Nolan's extra weight. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Nolan's extra weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I disagree about this. Though he might not have ever been a jumper he has lost lateral quickness since his Freshman year with the added weight. He use to have some pretty fast post moves even though he missed them a lot. LOL. He now is just plain slow and it is painful. As soon as he moves the defense is there. He sucks but he is all we have back there to give AB some minutes so he has to learn to do the dirty work of rebounding better at least.

Well, then I guess we'll agree to disagree. Phil has always been a terrible finisher around the basket because he's never been particularly quick or explosive. If you think it's the weight, then that's your prerogative.

Reaction Score
We usually have this thread about once per year.
My experience with weight lifting was pretty typical, I thought, of most men in their late teens and 20s. If you're not taking drugs, and you're busting your ass in the weight room for at least an hour a day, 5 days a week, a pound a month of muscle would be an excellent gain. That's 12 pounds a year.
Their is a very widely spread myth that a man can add "15 pounds of muscle in the off season." That's complete horsesh-t, unless you're on steroids. At that rate, you could put on 30 pounds of muscle a year and go from a 160 pound weakling to Arnold sized in 3 years. That's not how it works.

Phil did not - repeat, did not - put on 20 pounds of muscle between April and September. 10 pounds of muscle over that time period would have been a tremendous gain. If he put on 20 pounds, it was mostly fat.

Regarding training for vertical - pretty darn easy, really. Olympic squat athletes all have tremendous vertical.

When I started playing ball, I had about a 24" vertical. Pathetic. After about 4 years of heavy weight training and playing ball, my vertical was about 36". Acceptable. But my squat went from sets at 110 to sets at 300 over those 4 years.

I'm also not a believer that muscles make you slower or bulker or any of that, unless you're Mr. Olympia size. Most 18 year olds with a natural frame, like Phil, would benefit immensely from putting on 25 pounds of muscle, for quickness, vertical, and all of it.

The Florida before and after pics are proof of that - they didn't get slower by getting more muscular.

Phil is Phil.
Agreed on pretty much all of this.

Muscle is associated with slowing down because most people don't perform movements in the gym with any explosiveness; the concentric part of the movement is usually about as slow as the eccentric. You're training your muscles to fire in a more serial, slowed-down progression that way.

To improve the vertical, hell yeah you gotta squat, but jumping is a fast, integrated, explosive movement and you need to train explosively and with maximum effort to improve. Box jumps, broad jumps, jumping at the top of a step-up, jump squats, stairs going 3 at a time.

Reaction Score
Well, then I guess we'll agree to disagree. Phil has always been a terrible finisher around the basket because he's never been particularly quick or explosive. If you think it's the weight, then that's your prerogative.
I don't disagree about being a bad finisher. I agree he has always been but now he can't even get open on his moves as they are so slow. He definitely didn't gain much muscle as he seems weaker with the extra weight also. LOL!!!!

I think like Tyler Olander he is a marginal Division one basketball player. Just like Tyler with the extra weight they both got worst as what ever little athletic ability they had vanished.

Reaction Score
The extra weight doesn't seem to have translated into extra strength. It's not like he's pushing people around or setting devastating screens. It's just surprising that he hasn't improved much since arriving on campus. Lately that has been more the norm that the exception when it comes to our 5's. Brimah being the exception.

Reaction Score
He needs to overlearn what it is he's supposed to do when he gets the ball so that he can do it reflexively. He's like an tortoise - yup, I caught the ball, now let's see, um uh, what do I do now? Oh yeah, I think I'm suppose to shoot it...Yup, that's what I'll do, I'll shoot it...

KO and his staff can surely come up with some drills that will help him perform two relatively simple tasks in succession. Can't they?

Reaction Score
You think! He's been here 3 years and we would think he's trending up but he's stagnant. Expected some slight improvement ; how hard can that be. Put the Rock in a let him bang some bodies around at least we have him for 4 years.

Reaction Score
On a night AB goes for 40, Face gets 15 and Lubin gets 5 because Coppin st had no grasp on the concept of post defense Nolan cant manage to score a single point? I mean are you kidding me?!!! He absolutely STINKS and should not be out on the floor except in garbage time. He should not be playing D1.

Reaction Score
You think! He's been here 3 years and we would think he's trending up but he's stagnant. Expected some slight improvement ; how hard can that be. Put the Rock in a let him bang some bodies around at least we have him for 4 years.

Statistically, he's the worst he's ever been. His scoring and rebounding rates are half of what they were last year, blocks are less than half, fouls and turnovers are way up, etc. He's costing the team points every minute he's on the floor.

Reaction Score
wow. pretty harsh.
Yeah i know but sometimes the truth has to be said and sometimes its harsh. I dont like to sugar coat like a lot of apologists on here. I praised his play in the tourney last season which was a revelation and helped contribute to our title. But the fact is he has been absolutely terrible this year thus far and hasnt been very good since hes been here. I really hope he gets it together but i see absolutely no reason to believe he will. I mean come on, Brimah,Facey and even Lubin played well against that horrible coppin st frontcourt but Noland did Zilch !!!

Reaction Score
I love Phil and hate to criticize the guy but really WTF has he really worked on in the off-season . He finished last season strong for Phil and was an important player in the rotation during the championship run. I really thought Phil was gonna build on that but it ain't happening . Was expecting so much more. Call it what you want but he ain't getting better and imo he's worse.
He made a really nice move against Texas, where he spun around and had a clean dunk from about 10', but he, incredibly, missed a dunk. Two points for an uncontested layup... hopefully next time. Oh, and we lost by 1.

Reaction Score
Yeah i know but sometimes the truth has to be said and sometimes its harsh. I dont like to sugar coat like a lot of apologists on here. I praised his play in the tourney last season which was a revelation and helped contribute to our title. But the fact is he has been absolutely terrible this year thus far and hasnt been very good since hes been here. I really hope he gets it together but i see absolutely no reason to believe he will. I mean come on, Brimah,Facey and even Lubin played well against that horrible coppin st frontcourt but Noland did Zilch !!!

Nolan plays better defense than all of those you name on the post. Brimah blocks more shots and is scarier no doubt but Nolan is a better defender physically as long as he isn't looking for the charge only which is now a problem. Facey is not a good defender at all yet unless you count Coppin. We will see how much better he is now against Jefferson. While you like to hammer Phil as to not being good at all his stats will never be but there are still some decent things he does others can't do like it or not. Not all rosey with the one's you prefer to discuss!

Reaction Score
Nolan plays better defense than all of those you name on the post. Brimah blocks more shots and is scarier no doubt but Nolan is a better defender physically as long as he isn't looking for the charge only which is now a problem. Facey is not a good defender at all yet unless you count Coppin. We will see how much better he is now against Jefferson. While you like to hammer Phil as to not being good at all his stats will never be but there are still some decent things he does others can't do like it or not. Not all rosey with the one's you prefer to discuss!
Facey can score,hit free throws and most importantly rebounds and played very well against texas so his good by far outweighs his deficiencies same with Amidah. Nolan being better defensively is a stretch unless your simply talking against msu in the tourney ill give you that but to say hes better than Amidah thats nonsense. Amidah changes the game with his presence in the post. Sorry you dont like Nolan being called out but it is what it is.

Reaction Score
I was hoping Phil would pick up where he left off last season but to say he has been underwhelming is an understatement. If Phil had to rebound for food he would have his own personal chair at the food bank every night.

Reaction Score
You would think he would get tired of having his shot block and get really aggressive on put backs. It just hasn't happened yet.

Just look at the ease this young pup gets up.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I really think Phil will start regressing to the mean and start playing at least as well as he did last year...TSam as well...and that should boost the team's fortunes considerably

Reaction Score
I think Nolan's biggest problem involving strength is that, while his upper body is very strong, his lower body/legs are very weak still. That is why he isn't as explosive as he can be and why he gets pushed around so easily

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Lubin likely will get the chance to steal minutes from Nolan, but the question is whether he'll be able to or not (that topic may deserve its own thread).

I haven't seen any noteworthy defense from Lubin. He doesn't have a single block in 25 minutes so far. But he boards much more efficiently than Nolan, and he only has 1 foul in those 25 minutes thus far which I love to see. Lubin doesn't have the height to guard centers like Nolan, but if he's able to use his body well enough to alter shots and defend rather than block shots, I see no reason why he shouldn't play more. Has anyone paid more attention to his on-ball defense than I have?

Side-note: Lubin isn't nearly as cut as he looked in some of the pictures people posted. He actually looks a little pudgy on the court. I certainly still wouldn't mess with him, but that surprised me a bit. He also has the best shoe-game on the entire team as a freshman.

Reaction Score
Lubin has been inconsistent, which is better than being consistently terrible, which is what Phil has been. Nolan isn't doing anything well enough to fill a role. We need someone who can give our bigs a rest, and at this point, I'm not sure that Lubin wouldn't be better suited to that.

I'm struggling to think of wtf you've seen out of Lubin to think he'd be better suited to get more minutes. Are we watching the same guy?

Reaction Score
Facey can score,hit free throws and most importantly rebounds and played very well against texas so his good by far outweighs his deficiencies same with Amidah. Nolan being better defensively is a stretch unless your simply talking against msu in the tourney ill give you that but to say hes better than Amidah thats nonsense. Amidah changes the game with his presence in the post. Sorry you dont like Nolan being called out but it is what it is.

I like Facey but let's not call him a great rebounder by any stretch now. Maybe with 7,8 or 9 against Duke we can. But the last 2 games with 3 against Yale where 6'6 white guys were keeping him off his feet and 5 against Coppin Out, he's regressing a bit. Hope it's just a slump, but his minutes are way too many to throw those numbers up against teams like that. He can score a little but nothing outside of transition except a couple nice put backs or over the top dunks. Definitely more than Nolan but let's not begin to believe he can guard a solid PF as well as Nolan its not close no matter how much you hate Phil! Not saying Phil's great but he's got a clue the other not so much yet. Call him out all you want that's your prerogative, I could care less, Phil's also frustrated me.

Reaction Score
I'm struggling to think of wtf you've seen out of Lubin to think he'd be better suited to get more minutes. Are we watching the same guy?

Nolan has been a complete zero so far this season. His per40 numbers are 3.9 points, 3.4 rebounds, 0.5 blocks, 8.2 fouls, 2.9 turnovers, 0 steals, 0 assists on 50% shooting.

Lubin hasn't been a world beater, but his per40 numbers are 8 points, 11.2 rebounds (!), 0 blocks, 1.6 fouls, 0 turnovers, 0 steals, 1.6 assists.

Obviously sample size caveats apply, and I'm by no means saying that Lubin is going to be great, but Nolan has been so downright awful that giving Lubin more minutes is the only reasonable solution I can come up with. I would have liked to have seen an experience fifth-year guy who could pick up some of these minutes, but we never got one, so we're stuck with only two functional big men.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom