Non-Key Tweets | Page 167 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Not Christopher Lambert @theDooleyofWV · 1 hours ago
The B12 is not expanding. Ever. In fact, my sources tell me that the conference will contract by 2 teams so that members will get even more money before the conference eventually folds in a few years.

WVU has a standing offer to join the SEC whenever it wants. My sources tell me that a move is imminent.

My sources tell me that Dana Holgorsen's bust will be added as the 5th member of Mount Rushmore.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I have never seen anyone over value their school more than The Dood. ESPN demanded that WVU was in! Look at our merchandise sales!(like this has any relevance in conference realignment) WVU is a pi** poor state with an overall population the size of some metro areas.

The only truth about WVU is that when The Big 12 was desperate to stop the bleeding and protect their tenuous TV contract, WVU made it abundantly clear that there would be no obstacle that they would not overcome to get out of The Big East. They were proactive when others were not, and as a result they reaped the reward of being in a P5 Conference. For now...

Reaction Score
I have never seen anyone over value their school more than The Dood. ESPN demanded that WVU was in! Look at our merchandise sales!(like this has any relevance in conference realignment) WVU is a pi** poor state with an overall population the size of some metro areas.

The only truth about WVU is that when The Big 12 was desperate to stop the bleeding and protect their tenuous TV contract, WVU made it abundantly clear that there would be no obstacle that they would not overcome to get out of The Big East. They were proactive when others were not, and as a result they reaped the reward of being in a P5 Conference. For now...

Spot on. It had nothing to do with the fact that they had beaten UGA and Oklahoma in BCS bowls in the last few years, and had become the clear #1 team in the Big East for football based on attendance, enthusiasm and performance. Just that they were the most proactive to get out.

Amazing.

pj

Reaction Score

Louisville was every bit as eager to get into a P5 conference as WVU, so that was not why WVU got in.

And if ESPN asked the B12 to take WVU, not Louisville, you have to ask: was this because they had the B12's best interests at heart? Or because they wanted to save the more valuable property for the ACC, which they own lock stock and barrel? Or because they wanted the B12 to be geographically dispersed and fragile, so that they can do to it later what they did to the Big East - destroy a property likely to auction itself to a competitor?

Reaction Score
Spot on. It had nothing to do with the fact that they had beaten UGA and Oklahoma in BCS bowls in the last few years, and had become the clear #1 team in the Big East for football based on attendance, enthusiasm and performance. Just that they were the most proactive to get out.

Amazing.

You can believe what you want, but when the time to move came WVU made it crystal clear they would not be held to the Big East by any prior financial agreement. TCU did the same. Louisville choked in the face of The Big East buy out and as a result was beaten to the punch by both of the above.

The Big 12's mistake was that they did not expand to 12 with WVU, Ville, Pitt, and Cincy when the opportunity arose. They could have at least planted a flag in an area other than the states of Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, and Iowa. Now they will fumble around for another decade and either be pulled apart 1 at a time, or add UCF and Cincy then. Worth it? Who knows?

Reaction Score

Amazing.
Do you think it hurt them that they made it abundantly clear, that they would start play the following fall come hell or high water? I think you're underestimating where that placed them in the jockeying for position to get in. The Big 12 was desperate to add a team.

pj

Reaction Score
Do you think it hurt them that they made it abundantly clear, that they would start play the following fall come hell or high water? I think you're underestimating where that placed them in the jockeying for position to get in. The Big 12 was desperate to add a team.

The B12 could have gone to any Big East team, asked them to match WVU's offer, and they would have done so.

Reaction Score
The B12 could have gone to any Big East team, asked them to match WVU's offer, and they would have done so.
Eh, I don't know. Louisville supposedly showed pause at the 20 million dollar exit fee WVU agreed to pay. That was Louisville. Keep in mind there were only three BE schools left behind. UCONN Cincinnati and USF. Four with loisville.

Remember that Sue Herbst was quoted publicly questioning whether sending student athletes out to Iowa was the best thing for student athletes. I think people misremember the sequence of events as they went down. Wvu went all in securing their bid to big 12.

Reaction Score

Exactly. If you think back, you'll remember just how quickly this happened. WVU had been courting invites to both The ACC and SEC for years to no avail. WVU's greatest bargaining chip was their willingness to move when The Big 12 needed them to. Louisville's indecisiveness cost them in that go around. They did not make that mistake again when The ACC was shopping.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Eh, I don't know. Louisville supposedly showed pause at the 20 million dollar exit fee WVU agreed to pay. That was Louisville. Keep in mind there were only three BE schools left behind. UCONN Cincinnati and USF. Four with loisville.

Remember that Sue Herbst was quoted publicly questioning whether sending student athletes out to Iowa was the best thing for student athletes. I think people misremember the sequence of events as they went down. Wvu went all in securing their bid to big 12.

All things at this point to UConn targeting the Big Ten. The delta in distance west only matters if traveling by bus. UConn is forced to fly to their AAC away games as it is...

...or is targeting the Big Ten purely reactionary (absolutely a possibility)?

Dooley

Reaction Score
All things at this point to UConn targeting the Big Ten. The delta in distance west only matters if traveling by bus. UConn is forced to fly to their AAC away games as it is...

...or is targeting the Big Ten purely reactionary (absolutely a possibility)?

Well, Iowa is in the Big Ten so if she was hesitant to send her student athletes to Ames (Iowa State), then she is probably equally as hesitant to send them to Iowa City. But if I had to guess, her anti-Iowan stance has softened considerably given UCONN's position as the #1 mid-major brand with no qualified P5 partners.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Well, Iowa is in the Big Ten so if she was hesitant to send her student athletes to Ames (Iowa State), then she is probably equally as hesitant to send them to Iowa City. But if I had to guess, her anti-Iowan stance has softened considerably given UCONN's position as the #1 mid-major brand with no qualified P5 partners.

As I said, I think targeting the Big Ten is reactionary given the handful of ACC spurns. The change in landscape has lead Herbst to rethink her position and strategy to achieve new goals. The statute of limitations has expired on any statement made prior to the Louisville invite.

Dooley

Reaction Score
As I said, I think targeting the Big Ten is reactionary given the handful of ACC spurns. The change in landscape has lead Herbst to rethink her position and strategy to achieve new goals. The statute of limitations has expired on any statement made prior to the Louisville invite.

Agreed. Ironic, but I actually think UCONN fits in better with the Big Ten than ACC. Northern, public, flagship, emphasis on research (fairly new with this one).

pj

Reaction Score

Those were ill-chosen words, she was obviously expecting to join the ACC when she said that. Nothing wrong with traveling to Iowa, in fact UConn football had scheduled them out of conference.

Reaction Score
Those were ill-chosen words, she was obviously expecting to join the ACC when she said that. Nothing wrong with traveling to Iowa, in fact UConn football had scheduled them out of conference.
They were ill chosen words, but kind of refute the assertion that "any Big East school""would have taken the deal the WVU did at the time no? Part of that was cause the Big East was still BCS, and there was no P5, but give WVU/Luck credit, they read the tea leaves better than anyone else.

CL82

Reaction Score
You can believe what you want, but when the time to move came WVU made it crystal clear they would not be held to the Big East by any prior financial agreement. TCU did the same. Louisville choked in the face of The Big East buy out and as a result was beaten to the punch by both of the above.

The Big 12's mistake was that they did not expand to 12 with WVU, Ville, Pitt, and Cincy when the opportunity arose. They could have at least planted a flag in an area other than the states of Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, and Iowa. Now they will fumble around for another decade and either be pulled apart 1 at a time, or add UCF and Cincy then. Worth it? Who knows?
Of course the OBE made the mistake of not picking up Kansas, K State, and even Iowa St. when it looked cetain the Big 12 was about to fold.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Of course the OBE made the mistake of not picking up Kansas, K State, and even Iowa St. when it looked cetain the Big 12 was about to fold.

It didn't fold - there was nothing to pick up.

Reaction Score
Maryland never voted for the Exit Fee increase and put forth that the ACC did not follow their own internal procedures as outlined in the Bylaws. A fairly strong position to take going into a contract breach fight....and they still paid a record fee.

All current ACC programs voluntarily signed an individual contract and part of that contract is a statement that they are signing the GOR to add value to the conference. ESPN, the media partner, advises on the value of current members and potential members to a media contract. If the value of the conference is determined to be less after a breach..loss of market, loss of desirable match ups, etc., there will be dozens of lawyers dancing on the heads of pins.

No one has tested the valuation of damages under a GOR. If that ever happens, it will inspire 1000's of internet hits, 100's of rumors. Until that time...we just do not know how it will fall out.
Wasn't the 31mm , already in the ACC hands, so in essence Maryland forfeited compensation owed them. That might seem like a technicality but it put Maryland at a disadvantage.
I think they realized trying to get that money wasn't worth the fight.

Reaction Score
It never folded, in fact, Marinatto had a plan in place to scoop up KU, KSU, ISU, and Baylor if the others bolted. Would've made for a pretty good football league as TCU would've been in on top of that. Perhaps the Big East still exists today if the OU/Texas et al left. To this day, I can't fathom why everyone was so happy it stayed together.

CL82

Reaction Score
It didn't fold - there was nothing to pick up.
Agreed, just pointing out that the "what if/should have" game cuts both ways. Yeah, the Big 12 could have made decisions that would have saved it, but so could have the OBE.
It never folded, in fact, Marinatto had a plan in place to scoop up KU, KSU, ISU, and Baylor if the others bolted. Would've made for a pretty good football league as TCU would've been in on top of that. Perhaps the Big East still exists today if the OU/Texas et al left. To this day, I can't fathom why everyone was so happy it stayed together.
Yep.

Reaction Score
By now..we have the Dude down...

...breaking news Wednesday

....Well, not really breaking news but a direction that his source thinks the Big 12 will be going ..post conference meeting

....Things are fluid, no agreement in Big 12 re expansion

...."I was misled by my source"

pj

Reaction Score
They were ill chosen words, but kind of refute the assertion that "any Big East school""would have taken the deal the WVU did at the time no? Part of that was cause the Big East was still BCS, and there was no P5, but give WVU/Luck credit, they read the tea leaves better than anyone else.

I should have said Louisville, Cincinnati, USF, and WVU. Rutgers knew it was ticketed to the B1G and UConn may have thought it was ticketed to the ACC. With years of lobbying by Louisville to the B12, I'm sure they would have committed to the same deal WVU did. It wasn't that costly in terms of exit fees and they started picking up big payouts immediately.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 5h 5 hours ago
If reports are true that Big 12 wrestling is expanding to include North Dakota St that is great news for our neighbor to the West

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 5h 5 hours ago
It will be interesting to hear what Iowa St. and OU/OKST think about this expansion. It's good news overall for D1 wrestling

Matt Wyers ‏@mkw_14 16h16 hours ago
@flugempire Do you think they are holding out in the event the ACC have defections in the not too distant future?

Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire 5h5 hours ago
@mkw_14 UT is not ready to leave its neighbors....OU not ready to leave UT

Matt Wyers ‏@mkw_14 3h3 hours ago
@flugempire I mean holding out as it relates to expanded in the here and now...

@flugempire They could add UCF, Cincinnati, or others at any time...

@flugempire But it might behoove them to wait and see if programs like FSU, Clemson or the like become available in the near future.

@flugempire Or do you think they have another motivation for not expanding at this time?

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 1h1 hour ago
By the time the B12N is a reality everyone will have internet capable smart TVs and the Big 12 will be available thru your provider or sub.

Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire 24m24 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV Big 12 needs to increase footprint to provide the turbine engines of the conference to prosper...to takeoff.

Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire 22m22 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV Big 12 has a fantastic fan base. Dude of WV is correct. But it's just too small to force better tv value in future

Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire 20m20 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV Go get BYU...go get UCF...spread Big 12 brand into Florida... Big 12 new tv contract 10+ years is going to be worthless w/o exp

Christopher Lambert @theDudeofWV · 3h 3 hours ago
The current administrations at both Texas and Oklahoma are 100% committed to the Big 12.

Before you jump on the tweet about UT & OU read it carefully. Notice the wording....

Expansion, as I've said many times before, isn't on the Big 12 radar.

Nobody is worried about the playoffs. Nary a school supports expansion.

The Big 12 does believe the Big Ten will make an attempt to lure schools from the ACC next year.

I've said over and over again that the Big Ten thinks it can overcome the ACC GoR. I don't see how but they think its possible.

The hook seems to be the ACCN and the fact that ACC schools were not paid for the GoR at fair market rate.

So if that happens the Big 12 will make a pitch to the best values remaining.

That's a big if...

Christopher Lambert @theDudeofWV · 2h 2 hours ago
So why are UT & OU committed to the Big 12. The answer is simple. More $ to be made in the Big 12.

Christopher Lambert @theDudeofWV · 2h 2 hours ago
Why? Because the Big 12 TV will be redone before the others.

Christopher Lambert @theDudeofWV · 1h 1 hour ago
Almost forgot the most important part. Big 12 Network is coming too. Not today... not in 6 years.. but's its coming.

Christopher Lambert @theDudeofWV · 1h 1 hour ago
Distribution model for b12N will have options... Pay as you go, mobile, cable, app...

Garrett Weiss ‏@StrengthOfSpear 1h1 hour ago
@theDudeofWV probably the soonest the big12 may expand right ?

Christopher Lambert‏@theDudeofWV 1h1 hour ago
@StrengthOfSpear There are other scenarios where it could happen.

Garrett Weiss ‏@StrengthOfSpear 1h1 hour ago
@theDudeofWV I'm guessing if the big10 decides to expand

@StrengthOfSpear Unless somebody can explain to me how the ACC GoR will be circumvented I find it doubtful.

@StrengthOfSpear Nobody in the ACC is desperate enough.

Kyle Jacobson ‏@_KyleJacobson 1h1 hour ago
@theDudeofWV Can't the B1G only take two more teams from the ACC? That would put them at 16...

@_KyleJacobson The Big Ten will add as long as they can profit. I really think 16 is the limit though.

@theDudeofWV I don't see how a 12 team ACC plus Notre Dame becomes unstable enough for the Big 12 to start poaching

@_KyleJacobson Take away UVA & GT. Then the SEC adds UNC & VT. How long does FSU stay in the ACC?

@theDudeofWV B1G is likely to take GT and VT for academics and footprint, sure. Is it really possible for the Tobacco Road schools to split?

@_KyleJacobson Ask @_andrewcarter. Now that there is a P5 would it be so bad. Duke could be a OoC game.

@StrengthOfSpear Remember there has to be great opportunity & great need. Nobody in the ACC has great need.

@_KyleJacobson Ask @_andrewcarter if UNC is happy with ACC revenues. They can't stand the thought of NC State moving to the SEC.

@theDudeofWV @_andrewcarter Would Clemson have a good chance at getting into the SEC?

@_KyleJacobson @_andrewcarter I would say not if the SEC is expanding for money because of duplication of market.

@theDudeofWV Good point. In state rivalry with SCAR would be cool, but it's all about the money

@_KyleJacobson I still think, and this is my opinion. The P5 doesn't change but the Big 12 expands in 2018-2020 at the behest of Fox.

@_KyleJacobson If that happens then Cincy and UCF are in...

@_KyleJacobson And a guy in NCST's athletic department told me personally that NC ST would leave the SEC in a NY minute for an SEC invite

@theDudeofWV Very, very, very, interesting

@_KyleJacobson 99% chance nothing happens except maybe a ACC school decides it can't afford to be in P5.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom