Non-Big East Conference Tournament Thread | The Boneyard

Non-Big East Conference Tournament Thread

Reaction Score
Gotta love conference tournaments.

The Big South championship: Winthrop v Longwood - Noon - ESPN2

The two best teams in the Big South are in the championship. Winthrop is led by 6'9 275 junior D.J. Burns Jr. (15.1p, 62/7 fg%) while Longwood is led by 6'0 sophomore Justin Hill (14.4p, 4.8r, 4.1a, 1.4s).

Winthrop is the 7th best shooting team in the nation thanks to their 57% from inside. Longwood shoots 38% from three and are 35rd in offensive rebounding. When you boil it down, two good offensive teams with suspect Ds that rely on causing TOs and preventing 2nd chance shots. Pretty even matchup except for Winthrop has the size advantage with Burns (6'9) and Hightower (6'7) being their two best players.

The MVC championship: Loyola-Chicago v Drake - 2 PM - CBS

For some reason, Loyola-Chicago is on the bubble. Personally, they should get in win or lose, but a win today would be huge for their mojo. Known earlier in his career for his defense, fifth-year Lucas Williamson has stepped up as the team's offensive leader (13.9p, 40% 3p%). Drake is led by coach's son and former top-100 recruit Tucker deVries (13.9p) who even at 6'7 210 plays most of his minutes as the small ball 5.

Loyola is a top-40 offensive and defensive team. As long as Drake isn't hot from the perimeter, it would be surprising if Drake gets the win.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
We want Loyola to win today. That would avoid the case of a possible bid-stealer which will help fellow conference mate Xavier.

Reaction Score
Did anyone else catch the SoCon Championship between Furman and Chattanooga?

Slow first half but awesome second half and OT. Tied with 4.2 points remaining, Furman took the lead with a layup.

Chattanooga’s David Jean-Baptiste started the game 0-8 but started the possession and took it to about 25 feet away for a last second heave, banking it in to win the game, the SoCon Championship and a ticket to March Madness.

Chattanooga has been one of my favorite mid-majors all season and will be a dangerous 12 seed. They’re old, comfortable playing slowly, have a legit bucket getter in Malachi Smith, a diverse group of scorers (including Kansas transfer De Sousa) and a defense that is top-40 against guarding the perimeter.

Reaction Score
Unreal shot(s) to end that Furman / Chattanooga game. Turned it on randomly - bc of the two final games it was closer to finishing..

Was rooting for Furman, that's gut-wrenching. Sorry about your luck. It's March baby!

Reaction Score

Slow first half but awesome second half and OT. Tied with 4.2 points remaining, Furman took the lead with a layup.

Chattanooga’s David Jean-Baptiste started the game 0-8 but started the possession and took it to about 25 feet away for a last second heave, banking it in to win the game, the SoCon Championship and a ticket to March Madness.

Chattanooga has been one of my favorite mid-majors all season and will be a dangerous 12 seed. They’re old, comfortable playing slowly, have a legit bucket getter in Malachi Smith, a diverse group of scorers (including Kansas transfer De Sousa) and a defense that is top-40 against guarding the perimeter.
Yes, great game and finish.

Reaction Score

The team is built to be mid-major dangerous especially if their bracket opens up.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Who does everyone else think will win the following tourneys?
A-10: Dayton
MW: Colorado State
WCC: Gonzaga
Ivy: Yale
AAC: Houston
B1G: Wisconsin
SEC: Auburn
Big 12: Baylor
Pac-12: Oregon
ACC: Duke

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Who does everyone else think will win the following tourneys?
A-10: Dayton
MW: Colorado State
WCC: Gonzaga
Ivy: Yale
AAC: Houston
B1G: Wisconsin
SEC: Auburn
Big 12: Baylor
Pac-12: Oregon
ACC: Duke
Wisconsin currently +1000, Vegas doesn’t think Johnny Davis is playing. Severely hampers their chances - they’re an NIT without him.

Reaction Score
Re: Winthrop and Longwood

I like it when top teams from low and mid-major conferences win the conference tourney. Gives a larger likelihood for chaos and upsets.

Reaction Score
Weird caveat to today's 5 PM A-Sun Championship game. This sucks. Why can't new D1 teams be eligible???

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
Weird caveat to today's 5 PM A-Sun Championship game. This sucks. Why can't new D1 teams be eligible???

What an odd situation. Would have thought it would go to whoever was the runner up in the tournament. But I guess you reward the regular season champ there.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If Houston doesn't get healthy quick, Memphis might win the AAC.
Would hate to see that

Reaction Score
If Houston doesn't get healthy quick, Memphis might win the AAC.
Would hate to see that
I know people were picking on Memphis earlier, but it almost seems like that was poking tiger. With Emoni Bates not playing since Jan 27th, it seems like the chemistry has picked up and the controversy and BS is in the rear view mirror.

I don't want UConn playing Memphis in the first round-they will be a tough out for anyone. I don't think UConn will be playing Memphis either because at this rate Memphis will be off that 12 seed spot.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Still surprised every time I look at the ACC bracket and how bad it is. So many teams with history that are just terrible.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
They would have been better off had they never left and, I can begrudgingly admit, their presence would make the BE better too. A little bit, anyway.

(I wonder how many fans would agree to this or think the same).

If they turn into BC they are still better off than us because they got that ACC Football money! Wooo!!

Reaction Score

If you watch closely, it looks like the Furman defender at the top of the three-point line is busy untucking his shirt ready to take it off, show his chest, flex, and celebrate. That went South pretty quickly.

Reaction Score
So funny- Louisville Notre Dame Pittsburgh and BC are all playing in the cellar dweller opening around games today for the ACC —wish nothing but the worst for all of them especially BC —should never of left boys. And they’re playing in Barclays again ? they trying to copy the big east—what happened to Greensboro? Dumb

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom