No XL games until Fall 2021 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

No XL games until Fall 2021

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
I understand that Gampel is tougher for opponents (when students on-campus are engaged), but I prefer the XL for its geography and booze. Yes, it's dumpy, but I don't care. It would be a huge mistake to make all games at Gampel a permanent thing post-Covid, particularly between semesters in Dec/Jan when no students are on campus.
Bingo. Its all about geography. Booze is a bonus.

Let's face it. Storrs is in the middle of NOWHERE.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
If you weren't at the XL for the Syracuse and Georgetown games in January of 1990 you may not appreciate how loud and exciting that arena can be. We went to all games in both arenas from the mid-80's on and even opening night against St. Johns at Gampel wasn't as loud and electric as those two games......and many others, because the sheer difference in the numbers of fans (double with Gampel at 8240 capacity) added to all the promise of a great season in progress.

Of course, we were on the rise, not languishing in a bad league with odd start times, but you could feel the anticipation during warmups and as you got closer to game time. Introduction of starting lineups didn't need the phony bell ringing and the recording telling us to "get ready to rumble". We already were.
It was amazing! The Civic Center was a great venue for big games back then.

Since then though, the standards of a first class arena have changed, the building has aged considerably and Gampel’s capacity has increased to 10,167.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Sue Bird liked playing in the HCC because that meant a big game.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It was amazing! The Civic Center was a great venue for big games back then.
It still is. The steepness funnels all the sound onto the court. The main argument for Gampel is that it's on-campus. "XL sucks" is not a valid argument because Gampel sucks. It's much more uncomfortable than the XL. It's a bit ironic that our first year back in the Big East we have no XL. Because if we had no XL back then, we'd have no Big East.

Reaction Score
It still is. The steepness funnels all the sound onto the court. The main argument for Gampel is that it's on-campus. "XL sucks" is not a valid argument because Gampel sucks. It's much more uncomfortable than the XL. It's a bit ironic that our first year back in the Big East we have no XL. Because if we had no XL back then, we'd have no Big East.
the in-seat game experience at XL is decent enough - good sight lines for the most part, seats are physically comfortable, etc. It's the concourse area that's a disaster - I shudder to think how (god forbid) they'd evacuate that place during an emergency with those tight concourses. My particular pet peeve are the restrooms, I cannot believe those were ever adequate even when the building was new.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Sue Bird liked playing in the HCC because that meant a big game.

Sue Bird last played there 18 years ago.

My thought is the building is over 40 years old and the city, state and UConn keep dumping more money in to it with little to show. I would think a new 14k arena would be a better use of money.

Reaction Score
the in-seat game experience at XL is decent enough - good sight lines for the most part, seats are physically comfortable, etc. It's the concourse area that's a disaster - I shudder to think how (god forbid) they'd evacuate that place during an emergency with those tight concourses. My particular pet peeve are the restrooms, I cannot believe those were ever adequate even when the building was new.

Don’t forget the original hockey capacity was 10,507. Bathrooms were designed for a lower capacity. I don’t think they added bathrooms after the roof collapse.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
She played there this year, dipstick. That's where I got the quote.

And her quote from this year was referencing how she knows she is playing a big game in 2020 because it's at XL or she was reflecting on how she felt about games at XL while she was at UConn?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And her quote from this year was referencing how she knows she is playing a big game in 2020 because it's at XL or she was reflecting on how she felt about games at XL while she was at UConn?
So instead of admitting you were wrong you did some ex post facto research in a vain attempt to explain your factual error?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Lol, no.
You are kidding yourself if you think UConn gets a sniff with just the Field House. This was a City league. But we all know you kid yourself all the time.

CL82

Reaction Score
You are kidding yourself if you think UConn gets a sniff with just the Field House. This was a City league. But we all know you kid yourself all the time.
Nope, you’re wrong.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Nope, you’re wrong.
You do know that as soon as they rebuilt the HCC, the Big East wouldn't let UConn play league games in the Field House anymore, don't you?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So instead of admitting you were wrong you did some ex post facto research in a vain attempt to explain your factual error?

If that's what you want to take out of it, go for it. It's all yours.

However I am still curious if Sue's quote about XL meaning a big game was in reference to 2020 or when she suited up.for UConn.

Reaction Score
Sue Bird last played there 18 years ago.

My thought is the building is over 40 years old and the city, state and UConn keep dumping more money in to it with little to show. I would think a new 14k arena would be a better use of money.
The XL is very outdated, but at least the money they put into the place over the last 5 years made somewhat of a difference. I know it's still lipstick on a pig, but taking the doors off the concourse makes movement a lot easier. That bar area behind the student sections is a nice little thing as well. One big negative about the XL experience is the restroom situation. Those things are so small and ancient, and using them at half time or after the game is a 20 minute affair. To fix that, it would be a major renovation that would cost millions.

I prefer Gampel over XL 100% of the time, the extra 30 minute drive does not bother me. I don't think the XL Center is going anywhere, and I don't think the place will be renovated anytime soon. When it comes down to it, Id go see a game at the city dump if that's where we were playing, because supporting the team is all that matters.

CL82

Reaction Score
You do know that as soon as they rebuilt the HCC, the Big East wouldn't let UConn play league games in the Field House anymore, don't you?
Do you know that facility size wasn’t a criteria for Big East membership? Other than Saint Johns who else had 16,000 seat arena?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Do you know that facility size was in a criteria for biggest membership. Other than Saint Johns who else has 16,000 seat arena?
Nova, Creighton, Seton Hall, Georgetown and Marquette

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
I find it interesting that moving all games to gampel is such a hot topic on here but it's rarely mentioned anywhere else. Has anyone affiliated with the team ever publically bashed xl? I could care less where they play and really don't see a big difference between the two for big games.

CL82

Reaction Score
Nova, Creighton, Seton Hall, Georgetown and Marquette
We were talking about the start up of the Big East Marquette and Creighton weren’t members in 1979.

Georgetown played at MacDonough until 1981. It has a capacity of 2500. Seton Hall played at Walsh which is a capacity of 1655. Villanova split its games between the field house with a 1500 capacity and the Palestra which has the capacity of 8700. Gym capacity wasn’t a factor in choosing The original Big East teams. (FWIW, Connecticut’s Field House was on the larger side for arenas among original big east teams with a capacity of 4600.)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I find it interesting that moving all games to gampel is such a hot topic on here but it's rarely mentioned anywhere else. Has anyone affiliated with the team ever publically bashed xl? I could care less where they play and really don't see a big difference between the two for big games.
Hurley has taken some jabs at the building

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom