No XRM Visit = No Good | Page 3 | The Boneyard

No XRM Visit = No Good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Somebody said it over on UConnBall.com, but he and Ollie probably have talked and UConn is out of the hunt. Therefore, XRM doesn't want to use one of our 5 official visits when he knows he's gonna be a Nole or Illini.

I thank the kid for not taking one of our 5problem visits

Reaction Score
I can not remember (because I am old) how many times on this board we followed a kid for months because he had interest in UCONN and at the end of the day the staff- including JC (of course) would wind up with 4 out of 5 players that I had never heard of before. Following these kids is fun- but do not put too much on getting one kid or another.

DD came out of nowhere. Boat- last minute. Bazz reclassified and came on board. You never know.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I'm calling it right now. XRM goes to FSU and drags the freshly reclassified Wiggins with him.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
The same can be said on missing out on Channing Frye and ending up landing Emeka to fill our void at center.

I think it was Isaiah Fox, another U of A guy.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I guess the promise of a free umbrella was underwhelming.

Reaction Score
I wonder what in the hell happened after the in home and scheduling a visit that made him decide UConn was out. After that it seemed like we still had a chance.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I wonder what in the hell happened after the in home and scheduling a visit that made him decide UConn was out. After that it seemed like we still had a chance.

Maybe KO has the 5 kids he REALLY wants on campus visits and Parker trumped the X-Man (sorry...I hate the XRM tag)

Reaction Score
Xavier Rathan-Mayes Skipped UConn Visit to Study for SAT's, His Dad Says

Xavier Rathan-Mayes's father, Tharon Mayes, says that his son postponed his scheduled visit to UConn this weekend because "there were some extra things he wanted to take care of. He wanted to prepare for the SAT's. He really wants to do well on those."

Asked if he believes his son is still considering UConn, Tharon said: "Absolutely, yeah. He plans on making his decision soon. He's been up to UConn already, so it's not like he hasn't visited the school. He said he just wants some time to think about it. He says he's gonna surprise us."

Mayes went with his son to his trip to Illinois last weekend and said it was a "good trip for him." Mayes, of course, starred at Florida State back in the late-80's/early-90's, but insists he's not pushing his son towards any school.

"When he asks for (advice), I'll give it," Tharon said. "It's his experience, it's got to be his decision."
posted by David Borges at 10:53 AM

Reaction Score
I think it was Isaiah Fox, another U of A guy.
We missed on the Thompson kid who went to UNC, also Ike Diogu who went to Az st., another one from that Okafor year. if I recall correctly, we also lost Jamal Sampson to California, and we had Berkeley people telling us Steve Braun was the next great college coach and that Uconn was a has-been.

Reaction Score

Xavier Rathan-Mayes's father, Tharon Mayes, says that his son postponed his scheduled visit to UConn this weekend because "there were some extra things he wanted to take care of. He wanted to prepare for the SAT's. He really wants to do well on those."

Asked if he believes his son is still considering UConn, Tharon said: "Absolutely, yeah. He plans on making his decision soon. He's been up to UConn already, so it's not like he hasn't visited the school. He said he just wants some time to think about it. He says he's gonna surprise us."

Mayes went with his son to his trip to Illinois last weekend and said it was a "good trip for him." Mayes, of course, starred at Florida State back in the late-80's/early-90's, but insists he's not pushing his son towards any school.

"When he asks for (advice), I'll give it," Tharon said. "It's his experience, it's got to be his decision."

So you're saying there's a chance.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

If they didn't have all that respect for KO, they probably wouldn't have come up with such respectful sounding excuse.

Reaction Score
We missed on the Thompson kid who went to UNC, also Ike Diogu who went to Az st., another one from that Okafor year. if I recall correctly, we also lost Jamal Sampson to California, and we had Berkeley people telling us Steve Braun was the next great college coach and that Uconn was a has-been.
It was Isaiah Fox and Jamal Sampson that UConn missed on when they then got Okafor in the spring (all class of 2001). Ike Diogu was in the next year's class (class of 2002). I don't remember UConn being heavily involved with Channing Frye but I could be wrong.

Reaction Score
We still have Omar Calhoun in the bag. Now XRM becomes a pipe dream. But Jabari is still in the hunt. In a perfect world, Calhoun, XRM, and Jabari, not to mention the other great new guys like Facey and Samuels, will play together for UCONN. Should that happen, UCONN is champ for 2013-2015. And Ollie gets his 10-year contract like that guy from Butler. And I will relocate to Storrs.

Reaction Score

If this is the case, I feel a lot better about things. It also makes me feel good about XRM as far as the way he thinks. He obviously realizes he needs to get that qualifying SAT score to be eligable next fall. Of course I wish he was able to still take his visit, but since he's been here before, it's not as big a deal if he hadn't visited at all.

I like that his dad is pushing him one way or the other. I like our chances if he's being given advise but the ultimate decision is being left up to him. I'm not going to worry about this and just see how it plays out. It's not like all our back-and-forth on this makes any difference to the outcome, though I realize many enjoy kicking the tires as long as the car hasn't been sold to someone else.

Reaction Score
Question....so the NCAA is limiting us to 5 official visits...what is the number of visits normally?

Also, is this limit of 5 just for this year?

Reaction Score
He's not coming................so what? Neither did Bynum and many others (some even better). We still won Championships and BE Titles. Our program is bigger than one HS player. A little failure will embolden the coaching staff. Sometimes to get things too easy and too soon can cause complacency. This could be a good thing for our future, especially for Coach who surely doesn't like the word 'defeated' or the taste of disappointment.

That's my positive spin.
Um, I guess I have 2 reactions to this. first, Jim Calhoun was the coach when we won Championships. Jury is still out on Ollie.
2nd, not sure how this can be true. someone is not coming to UConn? Horrors!

Reaction Score
If they didn't have all that respect for KO, they probably wouldn't have come up with such respectful sounding excuse.
Stop it. Jim Calhoun was able to take his 2nd or 3rd choices and make them into NBA players. He was maybe one of the best coaches ever. There is no reason to assume Kevin Ollie can't do just what Calhoun could.

Reaction Score
He's not coming................so what? Neither did Bynum and many others (some even better). We still won Championships and BE Titles.

To pick on your Bynum example, he was a guy who would have been joining the most talented team in the country, and possibly the most talented UConn team in history (2005-06).

Right now we're looking for recruits to join a seriously under-manned team (by our standards).

Bynum would have been a luxury; a player of XRM's caliber, for next year, is a necessity.

Reaction Score
Bynum would have been a luxury; a player of XRM's caliber, for next year, is a necessity.

A guard of XRM's caliber is a necessity if Ryan Boatright leaves after this year. If Boatright comes back, I don't imagine our backcourt being much of a problem in 2013-2014.

So if anything, Ryan Boatright might have just been upgraded to Ollie's most important guard recruit for that class.

Reaction Score
Could Jackson going to ND have swayed Maye's to choose IL

Reaction Score
To pick on your Bynum example, he was a guy who would have been joining the most talented team in the country, and possibly the most talented UConn team in history (2005-06).

Right now we're looking for recruits to join a seriously under-manned team (by our standards).

Bynum may have been a bad example but my point is that if a top recruit doesn't choose us there is not much that can be done but regroup and move on to the next one. More importantly the disappointment and failure can have a positive effect in the long run if it causes a reaction that prevents further losses. Its like in sales, what did we do wrong, and what do we need to improve? If it was an easy sell then a by-product could be 'we don't need to change a thing' which can be detrimental in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom