No Tenn game in 2015 more to come | Page 2 | The Boneyard

No Tenn game in 2015 more to come

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I would like to get some Big 12 teams on the schedule. Kansas, KState, Baylor, Iowa State, schools like that aren't too snooty. Maybe some B1G schools as well.

This is where Diaco needs to make some calls...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Tennessee can cancel this thing and write us a check any time they please - there is no keeping "Tennessee on the line".

Remember when we played hardball with the Notre Dame contract?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I don't think Warde gets credit for "keeping" the Michigan game.

Michigan had a buy out they could have exercised and they didn't.

I don't believe Michigan is in the business of doing favors for UConn on matters where they stand to lose financially.

Either it wasn't financially prudent for Michigan to cancel the game ( doubtful considering their stadium size and low allthings considered buy out), they couldn't find a suitable replacement game ( plausible) or they threw a bone to northeast alumni and played the game ( likely).

I wouldn't have faulted WM had Michigan cancelled the game as it was out of his hands, but by the same token how can you give him credit for it either?

Reaction Score
Tennessee can cancel this thing and write us a check any time they please - there is no keeping "Tennessee on the line".

This. Honestly, never thought this series would ever happen. We are just a low priority in their scheduling regardless of conference affiliation.

Reaction Score
I don't think Warde gets credit for "keeping" the Michigan game.

Michigan had a buy out they could have exercised and they didn't.

I don't believe Michigan is in the business of doing favors for UConn on matters where they stand to lose financially.

Either it wasn't financially prudent for Michigan to cancel the game ( doubtful considering their stadium size and low allthings considered buy out), they couldn't find a suitable replacement game ( plausible) or they threw a bone to northeast alumni and played the game ( likely).

I wouldn't have faulted WM had Michigan cancelled the game as it was out of his hands, but by the same token how can you give him credit for it either?

I give credit to Michigan. I remember their AD saying something about how canceling games isn't the way they prefer to do business.

Reaction Score
I give credit to Michigan. I remember their AD saying something about how canceling games isn't the way they prefer to do business.
They sure as hell tried to not play it at the Rent though

Reaction Score
Well, a quick peruse of fbschedules.com has me more confused than ever. This site lists us as having a home and home with University of New Jersey in 2016 and 2017.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/big-ten/rutgers-scarlet-knights.php

But no matter what, this leaves us openings in 2015 and 2016 to matchup with some old familiars from New England, New York, New Jersey and I notice as well, that Penn State appears to have some openings as well in 2015 and 2016.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
HFD just posted the OOC schedules from some of our AAC opponents.

A lot of P5 games and a lot of them are high level P5 names.

A lot of schools have more recruiting advantages and exposure to offer in fertile grounds but the fact is were getting killed in our OOC.

Reaction Score

Please replace the word "canceling" with "buying their way out of" and read it back again. I'm pretty sure David Brandon's math was the biggest factor in honoring the return game portion of the contract.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
A certain Tweeter, recognized around these parts, is going crazy. 54 Tweets in the last hour.

Reaction Score
Husky25 said:
A certain Tweeter, recognized around these parts, is going crazy. 54 Tweets in the last hour.

Where do I find him again? Can't remember his twitter handle.

Reaction Score
Please replace the word "canceling" with "buying their way out of" and read it back again. I'm pretty sure David Brandon's math was the biggest factor in honoring the return game portion of the contract.

That was coming off of the heels of ND canceling a bunch of games with them, I tend to think Michigan would have avoided doing something similarly unsavory.

Reaction Score
If I was being optimistic I would say that the SEC is moving to a 9 game schedule for 2015 so they are moving the UCONN away game to a later date.
If I was being pessimistic I would probably think they wanted to push back the away game for them so they can buy it out after the first game in the series.
Following the trend of conference realignment it's probably the latter.

Reaction Score
Let's go get someone better. If we have to replace a game vs Stony Brook or Nova to do so; so be it. Clearly playing nicely isn't the way its done in big time football.

Reaction Score
I know this won't stop the hand-wringing on this site, but as of right now the series is "postponed". If it was cancelled, we'd know the buyout amount that Tennessee is paying us.

Reaction Score
HFD is a lunatic.

I'm not happy about our OOC, but the school's OOC that he keeps posting all have 1 or 2 things in common.

1) Fertile recruiting grounds and/or 2) the P5 teams they are playing are located in the SAME DAMN STATE.

Reaction Score
catintinfoil.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
First, being a cat I never come when called but let me state the obvious...

1) Who is the SEC's main rival? The B1G.
2) SEC teams don't schedule to help the B1G and certainly don't have home and homes against them. Thus,
3) UConn will be in the B1G by the fall of 2015.
QED
Need to get more than 20,000 fannies in the seats. Not happening no matter what the record is. Hope I am wrong.

Reaction Score
NHRJimFuller3:40pm via TweetDeck
#UConn said AD Warde Manuel is in communication with Tennessee to discuss new dates by 9/26/2015

EdDaigneault3:40pm via TweetDeck
UConn says Manuel and Tennessee AD Dave Hart had been discussing the suspension of the series for a few months.

EdDaigneault3:43pm via TweetDeck
Optimistic view says the change was UConn willing to accomodate a change in Tenn's sked. Pessimistic view? Well, you know.

NHRJimFuller5:28pm via TweetDeck
Tennessee AD Dave Hart asked #UConn's Warde Manuel about suspending FB series so Vols could open '15 season w/game in Nashville

Reaction Score
We've now got holes in the 2015 and 2016 schedules that were occupied by Tennessee since 2008. Those slots got to get filled, and like it or not, Manuel is going to get judged by the quality of opponent that he brings. The football schedules he inherited at UCONN, from Hathaway were a mess, and vacant, and the conference restructure didn't help. With that said. Independants BYU and Army....... Boise State name recognition. Villanova, Stony Brook local tier down. While these things are great, and worked out to balance a decent schedule that was completely empty a year ago......these are no brainers for scheduling to fill out the mess that he inherited. A year ago, from right now, we had ZERO games on the OOC schedule for 2014.

As frucking lunatic as HFD is/was - he's not wrong, in that Manuel, to date, hasn't put any program on the future schedules from a former BCS-AQ conference. How these 2015-2016 dates that are now vacant get filled.......well, I'm interested to see.

Reaction Score

That's one way to look at it, but in college football, your rep is all you got. A smart guy, which Manuel, does actually strike me to be, could very well be able to play this thing well in our favor. By agreeing to open up two pretty big holes in our 2015 and 2016 schedules to accommodate the relatively new AD at Tennessee, and avoid writing checks, and that kind of thing (and remember - there is a history between the athletic departments at Tennessee and UCONN)......this kind of thing can hopefully turn into some kind of favor that can be returned later when it comes to the business interactions of intercollegiate athletics.

Let's just hope that it's a favor that turns into something good for UCONN, and not for Warde Manuel.

I'm very curious to see what kind of filler we get in 2015 and 2016 for the spots that had been reserved for Tennessee since 2008. The schedules Manuel inherited were a mess, but given what's out there about this, this isn't Florida State losing West Virginia and having to replace them with Savannah State and having a fit about it. This apparently has been known for some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom