Nobody except Oregon wants to play in Bridgeport.. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Nobody except Oregon wants to play in Bridgeport..

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Assuming you're talking about the story in the Washington Post I don't recall Maryland (the team nor the fans) saying "we're not going to play well because UCONN will have too many fans".

I just saw a bunch of fans being disappointed more tickets weren't available.
In one of the news articles posted this morning by Husky Nan from the DiamondBack News, Brenda is quoted saying, "It's unfortunate. Obviously provides UConn a tremendous advantage."

So yes, Brenda and therefore MD are complaining in advance of the game.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
In one of the news articles posted this morning by Husky Nan from the DiamondBack News, Brenda is quoted saying, "It's unfortunate. Obviously provides UConn a tremendous advantage."

So yes, Brenda and therefore MD are complaining in advance of the game.

Yeah, but her kids say the right things. They like playing in front of hostile crowds and making them go silent. Brenda's mouth is always screwing up; her kids have it covered. They are coming to beat our butts.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I fly from Bradley to LAX and back 3-4 times a year. My son's house is actually an easy walk to UCLA. There's a one a day non stop on AA from Bradley It's usually under 5 hours heading east. Jet lag can be real and varies from person to person.
For teens and 20 year olds playing in the NCAA I'd think adrenaline overcomes some of that. Also game time (early afternoon) and arrival schedule have an impact . Are they coming in before Friday? I've also found that the idea of having to play UConn makes teams want to climb back into bed and hide under the sheets. Scientifically it's known as UConn lag.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yeah, but her kids say the right things. They like playing in front of hostile crowds and making them go silent. Brenda's mouth is always screwing up; her kids have it covered. They are coming to beat our butts.
Since I have tickets to the games, assuming that the Turtles get by the Ducks, I will be deeply disappointed that I will undoubtedly miss another stirring pregame speech by Brenda. :rolleyes:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I would love to Oregon win but they need to either score alot of points, hope MD gets in early foul trouble, or keeps the score in the low 60's or less, or all of the above. JMO as I see it.

With that said UConn is on a roll. They are in the right places at the right time, their defense is stifling and just shuts opponents down. In the AAC championship and against Cuse both athletic teams they steamrolled them. No reason to think it wont happen this weekend. I hear all this talk about who can score like UConn scores. Well MD can, but not against UConns defense. I dont think there is a team in WCBB that can score over 70 pts against UConns starters unless UConn is in foul trouble, but again what happens if UCLA Oregon or MD have foul trouble?

Reaction Score
Does UCLA not have the option of flying in a few days early to lessen any jet lag?

That's what I was thinking...Why not come early and adjust to the time lag? Maybe NBA and WNBA teams can provide some advice??

Reaction Score
Maryland will beat Oregon like tOSU did in the 2014 Natty and they know that, why wouldn't they be thinking about the Regional Final against Connecticut?

They should keep Tenn. vs. Alabama in mind. What was it the Tenn. players said after they lost? "We were looking past them."

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I would love to Oregon win but they need to either score alot of points, hope MD gets in early foul trouble, or keeps the score in the low 60's or less, or all of the above. JMO as I see it.

With that said UConn is on a roll. They are in the right places at the right time, their defense is stifling and just shuts opponents down. In the AAC championship and against Cuse both athletic teams they steamrolled them. No reason to think it wont happen this weekend. I hear all this talk about who can score like UConn scores. Well MD can, but not against UConns defense. I dont think there is a team in WCBB that can score over 70 pts against UConns starters unless UConn is in foul trouble, but again what happens if UCLA Oregon or MD have foul trouble?
Good points all. Worth remembering that before UConn was hamstrung on defense in the 4th qtr with both Gabby & Pheesa in foul trouble, the Huskies held "high scoring" MD to 53 points through the 1st three qtrs.

Reaction Score
Jet lag---rarely spoken of these days but it is an issue---and the issue is more felt west to east. For what ever reason the circadian rhythm is thrown off at least that is what a study by the US Military found.

Agree with your jet lag section. But, if that was/is a concern they fly out early enough to guard against it. Right?

Reaction Score
Good points all. Worth remembering that before UConn was hamstrung on defense in the 4th qtr with both Gabby & Pheesa in foul trouble, the Huskies held "high scoring" MD to 53 points through the 1st three qtrs.
and had a 19 or so point lead. Sure the final margin of victory was 6 points, but frankly, the game was not that close and some of the foul calls were rather questionable.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
They won't call a lot of fouls in the games, they tend to let them play through so the finals are usually pretty rough. That said, we didn't complain about playing in the Turtle Dome.

Embrace the challenge!

Reaction Score
Yea the US Army expect to fly large amounts of forces to Europe to block Soviet attacks-after they began--the 82 Airborne did the tests with jetlag and sleeplessness---and the experiment failed---wast to east--could be helped with adjusting the waking hours and sleeping hours--it helps a bit--interesting thing circadian rhythm shows 25 hours is the cycle to which humans are wired not 24
I read an article years ago about a study done where a bunch of people were in an underground facility with no clocks or access to radio, tv or sunlight. They had jobs to do but no time clocks etc. They only had to show up when they wanted and go home when they wanted. Eat whenever. I seem to remember they ended up having something like a 35 hour day.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I read an article years ago about a study done where a bunch of people were in an underground facility with no clocks or access to radio, tv or sunlight. They had jobs to do but no time clocks etc. They only had to show up when they wanted and go home when they wanted. Eat whenever. I seem to remember they ended up having something like a 35 hour day.
Reminds me of my brother-in-law for some reason.

Reaction Score
Yea that's the study--I worked with the Army's Walter Reed Army institute of Research, Psychophysicology Department and assisted in those studies --and that particular experiment was talked about--that's exactly the study I was referring to when I mentioned we are wired for 25 hours not 24. Thanks---that study is many many years old--thank you

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom