No XL games until Fall 2021 | Page 9 | The Boneyard

No XL games until Fall 2021

Reaction Score
UConn had great interest not even 10 years ago so you’re wrong.
great interest, but not what it was previously. I noted things started sliding after the second championship, not a major drop in crowds, but they definitely thinned out with the exception of the marque match-ups.

Reaction Score
While we made 3 final fours and won 2 national championships fan support dropped after the 2006 season. I don't know why this is the case but if you look at attendance it started there.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Not sure if this is the case with XL also but I went to see Marvel Live the last two years in Bridgeport and wanted to throw up when I got to the final checkout and saw the fees. My $20/seat went to about $45/seat once I was putting in my credit card info.

Again, not sure if XL adds these fees but paying what I assume would be close to $80-100/seat in the nosebleeds after taxes and fees to see a mediocre college hoops game may turn off a lot of fringe/fairweather Husky fans.

Reaction Score
UConn had great interest not even 10 years ago so you’re wrong.
Look at the numbers, average attendance, % capacity etc and you will find that it just isn’t true. Solid interest absolutely. Great, not so much and on a downward trend for years.

Reaction Score
While we made 3 final fours and won 2 national championships fan support dropped after the 2006 season. I don't know why this is the case but if you look at attendance it started there.
I have a sense that the George Mason game, not exactly the loss but the whole attitude of the players and to a degree even Calhoun, sort of soured many people on the program. First there was laptop thing, then a team that struggled against decidedly middling completion in the tourney and seemed not to really care that much. I think at that point a big chunk of people just said the heck with it. Hard to explain really but I talk to people who refer to that game and the aftermath as what caused them to lose interest. Plus there is a general decline in both attendance and interest in college sports. Partly the professional leagues take all the oxygen out of the room. Partly I suspect some over exposure is occurred ( though going to Fox sports may cure that. Is that a real network?). Other factors are that the team hadn’t been that good. Two championships in a way masked a steady decline. Both had mediocre regular seasons. Truth be told neither 2011 nor 2024 were on many brackets. But UConn attendance pretty much peaked in2006 at almost 14000/game but has been going down consistently since.

Reaction Score
what barometer do you use?
I don't think there's any 1 good way to quantify it but I have very little interest in going to any UConn games and most of my friends are the same way. More enjoyable watching at home than from the stadium

Reaction Score
I don't know why people are still trying to use attendance numbers as an indicator of interest in the program
While there are some like you, attendance is a great indicator of interest in the program. If fans are going out of their way to attend games in person it shows they are heavily interested in the team.

Reaction Score
I have a sense that the George Mason game, not exactly the loss but the whole attitude of the players and to a degree even Calhoun, sort of soured many people on the program. First there was laptop thing, then a team that struggled against decidedly middling completion in the tourney and seemed not to really care that much. I think at that point a big chunk of people just said the heck with it. Hard to explain really but I talk to people who refer to that game and the aftermath as what caused them to lose interest. Plus there is a general decline in both attendance and interest in college sports. Partly the professional leagues take all the oxygen out of the room. Partly I suspect some over exposure is occurred ( though going to Fox sports may cure that. Is that a real network?). Other factors are that the team hadn’t been that good. Two championships in a way masked a steady decline. Both had mediocre regular seasons. Truth be told neither 2011 nor 2024 were on many brackets. But UConn attendance pretty much peaked in2006 at almost 14000/game but has been going down consistently since.
during that era the athletic department had really begun to take the fanbase for granted, particularly season ticket holders (in all sports, not just men's BB).

Reaction Score
during that era the athletic department had really begun to take the fanbase for granted, particularly season ticket holders (in all sports, not just men's BB).
what did they do to make you feel this way?

Reaction Score
While there are some like you, attendance is a great indicator of interest in the program. If fans are going out of their way to attend games in person it shows they are heavily interested in the team.
We'll have to agree to disagree here. There's a reason attendance has been declining in all sports for the past decade, regardless of whether teams are good or bad

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
what barometer do you use?
TV ratings, maybe. I know several former season ticketholders that follow UConn as much as ever but don't go to games anymore. Mostly due to the lousy way they were treated by the Athletic department over the years.

Reaction Score
TV ratings, maybe. I know several former season ticketholders that follow UConn as much as ever but don't go to games anymore. Mostly due to the lousy way they were treated by the Athletic department over the years.
Post #210

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
Attendance is an indicator of interest in the team. But it’s also 2020 and I can watch almost any sporting event on the planet for free on my laptop. I’m also pretty sure UConn athletics scored as a top college in the country in terms of social media engagement. Someone posted that on this board earlier this year.

Reaction Score
In 2004 my boss gave everyone an extended lunch hour to watch the Huskies in the first round of the Big East Tournament. AND bought lunch foe everyone at the joint across the street So we could all watch it. Today if you did that everyone would be fired and 1/2 the people wouldn’t go anyway...If you weren’t around or were not old enough to get involved you wouldn’t understand frankly. It’s fine but people don’t schedule weddings around UConn games any more. Guys don’t leave their wives at the hospital after the births of their kids to make tip off as not 1 but 3 guys in our section did between 1999 and 2004. Doubt there are many who drive up from Washington DC And back for midweek games against The New HampshireS of the world like several people I knew used to do. Games against the likes of UNH and Fairfield were sellouts, not just big games. It is not even close to what UConn’s support was between the Dream Season and 2006.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom