Non-Key Tweets | Page 411 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
some BC fans still think Holy Cross is their big football rival.

I 've never met any BC fan thats still alive that thinks " Holy Cross is BC's big football Rival" .So I really don't know what you are talking about here regarding this. I don't believe that you even really believe this, as its so off the wall a comment for you to be making, imo.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
...the CT lawsuit was stupid and it failed...

I believe the University of Connecticut received a 7 figure payment as a result of that "failed" lawsuit.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You can't really have it both ways...

Proclaim that BC is worse off in a P5 than if it had stayed....

And yet yearn so for the same opportunity.

I do understand rivalry hatreds though, God bless "em.

Friends come and go but enemies are forever...and are thus a treasure.
Not seeing how those are mutually exclusive positions.

Reaction Score
I believe the University of Connecticut received a 7 figure payment as a result of that "failed" lawsuit.

I've posted this article before but it explains the dynamics of GORs and the response to conference lawsuits pretty well...

http://sportspolitico.com/2015/02/16/will-grant-of-rights-protect-big12-from-future-raids/

Even if UConn got a 7 figure payment the damage to our program perception and subsequent ill will was not worth it.

7 figure payment? The difference between G5 and P5 is over $20 million a year. 7 figures is nothing.

At the University President level, there is a certain level of camaraderie expected among the schools. They work in Ivy Towers and suing a fellow university in court for money is unsightly. Money may dominate college sports and thus conference affiliation but UConn was the first to take a fellow school to court.

UConn suing BC and its chancellor did not help us. Who knows how UConn's lawsuit effected the later ACC expansion votes but there is no angle where it was viewed as a positive. Did the lawsuit keep the BE together? Did the lawsuit get UConn in a P5 conference?

Blumenthal filing the lawsuit was more about promoting himself for future political ambitions....the lawsuit had less to do with helping UConn.

Whatever, it is done now. If UConn ends up in the BIG I'll be saying the lawsuit was the best thing that ever happened.

Reaction Score
I've posted this article before but it explains the dynamics of GORs and the response to conference lawsuits pretty well...

http://sportspolitico.com/2015/02/16/will-grant-of-rights-protect-big12-from-future-raids/

Even if UConn got a 7 figure payment the damage to our program perception and subsequent ill will was not worth it.

7 figure payment? The difference between G5 and P5 is over $20 million a year. 7 figures is nothing.

At the University President level, there is a certain level of camaraderie expected among the schools. They work in Ivy Towers and suing a fellow university in court for money is unsightly. Money may dominate college sports and thus conference affiliation but UConn was the first to take a fellow school to court.

UConn suing BC and its chancellor did not help us. Who knows how UConn's lawsuit effected the later ACC expansion votes but there is no angle where it was viewed as a positive. Did the lawsuit keep the BE together? Did the lawsuit get UConn in a P5 conference?

Blumenthal filing the lawsuit was more about promoting himself for future political ambitions....the lawsuit had less to do with helping UConn.

Whatever, it is done now. If UConn ends up in the BIG I'll be saying the lawsuit was the best thing that ever happened.

God, these attacks on Blumenthal just show idiocy. Fact -- as Attorney General, Dick Blumenthal was a lawyer, not a principal. He didn't sue on his own. He sued because the University of Connecticut -- a state instrumentality -- asked him to.

Seriously, some of you don't deserve your friggin franchise.

Reaction Score
Nobody knows. The lawsuit never went to Court. It was settled out of court, with an agreement by the parties that the terms of the settlement would never be revealed to the public. Besides, even if the settlement was for 7 figures, the expenses might've been pretty high. In any event, most people...including many in the Uconn community... freely admit by now in retrospect, that suing the ACC was a collosal mistake whose consequences may very well have been to the detriment of the School to this very day.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
God, these attacks on Blumenthal just show idiocy. Fact -- as Attorney General, Dick Blumenthal was a lawyer, not a principal. He didn't sue on his own. He sued because the University of Connecticut -- a state instrumentality -- asked him to.

Seriously, some of you don't deserve your friggin franchise.

Unless Richard Blumenthal was your father or something you need to calm down and take a deep breath. "Idiocy" and "not deserving your friggin franchise" is over the top. If you disagree with my opinion no issue but you don't need to make it personal.

For what it is worth I am an attorney as well although I am not egoistical enough to put it in my username. As such, I know exactly what the role of the Attorney General is. He is the primary advisor and lead counsel for the state of Connecticut. He is not some mindless suing instrument who sues when the state of Connecticut tells him to. The key words are advise and evaluate

There were clearly grounds for a lawsuit. But as lead counsel it was his job to determine the likely outcome and the public opinion costs of a victory. Additionally who was sued and whether to sue individuals as opposed to just the schools was his decision. Every attorney in America advises his/her clients and Blumenthal's client was Connecticut.

IMO The lawsuit did not benefit UConn. Maybe Blumenthal's hands were tied but he is an very aggressive litigator and seems to thrive on highly publicized lawsuits. He is now a US senator so clearly he had bigger aspirations than the AG.

At this point it no longer matters...time to move on

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Unless Richard Blumenthal was your father or something you need to calm down and take a deep breath. "Idiocy" and "not deserving your friggin franchise" is over the top. If you disagree with my opinion no issue but you don't need to make it personal.

For what it is worth I am an attorney as well although I am not egoistical enough to put it in my username. As such, I know exactly what the role of the Attorney General is. He is the primary advisor and lead counsel for the state of Connecticut. He is not some mindless suing instrument who sues when the state of Connecticut tells him to. The key words are advise and evaluate

There were clearly grounds for a lawsuit. But as lead counsel it was his job to determine the likely outcome and the public opinion costs of a victory. Additionally who was sued and whether to sue individuals as opposed to just the schools was his decision. Every attorney in America advises his/her clients and Blumenthal's client was Connecticut.

IMO The lawsuit did not benefit UConn. Maybe Blumenthal's hands were tied but he is an very aggressive litigator and seems to thrive on highly publicized lawsuits. He is now a US senator so clearly he had bigger aspirations than the AG.

Oh great two lawyers arguing on the boneyard

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

You are wrong. The BCS automatic bid would have been taken away in 2003 if not for the litigation and threat of more. And for those too stupid to remember, other schools were plaintiffs on that lawsuit.

Reaction Score
Pitt, Rutgers, And WVU were also plaintiffs.....but Blumenthal was the voice of the suit.

When the accusation was made that BC's Athletic Director, Defillipo, deliberately misled Big East officials in a sort of conspiracy, it got personal with him, I think.

Nobody seemed to hold it against Pitt, and all we really know is that BC was the one publicly vocal and negative about UConn and the ACC

Other than Boston College, I wonder if the other programs really gave a rat's patootie.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't follow college basketball. (Nobody seems to in Greater Boston). I didn't even know who BC played yesterday in college basketball. I think the young Celtics are playing well of late now however, and Bradley's 3 pointer at the buzzer to beat Lebron and the Cavs was pretty nice. But I'd imagine you probably don't like and follow the pros, just the amateurs games ? ( which is fine and all too .)

You made the case for why BC made a mistake. People used to follow college basketball in Boston. Hell, BC was even decent at it once upon a time. I live in metro Boston too, and it is frustrating. There are tons of college basketball fans here...they just don't follow the local teams, so sports bars and the like don't have a consistent fan base.

Reaction Score
Pitt, Rutgers, And WVU were also plaintiffs.....but Blumenthal was the voice of the suit.

When the accusation was made that BC's Athletic Director, Defillipo, deliberately misled Big East officials in a sort of conspiracy, it got personal with him, I think.

Nobody seemed to hold it against Pitt, and all we really know is that BC was the one publicly vocal and negative about UConn and the ACC

Other than Boston College, I wonder if the other programs really gave a rat's patootie.
Miami. While Shalala and Miami were not as publicly vocal as Flipper, Leahy, and BC; Shalala was pissed. She was definitely opposed to UConn after that. And I heard that directly from people in UConn and FSU's AD's, as well as a relatively big donor (not boats and hoes big) at Miami.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Besides, even if the settlement was for 7 figures, the expenses might've been pretty high. In any event, most people...including many in the Uconn community... freely admit by now in retrospect, that suing the ACC was a collosal mistake whose consequences may very well have been to the detriment of the School to this very day.

UConn doesn't have anyone left working for them who was part of that lawsuit decision and so the new administration is doing what they can to distance themselves from something they weren't a part of. Of course they're saying that now. It's like the republicans taking over the White House and saying everything done by the democrats was wrong. Or vice versa.

Same house. New head of household.

Reaction Score
Well...Florida's Attorney General, my old boss at one time, Charlie Crist, at the urging of Miami and FSU, filed a petition to intervene in the Connecticut suit. The judge granted his motion.

Charlie is an FSU grad (played football as Wake's QB before transferring).

pj

Reaction Score

I doubt there's an elected Attorney General in the nation who doesn't consider himself an independent actor ... capable of initiating action on his own ... and partly motivated by his own career interests.

Reaction Score
I 've never met any BC fan thats still alive that thinks " Holy Cross is BC's big football Rival" .So I really don't know what you are talking about here regarding this. I don't believe that you even really believe this, as its so off the wall a comment for you to be making, imo.

I have argued that UConn should be BC's biggest rival; but, some guy named Brad Bates at BC seems to thinks that Cross is.

"This will be a renewal of one of the oldest and greatest traditions of college football in New England," Boston College Director of Athletics Brad Bates said. "For many years, this was `the game' for alumni and fans of both schools, and I am delighted that we are able to renew - for at least two years - this spirited and long-standing rivalry."

http://www.bcinterruption.com/2014/...holy-cross-football-schedule-series-2018-2020

Reaction Score
I have argued that UConn should be BC's biggest rival; but, some guy named Brad Bates at BC seems to thinks that Cross is.

"This will be a renewal of one of the oldest and greatest traditions of college football in New England," Boston College Director of Athletics Brad Bates said. "For many years, this was `the game' for alumni and fans of both schools, and I am delighted that we are able to renew - for at least two years - this spirited and long-standing rivalry."

http://www.bcinterruption.com/2014/...holy-cross-football-schedule-series-2018-2020

Stop

Reaction Score

The ACC and Maryland were in an out of court for years after Maryland chose to bolt for the B1G and yet I have not heard anyone in the ACC 'blackballing' Maryland. Pitt as noted was part of UConn's suit and yet BC voted for them to join the ACC. BC used the suit as a smokescreen to keep UConn from taking it's lunch.

Reaction Score

1. All the Plaintiffs hired Skadden to bring the suit. EVen if the AG told his client he wasn't going to represent them, the suit still happens.

2. The suit was needed at the time to show the now P-5 that any further steps against the Big East would be met by scorched earth attacks. It gave the Big EAst time. Had the Big East accepted the ESPN contract, it would still be here.

You want to disagree with the litigation strategy with over a decade of hindsight -- more power to you. But the constant belief by many on the Board that Dick Blumenthal is why we're not in the P-5 is absurd. The University of Connecticut -- along with Pitt and WVU -- decided to bring this case. That is not an opinion-- it is fact.

Reaction Score

Brad Bates is an idiot, and a lousy AD.... worse than Hathaway. Bates will probably not be at BC at the end of the 2 year series of football games with Holy Cross. Besides, no BC fan alive believes that Holy Cross is BC's fooball rival, no more than Uconn football fans believe that Umass is Uconn's football rival.... and unlike Holy Cross, Umass has intentions of moving up in class in football. So stop with this nonsense that Holy Cross is BC's rival in football, as even you don't really believe this, any more than you believe ( as your current football coach does ) that Central Florida is Uconn's football rival.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom