No XL games until Fall 2021 | Page 8 | The Boneyard

No XL games until Fall 2021

Reaction Score
Was amazed this thread was still going. It's interesting for me, moving away back in 1991, that was the last time I was in XL (which was still the Civic Center). I've been to games at Gampel since I moved to MA in 99, but not XL. As others said about the drive, Gampel ends up being 30 minutes closer for me (and even that is a haul). I went to all the PC games at the Dunk, which I think is fine. Looking forward to that again.

How bad is XL compared to the Dunk at this point? I don't think we need a luxurious mini-modern NBA arena, but something about 14k at max capacity, with clean, adequate bathrooms, decent sight lines and concessions. Chairs a modern fat butt can fit in.
I'm curious how your drive to Hartford is 30 minutes longer. I know we both live in Eastern MA. The difference in the 2 for me is exactly 10 minutes. That's just the drive. Would seem to be more but out of Hartford you're on I-84 in minutes while from campus it takes a while to get to I-84. Now whether parking and walking to the arena is much different, I haven't timed that but I'm guessing it's about the same for both places.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm curious how your drive to Hartford is 30 minutes longer. I know we both live in Eastern MA. The difference in the 2 for me is exactly 10 minutes. That's just the drive. Would seem to be more but out of Hartford you're on I-84 in minutes while from campus it takes a while to get to I-84. Now whether parking and walking to the arena is much different, I haven't timed that but I'm guessing it's about the same for both places.

It may just be perception. I haven't timed it. But still, if I'm doing the drive, it's nice to be on campus. I just appreciate that more. Would love more weekend day games.

Reaction Score
They went over the options on what to do with your money and how it relates to allowing fans inside Gampel.

Based on what they said, what was your read on there current thinking re: letting fans in Gampel?

Reaction Score
it’s so stunningly clear that you have no idea what you’re talking about.
Facts are stubborn things. Look at attendance stats. The fall off from say 2006 (13900+_) to 2010 (11,600) to 2011 (11,500) 2013 (10,500) are facts. You only had to go to games to see it. Late 90s through early 2000s games were packed. By 2010 you could generally get tix day of the game. You could certainly get scalps for face or less for any home game.

Reaction Score
That’s on par what they told me.
Agree. It was a lot of info. Not sure what I am doing yet because part of my ticket purchase includes 3 other guys in Hartford. Much of it has to do with how you would be willing to allocate your ticket price and/or seat fees and benefits you can get by doing whatever option you choose

Reaction Score
Facts are stubborn things. Look at attendance stats. The fall off from say 2006 (13900+_) to 2010 (11,600) to 2011 (11,500) 2013 (10,500) are facts. You only had to go to games to see it. Late 90s through early 2000s games were packed. By 2010 you could generally get tix day of the game. You could certainly get scalps for face or less for any home game.

yes, I’m aware. We all lived it. But you’re confusing/conflating two different things.

Is interest in UConn basketball the same as it was in the 90’s? No.

Will it be easier to sell tickets to games against a ranked Creighton, Xavier or Butler than it was again Tulsa, Tulane and ECU? Uh, yeah.

Reaction Score
yes, I’m aware. We all lived it. But you’re confusing/conflating two different things.

Is interest in UConn basketball the same as it was in the 90’s? No.

Will it be easier to sell tickets to games against a ranked Creighton, Xavier or Butler than it was again Tulsa, Tulane and ECU? Uh, yeah.
For about a year, yeah. Be the same as selling tickets to seeing see a ranked Houston or SMU. Look people are going to notice that a Syracuse, Louisville, West Virginia, Pitt aren’t walking through the door. And Georgetown and St Johns are not what they were in 1984. And Attendance had been declining for years. Well before leaving the Big East. From 2006-2011 average dropped by 3500/game. Sorry but Interest in UConn basketball peaked 15 years ago. That is reality. It’s ok but it isn’t what it was in 1995-2006. It isn’t Duke/UNC/Indiana/Kansas level. It is fine. Over the old Big East final years we went from top 20 in attendance to low 30s. Again that is reality. We have been hemorrhaging fans for 2 decades. For lots of reasons that games against Creighton and Seton Hall are not fixing.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
For about a year, yeah. Be the same as selling tickets to seeing see a ranked Houston or SMU. Look people are going to notice that a Syracuse, Louisville, West Virginia, Pitt aren’t walking through the door. And Georgetown and St Johns are not what they were in 1984. And Attendance had been declining for years. Well before leaving the Big East. From 2006-2011 average dropped by 3500/game. Sorry but Interest in UConn basketball peaked 15 years ago. That is reality. It’s ok but it isn’t what it was in 1995-2006. It isn’t Duke/UNC/Indiana/Kansas level. It is fine. Over the old Big East final years we went from top 20 in attendance to low 30s. Again that is reality. We have been hemorrhaging fans for 2 decades. For lots of reasons that games against Creighton and Seton Hall are not fixing.

I still think Gtown will pull a great crowd in CT and I expect UConn to put as many fans as allowed for games at SJU.
I actually think all the BE teams except DePaul will be a decent ticket for home games.

Reaction Score
Can somebody post the average attendance numbers for the last 5-10 years or so? Cameron Indoor basically sells out for every game, but the capacity is about 9,000. I would guess our average attendance between XL and Gampel is around 9,000. Also, I thought attendance has actually increased over the last couple seasons, and I think a lot of that has to do with the improvement on the court and better players that fans want to come out and see play. An example of this would be last season when we played NJIT in Hartford during Christmas week. IIRC, there was about 10,000 for that game, and that's a real solid number given the opponent and time of the game.

I really think people underestimate just how bad the American Athletic Conference was for UConn athletics, especially basketball. UConn started playing teams on a regular basis that absolutely nobody cared about, and the talent and level of play went down as the years went on. That was all a bad mix that hurt our attendance. If you inserted Duke, UK, KU, Indiana, Syracuse into our position by moving to the AAC in 2014, I guarantee they all take a hit in attendance numbers even if they were top 25 teams. The fact that we started playing poorly made our situation go from bad to worse. Now, we are headed back to the Big East, and our talent level is as good as its been in about 6-7 years. If Covid did not exist, and we were about to have a normal season, I guarantee the attendance numbers would have been great.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not sure. Personally I think students should have first priority.

I would think you could put 750-1000 students in Gampel in one area and fit another 1000-1500 outsiders spread out in other areas for a total closer to 2k-2.5k. That's about 20%-25%. Use separate entrances or entrance times to limit comingling between the groups.

Reaction Score
I would think you could put 750-1000 students in Gampel in one area and fit another 1000-1500 outsiders spread out in other areas for a total closer to 2k-2.5k. That's about 20%-25%. Use separate entrances or entrance times to limit comingling between the groups.
Thing to note. Students probably won't be on campus the first two months of the season.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Can someone give me the # for the uconn ticket rep? I know my guy Jamal was layed off recently.

Reaction Score
Awful news for Hartford. Can’t see many events at the Xl Center for a while. Terrible.

Reaction Score
UConn had great interest not even 10 years ago so you’re wrong.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom