No Tenn game in 2015 more to come | Page 3 | The Boneyard

No Tenn game in 2015 more to come

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Look at diaco recruiting areas and start there.
Rutgers
Penn st
Pitt
Maryland
Virginia
Va tech
Try for a couple of these - I know some are pipe dreams​

Reaction Score
I seem to remember WM saying in October or so that he would be working at fever pitch on OOC scheduling once the season was over. Well, this announcement is giving ME a fever.

Reaction Score
Here's the positive spin, our 2015 schedule just got easier and we weren't going to qualify for the final four even if we beat Tennessee.

Actually, this sucks sucks sucks.

Reaction Score
I'm shocked by this. Shocked I say. And Warde was interviewing for VTech job knowing this game was a goner. He's sees the writing. I said it before in the "Warde beef up Schedule" thread...it is very possible Uconn never plays a game at the Rent again against a ranked team. Certainly not one versus a P5 team. There is no incentive to play in tiny stadium in a non-fertile recruiting area. Maybe you get a game vs Rutgers. Maybe. That's the best case after you play the western non-P5 teams this year. If Warde can do better, kudos to him. But his actions and this news suggest it ain't happening.

The fan base is already disenfranchised. There is no point in supporting a sports team in this area that has no chance to ever be competitive when every other major team around here is a perennial contender. There was one game last year where the stadium was half full after halftime, that was the Michigan game. This program is on life support. Maybe Diaco can save it. Maybe Herbst can. I hope so.

Reaction Score
Obviously not good news but I go to watch UCONN win football games. I don't go to watch their opponents. People acting like Tennessee is something special; they haven't done anything of note in years. The Oakland Raiders were good ten years ago also...

I was unhappy after we lost to Michigan and happy when we beat UMASS. We need to be like Boise State, Utah, TCU, Northern Illinois, etc. and just win games against the best possible opponents. Winning will cure all ills and fans will come again.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Like others said, the reason all those AAC schools have the P5 schools is all about recruiting. I don't see RU playing us for the same reasons everyone here is anti-UMass. There's nothing but negatives to playing us. It gives us another i-road to NJ, if we beat them it could win recruits, etc. UConn is not in fertile recruiting grounds. There's no reason for a school to come here. That being said, UConn now needs to accept this reality and go on the road and beat some teams. Follow the Boise philosophy of playing anyone anywhere. That gets respect and maybe a game in NY due to that.

As for the Tenn series. The fact that it's suspended makes me want to believe that once we get our P5 lifeboat, Tennessee will want to rekindle the series. Should we not be P5 by 9/26/15, the date tweeted above, then UConn will get a nice check from Tennessee.

Reaction Score
I'm shocked by this. Shocked I say. And Warde was interviewing for VTech job knowing this game was a goner. He's sees the writing. I said it before in the "Warde beef up Schedule" thread...it is very possible Uconn never plays a game at the Rent again against a ranked team. Certainly not one versus a P5 team. There is no incentive to play in tiny stadium in a non-fertile recruiting area. Maybe you get a game vs Rutgers. Maybe. That's the best case after you play the western non-P5 teams this year. If Warde can do better, kudos to him. But his actions and this news suggest it ain't happening.

The fan base is already disenfranchised. There is no point in supporting a sports team in this area that has no chance to ever be competitive when every other major team around here is a perennial contender. There was one game last year where the stadium was half full after halftime, that was the Michigan game. This program is on life support. Maybe Diaco can save it. Maybe Herbst can. I hope so.

Please find another team to root for, or in your case piss on.

Reaction Score
If true this sucks. But we will move on. Solves 1 problem for me. I guess I can go to LSU v Wisconsin @ Lambeau that weekend instead of Rocky Top.

Reaction Score

You are here why?

The fan base is disenfranchised? Please do tell....Actually don't tell. If there is no point in supporting a sports team in this area I think you should go....far away.

Reaction Score
This sucks. My sister and her husband both went to UT and are die hard season ticket holders. Would of been nice to get together for both games. But as far as just losing UT, which isn't definite yet, I don't think it's as big of a deal as some are making it. We need to get this program back to where it was and then go further. That starts with wins, I mean Temple has played Penn St. quite often the past few years and look where that's gotten them. These games are good for exposure but if you don't win it doesn't matter.

Reaction Score
jcaprio90 said:
This sucks. My sister and her husband both went to UT and are die hard season ticket holders. Would of been nice to get together for both games. But as far as just losing UT, which isn't definite yet, I don't think it's as big of a deal as some are making it. We need to get this program back to where it was and then go further. That starts with wins, I mean Temple has played Penn St. quite often the past few years and look where that's gotten them. These games are good for exposure but if you don't win it doesn't matter.

My cousin graduated from UT and was a student athletic trainer for the woman's team for the last year's of Pat's coaching career. We've been talking about these games for a few years now. Bummerrrr.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Need to get more than 20,000 fannies in the seats. Not happening no matter what the record is. Hope I am wrong.
catintinfoil.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
Apparently you did not read down to the end of my post. It says QED and that ought to be good enough for the likes of you.
Now, good day, sir.

Reaction Score

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
sometimes you have to eat a crap sandwich, this is UCONN's time

Reaction Score
That's one way to look at it, but in college football, your rep is all you got. A smart guy, which Manuel, does actually strike me to be, could very well be able to play this thing well in our favor. By agreeing to open up two pretty big holes in our 2015 and 2016 schedules to accommodate the relatively new AD at Tennessee, and avoid writing checks, and that kind of thing (and remember - there is a history between the athletic departments at Tennessee and UCONN).this kind of thing can hopefully turn into some kind of favor that can be returned later when it comes to the business interactions of intercollegiate athletics.

Let's just hope that it's a favor that turns into something good for UCONN, and not for Warde Manuel.

I'm very curious to see what kind of filler we get in 2015 and 2016 for the spots that had been reserved for Tennessee since 2008. The schedules Manuel inherited were a mess, but given what's out there about this, this isn't Florida State losing West Virginia and having to replace them with Savannah State and having a fit about it. This apparently has been known for some time.

Thank you for your sanity amongst these haters of Warde. Sometimes when I am reading these people I cannot find Uconn football. Their version of Uconn is that of a top 10 program that can call up any of the top 20 for a game and have ringing back in a second. The Uconn I know is fighting to get a life, win games, put people in the stadium and recruit players. In a word- building. It was the arrogance of these people that forced us into problems with programs such as BC, etc. Amassing social capital is a strategy that these people are impatient with.(Yes, my HS teacher taught me never to end a sentence with --'with' and other ......)

Reaction Score
The only saving grace that can come out of this is if Warde can wring generous concessions out of the Tenn. A.D. in return for "suspending" this series. If he can get the series increased (say doubled) & starting in 2018, then this "suspension" will have been worth it.

Reaction Score

I prefer to stay positive.Very confident this will be good for us as it works out.
How positive.....like all is not lost til you're lost.. and maybe better things are coming.
I always stay positive by thinking (perhaps fat chance( that we would be part of the TN 9 game in conference schedule as a member
of the SEC. or that we get swept up by the B1G.
We were all taught never to stop until the whistle blows so there is still someone to hit ......right now and go after.
Until then, my reply to the poster is this...hope you line up against me in the trenches because negative posters like you suck.

Reaction Score
Well I have 2 U.S Senators and 5 Reps side against Tennessee in anything they find near and dear. Connecticut has absolutely gotten porked in this whole conference reshuffling. And again, good neighbor ESPN does nothing to assist it's home state university. That should cost them.

Reaction Score
Thank you for your sanity amongst these haters of Warde. Sometimes when I am reading these people I cannot find Uconn football. Their version of Uconn is that of a top 10 program that can call up any of the top 20 for a game and have ringing back in a second. The Uconn I know is fighting to get a life, win games, put people in the stadium and recruit players. In a word- building. It was the arrogance of these people that forced us into problems with programs such as BC, etc. Amassing social capital is a strategy that these people are impatient with.(Yes, my HS teacher taught me never to end a sentence with --'with' and other .)

I don't think it was as much arrogance, as it was just being misguided in priorities for about 8-10 years after the first men's b-ball national championship. There is plenty O arrogance out there, and the success of the basketball conference, and our own basketball programs was plenty of fuel for arrogance - it was misguided though, and it pissed the power brokers off in many places. I think it would be hard to find anyone in a position of significant power in the landscape that isn't arrogant. Human nature. UCONN leadership, following the lead of the Big East leadership, after Lew Perkins left, simply failed to grasp what the true driving forces are in intercollegiate athletics and what had been driving things since the 1980s. It wasn't until the university leadership got completely spanked by Pitt and Syracuse leaving in september of what 2011 now? that the reality set in - basketball does not rule.

We have leadership in place now, that I believe understands all of it, and we simply need to keep building. THere is no reason to think that we cannot climb to the top of heap in football, just as we did in basketball.

I do think that Warde Manuel, can bank some good will and future favors by opening up the schedules without a fight to Tennessee - but as I noted - my hope (and fear) is that good will and future favors is for UCONN, and not personally for Warde Manuel.

But patience - you nailed it - patience is key. You only get 12 games a year in football, and you got to recruit, recruit, recruit. YOu can't expect to climb the heap with one or two top level recruits - you need 15-20 of them every year.

Reaction Score
The only saving grace that can come out of this is if Warde can wring generous concessions out of the Tenn. A.D. in return for "suspending" this series. If he can get the series increased (say doubled) & starting in 2018, then this "suspension" will have been worth it.

Yeah but in our lifetimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET