No Timeline For Azzi’s Return | Page 4 | The Boneyard

No Timeline For Azzi’s Return

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Great news. It's probably a sprain of a ligament. Hopefully we will see her in March.
Honestly, I hope not. It will be too late to develop any offensive chemistry and she won't be in game or playing shape having missed 3 months. Just let her heal for next year and move on this season with what we have.

Reaction Score
Even if she could, she wouldn't.
Why not? Do you really think she will make more money in the WNBA? She will have less visibility and therefore less sponsorship money and she's not going to make much from the teams themselves.

This isn't mens sports where a one year pro salary is life changing. It will take her 3-5 year in the league at least to make as much as top womens basketball athletes make.

She can't redshirt anyways so its null in void but it silly to think she wouldn't.

Reaction Score
CONNCAN, I would give you 100 likes for this post if I could. They showed what they can do when they are completely and totally in sync against Seton Hall. They would have beaten anybody THAT night. Great post!!!
Ditto what he said!

Reaction Score
It was KK Bransford from ND, and no foul was called.
I stand corrected...there was no mention of a foul by either announcer, but the number of fouls for ND immediately changed to 2 before play resumed. My apologies.

Reaction Score
I agree with CONNCAN. The seven players left know what has to be done. Also agree that the starting 5 are as good as most teams. I have seen every team play in the top 10 several times. Of course, South Carolina is the best right now. Stanford is good, but can be beat. In regards to being tired--I am not buying it as a whole. This week the team was in NJ and had good sub minutes. UConn is now on 3 days rest (Geno said practices are being adjusted down) and they play an easy game at home with Butler. They also will be home until next Wed./Thursday depending on Travel. IMO they can be rested and ready for Tennessee. Not counting South Carolina, the Big East schedule is not that harrowing. Many of the games against the lower level teams can bring more rest to the starters. Amari can give each big a few minutes rest and Ines can sub for the guards. Lou seems to be the frailest of the starting 5, but I would think when Lou was at Fairfield she was doubled and hounded every minute of every game. At 6'1 she is tall enough and definitely smart enough to get through this. These are 20 year old athletes, Geno trains them to play 40 minutes every game if necessary. Will it be tough? Yes. But these players are warriors and are willing and able to rumble.

Reaction Score
They’d tell you if she needed surgery.

I think she will be back this season. Dropping the ‘NO TIMETABLE’ nuke takes all the pressure off both her and the coaching staff to make something happen. This was the correct response.
I would guess the medical staff are waiting to see how her knee responds over the next few weeks. It's entirely likely that her physicians are unsure if surgery will be advisable or not. UConn has been very circumspect in discussing her situation. Being immobile also delays her return. Whenever she gets the medical green light, it will still be awhile before she gets back in BB shape. She's probably not even able to ride a stationary bike for cardiac fitness.

Reaction Score
Not good news. I was hoping for a bruise/contusion, but it sounds like some ligament stretching/damage occurred. It comes down to mid-March anyway, but team chemistry is needed before then. Hope she can be near 100% by then (with CD as well). A healthy 7 (Azzi, CD, AE, Lou, Nika, AG, Dorka) is needed to make a serious run for a Title, imo.

JBK

Reaction Score
For all we know Fudd will play tomorrow.
I know we sure hope so !!! I know it is only year 2 of I hope 4, but it may be hard for a WNBA team to draft Azzi, when light contact can sideline her for months. I believe she is one of the best female shooter ever to play, but it is coming at a high cost

Reaction Score
I agree with CONNCAN. The seven players left know what has to be done. Also agree that the starting 5 are as good as most teams. I have seen every team play in the top 10 several times. Of course, South Carolina is the best right now. Stanford is good, but can be beat. In regards to being tired--I am not buying it as a whole. This week the team was in NJ and had good sub minutes. UConn is now on 3 days rest (Geno said practices are being adjusted down) and they play an easy game at home with Butler. They also will be home until next Wed./Thursday depending on Travel. IMO they can be rested and ready for Tennessee. Not counting South Carolina, the Big East schedule is not that harrowing. Many of the games against the lower level teams can bring more rest to the starters. Amari can give each big a few minutes rest and Ines can sub for the guards. Lou seems to be the frailest of the starting 5, but I would think when Lou was at Fairfield she was doubled and hounded every minute of every game. At 6'1 she is tall enough and definitely smart enough to get through this. These are 20 year old athletes, Geno trains them to play 40 minutes every game if necessary. Will it be tough? Yes. But these players are warriors and are willing and able to rumble.
We can't forget about Caroline and Ayanna going forward either. Caroline can be a huge factor in the Big Dance or even before and she makes our 3 position the best in the country with Aubrey. We can win it all with Azzi because she adds that scoring punch that can break a game open but I also like our chances without her provided CD and Ay return. I think we may see Ayanna tomorrow. She did warm ups at Seton Hall.

Reaction Score
Great news. It's probably a sprain1 of a ligament. Hopefully we will see her in March.
When you “sprain” a ligament you have tears in it. The higher Degree sprain then the more tears are present. …….The starting 5 will need to log a ton of time in the tough games. We can only hope Ayanna comes back soon. I think CD has a much more complicated path back to playing and AZzi s return is anyones best guess

Reaction Score
Aaliyah knew Azzi was there and would not flop with her there . She was picking for her. The defender was trying to get to Azzi and pushed her with both arms. I think it was pretty clear. The referees allowed everything that game and that encourages these kinds of plays.
KK Bransford is not bigger than Aaliyah Edwards.
She did not push her with both arms.
She was running to close out on Azzi and Aaliyah slid to set a pick as a player was running.
Unfortunate, but please stop acting like she ran up toward a stationary Aaliyah and threw her into someone.

Reaction Score
You're right: you are not a doctor, and you are doing a tremendous amount of speculating, speculation that presumably brings into question the credibility and ethical practices of medical professionals that you don't even know. Regardless of your good eyes and common sense, your conjecture and innuendo are based upon little or no cogent evidentiary medical data. No, it's not speculation on my part when I say that your assessment and diagnosis of a concussion by simple observation via TV, wow, that's pretty flimsy and baseless rumor mill... True, you might be correct when you say that the some think the medical staff can do no wrong--you on the other hand, seem to think they can do no right...

Reaction Score
Poor Azzi! She just can’t catch a break, and neither can our Huskies. I guess we have to pray for the best but plan for the worst in terms of having her back this year.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
We need to put Lou (heck, maybe all of them) in bubble wrap...
Azzi and Caroline for sure. A hockey style helmet for Caroline wouldn't hurt. :D

1674247884819.png

Reaction Score
When you “sprain” a ligament you have tears in it. The higher Degree sprain then the more tears are present. …….The starting 5 will need to log a ton of time in the tough games. We can only hope Ayanna comes back soon. I think CD has a much more complicated path back to playing and AZzi s return is anyones best guess
You are correct. I would say strain instead.

Reaction Score
"No timeline will be released" seems UConn code for "she is badly injured, she won't return to play this season, and she will shortly have major surgery on her knee."
I don't think that's true. The release said there were no tears and that surgery was not needed.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Azzi Fudd has bad knees. We knew that when she came to Uconn. Unfortunately, she will never, ever be all that she be because in D1 basketball the player's knees are always in jeopardy; or likely, possibly available to be banged, or stretched, or twisted etc. Also, Azzi is not a player to play through a minor injury. She is a prissy player not likely to play through a minor injury. I don't think we will see much more of her at Uconn. This knee problem will follow he into the WNBA. She likely, will be limited as a pro and will be a player who had great promise but was injured in HS and who never achieves the promise that her talent suggested. Luckily, we'll have KK Arnold, Ashlynn Shade and Allie Z in upcoming years to restore our faith in talented players. But I'm off the Azzi Fudd train......
"Prissy player"??? And with what medical credentials do you describe this as a "minor injury"?

I resent being expected to explain why a post such as this got a red thumb from me.

Reaction Score
Very worrisome for both Paige and Azzi. Seems like the probability of recurring knee injuries is much, much higher for women than men BB players. Not sure what the solution is, but it seems training/strengthening/protection is needed at the high school level for these players.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Azzi Fudd has bad knees. We knew that when she came to Uconn. Unfortunately, she will never, ever be all that she be because in D1 basketball the player's knees are always in jeopardy; or likely, possibly available to be banged, or stretched, or twisted etc. Also, Azzi is not a player to play through a minor injury. She is a prissy player not likely to play through a minor injury. I don't think we will see much more of her at Uconn. This knee problem will follow he into the WNBA. She likely, will be limited as a pro and will be a player who had great promise but was injured in HS and who never achieves the promise that her talent suggested. Luckily, we'll have KK Arnold, Ashlynn Shade and Allie Z in upcoming years to restore our faith in talented players. But I'm off the Azzi Fudd train......
TYFYIIUCWBB. J-sus. These are kids. Knees are funny things. Some injuries look bad and they're not, and vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom