled because Texas prefers unrealistic P5 candidates over G5 candidate. That could be true.

MH ver talked about a B12/ACC network. There is no evidence yet to lend any credibility to that.

I think we can probably take Perrin at his word up to a point because everything he said really is in the best interest of Texas.... on the front end.

I think Texas really does prefer to stay in the Big 12, keep the LHN and play most opponents close to home and in their own timezone.

Threats - even the threat of OU leaving - probably can't influence Texas because with its bigger fanbase and AAU status, Texas could probably join the Sooners (if not take their place) anywhere OU decides to go.

But if there's a way to make even more money, expand its brand, come out looking like the good guy and secure its comfortable Big 12 home by locking OU into an even longer GOR, then Texas will do it.

That's why I'm a Texas fan on a UConn board. The only way Texas expands its brand is through UConn's in-network area. You're the future of the Big 12. Right now we're just making sausage.
In it is indisputable that Texas will have as many options as OU to join another conference. But can Texas handle that? Can they handle being second fiddle in the B1g while A&M makes a ton of noise in the SEC? I am not so sure. Texas has a lot to lose here.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Question: What Big 12 expansion candidate has difficult airport access?
Answer: None.

Question: Then why is Flugempire interpreting Perrin's statement to mean difficult airport access?
Question: Which "expansion candidate" is located squarely in existing Big 12 territory, and thus adds nothing to the market for a potential Big 12 network?
Answer: Houston.

Question: Then why does CougarRed keep posting here?

Reaction Score
Question: Which "expansion candidate" is located squarely in existing Big 12 territory, and thus adds nothing to the market for a potential Big 12 network?
Answer: Houston.

Question: Then why does CougarRed keep posting here?
Perrin could not have been more clear. We're in Houston. The LHN is on in Houston. Translation: Houston doesn't bring one extra penny to the coffers so as Aerosmith would sing, "Dream on".

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
In it is indisputable that Texas will have as many options as OU to join another conference. But can Texas handle that? Can they handle being second fiddle in the B1g while A&M makes a ton of noise in the SEC? I am not so sure. Texas has a lot to lose here.
It kind of feels to me that A&M has hit its ceiling in the SEC and will return to its historical norm in the coming years. Decent results, rabid fan base that consists solely of alumni.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

For what it is worth, I think Texas is a bit nostalgic. I said years ago that the Big XII really screwed up in letting Colorado walk, and not expanding with Utah and another mountain state/southwestern school (pick Nevada, New Mexico...). WVU was an error. The loss of Missouri and Nebraska pushed the geography of the league further southwest. They could have boxed in the Pac 12, and been in a good position to poach an Arizona school.

Unfortunately, they utterly screwed that up, and have now lost A&M as well. I will say it now...Texas will not get to play in a geographically aligned conference at any time in the foreseeable future. It's over, they blew it, and it's largely their own fault.

The ACC doesn't have this public in-fighting. They have a pretty cohesive geography and several like minded schools. They are watching, can see where the Big 12 screwed up (and they screwed up with Maryland) and I think they will succeed in shoring up the league in some fashion. The odds of those schools defecting to the Big 12 is very low.

Reaction Score

Interesting question.

I'm not sure how Texas would handle being second fiddle in another conference, but about Texas' in-state rivalry with A&M, one could argue that Texas is already second fiddle to Texas A&M because Texas is in a second rate conference, A&M's televised games have had more viewers in recent years, and A&M passed Texas in revenue this year.

A&M is doing very well in a lot of areas these days, and good for them. But I get the impression from my fellow Texas fans is that there's really no need to fret about A&M just yet.

Yes, A&M passed Texas in revenues this year, just like Oregon passed Texas one year. Let's see if happens again or was just a blip because of one time donations for their stadium renovations.

[A better barometer might be the fact that the athletic department at Texas donates several million dollars to the University each year while Texas A&M has been having to loan their athletic department tens of millions each year for nearly a decade].

And yes A&M has been enjoying success while Texas has been struggling. But let's see what happens when Texas gets back on its feet.

Reaction Score
For what it is worth, I think Texas is a bit nostalgic. I said years ago that the Big XII really screwed up in letting Colorado walk, and not expanding with Utah and another mountain state/southwestern school (pick Nevada, New Mexico...). WVU was an error. The loss of Missouri and Nebraska pushed the geography of the league further southwest. They could have boxed in the Pac 12, and been in a good position to poach an Arizona school.

Unfortunately, they utterly screwed that up, and have now lost A&M as well. I will say it now...Texas will not get to play in a geographically aligned conference at any time in the foreseeable future. It's over, they blew it, and it's largely their own fault.

The ACC doesn't have this public in-fighting. They have a pretty cohesive geography and several like minded schools. They are watching, can see where the Big 12 screwed up (and they screwed up with Maryland) and I think they will succeed in shoring up the league in some fashion. The odds of those schools defecting to the Big 12 is very low.

Texas screwed up in 2010 when they took the LHN bribe to stay in the Big 12.

They could be in a Pac-16 East division right now with OU, A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Colorado, Arizona and Arizona State.

That would've been a pretty cool division.

Reaction Score
Schools are looking at this in the shorter term. Hence, the LHN.

When I look at college sports, I think it would be a case of administrative malpractice to do anything other than take the best short-term deals.

Texas, in other words, is doing what it should.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Texas screwed up in 2010 when they took the LHN bribe to stay in the Big 12.

They could be in a Pac-16 East division right now with OU, A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Colorado, Arizona and Arizona State.

That would've been a pretty cool division.

Maybe, until people in Austin had to stay up to 1:00 AM to see games. Playing Pacific time zone schools on a regular basis blows for any fan base east of the Rockies. It doesn't affect football most of the time, but is awful for the other sports.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom