Nolan's extra weight. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Nolan's extra weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I like Facey but let's not call him a great rebounder by any stretch now. Maybe with 7,8 or 9 against Duke we can. But the last 2 games with 3 against Yale where 6'6 white guys were keeping him off his feet and 5 against Coppin Out, he's regressing a bit. Hope it's just a slump, but his minutes are way too many to throw those numbers up against teams like that. He can score a little but nothing outside of transition except a couple nice put backs or over the top dunks. Definitely more than Nolan but let's not begin to believe he can guard a solid PF as well as Nolan its not close no matter how much you hate Phil! Not saying Phil's great but he's got a clue the other not so much yet. Call him out all you want that's your prerogative, I could care less, Phil's also frustrated me.

I never called Facey a great anything. Like you said Nolan wasnt much better and thats my point. Right now Nolan isnt even as good as Facey as far as what hes able to contribute and thats terrible.

Reaction Score
But UConn standards for the past few years, Facey is Dennis Rodman.

Reaction Score
I never called Facey a great anything. Like you said Nolan wasnt much better and thats my point. Right now Nolan isnt even as good as Facey as far as what hes able to contribute and thats terrible.

All good Champs.

But we will need someone to stop someone or at least control someone on the post. Hate to tell you best bet is Nolan. Brimah doesn't body up well and loses his guy easily doesn't feel the move and we need to keep him out of foul trouble. Kentan has a ways to go defensively. It's not a great choice and he deserves some berating for showing no improvement. But he guarded some people when we needed him last year so we know he still can and hopefully steps up. Guarding down there will be as important or moreso than scoring against Duke, at times! I mean a lot of things have to happen for the stars to align, one of those is for Nolan to play some key minutes, not sure how many that is, but some!

Reaction Score
But UConn standards for the past few years, Facey is Dennis Rodman.

Daniel Hamilton is our best rebounder as of right now. But Facey is close and improved but the last 2 games are a little alarming against lesser teams.

Reaction Score
Daniel Hamilton is our best rebounder as of right now. But Facey is close and improved but the last 2 games are a little alarming against lesser teams.

Facey has been a better rebounder than Hamilton has. Facey gets 15.1% of all rebounds while he's on the floor to Hamilton's 11.7%.

Reaction Score
Facey has been a better rebounder than Hamilton has. Facey gets 15.1% of all rebounds while he's on the floor to Hamilton's 11.7%.

One guy is asked to guard on the outside, shoot from the outside and handle the ball on occasion as well as being potentially our best passer. The other is asked to rebound the basketball and stay near the basket. To me if they both have 6.3 a game the guy who isn't hanging around the basket has a real good nose for the ball, but again just me. DHam also plays 8 more minutes but he goes to get it as good as anyone in traffic. Facey's better at going UP to get it though. Need them both to get 8 plus tomorrow! LOL

Reaction Score
All good Champs.

But we will need someone to stop someone or at least control someone on the post. Hate to tell you best bet is Nolan. Brimah doesn't body up well and loses his guy easily doesn't feel the move and we need to keep him out of foul trouble. Kentan has a ways to go defensively. It's not a great choice and he deserves some berating for showing no improvement. But he guarded some people when we needed him last year so we know he still can and hopefully steps up. Guarding down there will be as important or moreso than scoring against Duke, at times! I mean a lot of things have to happen for the stars to align, one of those is for Nolan to play some key minutes, not sure how many that is, but some!

I completely agree with all of this.

Reaction Score
One guy is asked to guard on the outside, shoot from the outside and handle the ball on occasion as well as being potentially our best passer. The other is asked to rebound the basketball and stay near the basket. To me if they both have 6.3 a game the guy who isn't hanging around the basket has a real good nose for the ball, but again just me. DHam also plays 8 more minutes but he goes to get it as good as anyone in traffic. Facey's better at going UP to get it though. Need them both to get 8 plus tomorrow! LOL

I would agree with this, the percentage number seems pretty misleading, although honestly i couldn't tell you how they're rebounding because i'm typically preoccupied with marveling at how bad the offense looks. Hoping for a big step forward tomorrow night in a game that - if they're not ready to go from the jump - could get ugly like last year's Louisville massacre.

Reaction Score
Nolan has been a complete zero so far this season. His per40 numbers are 3.9 points, 3.4 rebounds, 0.5 blocks, 8.2 fouls, 2.9 turnovers, 0 steals, 0 assists on 50% shooting.

Lubin hasn't been a world beater, but his per40 numbers are 8 points, 11.2 rebounds (!), 0 blocks, 1.6 fouls, 0 turnovers, 0 steals, 1.6 assists.

Obviously sample size caveats apply, and I'm by no means saying that Lubin is going to be great, but Nolan has been so downright awful that giving Lubin more minutes is the only reasonable solution I can come up with. I would have liked to have seen an experience fifth-year guy who could pick up some of these minutes, but we never got one, so we're stuck with only two functional big men.

I'm just really not sure what Lubin offers as an upgrade other than maybe rebounding. The guy is maybe 6'6, and keep in mind that Nolan often replaces Brimah. So if you want Lubin to take Nolan's minutes you're basically advocating for Lubin and Facey as your front line for part of the game, which is a defensive disaster waiting to happen.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Nolan is playing depressed and he needs to play angry. Does anyone recall the game against West Virginia where he got a terrible foul call then immediately grabbed a missed shot and slammed it down with authority on the very next play? We need more of that Phil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom