No surprise. No counterpunch from coaching staff. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

No surprise. No counterpunch from coaching staff.

Reaction Score
Rewatch the last play. It’s completely on Tyrese. If he passes to Adama on time he has Aiken on him. Hurley drew up a play and got exactly what he wanted.
You can’t be talking about the last play when Martin ended up turning it over right? I mean there was never an avenue to pass to Adama at all on that one, plus it was always Obiagu bodying up on AS, he actually did a nice job. You can see it on Kitamans thread on the “last play” real well.

Reaction Score
I'm curious what all the DH haters actually want? Do you want him fired?
Make in game scheme and personnel adjustments to counter opponent's actions that are being successful.

Design and drill out of bounds and end of clock/game offensive plays that team can execute. Expect the other team to get aggressive and take away some of your best stuff so scheme must have quick options that players understand.

Too often let clock run down too late (end of half Cole dribbles too much and gives Polley ball too late) and guy who ends up with ball has the "who me?" look.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Yes, and this leads to a lot of the scoring droughts and end of game problems. Without players that can initiate and create, you rely on perfect execution from players that quite frankly are easy to defend and don't really threaten the defense. Poor roster construction with the lack of effective guards is on Hurley. I suspect his end of coaching will improve as the backcourt talent improves. My beef is he has had ample time to do it already and hasn't addressed it nearly enough. Not sure if his loyalty is hurting him here or what but it's an issue. Seton Hall just had more weapons and more ways to beat you on offense. Not ignoring the coaching but having multiple versatile options matter. At the end of the day it's a guards game.
How many people on this board salivate about a kid who can go NBA after a year or two and think it’s great for the program. So Bouknight leaves and that’s on Hurley that the replacement isn’t Bouknight reincarnated. Hawkins was supposedly that guy but if he’s going to be, it is, as they say, a work in progress. Was Diggins a mistake? People on the board liked that we got him. Did Hurley make a blunder in recruiting Jackson who was touted as crazy athletic, good with the ball and a potential dominator. He’s a few of those things but not the scoring threat that would make Cole‘s life much easier. Gaffney had a pretty good resume coming out of his. Bouknight left and that certainly impacted the construction of the team in a bunch of ways, including viable options to go to in close games. Not that many one on one guys with range that need to be accounted for. I’m not convinced the absence of a well constructed team is a recruiting failure unless we think everyone else who recruited these kids was wrong.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
You can’t be talking about the last play when Martin ended up turning it over right? I mean there was never an avenue to pass to Adama at all on that one, plus it was always Obiagu bodying up on AS, he actually did a nice job. You can see it on Kitamans thread on the “last play” real well.
Rewatch the last play. It’s completely on Tyrese. If he passes to Adama on time he has Aiken on him. Hurley drew up a play and got exactly what he wanted.

The only time I see an opening it s brief one right after the screen. But they would’ve gotten sanogo the ball further from the basket than they wanted

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
A34B857E-2CEF-4551-8D0D-BE11A66711BD.jpeg

Reaction Score
Make in game scheme and personnel adjustments to counter opponent's actions that are being successful.

Design and drill out of bounds and end of clock/game offensive plays that team can execute. Expect the other team to get aggressive and take away some of your best stuff so scheme must have quick options that players understand.

Too often let clock run down too late (end of half Cole dribbles too much and gives Polley ball too late) and guy who ends up with ball has the "who me?" look.
Ok. That's a solid answer. Do you think Hurley is reading this?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Tyrese had probably half a second to make a pass but he couldn’t get it off. If he does, Hurley is a genius.

Reaction Score
So do you guys think Oates sucks also because Bama was rated above us but has 4 losses all against unranked teams? Hurley has some growing to do just like Jay Wright when he first took over Nova. I will let the season play out a little before I throw Danny overboard

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
The only time I see an opening it s brief one right after the screen. But they would’ve gotten sanogo the ball further from the basket than they wanted
I’m probably grasping but Adama has a clear path to the bucket. Maybe Richmond can come over and help but it probably leads to a foul at worst.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I’m probably grasping but Adama has a clear path to the bucket. Maybe Richmond can come over and help but it probably leads to a foul at worst.

Or the pass has to be far enough away that sanogo is again, too far from the basket and off the block and it’s more like a baseline jumper for the win.

Which is better than no shot, but not the play design

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
It’s the coaches job to have his players prepared to execute end of game situations. Our players consistently are deer in headlights in the final minutes.
I wish everyone here could watch every game D1 that goes down to the wire and then figure out how different Hurley is. Not so different.

Reaction Score
idiotic response… didn’t have our main point guard at end of game and some bad turnovers for no reason during game. That’s no on Coaches. That was the difference. Plenty of counter punches. Sucks we lost but great game after nothing for past two weeks.
Sorry, but we don't have a main point guard. And that IS on Coach.

Reaction Score
Basketball......... like soccer, field hockey and ice hockey is a game of triangles. To get the ball from player A to player B, often the best route is indirect......... to player C first, who then passes to player B. This is high school mechanics, seemingly beyond the comprehension of the playground in-your-face, highlight-reel, one-on-one style endemic to UConn.

Reaction Score
I wish everyone here could watch every game D1 that goes down to the wire and then figure out how different Hurley is. Not so different.
True. Of course, you’re hoping for the guy that is different.. better than average.

Reaction Score
Tyrese had probably half a second to make a pass but he couldn’t get it off. If he does, Hurley is a genius.
He didn’t because the D was set up anticipating that the ball was going to Adama. Now, because a second string scoring threat is no present, they could afford the double and collapse and lightly defend the off ball wing.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
True. Of course, you’re hoping for the guy that is different.. better than average.
Yeah, but only John Wooden and maybe Dean Smith had few games that came down to the wire. Aren’t that many like that. I get we put our own coach under a microscope but I’ve seen plenty enough games with top notch teams that have lousy results and broken plays at game end or have even a star go off on them let alone some sub you don’t design a defense for. I kinda think a case can be made that it’s amazing how well the team played against a really good team on the road right after a really messed up unplanned long layoff. And the Big East is loaded with talent even on the least of the teams. We did win a few close games this year against good to very good opposition.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but only John Wooden and maybe Dean Smith had few games that came down to the wire. Aren’t that many like that. I get we put our own coach under a microscope but I’ve seen plenty enough games with top notch teams that have lousy results and broken plays at game end or have even a star go off on them let alone some sub you don’t design a defense for. I kinda think a case can be made that it’s amazing how well the team played against a really good team on the road right after a really messed up unplanned long layoff. And the Big East is loaded with talent even on the least of the teams. We did win a few close games this year against good to very good opposition.
Your narrative is tiring. This has happened over and over the past 2-3 seasons with this coach. No in-game adjustments, losing winnable games at an alarming rate, blowing late leads. You provide the evidence of all the teams it happens to as much as ours with the same coach and the same talent and then maybe we'll have something to talk about. For now, I think most people on this board only care about it happening over and over and over again to ONE team in particular.

Reaction Score
Hurley is 6-18 in games decided by 4 points or less at UConn. That's very different than most and a glaring weakness he needs to fix ASAP.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom