Nolan | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Nolan

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Does anyone think we would be discussing Nolan if Rodney or Omar played in the Bryant game and struggled?

Should we flip our opinions about Phil's flopping or hold pat?

Speaking of flipping, should we find the UConn women's soccer player and have her show us how it's done? Does anyone else think that gesture took balls and should get the retired Testiculo award?

Speaking of a flipping women's soccer player do you know there is a 76 y.o male poster on the women's board who never used word or flipped the bird? I don't know why but that seemed alien to me and made me shiver. I remember my neighbors 5 y.o daughter getting ticked at her mom and tried to flip the bird. Couldn't make the middle finger rise to the occasion so she flashed the pinky. It was tough as heck for the grown ups not to laugh. I laughed!

Reaction Score
Phil's fine and he does a nice job at taking charges. Sometimes he misses and probably shouldn't but that's part of the art of thinking ahead of the play. He was 1 of 2 the other night and the same guy got each call wrong LOL........Phil needs to play a little better than the 2 exh games and the Bryant game for us. But not much as he does do the "dirty" work many people do not recognize.

Reaction Score
He lead the team in charges last year. Ollie has repeatedly praised him for it. How are you seeing it?

Id rather see real defense and stop with the gimicky flopping crap. takings charges at his rate is too risky. high risk, low reward.

Reaction Score
Id rather see real defense and stop with the gimicky flopping crap. takings charges at his rate is too risky. high risk, low reward.

If you're good at it it IS defense. A guy can't come flying through all the time without someone defending him and standing in his way isn't easy. Not sure who else does? There is flopping when you just fall all the time like Puke and there's a strategic get your position and take the hit for the team. Phil does that more often than not!

Reaction Score
Ok ok, maybe you guys are right. My recall of last season is sort of a blur due to rolling rocks and xanax so ill shut up now. Will be keeping an eye on this though.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Ok ok, maybe you guys are right. My recall of last season is sort of a blur due to rolling rocks and xanax so ill shut up now. Will be keeping an eye on this though.

Bryan, You just broke a BY cardinal rule. Never say, "maybe you are right". You fight like your mother's life depended on it for at least 3 pages and make sure you let the opposing posters know how incredibly stupid they are. :rolleyes:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
exhi 1, exhi 2 regs 1. deeza mensa claims season starts and balls rollin off of nollin hands so body blocks is good.

uconn football suks balls. putz nolan on o line to blox for de runners cauz nolan blox de runners charging to get scorz.

Ignoring Chap doesn't mean I don't sometimes want to take a hit. The 2nd set of the Rene McLean Sextet w/Gary Bartz at The Side Door in Old Lyme last night closed with about 5 solid minutes of pure free jazz after the band members were re-introduced, but I don't think my sweetie or theenthusiastic crowd would have wanted a night of it.

Reaction Score
The more he takes charges and the less he blocks shots, the more NBA scouts turn their heads.
Pretty sure he isn't and never will be on anyones radar at the next level.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Ignoring Chap doesn't mean I don't sometimes want to take a hit. The 2nd set of the Rene McLean s e xtet w/Gary Bartz at The Side Door in Old Lyme last night closed with about 5 solid minutes of pure free jazz after the band members were re-introduced, but I don't think my sweetie or theenthusiastic crowd would have wanted a night of it.
You ignore chap. sdhusky hates him with a passion because of chap's football opinions. sd gave me a shot across the bow commenting on my careless use of "season". I gave him one back!

Besides how many opportunities does one get to put putz in a sentence bridging it between balls, posters criticism of Nolan and football.

My second attempt was redundant. It basically stated how easy it became after the first sentence but writing that first sentence was a real bear attempting to make it chap like. In the second version I was referring to how addicting being cleverly stupid can become. Even as I wrote it I knew it was pedantic and proof that silly clever should be made in small doses.

Reaction Score
de 1st raked and braked dis brain. de second waz smood and ezy as d kemba step back brakes d anklets of mcg(he he he)

fare me makes and bakes rugula for d bowels only; fared april never scripz normle postz againz and againz.

eye seeks a chap(lain) for de chap (not elite athlete) sticks hexorcism.

I'm thinking this is the guy behind the above post. . .same accent. . .gotta be him. . .

300px-Swedish_poser.jpg

Reaction Score
check this: www. si.com/college-basketball/2014/09/11/best-college-basketball-team-no-national-championship

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
You ignore chap. sdhusky hates him with a passion because of chap's football opinions. sd gave me a shot across the bow commenting on my careless use of "season". I gave him one back!

Besides how many opportunities does one get to put putz in a sentence bridging it between balls, posters criticism of Nolan and football.

My second attempt was redundant. It basically stated how easy it became after the first sentence but writing that first sentence was a real bear attempting to make it chap like. In the second version I was referring to how addicting being cleverly stupid can become. Even as I wrote it I knew it was pedantic and proof that silly clever should be made in small doses.

Don't misunderstand, I enjoy an occasional Chap parody, and during times when I visit The Boneyard without signing in and run across posts by various people I ignore, I have no regrets but rather gratitude for the Ignore feature.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Don't misunderstand, I enjoy an occasional Chap parody, and during times when I visit The Boneyard without signing in and run across posts by various people I ignore, I have no regrets but rather gratitude for the Ignore feature.
No misunderstanding. Gave me an opportunity to explain some things.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
He is a space eater in the middle and he can give minutes that aren't totally painful. He should use his muscle to wear on other team' center. Nolan's main ability is to present himself in the middle on defense. He is not a shot blocker or great rebounder but he stands in the way. He sets a big pick and boxes out. He is a big body. He makes it harder for the other teams bigs to dominate the boards.
This allows little guys like Boat to pick up boards. He has a role to play and if used correctly he can help.

Reaction Score
He is a space eater in the middle and he can give minutes that aren't totally painful. He should use his muscle to wear on other team' center. Nolan's main ability is to present himself in the middle on defense. He is not a shot blocker or great rebounder but he stands in the way. He sets a big pick and boxes out. He is a big body. He makes it harder for the other teams bigs to dominate the boards.
This allows little guys like Boat to pick up boards. He has a role to play and if used correctly he can help.
That sounds great but he also has to play on the offensive side of the ball and on that side of things hes been downright offensive.

Reaction Score
That sounds great but he also has to play on the offensive side of the ball and on that side of things hes been downright offensive.

He's never been great on that end now has he? Call it "offensive" or just not that good. He sets a good pick and plays good on the defensive end for the most part - it's not like he's the first guy we've had who can't score but his mounts are nonetheless valuable?

Reaction Score
Sometimes I read a thread like this and I wonder if we're all watching the same games.

Reaction Score
If Nolan becomes the best backup Center in UConn history I'll be happy. He can contribute in ways that may not show up in the boxscore. As for his propensity to take charges, he just may win a game for us, or change momentum, in doing so.

Maybe our expectations (at least mine) were way too high. I will root for him when I watch him play and be glad that we have a sufficient backup that relieves Amida when in foul trouble or allow some experimentation with twin towers when needed. Not too many teams in the country have an experienced big man like Phil coming off the bench. We are lucky to have him.

Reaction Score
PN will always be a role player nothing more. Last year he was a role player aned only started because Brimah wasn't ready yet. His role is to play solid post defense and yes take those charges, which are not easy. He did great in the toruny playing post D. He sets screens well and can get defense rebounds once in a while. But thats it. He is not a scorer he can sometimes make a nice move but hardly ever finishes.

He would have played more but he got into foul trouble. He will play 15 minutes a game.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
PN will always be a role player nothing more. Last year he was a role player aned only started because Brimah wasn't ready yet. His role is to play solid post defense and yes take those charges, which are not easy. He did great in the toruny playing post D. He sets screens well and can get defense rebounds once in a while. But thats it. He is not a scorer he can sometimes make a nice move but hardly ever finishes.

He would have played more but he got into foul trouble. He will play 15 minutes a game.

Tell that to Gavin Edwards

Reaction Score
Phil Nolan is not, and likely never will be, a very good shot blocker. When he contests at the rim, he commits a foul virtually 100% of the time. When he gets himself in position to take charges, he commits a foul significantly less than 100% of the time, because he actually draws a ton of charges.

I've always loved the fact that Uconn seems to be one of the few programs that doesn't have guys flopping around and taking charges out there.....but it's a heck of a lot easier to tell your big guys to contest at the rim when your big guys are Okafor, Thabeet, Drummond, or Brimah. Nolan isn't good at it, so he's found another way to actually contribute on defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom