no Uconn for X? [Merged Thread] | The Boneyard

no Uconn for X? [Merged Thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/news/_/id/71031/xylina-mcdaniel

Surprising after her dad's comments but if the decision is left up to her alone you have to respect that.
Well when Hunter wanted to go to UConn and her dad forced her to go to Duke, look at what eventually happened. You don't want to force a kid to go to a school. That said, her dad has more maturity and understnads the differences whereas she's a 17 year old who likes someplace else. Too bad but it happens.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Not surprising since she didn't verbal after the her visit and adding North Carolina to her list of official visits.

Wouldn't surprise me to see her end up at UNC and if so, she may not reach her full potential like most other UNC recruits.

Sure wish Geno had continued recruiting Bria Holmes instead of waiting on the X girl.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/news/_/id/71031/xylina-mcdaniel

Surprising after her dad's comments but if the decision is left up to her alone you have to respect that.

Maybe not so surprising. Her dad's comments surely revealed one of the big factors in her decision. I don't know which program (USC or UNC) would be better for her; neither program has done much lately. Hatchell is probably more likely to bring in some decent recruits.

In any event, good luck to the X-girl and I'll be following her development.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
or maybe she doesnt want to go up against the other UConn recruits as she mentioned (or as her dad said)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Good luck to X. Geno really liked her and must be disappointed.

Whether it was a confidence, playing time, or distance from home issue, she seems to be making a decision within her comfort zone. This is not too different from the Sara Hammond situation.

This leaves more of an opening for Taya Reimer and Stephanie Mavunga and also makes it important to pick up one of them or some other player with size in 2013. Mercedes Russell would be a nice option. :)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Sure wish Geno had continued recruiting Bria Holmes instead of waiting on the X girl.

One had nothing to do with the other. If Geno really wanted Bria Holmes he would have made her an offer. Geno was obviously willing to wait on Xylina's decision and prepared to close the book on 2012 either way.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Wishing her the best with whatever decision is right for her -- for basketball, her education and her happiness. I'm just disappointed we'll miss all the potential for clever local newspaper headlines playing off of the X.

HGN

Reaction Score
One had nothing to do with the other. If Geno really wanted Bria Holmes he would have made her an offer. Geno was obviously willing to wait on Xylina's decision and prepared to close the book on 2012 either way.
UConnCat , i am with you on this one. Though i am surprised by X-Girls decision, I can respect it. I think its the distance and her wanting to be in her own comfort zone. First Night might have also played into it , as well as watching a UConn practice. And knowing that her competition not only would include those on the floor , but also potentially Reimer and DeShields. Her father recognized that the competition would make her much better , but the younger X didn't see that. I wish her the best of luck.[/quote]

Reaction Score
Rich Elliot just posted a blog saying that Xylina did not drop UCONN. UCONN dropped Xylina. I think it is a good move. You don't want a girl that is that uncertain about wanting to come.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
From Rich:

UConn is [no] longer recruiting Xylina McDaniel, a 6-foot-1 forward from Blythewood, S.C., her AAU coach Roger Wiley confirmed today. She will now decide between North Carolina and South Carolina and will again visit North Carolina Sunday.

“From what I understand they talked to her high school coach and talked to her mom,’’ Wiley said. “Her dad is who I get the majority of my information from right now and basically he said he called up UConn and they said we decided to make it easy for Xylina since she was struggling with her decision and withdrew themselves from consideration.

“I think when they say that she’s struggling with making her decision … She’s a kid that doesn’t like to let people down. She’s just a very good kid. Recently, she said she was tired of the recruiting process and wanted to go ahead and make her decision. And then when I asked, `What’s your decision?’ She said, `I don’t know.’ So that will give you an idea. I kind of get the feeling that she wants people to back out and not have to make that decision. And I get feeling that’s exactly what UConn did.’’

Xylina was never an essential recruit for UConn but clearly a kid they really like. The kid is obviously struggling and by withdrawing UConn is making the decision she really wants to make anyway.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Best of luck to her - she is going to make one of the two Caroline schools very happy, indeed. Win some, lose some. I understood her dad's comments vis a vis playing time with other quality forwards around, but she might have her own ideas on that; then again, it could be a lot of other factors that weighed more heavily.... hard to say. Anyway, I hope she does well!

Edit: Hmmm, now reading Rich's blog, it seems a bit more complicated. In any event, I hope she does well and hope she is happy with either UNC or South Carolina. She does seem like a great kid.

HGN

Reaction Score
Rich Elliot just posted a blog saying that Xylina did not drop UCONN. UCONN dropped Xylina. I think it is a good move. You don't want a girl that is that uncertain about wanting to come.
Plus , we didnt need another uncertain player that would come and then change their minds later..........a la EDD , Samarie, etc...This positive move on UConn's part opens up another scholarship for a 2013 player. and thats a good class to have some available schollie's

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Plus , we didnt need another uncertain player that would come and then change their minds later..........a la EDD , Samarie, etc...This positive move on UConn's part opens up another scholarship for a 2013 player. and thats a good class to have some available schollie's

I'll say ..... ! :D

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
or maybe she doesnt want to go up against the other UConn recruits as she mentioned (or as her dad said)
I expect this is part of the equation, maybe mom, too, because we have had parents split before. Cancelling with Providence might have been an indicator of that, too.

Reaction Score
From Rich:

UConn is [no] longer recruiting Xylina McDaniel, a 6-foot-1 forward from Blythewood, S.C., her AAU coach Roger Wiley confirmed today. She will now decide between North Carolina and South Carolina and will again visit North Carolina Sunday.

“From what I understand they talked to her high school coach and talked to her mom,’’ Wiley said. “Her dad is who I get the majority of my information from right now and basically he said he called up UConn and they said we decided to make it easy for Xylina since she was struggling with her decision and withdrew themselves from consideration.

“I think when they say that she’s struggling with making her decision … She’s a kid that doesn’t like to let people down. She’s just a very good kid. Recently, she said she was tired of the recruiting process and wanted to go ahead and make her decision. And then when I asked, `What’s your decision?’ She said, `I don’t know.’ So that will give you an idea. I kind of get the feeling that she wants people to back out and not have to make that decision. And I get feeling that’s exactly what UConn did.’’

Xylina was never an essential recruit for UConn but clearly a kid they really like. The kid is obviously struggling and by withdrawing UConn is making the decision she really wants to make anyway.

I agree completely. I said she wouldn't come months ago, a littlle intimidated I think.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Not surprising since she didn't verbal after the her visit and adding North Carolina to her list of official visits.

Wouldn't surprise me to see her end up at UNC and if so, she may not reach her full potential like most other UNC recruits.

2012-13 Roster

Doty
Hartley
Dolson
Faris
KML
Stokes
Banks
Johnson
Engeln
Jefferson
Stewart
Tuck

You're kidding right?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
UConn is not for everyone.

Intimidated? A little unfair to say that IMO.

I agree and I didn't mean to imply that at all. We know she's struggling with her decision, but we don't know why. We know that UConn took the step of withdrawing after conversations with her parents and her HS coach. It sounds like UConn's withdrawal will free her up to make the decision she really wants to make. That's just a guess on my part.

Reaction Score
Well when Hunter wanted to go to UConn and her dad forced her to go to Duke, look at what eventually happened. You don't want to force a kid to go to a school. That said, her dad has more maturity and understnads the differences whereas she's a 17 year old who likes someplace else. Too bad but it happens.

Wrong. It was Dad who took the fall, but it was Mom who wanted her girl Brittany at Duke.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I agree and I didn't mean to imply that at all. We know she's struggling with her decision, but we don't know why. We know that UConn took the step of withdrawing after conversations with her parents and her HS coach. It sounds like UConn's withdrawal will free her up to make the decision she really wants to make. That's just a guess on my part.
Cat, I was replying to Sonny's post where he said he thought she was intimitated.

Sounds like she couldn't pull the trigger and Geno has said several times he wants players that WANT to come to UConn. She just wasn't sure, so they pulled out.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
One of the things that Geno Auriemma has said that really made an impression on me is that the thing that makes UConn girls special is that they WANT to play for UConn. Without knowing a lot of the details behind recruiting, that seems to be one of the biggest elements in UConn's decision to recruit a particular girl for the team. Obviously, they've made mistakes, a la Samarie Walker and EDD. But once they saw Xylina McDaniel's doubts and hesitation, I think they realized it was time to move on. Or at least that's the way it looks based on the information we've received today, including Rich Elliot's report.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom