No Timeline For Azzi’s Return | Page 2 | The Boneyard

No Timeline For Azzi’s Return

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The announcers speculated that Azzi knocked knees with a Georgetown player.

Personally, I thought her knee buckled on minimum contact. Given that her initial injury was a hyper-extended knee, it indicated to me that she was not quite ready for the rigors of competitive basketball.
Pretend you are right and this is it (Thats what it looked like to me as well) would the recovery process for this be restarting from scratch from the original hyper extension or is just more recovery time starting from where she was? Not sure if you know but if you did insight would be helpful.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
It was an intentional push, not accidental. The player may not have intended to hurt Azzi but she definitely intended to push Aaliyah. There is enough unnecessary uncalled physicality in the game. We don't need that kind of non-basketball play also.
Given the amount of times Aaliyah gets "knocked down," we don't really know how hard she was pushed. Was she just trying to draw a foul? Given Aaliyah's size and strength, it seems to me it would be pretty difficult to knock her off her feet.

It reminds me of soccer players, and who goes down legitimately. Having played a little, I can tell you having your feet stepped on by another player wearing cleats, or someone kicking at you feet and legs with full force, it really, really hurts. ( Sorry for going off on a tangent.)

Reaction Score
Just terrible. Husky Nan elsewhere linked to an article from Hearst stating that "the (UConn) program was becoming increasingly protective" regarding information about players' injuries. I suspect that they're not becoming protective of information about players' injuries, but are becoming very secretive as injuries mount. All last year they continued to refer to Ducharmes' concussion as a "head injury." The fact that she suffered another concussion and that she's been out for weeks dealing with the continuing effects of the most recent concussion suggests how serious it is.

UConn has yet to explain what injury Azzi actually suffered to her knee. And before everyone go all HIPPA, university programs routinely disclose what injuries have been incurred by what players. Not national security.

"The program" is being secretive. And I suspect it's not to protect the players.

I hope that Azzi is getting the very best medical advice and treatment, and that she and the program are following it. I hope all the injured players get well as soon as they can.

Reaction Score
Given the amount of times Aaliyah gets "knocked down," we don't really know how hard she was pushed. Was she just trying to draw a foul? Given Aaliyah's size and strength, it seems to me it would be pretty difficult to knock her off her feet.

It reminds me of soccer players, and who goes down legitimately. Having played a little, I can tell you having your feet stepped on by another player wearing cleats, or someone kicking at you feet and legs with full force, it really, really hurts. ( Sorry for going off on a tangent.)
Did you see the play? It was a player bigger than Aaliyah fulling shoving her with both arms at a run. They called a foul.

Reaction Score
This puts so much more pressure on already exhausted Lou and Muhl. Caroline was in sweats and not cleared to warmup with team on Tuesday.

Reaction Score
So we move on. Updates on CD and Patterson, or we just wait until Saturday and see who is on the bench in uniform, and then we wait till Monday and see who is on the bench in uniform. Soooooo depressing. As noted above, two of the best and we have yet to see them really play together with both in good health.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

Not quite sure what this announcement means, other than UConn has nothing to tell us at this time. Like others, the 2nd injury to Azzi’s knee concerns me because it was such a minor bump, the kind that probably takes place 100+ times a game, without resulting in a player being injured and unable to play.

We are all going to have to respect the fact that Azzi, her family and the University do not want to provide more details on the injury and hope for the best.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I disagree. Of course we were without Paige and #4 recruit, Ice Brady, but the way they played against Texas, NC State and Iowa (the latter two without Dorka) proved that this team’s ceiling was high.
Really? Compared to the season we anticipated? I noticed you didn't mention the way they played against ND or Maryland. I think I know the color of the sky in your world: Husky Blue.

Reaction Score
We need one more player ready for DePaul so they get some/any playing time before Thursday. Seems in pro football qb gets head smashed, they miss one game and are back. I guess each person is different, how much they are hurt and how fast they recover.

Reaction Score
Really? Compared to the season we anticipated? I noticed you didn't mention the way they played against ND or Maryland. I think I know the color of the sky in your world: Husky Blue.
When we didn't have Azzi. I thought with Azzi we were clearly the best team in the country this year. And that was without Dorka. Unfortunate we could never get the pieces together at once.

Reaction Score
This puts so much more pressure on already exhausted Lou and Muhl. Caroline was in sweats and not cleared to warmup with team on Tuesday.
I don't think this is necessarily true. Caroline has never warmed up unless she was playing. Not every player choose too or had to warm up with the team before they play, its quite unusual in my experience.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Alexa in ESPN wrote:

UConn sophomore guard Azzi Fudd will miss more time after reinjuring her right knee Sunday against Georgetown, one game after she had returned from a 5½ week absence from the initial injury, the program announced.

No timeline was released for Fudd's return.

Perhaps Alexa is privy to more info than us but I don't think
the UConn announcement said that.

Reaction Score
I think he had reasons for leaving Notre Dame and MD out. ND - no Dorka and this is the game Azzi was injured in, played 13 minutes, team shook up. MD - no Dorka, no Muhl. With those 2 I think we beat MD. For ND, give us Dorka, have us used to Azzi out, AG fully integrated and I think we have a good chance to win. Still another step up to beat SC, but we should not face them until final 4, we give it our best and see how it goes. And, maybe no Azzi for TN, maybe not for SC, but hopefully back before the big east Tourney. At this point we don't know. This team has a lot of fight.

Reaction Score
One of most painful injuries I had playing BB was some players knee hit mine. I thought I was gonna die and I've had dislocated fingers and broken ribs and a hyper-extended knee but nothing hurt worse than that. There wasnt much damaged just a lot of pain but I wasn't just recovering from an injury in the same leg so they might be keeping her out to be sure its not re-damaged.

Reaction Score

To say the team without Paige was “doomed before it even started” is an insult to the rest of the team, tbh. We saw how they matched up against Top-10 talent with an almost healthy team, 3-0 prior to the injuries.

As far as ND/Maryland, being down 3 starters as opposed to 1 (including the National leader in assists and a Top 5 scorer in the country) is clearly a bigger difference.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I think he had reasons for leaving Notre Dame and MD out. ND - no Dorka and this is the game Azzi was injured in, played 13 minutes, team shook up. MD - no Dorka, no Muhl. With those 2 I think we beat MD. For ND, give us Dorka, have us used to Azzi out, AG fully integrated and I think we have a good chance to win. Still another step up to beat SC, but we should not face them until final 4, we give it our best and see how it goes. And, maybe no Azzi for TN, maybe not for SC, but hopefully back before the big east Tourney. At this point we don't know. This team has a lot of fight.
Valid points. But I would counter that Texas, Iowa, and NC State were all overrated when we played them. They are all ranked lower now than when we played them. Either way, it will still be interesting to see how the season plays out. Who anticipated that LSU and Ohio State would still be undefeated at this point?

Reaction Score
For all we know Fudd will play tomorrow.
I don't think so otherwise they wouldn't have given this non update. However i do think it's true that this is a non-update, we already knew she re-injured her knee it was on live TV. What we have been wondering is how severely. Still have no idea on that.

It also bears repeating that the school didn't say there was no timetable for return, they just didn't give the media the time table for her return.

Reaction Score
We need to put Lou (heck, maybe all of them) in bubble wrap...

Reaction Score
Worth mentioning that on twitter Dan Connelly mentioned there will be pregame availability later today from Geno. Likely to hear a bit more information, even if not specifics on Fudd. Hopefully there will also be some type of update on Patterson and Ducharme and their progress through the concussion protocol.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Not surprised by this news. I wish Azzi all the best and I hope she recovers fully.

But, I've had both knees operated on twice. From my perspective, your knees are never quite the same. I have backpacked the Appalachians and the Sangre de Cristo mountain range in New Mexico. On every trip, I had braces on my knees, the ones with the steel braves running down both sides of the knee. I needed the stability that injuries and operations took away.

Today I bike regularly. I wear compression knee sleeves every time out.

Just my perspective.

Reaction Score
Ok, I take this to mean that no time-line will be made public which is in accordance with the statements made by AD Benedict and posted here by @HuskyNan on January 8th. :eek:
I take it to mean she got a diagnosis, her and her family sought a second opinion (reason she didn't travel on Tuesday). And now Azzi has options for treatment from which she will make a choice.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
She bumped into one of the Georgetown players coming through the lane and banged/knocked knees
Knees can be banged from the front or side. In either case it’s very painful. I speak from experience. Anyone unsure of how the injury occurred need only to watch a replay.

It appeared to me that her knee was buckled inward. I believe it was the same knee (right) she injured recently when Aaliyah Edwards fell backwards onto her knee. If so, it means that the prior injury was reaggravated. I think Ayanna and Caroline may return before Azzi. If it was a minor “tweak”, Azzi would have been back by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom