No Whaley | Page 3 | The Boneyard

No Whaley

Reaction Score
The recruiting has been great. But we need a stud PG recruit. The ceiling for a team led by Cole is probably the 2nd round. Maybe sweet 16. And obviously gaffney is not the answer. Jury still out in diggins.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but the fact that Cole of all people puts a cap on this team’s ceiling is not an observation I would make after these two games. If you think Cole is the problem we’re not watching the same team.

Reaction Score
I don't know how much the refs get paid. With people betting on the games when you see the call that fouled out Cole it is going to start to raise questions at some point. The same with the reviewed OOB on Cole against Auburn late in the corner. Ref slapping his knee saying it was off Cole when it never hit any knee and was off the Auburn guard's hand. Just incompetence? Or tilting the scale. Martin being shoved out of bounds no call. Same issue. I do not trust some of these refs. Period.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
After yesterday's game, I was mentally prepared to take 3rd place in Atlantis. But once the kids got a 5 point lead late today, not closing it out was inexcusable. Bad call on Cole, but that shouldn't have been allowed to determine the outcome. Just not heady play.

Hoping Hurley sees Gaff isn't a good 2nd option at PG and starts giving minutes to Sool or others. That Whaley was out all game also suggests that game could've turned in our favor with better D. Not worried longer term, except that this would've been a quality Q1 win.
Hurley didn’t throw the pass that Martin threw that was intercepted. Pretty sure that was not a result of bad coaching. I love how people know what Hurley had in mind.

Reaction Score
Kids fought hard to be up by 6 points, since then the dumb refs kept calling bull calls which brought Michigan State back. These refs caused us the game period.. I want to fight that ref who called a foul while he’s behind the players at a pretty far distance.
that so called ref could not have seen enough of that play to a foul..

Reaction Score
So I don’t need to add that Martin was clearly pushed out and Cole didn’t foul on that last foul, but can someone help me understand what happened when we were shooting FTs, I thought Sanogo had a lane violation but then MSU got 2 shots and the ball if I’m not mistaken??? What the H was that?

Reaction Score
Correction, Rasool...not Tasool.
We lost a tough game to a tough team without our toughest player after a tough night. I like our team at this point. We are top 20 with lots of potential. Definitely need some more ball handling and maturity in late game management. Not too upset over this but we should have won.
We need Rasool asap.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Hurley didn’t throw the pass that Martin threw that was intercepted. Pretty sure that was not a result of bad coaching. I love how people know what Hurley had in mind.
How did my comment elicit such venom? I never mentioned Hurley's coaching other than about Gaffney's PG abilities. I mentioned a lack of "heady play" down the stretch. Someone pee in your stuffing today?

Reaction Score
First half we just looked like we didn’t have any energy. Which, frankly, was understandable after that game yesterday with a 19 hour turnaround, 1 starter out and two others banged up. That they were able to come up with the energy to get to up 7 in the second half was quite impressive. The defense they played the second half,when they stopped giving up transition points, was incredibly impressive. That everything went wrong in the last 3 minutes — including calls but also losing focus on offense and allowing a fast break three point play on D — sucked. But the second half D was impressive.

More guys have to contribute. We’ve been getting 30 to 40 points from the bench regularly and today we got almost zilch. Polley not being able to score hurt a lot. Hawkins not playing like he did yesterday hurt. Gaffney and Akok have to be better or Johnson and Diggins need to get chances.

This team has a lot of upside. A little more than I might have thought at the beginning of the season. But we still need more consistency from some of the roll players and more of a half court offense. I think Hawkins and AJ’s continuing improvement will help the latter. But I think our defense and strength can win a lot of games.

Let’s see how they bounce back tomorrow.

Reaction Score
I was only able to listen to the game (traveling for the holiday), but even the guys covering the game were on the refs. Sounds like there was a lot of push offs underneath for rebounds that went uncalled. Did see the last 2 minutes. I know refs don't want to penalize a kid going for the ball, but intentional or not, if the contact leads to a turnover, then the call has to be made. Martin would not have landed out of bounds if the Spartan player didn't ride him out.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
How did my comment elicit such venom? I never mentioned Hurley's coaching other than about Gaffney's PG abilities. I mentioned a lack of "heady play" down the stretch. Someone pee in your stuffing today?
It was a general comment about comments in this thread about Hurley losing focus and other insights into his mind that nobody here has a clue about. I don’t have time to reply to all posts . Sorry if you think it was all aimed at you or that it was even “venomous.” Silly. I think someone peed in your gravy. Relax, it only basketball.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
. I want to fight that ref who called a foul while he’s behind the players at a pretty far distance
Jack Nicholson Reaction GIF

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Whaley was missing out there and it showed… gave up a lot of 50 50 balls and boards he usually gets.

Hurley has to give Hawkins more rope and Sanogo has to pass more. 2 assists on the year is unacceptable. He cannot be our go to guy either for a good offense. Even Emeka had Ben. The fact we were going to him for end of shot clock plays was mind blowing.

Reaction Score
When Gaffney gets in the "let's slow down and set things up" mode, we become an very average team; we stagnate and are not good at that pace of play. Before criticizing Gaffney, I wondered if he is just executing coach's instructions. I'm guessing, but it seems that is more of a Gaffney trait...or Cole would be doing it as well - he's not.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure the refs cost us the game but they have been really bad in our 2 games. and We got the benefit of a few calls in the Auburn game. Too many anticipated foul calls in both games while missing many obvious ones. Anyways while we should have won yesterday I’m still high on our guys And love this team. I expect them to bounce back today.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure the refs cost us the game but they have been really bad in our 2 games. and We got the benefit of a few calls in the Auburn game. Too many anticipated foul calls in both games while missing many obvious ones. Anyways while we should have won yesterday I’m still high on our guys And love this team. I expect them to bounce back today.

College games have runs and momentum changes, and poor plays by both teams are expected. If your standard is perfect execution you're in dreamland. While bad calls are also part of the game (college refs tend to be lousy), at the end of the day, it is hard for a group of officials to affect the outcome of a game more than they did yesterday.

Reaction Score
Have you ever passed out from exhaustion and then competed in a D1 sport 18 hours later? You can't be serious with this take.
He should be able to reviver and go at that age and level of conditioning unless he’s sick. I would assume he has the flu or something percolating.

Reaction Score
The recruiting has been great. But we need a stud PG recruit. The ceiling for a team led by Cole is probably the 2nd round. Maybe sweet 16. And obviously gaffney is not the answer. Jury still out in diggins.
No it is not.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom