No XL games until Fall 2021 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

No XL games until Fall 2021

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I don’t think the economics will support a new or massively renovated XL Center.

Probably not.
But the option of keeping the XL and constantly updating it doesn't make sense either. You get less and less return for the money you dump in to it.
Don't see it being razed and replacing it with nothing.

Reaction Score
It's kind of sad that so many of our fans prioritize drinking and over priced food over the actual game itself. Too bad if you'd have to drive 90 minutes to the middle of nowhere to see a basketball game, without alcohol. You could always go home, get drunk and yell at your TV for a couple hours and not have to worry about driving inebriated. Alcohol is such a lame excuse for Hartford games.

Reaction Score
It's kind of sad that so many of our fans prioritize drinking and over priced food over the actual game itself. Too bad if you'd have to drive 90 minutes to the middle of nowhere to see a basketball game, without alcohol. You could always go home, get drunk and yell at your TV for a couple hours and not have to worry about driving inebriated. Alcohol is such a lame excuse for Hartford games.
Its like they care more about drinking then the game itself.

You can stay home and drink. Save yourself a lot of money.

Reaction Score
Sorry (not sorry) that I like to have a beer while attending a live sporting event. Sorry that you don't like the XL, but quit acting like it's the seventh ring of hell.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Probably not.
But the option of keeping the XL and constantly updating it doesn't make sense either. You get less and less return for the money you dump in to it.
Don't see it being razed and replacing it with nothing.
Razed with something is probably the right answer. That something may not be another arena though.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Razed with something is probably the right answer. That something may not be another arena though.

So, build another arena somewhere else in Hartford or leave Hartford metro with nothing?

Reaction Score
I don’t think the economics will support a new or massively renovated XL Center.
This discussion proobabky looks a lot different if Hartford had a pro team. Building a new arena at that point would be a lot easier. So it seems like they’re sort of stuck in that middle ground.

CL82

Reaction Score
This discussion proobabky looks a lot different if Hartford had a pro team. Building a new arena at that point would be a lot easier. So it seems like they’re sort of stuck in that middle ground.
Fully agree. Hartford has a pro sports franchise playing at the XL Center, then it has revenue and is self supporting. UConn could pick and choose what games they want to play there and wouldn’t be locked in to a financially detrimental lease.

Reaction Score
We're not asking fans to drive a little further to see Tulsa and East Carolina anymore. If you don't want to drive to Gampel to see Seton Hall and Providence there will be 10,000 UConn fans ready to buy your ticket and go

Maybe - most of the time I can't get people to take the tickets for free. Big East with Villanova and Georgetown is one thing - I think this board really overestimates the passion for Seton Hall and Providence.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Maybe - most of the time I can't get people to take the tickets for free. Big East with Villanova and Georgetown is one thing - I think this board really overestimates the passion for Seton Hall and Providence.

I think a Top-15 Seton Hall or good Providence team becomes a good ticket.

Reaction Score
In the old real Big East there were soft tickets and hot tickets. It'll be the same thing with this new iteration Big East

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
A top 15 any team becomes a good ticket if we are also good.

Not going to get in to a pissing contest but it seemed like we had some AAC teams come in ranked and there still wasn't a full buzz. But I'm done with trying to remember AAC days correctly. Looking to the future and I agree any top-15 BE opponent should (eventually) get a great crowd.

Reaction Score
Sorry (not sorry) that I like to have a beer while attending a live sporting event. Sorry that you don't like the XL, but quit acting like it's the seventh ring of hell.
I’m with you. And obviously none of these folks claiming to hate the XL ever went to a game at the old Boston Garden. Absolute pit but had tradition unmatched by anyplace else. From the dead spot on the parquet floor to the undersized rink to the rats.

CL82

Reaction Score
I’m with you. And obviously none of these folks claiming to hate the XL ever went to a game at the old Boston Garden. Absolute pit but had tradition unmatched by anyplace else. From the dead spot on the parquet floor to the undersized rink to the rats.
Don’t forget the lichen hanging from the ceiling. And yeah, it was a magical place to see a game.

Reaction Score
Totally agree with this. I suspect after a year or two, the whole Big East thing will wear off and nobody is going to be begging for tickets to see Creighton and Xavier, never mind Providence and Seton Hall. People have this romantic memory of full xl and Gampel for games but honestly that wasnt the case. The dirty little secret in UConn basketball is that attendance has been declining for the better part of a decade BEFORE the American Athletic Conference. Every year between 2006 and 2013 attendance was down year over year. The AAC accelerated the trend but it was already well underway. The move to the NBE might have temporarily changed that dynamic but I doubt it was a long term thing. With Covid and a season of empty stands it might not change that much.

the other interesting thing is what this whole league change says about UConn fans. A huge percentage really aren’t UConn fans. Not sure what they are but they only attend against opponents they like/know. Don’t seem to go to see UConn. Crazy.

Reaction Score
Totally agree with this. I suspect after a year or two, the whole Big East thing will wear off and nobody is going to be begging for tickets to see Creighton and Xavier, never mind Providence and Seton Hall. People have this romantic memory of full xl and Gampel for games but honestly that wasnt the case. The dirty little secret in UConn basketball is that attendance has been declining for the better part of a decade BEFORE the American Athletic Conference. Every year between 2006 and 2013 attendance was down year over year. The AAC accelerated the trend but it was already well underway. The move to the NBE might have temporarily changed that dynamic but I doubt it was a long term thing. With Covid and a season of empty stands it might not change that much.

the other interesting thing is what this whole league change says about UConn fans. A huge percentage really aren’t UConn fans. Not sure what they are but they only attend against opponents they like/know. Don’t seem to go to see UConn. Crazy.

it’s so stunningly clear that you have no idea what you’re talking about.

Reaction Score
I’ve got a call scheduled with a UConn rep today about something regarding Gampel attendance. Will ask about XL refunds
Talked to them Friday. Be prepared for a lot of info

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Was amazed this thread was still going. It's interesting for me, moving away back in 1991, that was the last time I was in XL (which was still the Civic Center). I've been to games at Gampel since I moved to MA in 99, but not XL. As others said about the drive, Gampel ends up being 30 minutes closer for me (and even that is a haul). I went to all the PC games at the Dunk, which I think is fine. Looking forward to that again.

How bad is XL compared to the Dunk at this point? I don't think we need a luxurious mini-modern NBA arena, but something about 14k at max capacity, with clean, adequate bathrooms, decent sight lines and concessions. Chairs a modern fat butt can fit in.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom