No Syracuse schadenfreude? | The Boneyard

No Syracuse schadenfreude?

Reaction Score
Based on what I observed in chat, I was sure there’d be a thread on this. After taking a peek at their board, I’m overwhelmed with gratitude for the state of our program. This may be sacrilege, but I kinda feel bad for their fan base. What an unmitigated mess.

Reaction Score
Based on what I observed in chat, I was sure there’d be a thread on this. After taking a peek at their board, I’m overwhelmed with gratitude for the state of our program. This may be sacrilege, but I kinda feel bad for their fan base. What an unmitigated mess.
Who?

Reaction Score
Want to know the truth about Syracuse? They’re about 10 years behind us…if they’re lucky. Syracuse is in for a brutal ride, and it couldn’t have happened to a more deserving school. I hope they enjoy a sub .500 Jim Boeheim for another year, becuase after that, they’ll have to endure whoever tries to fill his shoes and fails for 5 years after. (Spoiler alert, the follow-up coaching act never works out!) Then if they’re lucky, there’s an incredibly slim chance that a program changing coach will be available within that year’s coaching carousel. Even then, the chances of getting the guy they want to take on a rebuild job in Canada will be nearly impossible. By that point, the program will be a disastrous mess filled with low end recruits and an ugly reputation of losing. (See Boston College, Pittsburgh, and Miami)

Moving to the ACC was a foolish move by the school, they’re just too proud to admit it. They’ve somehow managed to implode their program, and are on a serious fast track to losing all basketball credibility. Just remember, all power conferences have perennial bottom feeders.

But hey - they wanted that ACC money over basketball tradition and rivalries! You’ve made your bed, now sleep in it. Good riddance, Orange.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
It's really incredible how every single program that left the Big East has gone downhill. A few have been decent (West Virginia comes to mind) but most have become complete trainwrecks. There's no doubt in my mind that we made the right call *going back to the Big East.

*(yes, I know we technically never left)

Reaction Score
They're going to be in for a rude awakening when Boeheim retires and they realize that no good coach will want to take over the program. There is no more appeal for them in the ACC anymore. With K and Roy gone, UofL, Pitt, UVA, ND, etc all stink...how do you even recruit there anymore?

Sad!

Reaction Score
Syracuse will be fine in the long run. They are suffering from being at the end of the career of a legendary coach which usually does not go well in either college basketball or college football. But, unlike college football, you can bounce back very quickly in college basketball so if Syracuse hires a good coach, they will be back to being a good program. As we have learned at UConn, it's easy to make a poor hire after a legendary coach retires.

Sure, the Big East would be a better situation for their basketball program, but it's not like the ACC is the AAC as it is still a very good basketball conference with lots of media visibility. And, Syracuse does have a large fan base, good facilities, and they are close to the recruits in the Northeast.

Reaction Score
Does anybody like Boeheim? Oh I guess his family does.

Reaction Score
It's really incredible how every single program that left the Big East has gone downhill. A few have been decent (West Virginia comes to mind) but most have become complete trainwrecks. There's no doubt in my mind that we made the right call *going back to the Big East.

*(yes, I know we technically never left)
Well...yes and no. How many of those schools are 40+ MILLION in the hole financially? Look...realist speaking here and am a fan of both programs. SU is a mess right now and I'm probably in the minority that feels Boeheim should have been gone, but I'm also not going to sit here and act as if playing in the current Big East is some great benefit. We all know ...it isn't.

Reaction Score
The last time Syracuse was been in the Top 25 of Kenpom after January 1st was 2014.

Even with our struggles, we've done it 4 times.

They're a has been program with a has been coach.
They did make a final 4 in 2016 and then the sweet 16 in 2018 and last year. That counts way more than being in the regular season kenpom 25 imho. Certainly much better than us the past 6-7 years.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Well...yes and no. How many of those schools are 40+ MILLION in the hole financially? Look...realist speaking here and am a fan of both programs. SU is a mess right now and I'm probably in the minority that feels Boeheim should have been gone, but I'm also not going to sit here and act as if playing in the current Big East is some great benefit. We all know ...it isn't.

I don't sit back and reminisce on the time my school earned $72 million in revenue for the fiscal year. I want my team to win. I wouldn't trade a good season capped off by a deep NCAA run for a big check. Never understood that train of thought.

Reaction Score
I don't sit back and reminisce on the time my school earned $72 million in revenue for the fiscal year. I want my team to win. I wouldn't trade a good season capped off by a deep NCAA run for a big check. Never understood that train of thought.
I like winning as much as anyone, but as a CT taxpayer, it would be nice if it came at a cheaper expense. I'm certain those who pay the tuition would agree with this. We all know...this whole conference thing is about revenue. I can't argue with any school's decision to secure its financial future...because as much as I like sports, the priority has to be securing the financial integrity of an educational institution. Both can be achieved.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom